Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Joan Crawford goes to the Supermarket

With a little blond brat ("I want a wierdo...I wanna RED one!") you so wish Joan would belt.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 60004/15/2013

"Tomahtoes," of course she says, "tomahtoes!"

What a phony!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 203/26/2013

There's a 2-for-1 sale on Bon Ami in aisle 8.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 303/26/2013

Because r1, she's not one of her FANS!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 403/26/2013

I think the store was a Grand Union.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 503/26/2013

Oh god, that really taxed my brain. Extreme suspension of disbelief.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 603/26/2013

At the 1:20 as the camera pulls in close to the vending machine you can see that the one next to it is dispenses Monkees trinkets.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 703/26/2013

ROTFLMAO!!! Joan looks like she wants to slap the shit out of this little brat.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 803/26/2013

I wonder what would happen if the little pixie asked Joan to "fixted my cheesebwuggah".

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 903/26/2013

But, Joan! I want a COKE!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 1003/26/2013

Was this the first time Joan was ever in a supermarket?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 1103/26/2013

R2, Bette was a phony, too. I've always suspected her so-called Yankee accent was a put-on. If you go to 00:48 in this old bloopers clip, you can see how she quickly changes from the Mid-Atlantic accent to her natural speaking voice after she messes up. Yet in formal interviews thereafter and for the rest of her life, she always said "cahnt" and other affectations.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 1203/26/2013

Joan, you forgot to buy the vodka again!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 1303/26/2013

I like this thread.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 1403/26/2013

It's green! Like the grass, like the trees..like Frankenstein's monster..

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 1603/26/2013

They came from GOD!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 1703/26/2013

Another Eastmancolor film fading away, much like its star. Joan should have insisted on Technicolor!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 1803/26/2013

Wow, they say don't work with children and animals - it should be don't work with Joan Crawford. Look at how she steals the opening scene just by constantly adjusting her hat!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 1903/26/2013

LOL R16

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 2003/26/2013

This is too hilarious! I'm so surprised Joan Crawford would step foot in a supermarket. She must have been really desperate for attention at that time because her career was obliterated.R16, you cracked me up! LOL! There are many posts on this thread that is too hilarious!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 2103/26/2013

I'm sure this was sponsored by Pepsi.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 2203/26/2013

R22, You're funny. Did you not read the description?

I wonder if Joan really did know how to make gazpacho and paella. She was a San Antonian after all.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 2303/26/2013

"Nevermind! Don't answer! Just eat your wierdo...AND CHOKE ON IT, you little SLUT!"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 2403/26/2013

Joan was actually an accomplished cook, she wrote some recipes for "My Way of Life" and once said that if she hadn't have been an actress she would've liked to have been a chef.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 2503/26/2013

Tina, bring me the lobster!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 2603/26/2013

R23, those dishes are Spanish not Mexican.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 2703/26/2013

After the shoot, Joan twisted that child's feet between the bars of that shopping cart, and pushed her little ass into traffic. Then she beat the shit out of her.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 2803/26/2013

I wonder if Joan will run into Judy and Liza at the check-out...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 2903/26/2013

After reading R28's post, I miss Joan so much!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 3003/26/2013

She made that little autistic bitch conform!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 3103/26/2013

R29, that is a good question, why haven't those fruitcakes on YouTube done a skit Joan yet? She is one the official queens of all queerdom.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 3203/26/2013

LOL @ R31

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 3303/26/2013

R28 has a gift.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 3403/27/2013

Are there any women here who were girls in that era and can remember what it was like to have to wear such short dresses? It looks like the poor girls were almost guaranteed to flash their underpants if they skipped or ran or even sat the wrong way.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 3503/27/2013

I was born in '72 r35 so I just missed that but always wondered about that with Jan and Cindy on the Brady Bunch.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 3603/27/2013

Little girls wore similar short dresses in the 1930s. Watch a Shirley Temple movie or Darla in OUR GANG (aka LITTLE RASCALS). Watch this scene where Shirley sings "The Good Ship Lollipop" in a very short dress. It's kinda disturbing how the grown men seem to be ogling her and start passing her around.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 3703/27/2013

Oh, no. Not rhubarb.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 3803/27/2013

R27, Yes, I know that, but many old San Antonian families trace their lineage to Galicia and the Canary Islands, so I thought that that may have influenced Crawford's culinary tastes. But, upon reading more about Crawford, I discovered that she spent her formative years in Oklahoma and Kansas City, MO, so disregard my previous comment.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 3903/27/2013

Joan seems to be the only one that is fascinated by the wonders of the supermarket and the fact that they have stuff there.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 4003/27/2013

She intones every line. I love how fussily she pronounces "Spanish sausage." I imagine she was quite the expert in trolling meat markets for Spanish sausage.

What do you suppose the back story to this trip to the wonderful world of the supermarket is? I imagine the little girl's mother is the grown daughter of some beloved lighting technician on the set of many of Crawford's pictures. Joan invited the woman and her little girl over for lunch in a deliberate ploy to score a trip to the market and back, Crawford being between chauffeurs, having docked the last one a day's wages for exceeding 45 mph on the freeway.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 4103/27/2013

Did they not call it chorizo back then?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 4203/27/2013

[quote]Ann Miller on register four

Don't you mean "fahr"?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 4303/27/2013

It's remarkable that the child was portrayed as not just obnoxious and charmless but so arrogantly stupid("Where do you think milk comes from? The SUPERMARKET!").

Joan's loathing for her is barely concealed and only increases as the film progresses.

Mitzi's mom breathes a quiet sign of relief as she breaks away, leaving star and child to roam the aisles together.

Mitzi never saw her mother again.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 4403/27/2013

I was a child in that time period, and am female. When you're a kid you don't care or notice if your panties show. I remember a friend of mine who was a few years younger than me, in church she was always all over her seat, as a kid would be, an her mother was constantly pulling her dress down to keep her panties from showing. People were naive back then, and didnt seem to realize how many sickos there were. There were plenty.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 4503/27/2013

Lol, loved it. Great Op!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 4603/27/2013

I also love it, particularly that regal tone Joan uses when she says: "like the grass, like the trees" and then "like Frankenstein's monster".

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 4703/27/2013

I got a kick out of those white gloves Joan wore. I bet when she got out of there those gloves looked like she'd been chopping down rose bushes.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 4803/27/2013

Whatever Joan's shortcomings as a person, as an actress whether she was filming this or "TROG" or "Mildred Pierce", she really did give it her all.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 4903/27/2013

Those Weirdos didn't look edible. Why did Joan tell her to eat it?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 5003/27/2013

Boy, entranceways to supermarkets haven't changed at all, have they?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 5103/27/2013

"You twist it Joan". Wonder how many times Joan heard that line....? Eat your weirdo.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 5203/27/2013

R50 because it was toxic. Joan knew it would cause a painful death.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 5303/27/2013

My response to any who annoy me from this moment on, "eat your weirdo."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 5403/27/2013

[quote]Whatever Joan's shortcomings as a person, as an actress whether she was filming this or "TROG" or "Mildred Pierce", she really did give it her all.

Very true. Joan managed to make a little video quite amusing, out of the boring task of going to the supermarket. Few others could do that.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 5503/27/2013

[quote]Those Weirdos didn't look edible. Why did Joan tell her to eat it?

I know. The mother even describes it at the beginning as a "rubbery, plastic, little monster thing"? That would be like telling a kid now to eat their Silly Putty, which I'm sure is just as toxic.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 5603/27/2013

I love that last shot of the mother just walking away in the supermarket, to be swallowed up.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 5703/27/2013

"Eat your Weirdo."

"I can't eat a Wei..."

"Tina, bring me the axe!"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 5803/27/2013

What the fuck was that last part? The pilot for Supermarket Sweep?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 5903/27/2013

R59, I know! It was so abrupt and for a minute, I thought it was some kinda 60s riot.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 6003/27/2013

Who were these short films shown to, anyhow?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 6103/27/2013

I wonder if Joan was a couponer? Did she collect S&H Green Stamps?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 6303/27/2013

Joan drove a station wagon.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 6403/27/2013

Stuff of nightmares. Seriously.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 6503/27/2013

The jingle is still in my head and it's creeping me out.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 6603/27/2013

I was entranced by this.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 6703/27/2013

Why is it called The Big Rock Candy Mountain? There are no big rocks, no candy and no mountains to be seen in the whole damn picture.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 6803/27/2013

Apparently, plastic, rubbery Weirdos are candy.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 6903/27/2013

They edited out the part where she couldn't find the Spanish SOW-sage and she strangled the cashier and you could see the cashier's UNDERPANTS.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 7003/27/2013

[quote]Joan drove a station wagon.

I imagine that it was sponsored by Pepsico for the image.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 7103/27/2013

What was the ultimate point of this video besides making sure we saw a case of PEPSI on the checkout counter?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 7203/27/2013

I'm sorry, but not since Un Chien Andalou has a film left me this confused. What is going on here? There are so many strange things. The confrontational way Crawford asks the little girl where does she think meat comes from. The bizarre inner monologue she has at the check-out. Even the title "The Big Rock Candy Mountain" is strange. Why was this even made? Who was the intended audience? What is it's message?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 7303/27/2013

Liza: Fritos and Cheetos!

Judy: And Pepsi too.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 7403/27/2013

Based on what we saw, I assume Pepsico owned Frito-Lay even back then.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 7503/27/2013

I'm with r73. I need insight. Please.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 7603/27/2013

LOL R11! My thoughts exactly.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 7703/27/2013

True R39-- she was a shopgirl at some dept. store downtown on Petticoat Lane I believe. Petticoat Lane was the adopted name of the street where all the fashionable woman's stores were.

That video and this thread is delightful.. and yes, I also wanted to slap that child.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 7803/27/2013

LOL.. This thread is one of the reason I love DL and you guys!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 7903/27/2013

[quote]Why was this even made? Who was the intended audience? What is it's message?

WE are its intended audience. As in 2001: A Space Odyssey where the monoliths were placed within our solar system by an advanced inter-galactic race for mankind to discover at various stages in its evolution, so this short film was made in anticipation of our unearthing it decades hence to point the way toward a fabulous future where once again civilized human beings will don chapeaux and white gloves to do their marketing.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 8003/27/2013

Christina! Cleanup on aisle 4!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 8103/27/2013

Little girl: What are you looking for now?

Joan: Spanish sausage.

Little girl: What's that?

Joan: The nickname we gave Fernando Lamas at MGM.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 8203/27/2013

Little girl: Oh, that's right! Mommy says you like them uncut.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 8303/27/2013

I like how Joan can turn a simple infomercial into a high art commentary on social activity. This isn't your run-of-the-mill trip to the local grocer, but rather a study of mores, future trends and culture as a whole.

By the way, the "red" Weirdo is the MacGuffin. The "green" Weirdo is the red herring.

I bet you Davis could never pull this shit off!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 8403/27/2013

Theatrical, indeed.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 8503/27/2013

Don't fuck with me kid. This ain't my first time at the supermarket

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 8603/27/2013

"Oh, Joan! Why can't YOU be my mommy?"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 8703/27/2013

Careful what you wish for, missy!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 8803/27/2013

I love the stomp sound on the floor mat (courtesy of Missy) to activate the automatic swinging door for whatever reason.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 8903/27/2013

Christina! Get me that Spanish sausage!

NO NO NO, not in aisle three. He's moved to aisle seven.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 9003/27/2013

I've watched this thing like 9 times already. Every time I watch it I find something new to focus on. This last time was seeing how many times I could eye Pepsi placements...I counted three.

And I would so love to own that station wagon. They just don't make long cars like that anymore.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 9103/27/2013

"I want a RED one!"

"Red - like cheap lipstick. Like the welts on your ass. Like a bloody jaw. Like THE FLAMES OF HELL!"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 9203/27/2013

I watched it 3 times, R91.

I was about the age of the kid at the time and watching it feels like being in a time tunnel.

But it's also one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 9303/27/2013

I long to see the companion piece in which the young mother and little Missy accompany Judy Garland on a trip to the pharmacy.

"You love your Aunt Judy, don't you, kid? Don't you? Hold still, kid, let Aunt Judy give you a kiss . . . shh, put these in your pocket and don't take them out until we're back in the car, got it?"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 9403/28/2013

You get a glimpse of Joan's girdle bulge and panty lines as the little girl drags her toward the vending machines. For a second her frock clings most unflatteringly to her well-trussed torso.

The script contains drama. Joan is going to make a Spanish dinner but only if she can find everything she needs. She rattles off a fairly long list but oh, joy, it's all there under one roof, including the Pepsi-Cola.

The Big Rock Candy Mountain is a reference to the folk song about a magical land of free and abundant sweets that even includes cigarette trees. You can sort of see the comparison to a supermarket back when they were relatively new. Was this made to show food producers the importance of getting their products onto supermarket shelves?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 9503/28/2013

She sounded out of breath when digging through te meat case. Too many cigarette and vodka lunches.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 9603/28/2013

Why does she say towards the end, "for my young friend, the supermarket is the big cupboard in the sky"? Aren't places described as being "in the sky" where you go after you're dead? Does Joan plan on killer the little girl before they leave the store?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 9703/28/2013

I cannot stop watching the part where the mother makes a break for it.

I wonder if Joan carried and loaded her shopping bags into the station wagon herself or did she use a bag boy to do it for her. Did she tip him? Why did the mother run off without a shopping cart? Did Joan wait for the mother by the car? Did they discuss a meetup time off camera? If the mother did not appear at the car in a timely manner, did Joan speed off with Mitzie or leave her in the parking lot? Is Mitzie spelled with an "ie" or "y"? How did one set up a shopping trip with Ms.Crawford? Was Mitiie and the mom invited to Ms. Crawford's fiesta? Was Joan sleeping or looking to seduce Mitzie's dad?

