Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Matt Lauer 'Simply Didn't Like' Ann Curry, Almost Jumped To ABC: NY Mag

"Today" host Matt Lauer recently joked at an advertiser event that he was trying hard to make the show "the most-watched morning program, and least talked-about morning program.”

by Anonymousreply 9006/24/2013

Matt Lauer just makes everything worse every time he opens his mouth about Ann Curry to the media.

by Anonymousreply 103/26/2013

Does this mean he's already been told he'll be up when his contract is?

by Anonymousreply 203/26/2013

And many viewers 'Simply Don't Like" Matt Lauer, hence the shitty ratings.

by Anonymousreply 303/26/2013

Translation: Ann wouldn't swallow.

by Anonymousreply 403/26/2013

When will NBC realize that Matt Lauer is the problem? Get rid of him.

by Anonymousreply 503/26/2013

Don't my buff bod and big dick count for anything?

You gays are so fickle.

by Anonymousreply 603/26/2013

People may hate Matt for Ann leaving, but that doesn't change that she's not a great interviewer and was miscast on the show.

EW wrote she's so EARNEST in her interviews; I thought that nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 703/26/2013

R7. Ann Curry was not miscast. She was a great member of the team, and her interviews were just fine. 'Today' lost a very good broadcast journalist when Ann left.

Today lost me when Ann said goodbye. She was the only one on Today keeping me a loyal viewer.

by Anonymousreply 803/26/2013

Matt looks just like Michael Lohan in this photo, which is sad.

And, yes, Ann was miscast. Or, okay, let's not quibble over a word. She was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 903/26/2013

Friends in NYC media circles (producers at MSNBC and CNN) are BUZZING that Anderson Cooper will absolutely be offered Matt's job. It's almost a done deal.

by Anonymousreply 1003/26/2013

I never watch NBC. Matt Lauer is fugly and I don't know why they keep him around. Their so called news is boring and they have no interesting shows to watch.

by Anonymousreply 1103/26/2013

When NBC first announced Ann to partner with Matt, I was shocked. They NEVER had good chemistry. She was always fawning over him and touching him during their outside segments, and he was always pulling away from her. He's a known germaphobe and the fact that she was always pawing him seemed to be done on purpose to annoy him.

Ann does very well with reporting but sucked at the live interview. She often talked more than the person whom she was interviewing, and sometimes her questions were too long and complicated. This was her weak spot on the Today show in her supporting role so why they promoted her to a more prominent role in that aspect was a mystery.

Matt is a bit of an odd ball but he is not the problem.

By the way, they really need to change the Today Show set ASAp. It is about as warm and inviting as an operating room. That is a BIG problem with that show - the set is cold and clinical.

by Anonymousreply 1203/26/2013

NY did a real hatchet job on Ann Curry and did everything in their power to convince the reader that Matt Lauer was simply acting "professionall," not like a two-bit Machiaveli. But the bottom line is that the show came off as scapegoating one person for a sinking ship, and now that the ship continues to sink they can't seem to figure out anything to right it other than to continue blaming the scapegoat. Sorry folks, but even if Ann Curry was everything they claimed, she's gone so she's no longer the problem. Something else is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1303/26/2013

Just a question to make morning television viewers think:

What would you do if, in an alternative universe, the broadcasting day did not start till 4PM?

What would you do to replace morning TV, if anything?

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2013

People hated Matt Lauer even before the Ann fiasco. He's always come off as an arrogant ass.

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

Rumor is that Matt is fucking that chipmunk toothy co-host.

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2013

Well, it wouldn't be the first time for that Guthrie, R16.

She was the "other woman" in Anne Kornblut's first marriage to a BBC reporter(?). He and Guthrie met when they were covering the Michael Jackson trial.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

Isn't Willie Geist set to replace Matt? I was watching Morning Joe this am and he was subbing for Joe and Mika and then I turned over to the Today Show and he was doing a story on Tiger Woods and then back to Joe. I don't understand how he can keep that up. Get rid of Matt. Make Willie and Savannah the hosts and you have a team that is complatible and tension free. Or better yet make Tamron Hall and Lester the hosts. Crazy chemistry there.

by Anonymousreply 1803/26/2013

R12 nails it. Thread closed.

