Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is there beef between Americans and British people?

I've always wondered that, I've seen a lot of Americans on here who speak about the English in a very mean tone.

by Anonymousreply 10104/10/2013

Maybe once, but now it's a mix of beef and horse.

by Anonymousreply 103/25/2013

W&W for R1!

by Anonymousreply 203/25/2013

roast beef

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2013

I think that it is just one person that posts over and over.

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013

1776 and all that

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2013

Taxation without representation. Hello!!

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2013

*were

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

[quote]I used to think British people we OK until the last 6-7 years when they started becoming obsessed with copying American culture

It's been the other way round many times.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

The British are coming!

The British are coming!

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

They seem to have adopted a lot of wigger culture, which is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

We'll take back Gwyneth if they'll take back the Osbournes. Seriously, can't we deport them?

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

We Americans hate everybody. If the last person alive is an American, they'll refuse to get along and will constantly complaining about how they are treating themselves.

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2013

England doesn't have any city as fabulous as NYC.

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

No British beef, please.

Between Bachmann, Coulter, Ingraham, Palin, Brewer and Taitz, we have more than enough Mad Cow here already.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

I've lived and worked in London on and off for a decade (eight months was my longest stay). Although there are exceptions, I found the English to be unfriendly drunks and a good many of the worst of these were horrible snobs as well. I didn't think on average that they were particularly well educated, even those who had gone to elite schools, nor were they cultured or interesting as compared to the French and Germans I had dealings with (not always the nicest people either, but often very interesting and surprising for a wide range of cultural enthusiasm and knowledge).

Americans are much nicer (at least until you find out their politics). Even the religious ones, as gullible as retarded cattle, are often decent and generous people. Many are very dumb but there are surprises in that regard. In America one is often surprised at how many smart, interesting people one meets, in England, at how many dolts.

by Anonymousreply 1803/26/2013

[quote]Many are very dumb but there are surprises in that regard. In America one is often surprised at how many smart, interesting people one meets, in England, at how many dolts.

Yes, but that accent makes even the dolts sound intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 1903/26/2013

Depends R19. I don't think anyone who says "nuffink" for "nothing" sounds intelligent, accent or not.

by Anonymousreply 2003/26/2013

If the Brits would take back Piers Morgan and Andrew Sullivan, everything would be okay. We owe them thanks for taking back Posh Spice.

by Anonymousreply 2103/26/2013

UGH

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

[quote]"they can't get over the fact that the sun set on their little empire a fucking century ago...."

And a lot of Americans are having a hard time recognizing and adjusting to the fact that this is happening to us right now.

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

[quote]Americans are much nicer

Americans are nicer in that they make fast friends, but it's often very superficial.

When I was younger, I could never understand how complete strangers told me so many very personal things about themselves, the minute I met them and then blew me out just as quickly.

They're very impressed with superficial things like money and good looks.

At the same time, I agree with a lot of what R18 said about London.

& it's true, these days England's obsessed with America. We hear about America all the time and import whatever we can from there and very little from our European neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 2503/26/2013

English newspapers cover US news like it was their own country (almost).

US papers don't cover anything in England. Ever. Except the royals.

by Anonymousreply 2603/26/2013

[quote]& it's true, these days England's obsessed with America. We hear about America all the time and import whatever we can from there and very little from our European neighbors.

Thank you for being honest about that.

Speaking of Europe, another thing that I find laughable is how British people like to pretend they're not part of Europe, as if they're better or something. As an American, I've never understood that mindset of some Brits. It's like what continent do you think you're part of then?

by Anonymousreply 2703/26/2013

R24

Yeah, you might have a point there.

I always think the relationship between Brits and Americans is like in the movie In The Loop.

by Anonymousreply 2803/26/2013

R26 Exactly. You can go on a British news site, and 80% of the stories are about stuff in America. It's weird how obsessed they are with the US.

And you're right - the only British stuff our media reports on is the royals (which gets tiresome).

by Anonymousreply 2903/26/2013

Good point, R27. The Brits are always hauling their pasty asses to Spain and France, yet they act like they're not part of Europe. Their triple-dip (soon to be quadruple) recession seems to indicate the Brits are on equal footing with their Spanish, Greek, and other broke ass cousins.

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013

[quote] It's like what continent do you think you're part of then?

None. We're an island.