I want to interview the woman who played the young girl. It is her sister that uploaded the clip on youtube. Can the DL Special Events Dept make it happen?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 9803/28/2013

Green! Like the grass, like the trees...like Christina's bruises after a few days...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 9903/28/2013

Mitzi!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 10003/28/2013

Another question: why did this short devote such a large chunk of its brief running time to the weirdo? Did Pepsi-Cola make weirdos?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 10103/28/2013

Can someone explain the rhubarb "joke" to me (at least I think it's supposed to be a joke)?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 10203/28/2013

If only this were filmed today, Joan could say, "Mitzi, bring me the Axe..bodyspray, from aisle 7, with Men's Furnishings! This supermarket is wonderful, paella ingredients and something for the other Spanish sausage to freshen up with."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 10303/28/2013

Does Joan think the weirdo is candy? She tells the girl to eat it.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 10403/28/2013

I love Joan's alternately precise diction combined with what I'm guessing is vodka induced slurring.

And her elevated enunciation of "syoo-per-mah-kit".

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 10503/28/2013

Kids didn't like rhubarb so they didn't think God made it.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 10603/28/2013

[quote]I love Joan's alternately precise diction combined with what I'm guessing is vodka induced slurring.

She almost slurs when she asks the girl, "Where do you think meat comes from?" she just stops short of saying "meats" as in "Where do you think meats comes from?"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 10703/28/2013

r104, In the parking lot Mitzi's mom tells Joan a wierdo is "a rubbery, plastic little monster thing".

So naturally Joan ordered Mitzi to eat it.

I love that the person who posted the video on YouTube is the brother or sister of Mitzi.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 10803/28/2013

This fucking short is weird an a "Forbidden Zone" kind of way. I can't believe that with all the shorts they ripped on, this never made it to the MST3K gang.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 10903/28/2013

She got drunk and followed the mother and girl home that night, causing an ugly scene. They caught it all on their Brownie- in glorious B+W.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 11003/28/2013

I hope some enterprising drag queen does a re-do, with all the original dialogue. No alterations.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 11103/28/2013

I want RED Weirdos! JUNGLE RED!!!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 11203/28/2013

Even in the harsh fluorescent glare of that supermarket, Joan managed to find her key light.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 11303/28/2013

I have a few questions:

1. Was it common to find live lobsters and Spanish sausage for sale in 1960s supermarkets?

2. Who's idea was it for Joan to shop for a Spanish dinner? Did the average American know what paella and gazpacho was in the 1960s? She might as well have been shopping for Ethiopian food back then.

3. Why is Joan wearing gloves and a hat to go grocery shopping?

4. Why does Joan use both hands to turn the gumball machine lever?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 11403/28/2013

That kid is an angel compared to the screaming raging hellions in supermarkets today.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 11503/28/2013

It's also weird in the 60s to have a young kid address an adult as "Joan."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 11603/28/2013

[quote] Was it common to find live lobsters and Spanish sausage for sale in 1960s supermarkets?

[quote]Who's idea was it for Joan to shop for a Spanish dinner? Did the average American know what paella and gazpacho was in the 1960s? She might as well have been shopping for Ethiopian food back then.

I think that's the purpose of the clip, to show you could get everyone at the supermarket.

[quote]Why is Joan wearing gloves and a hat to go grocery shopping?

Women dressed up much more in those days and she's Joan Crawford.

[quote]Why does Joan use both hands to turn the gumball machine lever?

She wouldn't be able to turn it otherwise, she's slightly drunk.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 11703/28/2013

I remember that station wagon. It was a 1969 Ford LTD with wood on the side. They were everywhere back then.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 11803/28/2013

I love the mother...NO! you already have a wierdo!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 11903/28/2013

[quote]It's also weird in the 60s to have a young kid address an adult as "Joan."

I think it's to make her seem approachable, like she's an aunt or such.

[quote]Even in the harsh fluorescent glare of that supermarket, Joan managed to find her key light.

I surprised Joan didn't demand the lights be turned down to film-noir levels and the lens be smeared with Vaseline. She's shot remarkably clearly.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 12003/28/2013

I meant "everything".

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 12103/28/2013

[quote] 1. Was it common to find live lobsters and Spanish sausage for sale in 1960s supermarkets?

Can't vouch for the Spanish sausage, but at least 2 of the supermarkets I went to with my family in the 1960s and 1970s in So Cal had live lobster tanks in their seafood/meat departments.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 12203/28/2013

You had it right the first time r121.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 12303/28/2013

"Joan, don't forget to pick up some caahrn so I can use my cahrn cahb holders."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 12403/28/2013

Get some powdered donuts too, Joan. I love a good powdered donut.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 12503/28/2013

R1234, why would Ann Miller pronounce "corn" and "cob" like that? She was from Texas, not Boston. My Bostonian grandparents (born and bred) pronounce it like that.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 12603/28/2013

Now every time I peruse the meat department of my local Kroger, I'm going to pretend I'm looking for Spanish sausage. I may even ask one of the workers where I might find the Spanish sausage(pronounced sow-sage, for full effect).

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 12703/28/2013

Here you go R126

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 12803/28/2013

Are you serious r126? It's an affectation.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 12903/28/2013

Sorry wrong clip. Her's the right one R126

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 13003/28/2013

Obviously, she's wearing gloves so that you don't see the varicose veins, liver spots and knuckle wrinkles in the hand closeups.

And she's wearing a hat because they couldn't convince Sydney Guilaroff to come out of retirement to set and style her hair.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 13103/28/2013

I wasn't gonna pay someone to do my hair for a Christing trip to the market r131!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 13203/28/2013

Joan totally kicked the little girl into traffic then slit her mothers throat.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 13303/28/2013

Then ate some pussy

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 13403/29/2013

[quote]I want RED Weirdos! JUNGLE RED!!!

That would be WRONG! Shockingly WRONG!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 13503/29/2013

Will Mitzi be making an appearance at MichFest this year?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 13603/29/2013

I wonder if Joan wrote a check to pay for the groceries? Did it say "Mrs. Alfred Steele"? Did they ask her for ID? (I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have needed it for the alcohol purchases.)

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 13703/29/2013

Dear, the groceries were free. After all, I put supermarkets on the map after this film.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 13803/29/2013

She signed it, "She Who Must Be Obeyed."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 13903/29/2013

Lol r134. It would have been great if Joan put then girl right in the lobster tank.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 14003/29/2013

Charge it all to Mr. Mayer's tab!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 14103/29/2013

Mrs. Alfred whosis? That lady said she was Barbara Bennett from Redbook! I'm gonna hafta call my manager!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 14203/29/2013

This thread is killing me. Brava, Op. I am picturing Joan putting shit on Mayer's tab, assaulting the little girl and maybe even chomping a weirdo. I love it.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 14403/29/2013

I like how Joan is billed as making a "special guest appearance" in this film.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 14503/29/2013

[quote]It's also weird in the 60s to have a young kid address an adult as "Joan."

What else could she call her? Women didn't go by "Ms." in those days. Miss Crawford makes her sound like a spinster. Mrs. Steele isn't the name of a movie star. And "Aunt Joan" would be fatal.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 14603/29/2013

R146 Grandma!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 14703/29/2013

Produced in cooperation with "THE FOOD INDUSTRY"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 14803/29/2013

r148 what about the Pepsi industry and the booze industry? Did they have supporting roles?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 14903/29/2013

God love the old monster, she managed to find the best possible lighting for her profile... at the real-life supermarket checkout!

That, my friends, is true dedication to one's craft.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 15003/29/2013

Did they cut the scene where she returns a case of Pepsi bottles for the deposit?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 15103/29/2013

"I'm sorry Miss Crawford, but the check you just wrote is from the account of someone named Lucille LeSoeur!"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 15203/29/2013

This is a metapizza.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 15303/29/2013

r146, actresses were routinely called "Miss" in those days (e.g. Miss Crawford, Miss Davis, Miss Garland)- it was the only title for a woman who hadn't taken her husband's name. It wouldn't have sounded spinster-ish to their ears back then when applied to an actress, because they would have been used to it.

I agree with whoever said that they had the girl call her "Joan" to make her seem more approachable and down-to-earth. Still, considering her well-known obsession with children's manners and decorum, it must have driven her crazy; I bet she had to grit her teeth every time the girl said it.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 15403/29/2013

Another thing arguing against the weirdo as being something edible: the fact that when the kid's asking for it in the beginning, the mother says, "No! You've got three weirdos at home!" Since any kid would of course eat a candy as soon as it's bought rather than stockpiling it to save for another day, it seems much likelier that weirdos are inedible toys.

Thus, I think we can definitively interpret Joan's instructions to the girl to eat her weirdo as an attempt to kill the little bitch...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 15503/29/2013

And we'll get Adrian to design my frock!!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 15603/29/2013

As if nobody had heard of supermarkets by 1969 and needed Joan Crawford (and "The Food Industry") to promote them.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 15703/29/2013

and now look what has happened to these "supermarkets"

I Say Tomahto, You Say Exploitation

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 15803/29/2013

I think Joan meant to say "play with " not "eat."

They just went with it.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 15903/29/2013

Pepsi was a leader in "one way" bottles, R151. If you look you can see that label on the Pepsi she is buying.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 16003/29/2013

I agree with R101. The line was probably "play with" but the preceding lines about food and the bottle of Beefeater she had for lunch confused the old gal. The director, who wanted nothing more than to put this turkey to bed, get home and smoke a spliff, said "fuck it" and let it slide.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 16103/29/2013

I wish the little girl had said..."Joan, those clams remind me that Mommy said you ate Marilyn Monroe's hairy pussy"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 16203/29/2013

[quote] the bottle of Beefeater she had for lunch confused the old gal

No Beefeater for Joan. She was a Smirnoff or Popov gal through and through.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 16303/29/2013

See Christina, you simply unsheath the sausage with your teeth, expose the tip and then suck the meat right out of the casing. Slide the sausage in and out of your mouth until done. Discreetly dispose of the casing in the nearest receptacle and reapply lipstick as needed.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 16403/29/2013

"I should've known you'd know where to find the Weirdos, Mitzi!"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 16503/29/2013

Where would this kind of film have been shown? Grocers' convention? At the drive-in between movies?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 16603/29/2013

It played the most in Miss Crawford's private screening room, R166. On a continuous loop, until she passed out from too many vodka Gimlets.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 16703/29/2013

[quote]As if nobody had heard of supermarkets by 1969 and needed Joan Crawford (and "The Food Industry") to promote them.

It's not that nobody had heard of them. In the 1960s many food producers like local dairies and industrial bakeries still peddled their wares using door-to-door delivery trucks and factory-owned retail outlets where they sold only their own products. I think this movie was not made for the general public but for companies within the "Food Industry," to stress the importance of getting their merchandise into supermarkets.

My grandfather worked at a large bread bakery that had been around for almost 100 years before it went bankrupt in the late 60s. Its chief rival switched its distribution strategy to rely primarily on supermarkets and it is still a thriving company today.

I think the "Eat your weirdo" comment is a joke on the so-called Generation Gap, showing how older people never quite understood what motivated anyone under the age of thirty.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 16803/29/2013

Okay, I have now watched this six times. Film schools should show this to students and not that boring Odessa Step scene from Potemkin.

I did a little research to try to find some more information about it. Who wrote it? Who are the actors? Who directed it and most importantly, who was supposed to see it? Sadly, I could find nothing. However it is interesting to note that the first mention of this in the net happened back in January when Gather.com did a post about it. In early March WorldofWonder.net got a hold of it and from there it exploded. It stared appearing on other sites and Michael Musto wrote about it. Read what Stargazing has to say about it. Its pretty damn funny.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 16903/29/2013

I love you r169!

"If the inability to avert one’s eyes were the sole measure of a film’s value, Big Rock Candy Mountain would be favorably compared to Citizen Kane!"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 17003/29/2013

Big Rock Candy Mountain?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 17103/29/2013

I just can't stop watching this. The checkout line voiceover featuring a polemic argument debating the ungodliness of rhubarb has to rank as one of the best scenes ever put on film.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 17203/29/2013

Thank you R169- Musto's take on this video is hilarious.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 17303/29/2013

Joan does "Password."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 17403/29/2013

Isn't R162 devastatingly funny?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 17503/30/2013

And who is playing a check-out girl? I say it's Diane Keaton (billed as "Diane Hall") in an early role.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 17603/30/2013

white gloves?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 17703/30/2013

R146, in real life Joan insisted that her grandkids call her "JoJo." And Christina claimed in [italic]Mommie Dearest[/italic] that when she was growing up, Joan wanted her friends from school to call her "Stinky."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 17803/30/2013

Joan took one of the Weirdos home and fed it and...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 17903/30/2013

R176, that cashier is played by none other than Ali McGraw just before she hit it big in Love Story.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 18003/31/2013

Rhubarb? Oh,no... not rhubarb.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 18103/31/2013

Mitzi, come here. Listen to me, you need to be nice to Joan, this is very hard for her. She had to do a screen test to get this part. Do you know what a screen test is?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 18203/31/2013

I love the moment of Joan picking out the lobster. It's a similar angle to the shot of Joan lovingly gazing on as her sister-in-law carves up a roast in STRAIT JACKET.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 18303/31/2013

Eat your weirdo!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 18403/31/2013

Does anyone else find this clip oddly soothing? Perhaps it takes me back to a simpler time when an outing to the grocery store was full of adventure and endless possibilities.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 18503/31/2013

I agree, r185, it brings back such memories.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 18603/31/2013

Do they even have those vending machines in supermarkets anymore? Maybe because it's something that no longer interests me, but I cant remember the last time I saw one.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 18703/31/2013

Didn't L.B. tell her that lobsters are trayf?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 18803/31/2013

Joan looked like she wanted to go by a nearby dry cleaners and get a wire hanger to use on that little brat.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 18903/31/2013

I wasn't around back then, but I always thought American taste in food was fairly provincial in the 60s.

This trade show featurette is supposed to make suppliers of food think they will have a huge market at the supermarket, but with Joan talking about Spanish cuisine and buying Lobster (high end) and Spanish Sow-sage (hard to find), this makes it seem very elitist, rather than popular.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 19003/31/2013

R190, Most people in 1969 were shopping for Swanson TV dinners, bologna and Jell-O. The fact that Queen Joan is under the impression that anyone knows what paella and gazpacho are is hilarious.