It's weird how someone disliked at the Datalounge becomes a favorite after they've been fired. Ann Curry is a case in point. She sucked as Today co-host, and her teary exit interview on the air was embarrassing. I'm not saying I like the bald, toothy Lauer.

by Anonymousreply 1903/26/2013

I like Tamron Hall. They should make her the newsreader. She's fun and does the job well.

I can't keep Natalie and Savannah straight. THey both look alike and even though they forced one of them to get her hair cut (I'm sure it was because no one in their viewing audience could distinguish the two), it's still impossible to tell them apart.

They should add Maria Shriver and call it Matt and the three sisters.

by Anonymousreply 2003/26/2013

Ann Curry is gone, r19.

by Anonymousreply 2103/26/2013

Ann was cringe inducing but it's sad when they do show her doing some live remote from Pluto or such and she looks like the waif from the Les Miz posters.

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

[quote]Friends in NYC media circles (producers at MSNBC and CNN) are BUZZING that Anderson Cooper will absolutely be offered Matt's job. It's almost a done deal.

Oh God, not Anderson! I'm so sick of seeing the same old faces on all the news shows. Can't they get some new faces, preferably a hot guy under 35?

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

I love the fun-lovin' weatherman, Al Roker. NBC should give him more to do.

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

Wasn't Matt recently heard saying that the facts were all wrong and he was in fact the person trying to save Ann Curry?

Yeah, like anyone would believe that.

From what I understand, NBC is well aware (finally) that Matt is the problem and they want to bring back either Meredith, Katie, or Maria Shriver.

NBC realizes that they're going to have to pay out big time to get one of those three and the rumor is that part of that money is going to come from Matt's salary, meaning, he's getting a reduction if he wants to stay on.

by Anonymousreply 2503/26/2013

Anderson Cooper being host of Today would be a better for him than his talk show or AC 360

by Anonymousreply 2603/26/2013

Can't they move Kathie Lee and Hoda "Not a Typographical Error" Kotb to the earlier slots?

by Anonymousreply 2703/26/2013

Can't they take Kathy Lee and Hoda off the air? They're an embarrasment.

by Anonymousreply 2803/26/2013

WTF, R21? DUH.

by Anonymousreply 2903/26/2013

Whomever said Matt looks like a meerkat was so right

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013

KLG is such a passive aggressive douche to Hoda.

Hoda is finally starting to stand up for herself.

by Anonymousreply 3103/26/2013

Anderson Cooper would be better than Matt Lauer. AC does a good job with fluffy news. Before NBC stuck Hoda Kotb with Kathie Lee, Hoda was an excellent reportor and interviewer for hard news.

by Anonymousreply 3203/26/2013

Imagine Anderson Cooper with Hoda Kotb and Tamron Hall. That would be fun.

by Anonymousreply 3303/26/2013

I think an on air catfight between Hoda and KLG would do wonders for the sagging ratings.

by Anonymousreply 3403/26/2013

Who ever run the Today Show or calls the shots blew it. Ann was awful when Couric and Viera were co-hosts. She was laugh out loud awful at times and cringe producing during interviews. HOW did she end up in the co-host seat. She seemed like she was nice and she was trying- but to no avail, and for years. I never understood it.

I guess Matt handled it wrong. But the person who really did is (are) the producer(s).

by Anonymousreply 3503/26/2013

[quote]Ann Curry was not miscast. She was a great member of the team, and her interviews were just fine.

She fawned all over that vile gay basher Kunt Cameron without one word questioning the statements he had just made against gays. She is useless and maudlin and the quintessential concern troll/frau.

Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 3603/26/2013

The hosts should be Lester and Hoda.

by Anonymousreply 3703/26/2013

Today is the perfect gig for Anderson, a mix of hard and news, plus live, sit down interviews with guests. And the frau-ish morning show audience loves him.