Until about twenty years ago you had to fly or sail to get to another country in continental Europe. You couldn't just walk over the border. You still can't.

by Anonymousreply 3103/26/2013

Hawaii is not part of North America.

by Anonymousreply 3303/26/2013

Comparing Hawaii & Puerto Rico to Britain just shows how stupid you are.

Come back when you think of something intelligent to say or when you've maybe traveled a little more. You stupid hick.

by Anonymousreply 3403/26/2013

Oh, so Japan isn't really part of Asia because it's an island? That makes (no) sense.

by Anonymousreply 3503/26/2013

I am sure neither Italy, Spain, Germany, France or any other European country is envious about anything the Brits think they have over the rest of Europe.

But this "feud" is quite often enforced by their stupid government and the actual people of those countries might actually get along. Lots of travelling, cross employing, cross dating going on in Europe. Which is a good thing!

by Anonymousreply 3603/26/2013

The British are quite aware of being European. It's just that it chafes their arses so.

by Anonymousreply 3703/26/2013

R32 says that Hawaii sees itself as part of North America and proves how bad the American educational system is, how stupid he is, and how little he understands the definition of "delusional" even as he embodies it.

OP, Americans do not have a beef with the British. They do not know what "British" means, of course, but generally Americans romanticize the UK as a theme park of various time periods coexisting simultaneously, and believe every stereotype from films as fact.

As far as what is said here on the subject, I remind you that this is the place where Jesus and Muhammad are routinely told to fuck each other, where dying children are ridiculed for their taste in hospital attire, where people are hurled to die in grease fires for calling Madonna passe, and most of the posters live in their mothers' basements.

Try to keep that upper lip stiff, dear, unless your vindaloo has withered it.

by Anonymousreply 3803/26/2013

[quote]They seem to have adopted a lot of wigger culture, which is a shame.

I've noticed that. Their so-called "chavs" are really American wiggas with a British accent. But even to a lesser extreme, they've borrowed from hip-hop. Take these hotties, for example. If it wasn't for the accent, they could be American frats:

by Anonymousreply 3903/26/2013

Bang on R38.

by Anonymousreply 4003/26/2013

[quote]Speaking of Europe, another thing that I find laughable is how British people like to pretend they're not part of Europe, as if they're better or something.

The British realize the inherent importance of their nearest neighbors, although they also realize their culture and ideals have arguably been proven to be better than those of continental Europe. The social relationship with the U.S. is understandably closer than that with the rest of Europe. What do they have in common with France, Spain, or Germany, other than old wars? It's no different than the U.S. being closer to the U.K. and Canada than Mexico or Haiti. Language and culture are a lot more important than geography.

by Anonymousreply 4103/26/2013

R41

Another delusional, drunken Brit!

by Anonymousreply 4203/26/2013

[quote]...where dying children are ridiculed for their taste in hospital attire...

I missed that one. Sounds hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 4303/26/2013

I'm jealous of their gardens. But then, they have the climate for that.

by Anonymousreply 4403/26/2013

Sorry chaps; the fact that there is a new one of these threads composed of Yanks bitching about Britain every couple of days rather gives the game away. That is not the behaviour of a nation comfortable in its superiority or genuine in its disdain. You are actually obsessing about Britain. And why is that? Could it be that you recognise that American 'culture' is just a teeny bit tacky and derivative; that the American dream is at bottom just empty materialism? That you long for the substance, taste and sense of place which only comes from a long history? I rather think you do.

by Anonymousreply 4503/26/2013

What would the Brits have to say about American beef curtains?

by Anonymousreply 4603/26/2013

The guys in R39's clip are middle-class (at least) kids using ghetto-speak for self-conscious fun: the hottie is called on it in the out-takes. Chavs they ain't. Way too healthy.

by Anonymousreply 4703/26/2013

r45 has it correct. And I'm still jealous of the gardens. We don't have the climate for them, in most of the USA.

by Anonymousreply 4803/26/2013

I think Americans have become gradually fatigued by the huge, omnipresence of Brits in everyday American society and the fact that we're not as universally daft and ignorant of the opinions of us in the U.K. as Brits would like to think.