Leave it to Joan to come back from Piggly-Wiggly with fresh lobster, Spanish sausage, saffron, two liters of vodka....and a Weirdo.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 19103/31/2013

I think the reason they had her say she was making paella and gazpacho is because both of those dishes have a lot of different ingredients, some of them uncommon to most households at the time. The purpose of this film (from the best we can tell) was to encourage food suppliers to expand to supermarkets. What better way to demonstrate how diverse the selection at a supermarket could be than setting out to make something with 40* different items in it? I think R191 is right. I have a Good Housekeeping cook book my grandmother gave me from that time. While its very helpful with some basic things, the recipes are rather pedestrian.

* Obviously, I am exaggerating when I say 40.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 19203/31/2013

I love how we are all dissecting this little innocuous film with questions and theories as if it is the Rosetta Stone-like time capsule that holds the answers and solutions to all things gay and camp.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 19303/31/2013

It could very well be!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 19403/31/2013

[quote]The fact that Queen Joan is under the impression that anyone knows what paella and gazpacho are is hilarious.

R192 is right. Joan knew most Americans didn't buy such (then rare) ingredients. That's the point, to show how you can buy anything at the supermarket.

That those things are commonplace today makes the video dated however Joan obviously accomplished what she set out to do:

To promote Pepsi and bring the exotic to the common man.

And to keep her face on camera.(She would've never imagined that it'd be discussed in such detail today. I bet she'd be proud.)

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 19503/31/2013

God...if only John Waters had directed this...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 19603/31/2013

r177, Joan was a germophobe. She wore white gloves outdoors and white socks around the house. Luckily, no one looked twice at a "lady" wearing gloves on normal outings.

Love that shot of her picking out a spice from the spice section - it looks very faintly of Ms Crawford checking for dust.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 19703/31/2013

I can't believe no one has mentioned that the theme from "2001: A Space Odyssey" starts to play near the end - the film is cut off and we seague way into footage of a supermarket contest. What the hell kind of Zen heights was Joan's trip to the supermarket going to take after her metaphysical meditations at the check-out counter?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 19803/31/2013

I'm sure there was a world of dust lodged between Joan's legs.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 19903/31/2013

Is Joan trying to shove her tits in Little Mitzi's face at the 1:43 mark?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 20003/31/2013

Does anyone know what Mitzi says at the start before she makes her demand for a weirdo?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 20103/31/2013

^ She says, "I want a jawbreaker and a Weirdo!"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 20203/31/2013

I want someone to do a dance remix of this.

"Eat your wierdo. Eat your wierdo. Eat your wierdo."

"It's GREEEEEEEEEEEEN!"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 20303/31/2013

LOL R193. Color me guilty!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 20403/31/2013

Are we sure it's Mitzi?? I thought her name was Missy.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 20503/31/2013

It's *Missy*.

Same name as my parakeet at the time.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 20603/31/2013

Did grown women really wear hats like that, in the mid-sixties?

It looks like a little girls' hat, at least to me.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 20703/31/2013

[quote]Did grown women really wear hats like that, in the mid-sixties?

It's that girl, she's passed out under the tree. Pouring vodka into her Pepsi ice-tea.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 20803/31/2013

[quote]Did grown women really wear hats like that, in the mid-sixties?

Yes, but not to the supermarket. I wonder if Crawford was losing her hair. So many pictures of her from the late 60s and what she saw of the 70s has her in a hat, a turban or a wig.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 20903/31/2013

What about the gloves, R209?

Was she losing her fingers?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 21003/31/2013

R210 Age spots probably. She was very freckled. You can see them on her wrist in the shot when she is picking out the spice.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 21103/31/2013

Why does Joan insist that there's no such thing as a red Weirdo? Missy has clearly seen a red one before and that's why she wants one so badly. Joan had never even heard of a Weirdo, and now she's supposed to be an expert on them?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 21203/31/2013

Joan's reply about the Red Weirdo is supposed to give us a warm smile and the comforting thought that Crawford knows a thing or two about child psychology.

Of course, with what we know now about Crawford's approach to child psychology, it is not safe to assume that Missy ended the day with the same full head of hair she began it with.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 21303/31/2013

I'll bet they never served paella at Mildred's!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 21404/01/2013

[quote]God...if only John Waters had directed this...

Are you so sure he didn't?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 21504/01/2013

I love you Red Weirdos at r212 and also r213. This is so fun.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 21604/01/2013

You can when the camera zooms in on the Weirdo Machine that it specifically says GREEN Weirdo. So Joan can read what it says on the machine and the little girl can't?

They must have shot the whole thing in a single day, otherwise Joan never would have let them get by with the shot where she's walking into the store talking about the paella and gazpacho and the actress playing the mom stands in front of her while she's talking! Otherwise Joan would have caught it in the rushes.

Joan is the only woman in sight wearing gloves.

I love when she looks from side to side, an actress trying to organically "birth" the remembering of her grocery list.

I think Joan sounds the most looped in the VO about the syoo-permarket at the end: "annit pretty much does."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 21704/01/2013

Oh and I love Joan's look to the mom at 0:53 to facilitate the big head turn to segue into the walking shot over to the gumball machines!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 21804/01/2013

I bet Joan was supposed to say 'eat your jawbreaker' but tipsily messed up the line. No time for retakes on the BIG ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN set.

And why is she driving them to the store? Are we to believe that Joan is part of some neighborhood car pool?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 21904/01/2013

Times are tough; still I treat you to a lovely supermarket excursion, and I get smart-alek BACKTALK.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 22004/01/2013

"green like the grass, the trees... like Frankenstein's monster."

The hushed way that line is delivered by our Aunt Joan gets me every time. As Michael Musto said in his stargazing column, her delivery of that line sounds like it was lifted directly from one of her early movies.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 22104/01/2013

That's why I love her, R221. No matter what the material, she gives it her MGM all.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 22204/01/2013

Joan.. giving it her all.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 22304/01/2013

I never realized how swarthy she had gotten.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 22404/01/2013

It was customary for big stars to appear in these short industry films in the 1950s and 1960s because they were paid handsomely for just a day's work and, more importantly, had the reassurance they wouldn't be shown to the general public.

It was not unlike big stars today (Brad Pitt, et.al.) appearing in Japanese TV commercials that are never shown in America.

There are probably lots of these short films out there with Golden Age stars hawking various products, but only for the sponsors' viewership.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 22504/01/2013

OMG, a hat (!), gloves (!!) and earrings (!!!). Just a little overdressed for the local Piggly Wiggly, I think.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 22604/01/2013

[quote]It was not unlike big stars today (Brad Pitt, et.al.) appearing in Japanese TV commercials that are never shown in America.

Is that still happening? I figured in this day and age when you can see foreign commercials on YouTube or anywhere online, it didn't make a difference anymore.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 22704/01/2013

The short is so bizarre and disorienting. Almost as if it was made that way on purpose.

I just noticed that the entrance shown in the (unnecessary) P.O.V. shot as they are entering the supermarket does not in any way match the reverse shot of the entrance with Joan talking about Spanish dinner.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 22804/01/2013

The mother returns from shopping and asks Joan where Missy is, just as screams of horror are heard from the far end of the grocery store. The mother drops her bags and runs towards the screams to find Missy lying lifeless at the bottom of the lobster tank. Joan's gloved hand is shown unlatching her purse and discreetly depositing the green Weirdo.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 22904/01/2013

Is the child's name "Missy" or "Mitzi"?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 23004/01/2013

I found the scene where the child leaves her mother to lure Joan over to the Weirdos vending machine very distyrbing , almost psycho-sexual.

Mitzi : I want Joan.

Mother ...I Know what your after

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 23104/01/2013

I love Joan using two hands to tightly grasp and twist the knob of the Weirdos vending machine, just like she did when she attempted to strangle that slutty sass-mouthed daughter of hers.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 23204/01/2013

[quote]I just noticed that the entrance shown in the (unnecessary) P.O.V. shot as they are entering the supermarket does not in any way match the reverse shot of the entrance with Joan talking about Spanish dinner.

Thank you! I noticed that too.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 23304/01/2013

Why are you people making me watch this thing 100 times?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 23404/01/2013

I love how [bold]THE FOOD INDUSTRY[/bold] was presented as an actual entity on the order of the Pepsi-Cola Company.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 23504/01/2013

Why is Joan speaking in such an affected manner? The over-pronunciation of the words gazpacho, paella, tomatoes and sow-sage are hilarious. I thought she grew up poor white trash?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 23604/01/2013

She did grow up poor white trash r236, and that's exactly why she is being pretentious and trying to class it up. See the thread about J-lo's rider demands, the trashier you are the more you try and prove yourself.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 23704/01/2013

I wonder if there were any tender moments with her adopted kids? Reading them a storybook, etc. Or was it just nannies and photo ops?

Maybe she could never forgive them for not being perfect?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 23804/01/2013

^ I think she was better with the younger daughters, Cathy and Cindy, than she was with Christina and Christopher.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 23904/01/2013

R236 That affected theatrical speech was considered proper and classy back then...listen to Arlene Francis, Betty Furness, Kitty Carlisle, Joan Fontaine...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 24004/01/2013

Now i want a red weirdo.

Sounds like a sex trick, doesn't it?

I beat the Duchess of Windsor could throw a mean red weirdo!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 24104/01/2013

This is a clip of Joan's very first live appearance on network TV, in 1957, as the Mystery Guest on What's My Line?

Watch it through to the end. I won't give anything away but there's enough here to comment on to warrant a whole new thread.

I think it's a great contrast to Joan putting on airs at the supermarket 12 years later.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 24204/01/2013

[quote]That affected theatrical speech was considered proper and classy back then...listen to Arlene Francis, Betty Furness, Kitty Carlisle, Joan Fontaine...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 24304/01/2013

R217: why didn't Joan inform Missy/Mitzi of this beforehand? She proclaimed loudly she wanted a red weirdo in the parking lot.

The Weirdo plot line runs counter to the argument that the supermarket contains an abundance of items. As pointed out above, Joan is shopping for a recipe that needs 400 ingredients; Misszti "shops" for the opportunity of owning a red weirdo, but the store only has green weirdos. (Of course, we do not know where she got the blue weirdo.)

The weirdo plot line is to demonstrate that the supermarket will obtain complete control over our shopping. The supermarket gives and takes at whim.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 24404/01/2013

The Weirdo Machine was owned by Folz Vending, which was bought out a few years ago by Coinstar. Wonder if a "Bring Back Weirdos" petition is in order here.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 24504/01/2013

A red Weirdo recently sold at Sotheby's for $1.2 million.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 24604/01/2013

Is there a recent photo of Miss Mitzi?

I wonder if the actress playing the Mother is still living?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 24704/01/2013

This masterpiece reminds me of the transition from when my mom used to take me shopping "downtown". We'd go to the butcher shop, bakery, florist, etc.. Milk and eggs were delivered to our front door on certain days. We had a Ford wagon and sometimes mom did wear white gloves.

Then the Safeway and shopping center opened. And thus Big Agribiz was born. I remember stomping on the mat to make the automatic door open. My mom said the door had "an electric eye". But I had such better manners than that little Mitzi brat.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 24804/01/2013

Watching it for the umpteenth time and just noticed that the 'rubbery, plastic little monster thing that's in the vending machine' is spelled w-IE-rdo and not w-EI-rdo. Must have been a copyright thing. I looked it up all day online trying to find one. I really want a red weirdo!

I love the mother and the way she says 'No' to Missy Mitzi. And I still can't get over the fact that Joan drives a station wagon.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 24904/01/2013

Stop the car!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 25004/01/2013

Joan needed Porcelana, thus the gloves. You get a glimpse of her wrist when she's gliding her finger along the spices and it's not pretty.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 25104/01/2013

R221 THE FOOD INDUSTRY is god.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 25204/01/2013

"Come here, baby," I whisper-moan.

(dick hard as a rock and straight up from my groin)

"How'd you like to give me a red weirdo? I can go all night long if you do!"

(an amazing red weirdo commences)

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 25304/01/2013

But we never really saw Joan drive the wagon....just the three getting out of the wagon...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 25404/01/2013

R242 couldn't get your link to open...so I'll try

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 25504/01/2013

The "mother" would only be about 70-75 now. I guess "Mitzi" would be about 50-55.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 25604/01/2013

That was probably the first and only time Joan Crawford was in a Supermarket. I'm sure Lucille LaSueur shopped like a normal person, but not Joan!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 25704/01/2013

Miss Crawford in What's My Line? 1957

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 25804/01/2013

R255, I love how at the beginning she wrote her name too big on the chalkboard that she ran out of room for the O, R, and D. haha

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 25904/01/2013

Joan on WML with "The Twins", the two adopted children she didn't beat like a gong.

Note the twins have white gloves ....

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 26004/01/2013

Thank you r255 and r258!

I couldn't imagine why no one was responding to my fabulous clip.

Now, if you have the time, would either of you mind going over to the Debbie Reynolds thread and reposting a proper link for my WML? post over there?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 26104/01/2013

I LOVE the way Joan says the line: "Did she say Weirdoooooooo???"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 26204/01/2013

R260 All women wore gloves in those days. The other day my grandmother (shes 71) was telling me how every Friday, she would battle with a hundred other women at a shop in Journal Square to get their weeks supply of stockings and gloves.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 26304/01/2013

I think the "mother" is the same actress who played the next-door neighbor in Baby Jane.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 26404/01/2013

I will make some paella IF I can find some spanish sow-sage.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 26504/01/2013

[quote]Now, if you have the time, would either of you mind going over to the Debbie Reynolds thread and reposting a proper link for my WML? post over there?