It'd be great if they could lure Katie or Meredith back. He'd do well with either of them. If they want new (and cheaper) blood, Soledad O'Brien is available. She's another who could effortlessly trade up from cable news talking head to network morning show host. She'd definitely nail the hard news and challenging interviews part of the job.

Just for god's sake, ditch Matt Lauer. His looks, the only thing he really had going for him (at least now that we know what a douche he is) are long gone. He's tainted goods now.

by Anonymousreply 3803/26/2013

From OP's link:

[quote]Curry's despair was plain for all to see when she bid farewell to the show. Her on-air tears, and especially her pained refusal to let Lauer hug her, immortalized her public image as the wronged victim. Hagan writes that, off air, she was just as distraught, crying all the way to the airport as soon as the show ended.

Good grief -- she sounds like a brat whose feelings have been hurt at a kindergarten birthday party. If she wants to work out in the real world, she's going to have to grow up.

by Anonymousreply 3903/26/2013

All of these Matt Lauer stories sparking up lately are the work of his "people", who see the writing on the wall and need to get his next gig on radar

by Anonymousreply 4003/26/2013

Why is anyone still watching this dreck?

by Anonymousreply 4103/26/2013

Matt may be an arrogant ass but Ann stumbled and bumbled so much that I used to cringe watching her.

by Anonymousreply 4203/26/2013

"Matt Lauer 'Simply Didn't Like' Ann Curry."

Reason: Ann is too classy and didn't want to catch any diseases so she wouldn't fuck ML. Hence the animosity.

by Anonymousreply 4303/26/2013

They haven't been showing Matt lately...oh, please! Let this continue.

by Anonymousreply 4403/26/2013

But she was a classy klutz r42, she made you cringe but she also made you care. She made you caringe, as it were.

by Anonymousreply 4503/26/2013

"The hosts should be Lester and Hoda."

I prefer Tamron Hall to Hoda. But would NBC go for such a black team? Al Roker's in there too.

by Anonymousreply 4603/26/2013

[quote]When NBC first announced Ann to partner with Matt, I was shocked. They NEVER had good chemistry. She was always fawning over him and touching him during their outside segments, and he was always pulling away from her. He's a known germaphobe and the fact that she was always pawing him seemed to be done on purpose to annoy him.

The fact that Matt is a Germaphobe turns me off.

by Anonymousreply 4703/26/2013

Do Germaphobes go down on women? Having your face in that I would think would be their worst nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 4803/26/2013

Fuck Hoda, there isn't a homophobe she wouldn't defend. Someone complained that Curry didn't confront Kirk Cameron about his homophobia in an interview. If Kirk also appeared on Hoda & Kathie, I can guarantee they didn't either.

by Anonymousreply 4903/26/2013

What they should have done was hype up a new co-host and picked someone as a surprise announcement -- instead of simply promoting Ann, who was clearly in over her head.

R48, he uses Saran wrap. She can feel everything, you can do proper stimulation of clit, ALL without juices touching your face. He may wear one of those plastic rain hats too.

by Anonymousreply 5003/26/2013

Can't we talk about Michael Strahan and why I should my have my tongue up his ass?

by Anonymousreply 5103/26/2013

r48, I am afraid to read that link. Never thought of saran wrap, I guess you could use that to tongue somebody's hole too?

by Anonymousreply 5203/26/2013

I haven't watched that program in donkey's years.

Can't they just get rid of everyone? They all seem to suck pretty severely.

by Anonymousreply 5303/26/2013

All of you who still love Matt can now send for his Franklin Mint, Limited Edition Doll!

by Anonymousreply 5403/26/2013

Matt worked for years with her before she got the hosting position. If he didn't like her or didn't think she was fit for the job then wouldn't he have said so then?

I haven't watched Today in years but when I did, whenever Ann subbed as a host I would switch channels. She was by far the worst interviewer in the morning. I would cringe listening to her ask questions so I would have to turn off the show. I never understood how anyone gave her the hosting job to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 5503/26/2013

Ann's elevation to sainthood is beyond me.