Done. I love the old What's My Line? clips too. Watched that show when I was a kid. Some great memories generated by all those clips. I wish I could find the clip of my late friend actress Jill Haworth when she was on Password!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 26604/01/2013

I took three Red Weirdos at Lilith Fair in 1999, and I woke up a week later with a tattoo of Lisa Loeb's glasses on my ass.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 26704/01/2013

bump for brown weirdos

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 26804/02/2013

In the WML clip with the twins, Joey Bishop looked like had cocksucking lips....

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 26904/02/2013

[quote]...listen to Arlene Francis, Betty Furness, Kitty Carlisle, Joan Fontaine...

...Jane Wyatt...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 27004/02/2013

Nevah television!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 27104/02/2013

The heart of Joan...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 27204/02/2013

Miss Joan Crawford on another What's My Line? appearance.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 27304/02/2013

Joan's weirdo is different. It feels hard and she always hides it in her drawer.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 27404/02/2013

What does Joan's hard red weirdo look like, r274?

Or is it another color?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 27504/02/2013

It's black ... and ribbed.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 27604/02/2013

Lies and slander, R274. She kept it in the medicine cabinet.

[quote]Her rivalry with the sexually voracious Joan Crawford caused increasing tension at MGM. "I ended up loathing Joan," says Page. "For one thing she tried to hit on me several times. Let me tell you, when my mother saw the sex aids in various shapes and colours that Joan kept in her medicine cabinet, she refused my ever seeing Joan again - apart from on a film set."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 27704/02/2013

Working mum.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 27804/02/2013

What was Joan's pathetic tactic there in the 1957 WML clip denying she was a movie star?

Talk about passive aggressive.

I love when they mistook her for Mary PIckford!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 27904/03/2013

I love the subtle hint of nastiness that comes through in Joan's line reading of "Where do you THINK meat comes from?" I bet Christina knew that tone well, and knew enough to get out of Mommie's way when she used it, since it could mean an explosion was coming.

Although in Joan's defense, I do think Mitzi is pretty stupid. When I was her age, I certainly knew that milk came from cows. And I didn't grow up on a farm or anything - I thought that was sort of a basic fact that children learn when they're learning about animals.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 28004/03/2013

[quote]Although in Joan's defense, I do think Mitzi is pretty stupid. When I was her age, I certainly knew that milk came from cows. And I didn't grow up on a farm or anything - I thought that was sort of a basic fact that children learn when they're learning about animals.

This whole thing is very scripted. I think the point is to show supermarkets are the way of the future and that children today take it for granted that things just come from the supermarket.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 28104/03/2013

Again, is it Missy or Mitzi??

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 28204/03/2013

Missy is more period appropriate but I've just started calling her Missy Mitzi.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 28304/03/2013

Lucy is juicy

But terribly drab.

Jessie is dressy

But cold as a slab.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 28404/03/2013

Joan could probably eat the whole lobster, shell and all.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 28604/03/2013

One wonders if Missy/Mitzi is still around. Her brother posted the video in the first place.

She MUST be interviewed about this.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 28704/03/2013

R287 She's probably still in intensive therapy.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 28804/03/2013

I treated her to a beautiful Spanish dinner and all I got was smart-alek backtalk.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 28904/03/2013

r263, you mean these women bought brand new gloves and stockings every week?! Did they dispose of them and buy a week's worth EVER DAMN WEEK?!!!!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 29004/03/2013

Joan repurposed her gloves by having Christina wear them while scrubbing floors with Old Dutch Cleanser.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 29104/03/2013

Regarding the earlier WML clip in this thread:

I think it's ironic and hilarious that Joan is a celebrity spokesperson for the international adoption agency W.A.I.F.

I bet she hauled out Christina to attest to her WONDERFUL parenting skills as an adoptive mother.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 29204/03/2013

I'm guessing that Missy was 5 when this was filmed, so that would make her 49 today.

I'd say the actress playing the "mother" was 28, so she'd be 72 today.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 29304/03/2013

Do you think Missy ever found out where she came from?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 29404/03/2013

R294

Veda: You've never spoken of your people, where you came from, so perhaps it's natural.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 29504/03/2013

Sorry R293. Both Missy and the Mom were killed shortly after the filming, by Joan's own hands.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 29604/03/2013

Ironically by 1980 when supermarkets became a "hundred million dollar business" Joan had already gone to that "big cupboard in the sky".

God, I hope Heaven was freshly cleaned when she arrived and her wings weren't handed to her on a wire hangar.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 29704/03/2013

I wonder how much money it would take to produce a remake of "The Big Rock Candy Mountain" starring Faye Dunaway as Joan, Gwyneth Paltrow as the self absorbed child neglecting mother, and a bright new child star as 'Missy/Mitzi"?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 29804/03/2013

And Misty, stay OUT of my medicine cabinet!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 29904/03/2013

Gentlemen, I really think we are all taking this little 4 minute thing far too seriously. You can't be here and also on the DataLounge Mystery Theatre thread at the same time. This is done, girls, now go over there and be creative.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 30004/04/2013

"Gentlemen, I really think we are all taking this little 4 minute thing far too seriously."

Sorry, r300, but I think all the levels, layers, and insights into the human condition of THE BIG ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN have gone over your head. I would suggest another twelve or thirteen viewings, and then maybe you'll start to get it.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 30104/04/2013

I still need help understanding what the title has to do with the content of the film.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 30204/04/2013

Because r302, as stated earlier in the thread, Big Rock Candy Mountain is a mythical place that songs are written about (or a song) where you can get whatever you desire, a whiskey river and candy cigarettes, etc. A supermarket is like a BRCM, you can get whatever you want there, paella fixin's, sausage, a mouthy kid to squire around, and weirdos, weirdos for everyone!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 30304/04/2013

I just want to say that I've become literally obsessed with Joan after watching the supermarket video, and then watching others, and then reading anything I could about her.

She was such a character, and so beautiful when she was young. Here's a funny story that I haven't seen posted on any threads about her: [quote] One afternoon, Russian actor Ivan Lebedeff paid a call on Miss Crawford and was invited into her stage dressing room. In ten minutes Ivan came pelting out, white of face. As I happened to be close by and knew him, he rushed over to me. In shock, he blurted out, 'Poor Joan! She's just told me that after her tragic life with men, she can no longer find sexual satisfaction unless she is tied to a bedpost and whipped!' He staggered away, hands against his ashen face. I could only chuckle. I had read the same chapter in Psychopathia Sexualis, too! Joan's imagination was on the dramatic side...and she obviously was an inspired conversationalist.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 30404/04/2013

[quote]I wonder how much money it would take to produce a remake of "The Big Rock Candy Mountain" starring Faye Dunaway as Joan, Gwyneth Paltrow as the self absorbed child neglecting mother, and a bright new child star as 'Missy/Mitzi"?

Gwyneth: "Make sure to buy the paleo sausage, Joan. It's the only kind me and my niggas eat."

Missy: "Wad's pay-oh sau-sad?"

Joan: "WHY CAN'T YOU ASK ME ABOUT POSITIVE THINGS. LIKE THAT MOVIE I DID WITH BRANDO, IN WHICH I WAS EXCELLENT."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 30504/04/2013

"You think everything comes from the sewerpermarket?"

Her pronunciation is quite the Freudian slip. She perhaps deemed the supermarket as unfit to accommodate her movie star persona, regarding it as synonymous with the stench and sweat of life and the everyman... and yet... if you knew Joan Crawford's actual birth name, they were really one and the same.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 30604/04/2013

[quote]"You think everything comes from the sewerpermarket?"

It's not a Freudian slip at all. "supermarket" would've been pronounced "syooparmaket" in the way that Joan did pronounce it by all whom were classy enough to put on an affected, Transatlantic accent like Joan is doing here.

Note how she also pronounces "sausage" as "sawwwsahge".

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 30704/04/2013

I can only imagine the poor cook who actually had to prepare the Spanish meal.

Cook: Why aren't you eating, Miss Crawford?

Joan: (on her eighth vodka-rocks) you forgot to buy the goddamn almonds for the paella!

Cook: But, Miss Crawford, YOU did the shopping.

Joan: (throwing the food in the cook's face) Cleeeeeaaaannnn it uuup, you lyyyying, stuuuuupid Mexican whooooooooore !

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 30804/04/2013

R308, it was probably her German maid who she called Mamacita. She talks about her in that book she wrote in the 60s (can't recall the name, even though I have it).

I love this film and sorry, R300 but I'd rather talk about Joan at the supermarket than the DL mystery novel.

I keep giggling about R15's post because I can visual it so clearly.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 30904/04/2013

T1:30 the little girl says "I HATE FISH!" Mitzie is Mrs. Patrick Campbell!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 31004/04/2013

And, of course, R305, Faye-as-Joan would have to stop by the seafood counter and bellow:

WHAT IS THE FISH OF THE DAY? [BOLD]WHAT[/BOLD] IS THE FISH OF THE DAY?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 31104/04/2013

[quote]I love how we are all dissecting this little innocuous film with questions and theories as if it is the Rosetta Stone-like time capsule that holds the answers and solutions to all things gay and camp.

I think R193 post is the funniest one here. I laugh everytime I read it.. and yes I've watched this several times. Somehow I missed the Pepsi placement while Joan is telling Mitzi/Missy that she needs to get lots of things... lobster, onion, peppers, to MAH toes.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 31204/04/2013

In the supermarket, Joan's diction is clipped and precise. By the time she got around to doing the sloppy voice-over, she was at the bottom of the Smirnoff bottle...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 31304/04/2013

Little Missy tells Joan ....."your lady parts smell just like that lobster, Joan"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 31404/04/2013

R290 Sorry for the delay getting back. I know it sounds crazy and I asked her the same thing. With the stockings, if you got more than two days out of them without a run you were lucky. And as soon as they got a run, they were garbage. As for the gloves. She described them as being a light weight cotton knit and by the end of the week they would look kind of ratty.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 31504/04/2013

So I was checking the menu offerings at our commissary today, and.....

[quote] Spanish Style Sausage & Chorizo Pizza

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 31604/05/2013

I want to know what happened to the actress who played the mother? I love the way she says, "NO!" like she's scolding a puppy who just peed on the carpet. Even Joan seems taken aback by her bitchiness.

When Joan is at the checkout, you can see that she purchased bags of Fritos and Cheetos. Do you think Joan enjoyed a nice bag of Cheetos every now and then? Wouldn't they leave orange stains on her white gloves?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 31704/05/2013

[quote] When Joan is at the checkout, you can see that she purchased bags of Fritos and Cheetos. Do you think Joan enjoyed a nice bag of Cheetos every now and then? Wouldn't they leave orange stains on her white gloves?

Frito-Lay was owned by Pepsico. Unless they mixed with Smirnoff, I doubt Joan indulged, but I'm sure she kept a few dozen bags on hand to serve to guests, and to use when making her delicious Frito Pie.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 31804/05/2013

R317, if the mother didn't, you'd say she was an indulgent parent, right?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 31904/05/2013

That film is like crack.

I had a bad day and have watched it several times to lose myself in it.

I wish Joan's pondersome voice-over were longer and actually represented her stream-of-consciousness.

What was she really thinking while standing in the check-out lane?

Was she thinking that BRCM would revive her career?

Was she imagining the cocktails that awaited her at home?

Was she trying to convince herself about how well she did replacing her daughter Christina on "Search for Tomorrow"?

The possibilities are endless.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 32004/05/2013

"I wonder which weirdo I will select out of my medicine cabinet tonight ..."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 32204/05/2013

For me, the clip is not *at all* about Joan, but about the time capsule.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 32304/05/2013

But, 323, if it had been Karen Black in the supermarket would we be discussing it to such an extent?

I think not.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 32404/05/2013

Did you notice the Monkees vending machine next to the Weirdo machine? I wonder what little trinket you got from the Monkees machine?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 32504/05/2013

Is Karen Black allowed in supermarkets?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 32604/05/2013

Actually, Karen Black at a supermarket would be quite entertaining.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 32704/05/2013

A Davie Jones keychain, R325 . And, if you were lucky, a letter promising you a date to the prom.

That last one was my idea.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 32804/05/2013

Remember how much fun going to the supermarket was when you were little? It was a magical and delightful place. Just the cereal aisle alone would send me into a state of rapture.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 32904/05/2013

I always find it so sad looking at 30's era Joan and then this. It's hard to reconcile the stunning beauty of the 30's with the hard, brittle features of the 60's.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 33004/05/2013

*I* would have been, R324, maybe not you.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 33104/05/2013

I remember that supermarkets of that era often had products without a safety seal.

Many were the times that I would open a tub of "Parkay", stick my finger into it, lick it up, and then replace the cover.

Ah, the good old days.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 33204/05/2013

At the checkout it says "One Way Bottles" on the Pepsi packaging. What does that mean?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 33304/05/2013

No deposit, no return!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 33404/05/2013

I believe that "one-way bottles" meant that one did not have to pay a bottle deposit with the expectation of having to return them for recyling purposes.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 33504/05/2013

R335 Sort of. But not "recycling" as we think of it now. Beer and soft drinks came in returnable bottles that were cleaned and refilled.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 33604/05/2013

[quote]I believe that "one-way bottles" meant that one did not have to pay a bottle deposit with the expectation of having to return them for recyling purposes.

[quote]Sort of. But not "recycling" as we think of it now. Beer and soft drinks came in returnable bottles that were cleaned and refilled.

I'm sure Joan would have preferred the latter. "I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the backwash!"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 33704/05/2013

Speaking of a time capsule, a commercial from 1970. Burger Chef

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 33804/05/2013

I love you R320

"green like the grass...... like the trees...

like Frankenstein's monster!"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 33904/05/2013

At the 1:37 mark is a Burger Chef commercial from 1977. It features an older lady who became famous for the Purina Cat Chow take-off on the cha-cha with the dancing cat.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 34004/05/2013

Remember when supermarkets gave out Green Stamps? They also had dishware that you got if you spent a certain amount of money. I can't remember if you had to pay a small fee for the dishes, or if they were free with purchase?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 34104/05/2013

Mildred Pierce is on TCM right now. There is probably an old thread but I figured people in here are real Joan fanatics.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 34204/05/2013

She's over-rated in that movie, R342 . So common.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 34304/05/2013

[quote]I always find it so sad looking at 30's era Joan and then this. It's hard to reconcile the stunning beauty of the 30's with the hard, brittle features of the 60's.

I think we have just become accustomed to actresses staying unnaturally youthful into their fifties and sixties today. And of course there is a stark contrast between Joan in the 30's and Joan in the 60's, but that's aging for you. All in all, I don't think she aged that terribly.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 34404/05/2013

Wasn't Ann Blyth the only female who got along with Joan?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 34504/05/2013

No r345

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 34604/05/2013

I remember DUZ detergent had towels in the box (they probably displaced enough detergent that was worth more than the crappy towels.) And I remember buying some kind of dry dog food that included a free piece of plastic (human) dinnerware.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 34704/05/2013

One last story:

[quote]In Shaun Considine's 1989 book Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud, Fonda is quoted from his bio My Life as having received another gift from Joan: a sequined jockstrap---which she subsequently invited him to model. Said Fonda: "I was carrying her up the stairs for a scene we were filming. When she whispered the invitation, I nearly dropped her." No word on whether he accepted.

Joan was a hoot.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 34804/05/2013

Looking at it again, I noticed some things:

1. The mother is quite bitchy.

2. Notice the expression on Joan's face when little Special Ed Missy says she wants to go with Joan.

3. "Where do you think meat comes from, you dumb little bitch."

"From the supermarket you old cow."

"My God!" *SLAP* "Do you go to an institution of learning or a teenage brothel."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 34904/05/2013

Misty pulled Joan so hard she could have caused her to fall over be hurt.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 35004/05/2013

But at some point Joan had to be strong enough to pick the little girl up and sit her in the basket.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 35104/05/2013

I love how so many of us are viewing the film as pure cinema verite.

Joan didn't pick up Missy; one of the crew put Missy in the carriage. Joan and Missy also must have had at least some pre-scripted dialogue to work with.

Yet, on the other hand, I do believe that Missy worked Joan's last nerve and ended up strangled under a blanket in the backseat of the station wagon.

So, I guess it's a wash.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 35204/05/2013

"Green, like the grass...which is what I was smoking when I agreed to do this."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 35304/05/2013

R333, the one-way bottles of which you speak, well....how can I explain this. They are very similar to butt plugs of the 80s.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 35404/05/2013

R322, yes you are correct--no food safety seals back then until the Tylenol scare of the 80s.

When we were kids (and college students) we'd go down the jelly and jam aisle, opening up and sampling each product with a dirty index finger.

Blueberry, nah. Strawberry, nah. Peach, nah. Boisenberry, yeahhhhh!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 35504/05/2013

r355, I can't believe you missed a perfect opportunity for a "Rhubarb? Oh, no! Not rhubarb" joke.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 35604/06/2013

Question about the opening music, in which the instruments don't seem to be in tune with each other, giving it an eerily discordant quality:

Is that because of deterioration of the soundtrack on the film over the years, or was it meant to be that way?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 35704/06/2013

lol at r356. Someone has watched this a few times..

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 35804/06/2013

R340 Also featuring noted vegetarian James Cromwell ("Babe").

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 35904/06/2013

To R217 and R244:

I also thought the machine said "CRAZY GREEN WIERDO" but now that I'm watching it on the iPad screen, I see that it says "CRAZY CREEPY WIERDO"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 36004/06/2013

When she asks, "Where do you think milk comes from?" I get reeeeeeally nervous because she seems like things are possibly going to deteriorate quickly.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 36104/06/2013

Here's the remainder of the "shopping spree" promotion spot that follows Big Rock Candy Mountain.

I'm not quite old enough to remember the cork-lined bottle caps.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 36204/06/2013

When Missy/Mitzi answers Joans' question about where meat comes from with "from the supermarket" and then repeats the same line for the following question, to me it sounds and looks IDENTICAL each time, , like they have to loop it in editing.

I wonder how many times the little dullard flubbed her lines and finally Joan said "fuck it...just dub in the one good reading she had in her...I'll carry the rest of the scene myself...just like I always did with Bette."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 36304/06/2013

I wonder if Joan drove the station wagon herself, we never see her behind the wheel, just exiting the drivers' side.

Although judging by the complete absence of any other cars remotely near where she parked, perhaps she did drive and the directors weren't taking any chances that Joan had a few vodka rocks on the way over, by testing her depth perception by sliding into a spot with expensive cars on either side.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 36404/06/2013

Joan didn't even put her meat in the little plastic bags..too bad because it would have been fun to see the gloved drunkard trying to open those fucking things. There will be hell to pay when the blood leaks everywhere. I can't believe I watched this again though I did wait until everyone was asleep so they can't see me critiquing a grocery store ad.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 36504/06/2013

Someone should post celebrities in grocery stores on a different thread. We could have Joan, Mary Tyler Moore, Katharine Ross/Tina Louise...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 36604/06/2013

Don't forget Heath Ledger !

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 36704/06/2013

I wish I had the tech-savvy to superimpose Bette Davis over Joan, with the same dialogue but with Bettes' voice and mannerisms....LMAO!

"Ga-reen ! Like the ga-rass, like the tris, like Frahnk'n'stines mahnstah ..."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 36804/06/2013

I want a version with Ann Miller!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 36904/06/2013

The cashier at the end looks like Ugly Betty, plus they placed the most haggard looking old frump of a crone to stay behind Joan in line at the check-out. Joan looks youthful and radiant by comparison.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 37004/06/2013

[quote]Joan didn't pick up Missy; one of the crew put Missy in the carriage. Joan and Missy also must have had at least some pre-scripted dialogue to work with.

I'm pretty sure it was entirely scripted.

No one here thinks this was a documentary, dear.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 37104/06/2013

I agree about the music R357. To me, it's the electric guitar that sounds harsh. And why don't they use the actual song, "Big Rock Candy Mountain?"

Notice Joan's switch of the pocketbook from one arm to the other to make Missy's hand pull work in the subsequent shot.

Joan writes about her hat collection in MY WAY OF LIFE, describing wearing a hat as a great alternative to a few hours spent in the hairdresser's chair, and briefly bemoaning that a lot of younger women don't really wear them. Though certainly she understood better than anyone that film was forever...believe it or not, I think her outfit is supposed to make her look everyday. If you know Joan's costumes (that's what she called them) for public appearances from this era, she's actually dressed DOWN.

And while we're at it, was it the style to wear a dress with no waist/no belt, as Joan does in the film? I love the subtle coordination of colors and patterns: the hat, earrings, and gloves are all solids; the dress is small polka dots and the bag is striped. Also, Joan's dress is hemmed below the knee and the mom's is above.

There's a weird shot for a moment though when Joan's pushing the cart and her matronly (though still firmly upright) bosom is dangerously close to Missy's head.

Is Missy looking at the camera for a brief second when she's in the cart and the shot changes at 1:53?

Interesting that is spite of her star billing, they present Joan as an everyday woman who has to go to the supermarket and stand in what appears to be a long line like everyone else--that no one in the supermarket is like, "See that girl over there? She used to be Joan Crawford." (Someone actually said that in earshot of Joan later in her life.)

She really is an actress of incomparable technique. She picks up, considers, and puts down 4 packages of meat--and there's a brief moment of intensity in her search, from the initial grab to finally settling on her quarry which is the hidden package underneath. Then notice how she effortlessly and naturally tosses the package of Spanish sausage so that when it lands in the cart, the sound "buttons" her line about cows and pigs. Any number of less skilled actresses would have picked up and considered fewer packages, and then thrown the package in the cart as they were saying the line and not cared about the sound.

Missy definitely says "the supermarket" in two different readings--she blinks during the first one.

Joan does sound a little exasperated/over it, beyond just acting her role, with "Let's carry on," especially when compared to the dulcet tones of the VO that immediately follows.

Also, I wonder: if any DL-ers had been in the market at the time, would they have hated on Joan? After all, she is an older lady standing in the supermarket line daydreaming and giving us nice profile shots instead of opening her purse and getting her money ready as the cashier is ringing her up.

And the young girl cashier we see in her own shot from the front at 3:22 is not the heavyset short haired lady who we see from the back ringing Joan up at 2:42 and whipping the bag open.

I wish someone could find an excellent print of this film, or restore it. I'd love to see the detail of the mom and Joan's reflections in the supermarket door at the beginning.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 37204/06/2013

Maybe we can create a new thread about other commercials so we can keep this one weirdo pure.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 37304/06/2013

What was Joan's subtext/backstory for "...IF I can find all the ingredients"? Was this supermarket newly opened, so Joan was unfamiliar with their inventory? Or was this Joan's first time making GAZ-pacho and paella, thus it was her first time shopping for these specific ingredients? Or maybe Joan had just been forced to make cutbacks in her household staff ("I've had to let Helga go..."), and with the cook or maid who used to do the food shopping gone, Joan was plunging into the world of the supermarket for the first time? That might explain the breathless wonder of her voiceover thoughts on the checkout line.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 37404/06/2013

[quote]And why don't they use the actual song, "Big Rock Candy Mountain?"

Because it's a folk song and only smelly, unwashed hippies and lazy, dope-taking beatniks sing folk songs!! Miss Crawford is a STAR of the FIRST MAGNITUDE! Do you think she ought to be associated with smelly, unwashed hippies and lazy, dope-taking beatniks? Do you? DO YOU??!!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 37504/06/2013

I HATE FISH

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 37604/06/2013

OMG, r372, you've taken a childlike interest in this thing into something deeply pathological.

Will you marry me?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 37704/06/2013

Someone should make a film about Mrs. oh-PAL Miller, the winner of the 1964 Pepsi shopping spree. How did their lives change after winning over $6,000 worth of groceries? Where did they put all that meat? How did the neighbors treat them after their rocket to fame on all the magazines and wire services?

I'm thinking Mare Winningham as oh-PAL, and Emilio Estevez as Mr. Miller.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 37804/06/2013

Or Honey Boo Boo, R298.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 37904/06/2013

Do we know if the supermarket this was filmed in is still standing? Where was it located? If it's still there, I think we should plan an annual pilgrimage to pay homage to Joan and Missy. I'll dress up as Joan, complete with hat and gloves, and one of you can dress up as Missy and ride in the cart. We can re-enact the entire video. It would be tragic, though, if there were no Weirdo machine.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 38004/06/2013

I think those guys (Punchy Players) who do the Judy, Liza, Ann Miller parodies should do one about this film

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 38104/06/2013

"And while we're at it, was it the style to wear a dress with no waist/no belt, as Joan does in the film?"

Oh yes, it was the height of fashion in the mid-sixties. Or rather, mini dresses with an undefined waist were the height of fashion, not that a mature woman would wear a miniskirt to the supermarket. At least not when she was making a film for square businessmen.

Crawford might have still had the legs to wear minis, be grateful she was too classy to go for it.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 38204/06/2013

I found a site that lists all the old Grand Union Supermarkets, I assumed that this film was a Hollywood productiion, but most Grand Union locations are un the Northeast.

Since Joan lived un NYC, and most films are produced out of NYC on the east coast, must be uin gthe greater trei-Statearea.....any local DLers recognize the location?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 38304/07/2013

Wow, R383, that's some detective work. You're well on your way to making R380's pilgrimage fantasy come true!!!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 38404/07/2013

Em pretty sure if this supermarket still exists it has been totally remodeled beyond recognition. Also, my experience has been Grand Union, being one of the oldest chains, were built in neighborhoods that now pretty much decayed into suburban blight.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 38504/07/2013

I can't find a picture of the "weirdos". But they were mad by a company called "Folz".

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 38604/07/2013

It seems this video was a hit elsewhere too. The forum is weird though. The original post is at the bottom of the page and you have to scroll up, going from page 7 to page 1.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 38704/07/2013

Thanks for that, r387. I truly appreciate DL after reading some of those dry and unfunny comments there!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 38804/07/2013

Joans' final film has generated quite a few forums discussions , but R388, none of the others have quite the panache of DL, or the indepth cinematographic interpretions of DL.

This one from Stargayzing.com has some nice stills though...note how Joan has left the window down in the stationwagon, no fear of it being stolen back in 1969.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 38904/07/2013

Actually, the comments on R387 aren't at all funny. The ones here on DL are funnier, R388.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 39004/07/2013

That's exactly what R388 said, R390.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 39104/07/2013

R389's comment didn't appear until after I saved mine, R391. Note the time stamp.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 39204/07/2013

Another piece of evidence that this film was been made in the NY area is the trace of a NY accent little Missy displays when she says "supahmawrkit."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 39304/07/2013

Going by the license plate alone, I'm going to guess NJ. NY plates in 1969 were dark blue background with gold letters/numbers . NJ was buff background with black letters/numbers.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 39404/07/2013

Can anyone make out what state the license plate on the car is from?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 39504/07/2013

Joan Crawford in BIG ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN, the 'Holy Grail' of cinéma vérité.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 39604/07/2013

I asked the meat dept butcher today if he had any spanish sow-sage. I told him it was 'meat in a casing, like hot dogs, only spanish.'

He looked at me like I was crazy.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 39704/07/2013

"Oh yes, it was the height of fashion in the mid-sixties."