Terrible interviewer, awkward presence and, no, not a great reporter. Where I give her credit is her commitment to report stories from third-world countries.

As Bryant Gumbel wrote after she on-air breakdown when she announced she was being canned, it comes with the job and who among us hasn't been fired at one point in our careers. We collect our millions and know how it goes.

Oh, and for the record, I happen to know that years ago when she was a news reader, Matt thought Ann was an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 5603/27/2013

Yeah Matt's problem wasn't hating Ann, but being stupid enough to let it leak to the public. He should've jumped ship to ABC, he had a way out but was too stupid to take it.

by Anonymousreply 5703/27/2013

Is Hoda black? I thought she was middle eastern.

by Anonymousreply 5803/27/2013

I think Hoda is Egyptian

by Anonymousreply 5903/27/2013

I am fucking outraged at what the town of Southampton allowed him to do. He bought a beautiful tree nursery that had been designated an agricultural reserve and has cluttered the whole property with long, ugly buildings. He calls it a "personal equestrian compound" but it looks like a bunch of fucking big sheds.

Money talks out here. "Agricultural reserve" my ass. People pay extra money for their property if it borders an agricultural reserve because the idea is that you will never have to look at a housing development or an ugly bunch of commercial buildings. Instead, you get to look at Matt Lauer's crowded ugly sheds after you paid through the nose for your property.

by Anonymousreply 6003/27/2013

My heart weeps, R60.

by Anonymousreply 6103/27/2013

Buyer beware, R60. You should have checked the zoning to see if the property was, in fact, preserved. Apparently it wasn't, despite the bullshit story your realtor slung at you to get you to buy there.

by Anonymousreply 6203/27/2013

R7, you are right. Ann Curry was not right as a co-host of the Today Show. She is a good journalist at times. She is a good person. But she could not handle with ease the variety of segments a co-host of a morning program must do. Katie Couric could. Meredith Vieira could. And Savannah Guthrie is doing okay with it. Ann Curry never could. Her enthusiasm was forced and contrived at times. Matt Lauer is not to blame for Ann's firing.

by Anonymousreply 6303/27/2013

I am totally with R56 and R63. Ann was cringeworthy at times- for years and especially bad when she co-hosted. She bungled language, she made interview 101 mistakes all the time (closed ended questions) and she tried so hard it hurt to watch her- even though she was nice.

She lost her job and I think was thoroughly unprofessional on air as she left. Even more boggling since she left with millions.

NBC was clueless to make her cohost and clueless as to how to transition her off when they realized they had made a mistake. It's just silly to blame Matt Lauer. It's hard to work with someone you know is bringing down the quality of the show (or your work.) But I guess he handled himself poorly too, and perhaps opened himself to fire perhaps because he is not the most likable fellow- who knows.

But Ann was the worst person on AM TV and in that genre- had been for years. My boyfriend and I used to wonder all the time, years ago, how and why they kept her on air.

by Anonymousreply 6403/27/2013

Here's a great new NYT article on the Curry/Lauer debacle.

by Anonymousreply 6604/18/2013

Thanks R66. Good read. Like one of the commenters I watch CBS in the morning. It's the only actual NEWS show without the rancid Beibers or Kartrashians being mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 6704/18/2013

Instead of being [bold]waived[/bold] through by a security guard or rescued by one of the legions of pages or young producers from “Today,” Curry queued up at NBC’s visitors’ center, where the lunch-delivery guys and MSNBC guests announced themselves.

Shame on you, NYT.

by Anonymousreply 6804/18/2013

I'm glad Matt is getting all this flak--he really did behave badly to Ann, from all accounts, and the fact that he hypocritically tried to hug her on her last day when she was crying about leaving made it all the worse. (I loved that she refused to let him hug her.)

If you're going to sell the idea that a morning show team is one big happy family, then you can't have some jerk sabotaging someone else behind the scenes. This is the lesson Deborah Norville learned and now it's the lesson Matt is learning.

by Anonymousreply 6904/18/2013

Ha, Curry hated covering missing white women!

by Anonymousreply 7004/18/2013

[quote]This is the lesson Deborah Norville learned and now it's the lesson Matt is learning.