R382, the dress was called a shift, and I wore them as a 15 year old. I remember some DL ignoramous fashion expert calling it a "sack." Like they would be able to sell a dress style with a name like that. LOL.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 39804/07/2013

Oh, yeah, and they didn't have to be minis, and could be worn by all ages.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 39904/07/2013

R398, "Sack dresses" were introduced by Balenciaga in the 1950s. Although they were a fashion Edsel, both the look and the term were well-known.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 40004/07/2013

That is the most horrible film I've ever seen. The annoying "music," the way the photographer shoots into the sun, but you will note Miss Crawford was shot well, so I guess they just tacked on some stock footage for the parking lot scenes. I remember the car and the model, a 1969 Ford LTD wagon. They were everywhere back then. There was a Grand Union in my town. This could be anywhere. The plates DO look like NJ. Car could be a rental though. There was a Grand Union in Greenwich, CT. Might've been up there.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 40104/07/2013

In the 1960s - and that's what we're talking about - it was the shift, r400. Perhaps the "sack" laid an egg because of the ridiculous name? And, no, it was not well-known in the 1960s.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 40204/07/2013

R401, there were Grand Unions all over the place. One on Central Avenue next to Korvettes in Yonkers too.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 40304/07/2013

Joan is werqing a beltless look because she is serving up some girdle-defying waistline bulge realness.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 40404/07/2013

I can't remember where the Grand Union was in my town. There was an A&P close by so we went there. They're long gone too. Hills Supermarket was another one. Long gone. I got my first job there. But yeah, there were hundreds of them everywhere. Now everything is Wal-Mart-sized Stop n Shops.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 40504/07/2013

There should have been a whole series of these short films with Joan.

"Joan goes to the dentist with my brother"- Big Rock Candy Tooth Decay (brought to you by the ADA)

"Joan goes to the dry cleaners with my aunt" ("Wire hangers! Like the world gone mad! Like the welts on Christina's legs! Like an unforgivable monstrosity!)

"Joan goes to the powder room with my mother" ("I'll teach you how to flush a toilet like a lady. And don't overtip the attendant; she must know her place.")

Pepsi drinkers would have had to send in three proof-of-purchases from cases of Pepsi and a perfectly hand-written essay, "Why I want to spent a day with Joan Crawford".

Pepsi could have out-sold Coca-Cola.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 40604/07/2013

LOL with R398, although to be honest, shift doesn't sound much better.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 40704/07/2013

[quote]I'll teach you how to flush a toilet like a lady.

Thank you R406. Just before I made myself this here Bacardi and coke, I was thinking I should Windex my screen. You made a necessity.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 40804/07/2013

Keep talking, boys. It's almost as good as the real heaven!

Yep, I made it to heaven. Turns out that even God hates wire hangers.

Well, carry on. I'm having cocktails with Jesus and trying to get a gig as a saint.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 40904/07/2013

It's GREEN!!!!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 41004/07/2013

[quote]I'll teach you how to flush a toilet like a lady.

First of all a true lady would NEVER deign to do anything in a public toilet requiring flushing, that bould alert attention to her unladylike bowel movemnets.

Instead a true Lady always carries a supp0lyt of small plastic satchels in her purse to deposit the contents of her above mentioned indiscretion, thus eliminating any mortifiy splashes or , and will help muffle any , God forbid, unladylike sounds .

This tightly sealed satchel ( I recommend keeping some small lengths of ribbons in your purse as well ) may then be discretely deposited into the waste receptacle, or if the Ladysroom Attendant is particularly intrusive and displeasing, you may nonchalantly deposit the satchel into her tip jar as you exit.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 41104/07/2013

A lady never poops.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 41204/07/2013

[quote]"Joan goes to the powder room with my mother" ("I'll teach you how to flush a toilet like a lady".

That's not why Joan goes to the powder room with your mother, dear innocent Mitzy.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 41304/07/2013

Sorry for the typos fellas, after a few vodka rocks my sixth grade education starts to show .

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 41404/07/2013

She's so drunk in the voice-over at the end, I'm never sure if she's going to spit the next word out.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 41504/07/2013

I know, R415. It cracks me up every time I watch it. "When I wazzz a little gurrrl, we usta say Goddd..."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 41604/07/2013

This made me laugh out loud:

Also, I wonder: if any DL-ers had been in the market at the time, would they have hated on Joan? After all, she is an older lady standing in the supermarket line daydreaming and giving us nice profile shots instead of opening her purse and getting her money ready as the cashier is ringing her up.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 41704/07/2013

Yes, I love the distinct difference between her phony accent in the [italic]syoopahmahket[/italic] and in the voice-over. She just know she had some Smirnoff to take the edge off her hangover.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 41804/07/2013

[quote]instead of opening her purse and getting her money ready as the cashier is ringing her up.

OMG I HATE THAT!!! And I'm sorry, I know its wrong, but it always seems like its women who do that. They sort of stare off into space and then when the cashier says the total, they snap back to it and seem surprised that they actually have to pay. And then they take forever fishing around their bag and giving the exact change, or worse, they break out the check book. A fucking check book! Who the hell even uses those anymore!?!?! As soon as the cashier starts scanning my stuff, I am at the terminal swiping my card and all set up to make a speedy exit.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 41904/07/2013

I hate that as well r419. I really do.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 42004/07/2013

I'm glad the check book thing doesn't happen anymore. Or does it?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 42104/07/2013

I love her Mountain Dew commercial. Joan makes it classy with a straw.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 42204/07/2013

Actually r421, I haven't seen anyone pull out a check book in a long time. The chain purse thing and looking for money is unfortunately a common thing.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 42304/07/2013

Thanks for that, R422. A Mountain Dew commercial and as a bonus, a public service announcement on the side bar with Joan talking about pap tests!!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 42404/07/2013

Was Joanie the GOOP of her day?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 42504/07/2013

[quote]Was Joanie the GOOP of her day?

YES!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 42604/07/2013

R421 I actually saw someone do it a few months ago, although it wasn't at a supermarket. They were kind of older, so I guess there are a few out there that are still hanging on to it.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 42704/07/2013

I remember when everyone wrote a check and then the cashier had to check your drivers license and she would write your license number on the check.

Watching this video, I had forgotten that before bar codes, cashiers had to manually enter the price of everything into the cash register. What a pain in the ass that must have been for the cashier.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 42804/07/2013

Wow R422, when did she do this? Was Mountain Dew a Pepsi product. Ugly feet. I gagged a little when she flexed her toes.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 42904/07/2013

Yes R429. A Pepsi product.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 43004/07/2013

The way the mother says 'no' to Missy shows why she and Joan got along so well.

And Joan's journey from the skepticism of 'If I can find the ingredients' to the awestruck slurring of her final narration is just as great as the one she took in THE DAMNED DON'T CRY.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 43104/08/2013

R429, it says right there the commercial is from 1969, the same year this "Big Rock Candy Moutain" video was released.

And, yes, Mountain Dew is produced and owned by PepsiCo.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 43204/08/2013

So basically the message of that Mountain Dew commercial is Mountain Dew makes you feel like a hillbilly.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 43304/08/2013

Dance,Fools,Dance!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 43404/08/2013

Always loved the taste of Mountain Dew, especially with vodka. Seriously ;) But it is loaded with caffeine. haven't had one in years.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 43504/08/2013

In the replies under R422's video someone states that Christina publicly stated that much of her book was exaggerated, including the wire hangars-did I miss this?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 43604/08/2013

Ike Godsey feets alert @ R422!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 43704/08/2013

[quote]In the replies under [R422]'s video someone states that Christina publicly stated that much of her book was exaggerated, including the wire hangars-did I miss this?

No, Google it.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 43804/08/2013

[quote]So basically the message of that Mountain Dew commercial is Mountain Dew makes you feel like a hillbilly.

To be specific, it makes you feel like a hillbilly on crystal meth.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 43904/08/2013

[quote]it makes you feel like a hillbilly on crystal meth.

Is there any other kind of hillbilly?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 44004/08/2013

Can anyone make out what Missy/Mitzi says in the very first spoken line: "I wanna **** and a wierdo!"?

I love the tired, world-weariness Joan brings to: "Yes, Spanish dinnah. Gaspacho and paella...IF I can find all the ingredients."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 44104/08/2013

[quote] Can anyone make out what Missy/Mitzi says in the very first spoken line: "I wanna **** and a wierdo!"?

She says, "I want a jawbreaker, and a Weirdo."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 44204/08/2013

That's actually the second line, R441. The mother says something that sounds like "you stay near me" to Missy as they get out of the car. Missy wants a jawbreaker and a weirdo. It would be another ten years before small children would learn the peril of asking for a jawbreaker in the presence of Ms. Crawford.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 44304/08/2013

Thanks, r442 & 443 (good call).

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 44404/08/2013

LOL R440

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 44504/08/2013

Who are these two supposed to be? Joan's neighbors? Poor relations? Imagine the Joan Crawford Carpool on a bad day.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 44604/08/2013

Were Weirdos a real thing? I know Jawbreakers were and still are.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 44704/08/2013

Joan should have adlibbed this:

MISSY: It's green! I want a red one! JOAN: A red weirdo. Reminds me of Louis B Mayer when I asked him to walk me to my car.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 44804/08/2013

R447, R386 identified them as being made by a company called Folz, so yes, it seems they are.

Of course the weirdos Joan kept in her medicine cabinet were of an entirely different variety.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 44904/08/2013

[quote]Of course the weirdos Joan kept in her medicine cabinet were of an entirely different variety.

What were they? A "love-making toy"?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 45004/08/2013

The video at R343 is good but I recommend searching for one called "Joan Crawford Flashdance" which is a montage of all her dancing set to the Flashdance theme.

If you want to laugh however, check out this Joan vs. Bette video by way of Marlene and Tallulah:

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 45104/08/2013

[quote]What were they? A "love-making toy"?

Of a sort. Not to be seen by the Mitzis of this world but somehow Anita Page's mother stumbled upon them.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 45204/08/2013

Not to get too far down in the weeds, but I don't think Folz had anything to do with Weirdos other than stocking them in their vending machines. They appear to be a vending machine operator, not a manufacturer.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 45304/08/2013

Been searching for weirdos online ( nothing new right, fellas?)

No context just a pic of some guys rubber toy collection ( once again LOL) But is that black thing in the middle a Wierdo?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 45404/08/2013

Who ever heard of a black Wierdo?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 45504/08/2013

Lol at r455.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 45604/08/2013

Great video R451...If anyone ever asks what "camp" is, show 'em this.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 45704/08/2013

I vaguely remember some toy like a weirdo from the late '60s except I don't think they were called "weirdos," they were called something else.

They were fat, buddha-shaped, troll-like dealies made out of a clammy feeling soft plastic, like the plastic that fake fishing worms are made of.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 45804/08/2013

R451, I searched for Joan Crawford Flashdance and it's fabulous!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 45904/08/2013

Folz vending was actually in business until 2007, when one of the founding brothers sold it to Coinstar.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 46004/08/2013

I cant believe this thread has been up for two weeks and no one has taken it upon themselves to contact the person who posted it and said its their sister! Well I took the bull by the horns and did it myself. Who knows if I will get an answer, but if I do, you can be sure DL will be the first to know.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 46104/08/2013

What do you suppose it was about Miss Crawford that has dissecting a gum machine in an industrial video she did for Pepsi 45 years ago?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 46204/08/2013

I was wondering if anyone did r461 and am happy to hear that it has happened. I'm excited and nervous for you! What will you wear? Do you think she will write soon? Maybe she will come here. I am looking forward to her response to you.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 46304/08/2013

R462 Speaking for myself, it's I have no life.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 46404/08/2013

Anything here?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 46504/08/2013

I dont know R463. Im excited and nervous and scared and confused all at once! To think that I may actually get a message from someone who knows someone who was in a shopping cart Joan Crawford pushed around! The emotions are just too overwhelming. I need a sedative!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 46604/08/2013

R461, I just sent the youtube uploader a message as well. Never thought to do it before , frankly I did not know youtube had that option.... sent it about 20 minutes ago, almost the same moment as you !

I even sent him ( or her ) a link to this thread and how great this video is and how much it's being discussed !

Only just now saw your post , and I am just as exciting and scared as you .... hold me ?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 46704/08/2013

Lol at r466. You are so cute. I would be the same way. This can open up a whole new thread at the very least. I bet the girl was pretty flattered that you wrote her and will love to talk about it. I would.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 46804/08/2013

[quote]I even sent him ( or her ) a link to this thread

NOOOOOO!!!!!! Some assholes here have said some mean things about her. She has been called a slut, a bitch, a cunt. We will never hear back from them. In fact, they may pull the video all together! Thanks R467. This is why we cant have nice things. We are doomed. DOOOOOOOMED!!!!!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 46904/08/2013

[quote]Some assholes here have said some mean things about her. She has been called a slut, a bitch, a cunt.

Don't worry, I think all those posts were signed "Joan". I don't think anyone would hold us responsible for what that old drunk writes.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 47004/08/2013

I agree r470. We will still be able to have nice things r469, you would have to be a pretty dedicated Joan hag to slog through this whole thread, admittedly I am, but I never had to go shopping with her..

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 47104/08/2013

From your lips to gods ears R470. I dont think I could live with myself if DL is responsible for this cinematic gem disappearing. Its bad enough the final reel of Sadie Thompson is lost. Losing The Big Rock Candy Mountain would be criminal.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 47204/08/2013

You can download YouTube videos to your PC you know !

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 47304/08/2013

I think I'm going to search for a recipe for paella and gazpacho and have a video-fest of Joan's worst movies !

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 47404/08/2013

I wish Weirdos had been one of Oprah's "Favorite Things."

"YOU get a Weirdo, and YOU get a Weirdo, and YOU get a Weirdo!"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 47504/08/2013

LOL at R475

Its official. We have descended into madness. Sheer, unadulterated, Grade-A Madness.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 47604/08/2013

How many products can you identify (Besides Pepsi & Fritos)?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 47704/08/2013

I contacted the uploader several days ago.

No word yet.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 47804/08/2013

Oh so it seems like a few people have written the uploader aka "Missy's sibling". That person is probably wondering what the hell is going on and maybe is reading here. Hi Missy's sissy! Give us some dirt.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 47904/08/2013

Bump for more Joan love!!!!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 48004/09/2013

bump for spanish sow-sage

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 48104/09/2013

R471 lol not a Joan hag. I probably know more about her than someone my age should, but not much more than the average person. I am sort of classic film freak, something I inherited from my dad. What I do love is really cheesy stuff like this film. Also, I am fascinated on how obscure things like BRCM suddenly get unearth and take off on a life on their own. Besides, this has to be one of the funniest threads here. Some of the posts are hysterical.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 48204/09/2013

bump

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 48304/10/2013

Damn you, bumper at r483! I rushed back here thinking that one of our illustrious emailers had heard back from Missy/tzi! Yes, r482, this thread is a blast. We aren't hags in a bad way, just people who appreciate the works of Miss Crawford in whatever capacity. There are no small parts, only small actors.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 48404/10/2013

Turn the sound down and listen to it with Dark Side of the Moon. It will blow your mind.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 48504/10/2013

Speaking of Joan, do you bitches know about this?

MOMMIE DEAREST INC. IN ASSOCIATION WITH JERRY ROSENBERG TO PRESENT

CHRISTINA CRAWFORD in SURVIVING MOMMIE DEAREST

BEST SELLING AUTHOR WHO SHOCKED THE WORLD WITH THE FIRST CELEBRITY TELL-ALL WILL STAR IN AN INSPIRATIONAL NEW OFF-BROADWAY PRODUCTION ABOUT SURVIVAL & HER TURBULENT RELATIONSHIP WITH MOVIE LEGEND MOTHER JOAN CRAWFORD

LIMITED RUN! MOTHER’S DAY WEEK MAY 8th -12th

AT THE SNAPPLE THEATER CENTER

Mommie Dearest Inc. in association with Producer Jerry Rosenberg have announced dates for the New York premiere of SURVIVING MOMMIE DEAREST an empowering and inspirational new production starring Christina Crawford - actress, activist and author of the 1978 best-selling autobiographical book “Mommie Dearest.” The show features an award–winning bio-pic documentary covering 100 years of show-biz history and details the turbulent relationship between Christina and her movie legend mother, Joan Crawford. Complete with film clips and footage from forgotten 1940's home movies, SURVIVING MOMMIE DEAREST is slated for a limited run of 5 performances, during the week of Mother’s Day and will run off-Broadway at the Snapple Theater Center in Manhattan.

In addition to the Hollywood glitz and glamour of SURVIVING MOMMIE DEAREST, Ms. Crawford who wrote and narrates the documentary, recounts the abuse that she endured in her life, discusses her road to recovery, takes questions from the audience and closes the 90 minute show with a book signing. Also featured in the documentary is George Riddle, the star of Blood Country, which was recently awarded Best Film at the Toronto Film Festival. Music featured in the Documentary is by former American Idol David Hernandez.

Christina Crawford’s memoir, “Mommie Dearest” created a worldwide sensation and was published in seven foreign languages. Since then, she has written: Black Widow (a novel), Survivor, No Safe Place and Daughters of the Inquisition, in addition to publishing first the 20th Anniversary and then the 30th Anniversary Editions of “Mommie Dearest”, with updates and some revisions. The film of the same name was released in 1981 but without her participation in production or final approval. She has not received any royalty payments in the 30 years since the film was released.

Born in Hollywood, California and adopted by film star Joan Crawford, Christina Crawford was the focus of movie magazine photo shoots, press conference interviews and studio publicity. At ten years old she was sent to Chadwick School in Palos Verdes where she lived until she was fifteen and was transferred to Flintridge Sacred Heart in Pasadena from which she graduated at seventeen with honors. First to Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh as a Drama major and then to Neighborhood Playhouse in New York City, Ms. Crawford pursued her own acting career in theater. After an independent film in Miami, a small part with Elvis Presley in the film “Wild In The Country,” summer and winter stock performances, she did a co-starring role in the Chicago company of Barefoot In The Park for which she won the Sarah Siddons award for Best Young Actress. Ms. Crawford starred in the daytime soap opera “Secret Storm” in New York, in many nighttime TV shows in Los Angeles. After fourteen years as an actress, Christina returned to complete college, graduating Magna cum Laude from UCLA, and then a Masters Degree in Communication Management from the Annenberg School at University of California, after which she worked for the Getty Oil Company at their corporate headquarters. Since 1993, she has lived on over 100 acres in Northern Idaho where she initially owned a successful country inn, worked seven years as entertainment manager for the Coeur D’Alene Casino and produced her own regional weekly TV show that won three Telly Awards. She also served one term as County Commissioner. Christina is co-owner of the production “Surviving Mommie Dearest” which she wrote, co-directed and in which she currently stars.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 48604/10/2013

Wow, r486. If I ever doubted the veracity of Tina's stories before, I am now sure they were greatly exaggerated. What a bitch. Let it go, hun, it's been many years.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 48704/10/2013

You think you got it bad R484 with the false alarm bump? Imagine how I felt when I logged on to YouTube and saw there was a message for me. My heart leaped, "They wrote back! Mitzi's sibling!" At last, our quest is reaching its exciting climax. I felt like India Jones when he fell into the Well of Souls, minus all the snakes. But alas, it was some bullshit about YouTube and Google +. Fuck you, assholes. You got my hopes up only to dash them against the rocks like they were some unwanted baby.

Postings like R485 is whats making this thread an all time favorite of mine.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 48804/10/2013

Lol at r488. I'm sorry, that sounds like it was a heart racing moment. No doubt she will write back in a few weeks when we have all but written this off and you won't even be thinking of here when you open your email. Make sure she doesn't go into your spam though. You must be vigilant about this, we are all depending on you!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 48904/10/2013

I love how Christina is completely incapable of not playing the victim:

"She has not received any royalty payments in the 30 years since the film was released."

So are you trying to say the contract you signed when you sold the rights to the studio entitles you to royalty payments, and the studio has withheld them from you (which I'd think a lawsuit on your part would have cleared up decades ago)? Or were there no royalties specified in the contract, and you just think you should have been given some out of the goodness of the studio's heart?

No wonder Joan was driven to smacking this bitch!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 49004/10/2013

Ha ha r490. Sounds to me like Tina underestimated how much this movie would be loved by some (like us) and dumbly took a flat fee instead of a percentage and is now scrambling to get paid for the same old shit all over again, and if it's written to make is sound like she is altruistic, all the better. No wonder Joan left her out of the will, the girl clearly doesn't know how to handle money. I hope Missy/tzi got some money and not just an unspecified amount of Weirdos.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 49104/10/2013

[quote]when we have all but written this off

I will NEVER write this off! I will NEVER stop thinking about it. I'm like Mr Bernstein in Citizen Kane, forever thinking about the girl on the ferry in the white dress. The Big Rock Candy Mountain is my girl in the white dress. In fact, when I die, the last words that will part my lips will be, "who ever heard of a red Weirdo?"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 49204/10/2013

Lol at r492. Good for you! I will never write this off either, I back you on this. Some fickle fans may come and go from this thread but I won't be one of them.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 49304/10/2013

Christina didn't turn out so well, but I went to my grave knowing that I got it right with Mitzi.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 49404/10/2013

More laughing at r594. I love this thread and all the random comments it has spawned on other threads, like Joan commenting on how to steal saffron in the "Tips for Poor People" thread. I wonder if people there know what she's talking about. Any time I see mention of this in other threads I laugh my ass off.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 49504/10/2013

[quote] PS Does Mitzi get royalties from BRCM?

She received a year's supply of Weirdos n in lieu of payment. And a case of Turtle Wax as a lovely parting gift.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 49604/10/2013

I want to know why Missy's sister hasn't written back to r492 and the other person yet. She is the one who posted the fucking thing on youtube. She clearly knew it would be of high value to many people and that there would be questions to follow. You don't just let loose a gem like this and then lay low and and be mute. Is she fucking with us? If it were me, I would have come here from the initial email and read all the comments. I would then write back to r492 with a letter verifying everything we have said as being true (Joan drunk, bitchy, pretentious) just for fun and when the questions really came, I would then retreat and leave 'em wanting more.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 49704/10/2013

She probably is afraid to disclose the fact that Missy is still in daily intensive therapy.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 49804/10/2013

[quote]Turn the sound down and listen to it with Dark Side of the Moon. It will blow your mind.

Even better, turn the sound down and listen to it with The Flaming Lips song Do You Realize . The length of the song even equals the length of TBRCM.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 49904/10/2013

R497 It appears the original uploader of the video is connected to some television station. I'm not even sure if they are really a person or it was something a staff did. Its all so frustrating.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 50004/10/2013

Which one of you bitches is Steve?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 50204/10/2013

Perhaps R501, its best we dont know everything. The mystique would be ruined otherwise.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 50304/10/2013

We need to know facts!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 50404/10/2013

I agree with R503. BRCM still has many secrets. I like how oblique the script is. Missy and her mother can be anyone to Joan. And I like how we're left wondering IF she found all of the ingredients.

I wonder if what rhubarb is what Joan was forced to eat when she lived in the back of the cleaners.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 50504/10/2013

And I love her use of the liquid u when she says supermarket. Also, the more I watch, I realize how tipsy she was during that narration. I love it!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 50604/10/2013

A few details that haven't been discussed: In the parking lot Joan doesn't know what a Weirdo is but then later pretends to have some knowledge when she asks Mitzi "Whoever heard of a RED Weirdo?".

She also takes time to check for dust as she runs her finger along a shelf at 1:48. Ever the diligent housewife, that Joan!!!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 50704/10/2013

I prefer to think it is because "rhubarb" refers to the indistinct mutterings of extras in the background of a performance.

"Screen tests? ... No, not screen tests. Never screen tests."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 50804/10/2013

[quote]She also takes time to check for dust as she runs her finger along a shelf at 1:48. Ever the diligent housewife, that Joan!!!

"I'm not mad at Grand Union. I'm mad at the dirt."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 50904/10/2013

r507, even I could tell that Joan was bullshitting me!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 51004/10/2013

R492 and R493

like the grass, like the trees

like Frankenstein's monster!! I shall never

write this off either!!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 51104/10/2013

[quote]And I like how we're left wondering IF she found all of the ingredients.

That's the strangest thing (or one of the strangest things) about this video. It seems to be intended to convince us that the supermarket has everything we could possibly desire. Yet, there's Joan ("IF I can find all the ingredients"), not sounding the least bit hopeful.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 51204/10/2013

But thats the beauty of it R512. She comes in there doubtful she will get what she is looking for. By the end, she is so satisfied with what the supermarket offers, it becomes a religions moment for her. Not since her performance in Rain have we seen an actress undergo such a transformation.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 51304/10/2013

[quote]Not since her performance in Rain have we seen an actress undergo such a transformation.

LMFAO

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 51404/10/2013

Didn't Joan grow up poor, and stewed rhubarb was fed to her often because there was nothing else? I thought I read that somewhere, she loathed it for that reason. My mother also had to eat a lot of it during the Depression era, her family was very poor. I think rhubarb plants come back every year without replanting and are very hardy. So, an economical meal. Bitter though, from what I hear.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 51504/10/2013

Oh you laugh R514, but I am serious*. In Rain, we meet Sadie Thompson, a disillusioned and cynical woman, unimpressed with the common joys life offers. In BRCM, Joan once again plays a cynical broad, certain she will be disappointed in what the supermarket offers, unimpressed with the joy that is represented by the green Weirdo. In Rain, Sadie meets Handsome, who shows her that life can be rewarding and the joy and love that has eluded for so long is suddenly there. In BRCM, Joan meets a lobster, and the look of ecstasy on her face as she stares in to that crustaceans beady eyes tells us instantly: she has found what she has been looking for. In Rain, Sadie undergoes a religious epiphany and the Sadie of old is gone. In BRCM, Joan has a religious experience while standing in the check-out aisle and the old, bitter woman is gone, replaced by one with a renewed confidence in what life and the supermarket provides.

Of course, Rain ends with a guy on the beach dead of a self inflicted slash to the throat, brought on by his feelings of failure. But least we forget, BRCM ends abruptly. I feel at this point, with the parallels so clear, it is reasonable to assume Missy, distraught in not being able to secure a red Weirdo, killed herself. In the final reel, Joan and the lobster are seen heading off to Australia where they will begin a new life, free of the stain of guilt and shame. The End.

* and by serious, I mean I am fucking delusional.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 51604/10/2013

I can't help but feel that there is a bit more of the film we haven't seen - the supermarket race feels like a tacked-on fragment from another film.

There has to be a concluding shot with a few more lines of dialogue ("Where's mommy, Joan?" "She's gone, Missy. And you're never going to see her again. And you'll never get a red Wierdo.")

Also, does anyone else find the fact that the color is faded and gone only adds to its haunting, timeless quality? Or would you prefer to see it restored to three-strip TORCH SONG Techicolor glory?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 51704/11/2013

[quote]I can't help but feel that there is a bit more of the film we haven't seen - the supermarket race feels like a tacked-on fragment from another film.

The full film of that is posted at R362

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 51804/11/2013

I'm with R517.. I think there is more to the Crawford film... we must find it! It's up there with the lost footage ("Jitterbug" and the Rainbow Bridge sequence) from THE WIZARD OF OZ.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 51904/11/2013

I agree, think of all of the cutting the producers of this little ditty did! Where are those lost frames?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 52004/11/2013

[quote]Of course, Rain ends with a guy on the beach dead of a self inflicted slash to the throat, brought on by his feelings of failure. But least we forget, BRCM ends abruptly. I feel at this point, with the parallels so clear, it is reasonable to assume Missy, distraught in not being able to secure a red Weirdo, killed herself. In the final reel, Joan and the lobster are seen heading off to Australia where they will begin a new life, free of the stain of guilt and shame. The End.

Annnnnnd SCENE!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 52104/11/2013

[quote]Joan meets a lobster, and the look of ecstasy on her face as she stares in to that crustaceans beady eyes tells us instantly: she has found what she has been looking for.

I cant stop laughing at this. R516, you have a gift.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 52204/11/2013

I like the scratched faded quality of the film, it's almost like found footage. And the titles are all slightly askew, a hint to the viewer that this supermarket excursion won't be like any other.

And maybe perhaps the earth rising over the chords of 'Also sprach Zathustra' segued to a triumphant close-up of Joan sipping a Pepsi while dangling a red Wierdo from the dainty finger of her gloved hand, but we'll never know.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 52304/11/2013

Yes they have a "It Came from Beneath the Sea" title slant. haha.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 52404/11/2013

Still no word from the uploader/sibling regarding Missy? I really hope this thread has not totally alienated him/her.