I'm not sure it wasn't Bryant Gumble (Lauer's best friend) who learned that lesson. According to the article, Gumble's popularity never recovered. At the time, there were many rumors saying he had lobbied hard to get rid of Jane Pauley, and it rightfully hurt him.

by Anonymousreply 7104/18/2013

Anderson WOULD be perfect for Today, he can do the serious and the silly well. After CNN's debacle in Boston yesterday, he MUST be ready to get the hell outta there.

by Anonymousreply 7204/18/2013

Jim Bell sounds awful, and on top of that, he was the one who was in charge of NBC's supremely shitty Olympics coverage last year.

by Anonymousreply 7304/18/2013

Who likes Matt "Bullethead" Lauer, anyway? He's always kind of sent me running (on the rare occasion I had the TV on at that hour).

by Anonymousreply 7404/18/2013

Matt was really hot and likeable when he had hair and was younger.

It's interesting to me how protective the public feels towards these early morning anchors like Curry and Pauley. After Pauley left "The Today Show" years ago, New York Magazine did this cover story on her called "The Saint" that talked about how the public felt she was so victimized that for a while afterwards she would be mobbed by well-wishers wherever she went.

by Anonymousreply 7504/18/2013

It's like the LATE night wars from a few years ago with O'Brien and Leno. These rich, coddled morning anchors (NEWS READERS) are vastly overpaid and fawned over. There are a million talented people out there who could do their jobs a hundred times better. But they will never get the chance. Curry was pretty bad but bullet-headed Lauer is WAAAAYY past his sell-by date. And all the rest of them are anodyne and silly. I could barely tell a Savannah Guthrie from a Natalie Morales. Isn't that the same person, I mean REALLY?

I hate GMA, too. Silly pop culture fluff is all it is. All those giggling morons talking over each other. Lara Spencer's voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

The only network morning show with any semblance of delivering news (and the bar is very low) is CBS with Charlie Rose and Gail King. They are quiet, professional and have some substance.

by Anonymousreply 7604/18/2013

Bumped because that other Ann Curry thread is annoying me.

by Anonymousreply 7804/18/2013

I simply didn't like Ann Curry, either.

by Anonymousreply 7904/18/2013

Why?

by Anonymousreply 8004/18/2013

How does he feel about lamb curry?

by Anonymousreply 8104/18/2013

R76 CBS is my favorite morning news. Charlie and Gayle do a great job.

by Anonymousreply 8204/18/2013

Matt has become a humorless, sanctimonious bore. Curry was creepy. She's the soft story reporter who goes out to the state fair.

by Anonymousreply 8304/18/2013

But I have a twat, and therefore deserve fame, wealth and a high-profile celebrity-status job! AND I AM A MINORITY!!!

Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo.

by Anonymousreply 8404/18/2013

What's the matter, R84? Twat envy syndrome acting up again?

by Anonymousreply 8504/18/2013

The woman fucked up the show. Matt and Al could do the whole damn thing themselves. They don't need a woman in the mix.

by Anonymousreply 8604/18/2013

the plan to oust Ann was called 'Operation Bambi.'

the way she was treated though they may as well have called it 'Operation Bambi's Mother.'

by Anonymousreply 8704/18/2013

my favorite was when Jim Bell was caught on an open mic (in between hour 3 and 4 when stations were in local news) singing to This Old Man:

"Me Chinese, me no smoke, me make pee pee in your coke."

Many assumed he was making fun of Curry (again).

by Anonymousreply 8804/20/2013

A book is coming out this month , which the author is going to spill all of the behind the scenes dirt on the morning shows. It's called, "Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV" Here is the Amazon link.

by Anonymousreply 8904/20/2013

GOD, I HATE Savannah Guthrie's skinny lips!!! Kissing her would be like kissing a chicken!!! Doesn't she make enough to have them done??? They annoy me to the point of distraction!!!

by Anonymousreply 9006/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.