And maybe camp just doesn't resonate with him/her.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 52504/11/2013

Isn't Big Rock Candy Mountain a child's horror story where the children are eaten?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 52604/11/2013

Are you kidding? S/he knows exactly what they are doing in uploading a clip like this. They better write my friend at r492 back. They must know the camp value and the value period.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 52704/11/2013

[quote]Didn't Joan grow up poor, and stewed rhubarb was fed to her often because there was nothing else? I thought I read that somewhere, she loathed it for that reason. My mother also had to eat a lot of it during the Depression era, her family was very poor. I think rhubarb plants come back every year without replanting and are very hardy. So, an economical meal. Bitter though, from what I hear.

Actually, in an interview from 1948, (linked below), it is reported that rhubarb is one of her favorite foods: [quote]She likes to eat and her favorite dishes are salads, cereals and rhubarb.

And rhubarb isn't bitter, it can be very sweet and is great for desserts.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 52804/11/2013

"Lucille, you eat that rhubarb! When you get older, you'll have to put much more disgusting things in your mouth!"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 52904/11/2013

Meh r528 , it's more of a filler for good pies, like strawberry. If what the quoted person said is true, than it is even better than we thought. Joan, tossing out that rhubard barb as a secret code to her biggest fans, who know she hates rhubarb. Oh what a crafty one she was...

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 53004/11/2013

There's nothing I like more than shopping for knick-knacks.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 53104/11/2013

r523: That final, incomplete fade of the tunnel(?) is so tantalizing. What was going on there? The last minutes of footage is absolutely missing - and there was certainly a few frames of "THE END".

I love the way Joan says "It pretty much DUZZZ."

And I love the way she mentions 1980. What would she have thought of the '80s?!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 53204/11/2013

She would've appreciated Madonna's True Blue-era eyebrows.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 53304/11/2013

r523 and r532 You guys rock. And yes, the way she says 1980 is pretty much the way one of us would scoffingly say 2020.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 53404/11/2013

[quote]The girl who won an Oscar when she was considered through in pictures has her own way of helping other actresses win theirs

I love how they call her a "girl" even though she was a month away from her 44th birthday. XD

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 53504/11/2013

Marc Shaiman needs to turn Big Rock Candy Mountain into a Broadway musical. I can see Patti LuPone as Joan Crawford and Kristen Chenoweth as Missy.

Sample songs: "Spanish Dinner", "Whoever Heard of a Red Weirdo?", "Rhubarb". And dance numbers featuring dancing lobsters and green Weirdos.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 53604/11/2013

Patti LuPone can play the maid (if Shaiman writes her into the musical). I will play Joan.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 53704/11/2013

Gasp!

At the 2:13 mark, Joan admits to slumming at Sears and buying off the rack!

Apparently, she wanted to prove that she could look plain, common, and frumpy as Mildred Pierce for her screen test.

What a wonderful promo for Sears!

Wouldn't that have been a great short film?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 53804/11/2013

Laughing my ass off at r536..can you make an outline for the red weirdo song? You are killing me, Smalls, you're goddamn killing me.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 53904/11/2013

r538 Don't say screen test! (Carol Ann, whispering)

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 54004/11/2013

No, Glenn. I will play Joan. I think you are much better-suited to the role of the cashier. You might even be given a line or two of dialogue.

I will go to bat for you.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 54104/11/2013

[quote]Sample songs: "Spanish Dinner", "Whoever Heard of a Red Weirdo?", "Rhubarb".

Accompanied by: "The Great Big Cupboard in the Sky", "Green, like the Grass...." and "Eat your Weirdo".

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 54204/11/2013

"Spanish Sausage" will be performed by Raul Esparza.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 54304/11/2013

This thread has become way too much fun. I am actually watching "Mommie Dearest" right now, as we write, to laugh it up. Please, more song titles.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 54404/11/2013

For R544 :

"The Origins of Meat"

"I Hate Fish!"

"The Men I Might Meet in the Parking Lot"

"Billions to Make"

"Everything's Here, but where am I?"

"Dear God"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 54504/11/2013

I love you r545.

I hope that I may keep the doll and the bracelet.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 54604/11/2013

Would the mom get a big dance number as she makes her exit from the store... purse in hand?

The check out girls would get a tap number surely. Something along the lines of "Forget about the Boy from THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE." Perhaps a dream sequence where they circle Missy in her shopping cart "Forget about the Weirdo!" Something along the lines of the Halloween Ballet from the Broadway version of MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS or "Temper, Temper" from MARY POPPINS the musical. Finishing off with a tap number on the check out counters, tapping their shoe against the cash register in perfect syncronization.

Would a life size Joan Crawford puppet emerging from the Birds Eye frozen food freezer a la Margaret Thatcher in BILLY ELLIOT be a bit too much?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 54704/11/2013

From R528's link:

[quote]Her real name is Billie Cassin. She hails from San Antonio, Tex., and the date is March 23. She took the name of Lucille Le Sueur -- quite fancy -- for professional reasons. Later she was given her present name as the result of a movie fan magazine contest.

What?! From every source I've read, her real name was Lucille Fay LeSueur. What is this "Billie Cassin" business?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 54804/11/2013

r548 What, indeed? I have also never heard that and I can assure you, those men have never been in my kitchen.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 54904/11/2013

r547: I see Missy "I Hate Fish!" being menaced by giant fish heads and lobsters like "Temper, Temper" from MARY POPPINS.

Surely Stro can choreograph something with Shopping carts!

A "Spanish Dinn-ah" number with flamenco dancers, Raul in Desi Arnazian ruffled rhumba sleeves and Joan channeling Dolores Del Rio as she Waring-blenders the to-mah-toes for gaz-pach-o?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 55004/11/2013

I like it R550!

from R547

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 55104/11/2013

Lucille LeSueur was her birth name. "Billie Cassin" = her childhood nickname plus her stepfather's last name. She went back to her original name when she first got into pictures.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 55204/11/2013

We could get one of those insufferable girls from MATILDA to play Missy

But who'd play Joan? Is Jan Maxwell available?

Victoria Clark for the mom... although we'd have to 'age' the mom.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 55304/11/2013

" Joans' Turn" sung right after Missy says "You turn it Joan"

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 55404/11/2013

"Don't Hide From Me, Spanish Sow-sage" sung to the tune of Don't Cry For me Argentina.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 55504/11/2013

Joan's God monologue will be turned into a dream ballet sequence!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 55604/11/2013

The Hell with Broadway!

BRCM & Joan Crawford both deserve nothing less than to be developed into a full fledged Wagnerian style Grand Opera !

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 55704/11/2013

I've watched this probably ten times (I know...help!), and I just noticed that if you watch closely, she crinkles her nose in distaste when her voiceover says "rhubarb." Such a pro, that Joan.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 55804/11/2013

Can someone tell me what Joan is doing at the 1:53 mark? She's walking down an aisle and it appears as if she's going to grab something, but she changes her mind. Can you make out what she's mumbling to herself?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 55904/11/2013

[quote]and by serious, I mean I am fucking delusional

No, R516, you're fucking brilliant! And that post was fucking hilarious.

We need more of you in the world.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 56004/11/2013

Thank you, R560. And sadly, no. I have not heard back from the person who originally up-loaded the video.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 56104/12/2013

I think you need to Email the guy who runs "The Concluding Chapter of Crawford". He would know EVERYTHING about this film.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 56204/12/2013

I wonder if Missy had to go into counseling afterwards.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 56304/12/2013

Cassin was her stepfather's name, and she used that name as her surname when she lived in Oklahoma as a child. She didn't know her stepfather wasn't her birth father and that her real surname was LeSueur until she was a few years old.

Billie was her childhood nickname, so she grew up thinking her name was Billie Cassin.

But no, she didn't adopt Lucille LeSueur "for professional reasons." That was her birth name.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 56404/12/2013

R563 see R498

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 56504/12/2013

One thing (of many) I love about the film is the awareness that Joan barely tolerates , nay, loathes Missy. She's coldly businesslike in her exchanges with her and even the fake-warmth of "where do you think milk comes from?" exchange is destroyed by Joan's crisp, dismissive "Nevermind!"

Also: What is Missy's mother relationship to Joan? Is she one of Joan's maids? The wife of a low-level Pepsi bottler Joan met at last month's Pepsi Sales Rep meeting? Joan's desgnater driver?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 56604/12/2013

Joan is the one doing the driving.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 56704/12/2013

"See You at the See-yoopermarket!" should be the title of the finale of The Big Rock Candy Mountain, the Musical.

"So we'll see you,

See you at the see-youpermarket.

We'll see you in aisle four.

If you want to make gazpacho

You will see that this is not'cho'

Mother's tiny, inconvenient corner grocery of yore . . ."

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 56804/13/2013

I just saw some Spanish Sorr-sage in Aldi, and immediately thought of this thread and chuckled. I almost had an impulse to buy it, but then remembered I'm a vegetarian and that would be nuts.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 56904/13/2013

The little girl looks defiant. Joan can barely tolerate her. Joan lived on 69th and 3rd in a terribly tasteful apartment, I would have adored a Spanish meal cooked in her apartment. I don't think Missy and her Weirdo collection would be invited.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 57004/13/2013

This thread was played out somewhere in the 200's.

The OP is so excited he has a successful thread that he keeps bumping it.

It's over. Let it die.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 57104/13/2013

Don't read it R571.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 57204/13/2013

I agree with r571, and I will continue to read it, just to spite r572.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 57304/13/2013

R571 fuck you, stop being a hall monitor.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 57404/13/2013

The truth is out there.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 57504/13/2013

If only R575. But something tells me the cutting room floor was remarkably clean. The parts that should have been re-shot:

1 - In the parking lot, a blast from a car horn steps on Missy's line.

2 - Entering the market, Mother walks between Joan and the camera, effectively upstaging the star.

3 - Women at customer service desk staring directly into the camera.

This wouldn't have happened if Thalberg was in charge.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 57604/13/2013

This thread is really starting to get good now. Just wait till our person hears back. We will dissect the shit out of that and need a whole new thread.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 57704/13/2013

It's worth noting that Pepsi and Fritos (for that Spanish din-nah) are the only brands shown clearly.

I've tried to make out others. It looks like there is an Entenmann's cakes display on the corner where Joan turns her cart, and there MAY be Fleischmann's margerine in her cart.

It all depends where the supermarket was - I'm assuming in the greater New York area (or Long Island).

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 57804/13/2013

R578 If you're right about Entenmann's, then it had to be in the east, as in those days it was not sold in the west.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 57904/13/2013

Didn't someone determine it was shot on the east coast? Someone recognized the license plate on the car.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 58004/13/2013

East coast. The big G seen in the shot of the checkout belt was the logo for Grand Union which was a chain from the NY area at the time. I think they had stores down to the DC area and a stray division in Florida. Grand Union is also the store seen in the final sequence of the 1975 Stepford Wives.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 58104/13/2013

Totally random, but I just dicovered that an Italian named Silvio Berlusconi wrote/edited a book about Joan. Could it be? And for R576, check out this hilarious interview in which Franchot Tone tells of what Joan advises in the event that someone is trying to steal a scene from you: [quote]Joan's generosity towards her fellow actors was a revelation to him. He had been warned that every movie star was for self, and heaven rescue the rest of the cast.

"Which is silly generalization," Franchot declares. "Joan is fair to everyone. She wants each person to do his best." She told him how to deal with these scene-stealers.

"An actor may maneuver around so that you are 'backed up,' as they describe it. He emerges full-face to the camera and you have only a profile showing. Joan recommended that if such a situation arose I turn my back completely to the camera. Then the director would have to give me a close-up to see what the heck I was expressing on my face!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 58204/13/2013

I thought it was a Giant Food Store.

Here's their old logo:

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 58304/13/2013

Has this been posted? If not, enjoy.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 58404/13/2013

R582 Ann Blythe says something similar about her generosity to other actors as well on some TCM Mildred Pierce promo.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 58504/13/2013

"An actor may maneuver around so that you are 'backed up,' as they describe it. He emerges full-face to the camera and you have only a profile showing. Joan recommended that if such a situation arose I turn my back completely to the camera. Then the director would have to give me a close-up to see what the heck I was expressing on my face!"

I love Filmmaking: Crawford Style! Where the director would never dare just say "Cut! Let's take it again, but Joan, could you face the camera this time, please?" Not on a Crawford set!!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 58604/13/2013

Missy reminds me of the little girl in the famous 'daisy' political ad. Remember, the girl plucks the petals of a daisy and then a nuclear mushroom cloud happens? Could they be the same girl?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 58704/13/2013

Thank you [584]. Most enjoyable.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 58804/14/2013

Missy looks like the little girl who played Tabitha on Bewitched.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 58904/14/2013

Guess whose arm she used as an ashtray.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 59004/14/2013

Gawd, R590, she looks like she's still drunk from the night before. It's like watching Edwrd G. Robinson in drag.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 59104/14/2013

I'm making a Sumerian dinner ... barley, chickpeas ... IF I can find all of the ingredients.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 59204/15/2013

It's green!

Like the grass, like the trees, like this Percocet.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 59304/15/2013

Loved the Joan Flashdance video.

Is that a young Clark Gale looking fucking fine leaning next to the piano (three seconds in)?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 59404/15/2013

Where is the Flashdance vid, r594?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 59504/15/2013

For R595:

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 59604/15/2013

At 3:32, Joan sticks her fingers in her ears and does a little jerk with her pelvis. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 59704/15/2013

Thank you, r596. Thats a great mix. Here's another one. A classic Danorama mix to help close this thread...

He needs to do a new mix just of the supermarket film!

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 59804/15/2013

Haha, R597, I don't know, but I love her facial expression at 1:57 with the balloons.

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 59904/15/2013

Act Two:

by Mom ditched that kid FASTreply 60004/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.