We hear and see the constant snark coming from our cousins and while I will always feel a special kinship with the British, I'm sick of them for lots of reasons, one being their subtle anti-American xenophobia and the fact so many of them are just nasty people when they're here.

by Anonymousreply 4903/26/2013

Well, at least it's easy to tell where Great Britain ends and France begins... the U.S. and Mexico not so much nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 5003/26/2013

What I get sick of how these so many of these trashy Brits move to America and get even get citizenship, yet they will still harp on and on about how great the UK is. If it's so great, go the fuck back.

I even read on one site the other day where some nasty Brits who had moved to the US and got citizenship said that in sports, they will always support British teams before American ones. Now how the fuck are you going to voluntarily move to another country and get citizenship there, but still want to be patriotic for your home country?

by Anonymousreply 5103/26/2013

yes, R51 because with all those US v UK matches, one does grow weary of all the times the US loses in Cricket.

by Anonymousreply 5203/26/2013

Just one thing, most of the UK news sites, though ostensibly British, primarily are actually aimed at a US audience. For example the Daily Mail site, most of their hits are from the US. They changed their focus to US news and gossip stories a couple of years ago for that very reason. Which is ludicrous - some of the slebs they cover are on reality shows that don't even air in the UK. But the Mail don't care about anything but hits - they'd start publishing the entire thing in Mandarin if it got them more hits.

by Anonymousreply 5303/26/2013

It's Niall Ferguson we need to send back. His shtick where he tries to make Americans into racist imperialists just like the Brits once were has been all too successful with the vain, idiot halfwits in the American think tanks.

by Anonymousreply 5403/26/2013

The Pax Americana Ferguson wants is dangerous deluded nonsense. He is single handledly propping up our military criminal class.

by Anonymousreply 5503/26/2013

I used to be acquainted with quite a few Brit ex-pats through work. They were nice guys but one thing I did notice was they all had drinking problems. They'd go to the pub on a Saturday morning to watch soccer and stay all day getting drunk off their ass. They wouldn't go home til the place closed. None of them ever entertained in their homes, always at the pub. They all smoked like chimneys. Some, not all, were incredibly racist and one time at an Indian restaurant I was so embarrassed I felt like crawling under the table. Two of the guys were patronizing and treating the Indian waiter, who spoke perfectly good English, as if he were some lackey serving their "sahib" in the British colonial days. I left the guy a good tip and smiled apologetically when we left. Many of the straight ones had a fetish for Asian and black women and I do mean fetish.

I realize that not all of the are like this though. Maybe it was that specific industry.

by Anonymousreply 5603/26/2013

OP smells like Umpy, or any one of a number of trolls who are posting stupid questions like "why would anyone keep fish as pets?"

by Anonymousreply 5703/26/2013

Is the preoccupation with things American just in London, or all over England or the UK? Why would people with a serviceable native culture need to model one so fucked up?

by Anonymousreply 5803/26/2013

[quote]English newspapers cover US news like it was their own country (almost).

They often do a better job with US news than our own media.

I'd rather get news about our politics from BBC than Fox.

by Anonymousreply 5903/26/2013

Immigrants pretty much always support the sports team from their original country.

I bet Indians in the US support India at cricket, for example. The same thing happens in the UK with people of Indian or Pakistani origin. It happens with the Irish too. Or even those of Italian descendent (my old boss is 4th generation British but still supports Italy at football and rugby). It's normal.

I know someone who has take British citizenship and given up her US citizenship. But she still supports the US at stuff like the Olympics and the Ryder cup - and why shouldn't she? You don't stop being who you are or were - you just add to it - and the sports team stuff is pretty tribal and more a connection to family than anything else.

Moving to another country can be for all kind of reasons. My American friend moved for work and then settled down and has no intention of moving back. Not because she hates the US at all but that Britain is where her life and family are. If it hadn't been for the US tax system and its odd way of treating those who live abroad, she would have remained a dual citizen.

by Anonymousreply 6003/26/2013

[quote]For example the Daily Mail site, most of their hits are from the US. They changed their focus to US news and gossip stories a couple of years ago for that very reason. Which is ludicrous - some of the slebs they cover are on reality shows that don't even air in the UK

I've noticed this (about the American slebs) and wondered why. This now makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 6103/26/2013

[quote] And I'm still jealous of the gardens. We don't have the climate for them, in most of the USA.

I'll swap you my English garden, for a swimming pool and a short ride to a warm beach any day of the week...probably.

by Anonymousreply 6203/26/2013

r62, okay, it's a deal! Living on the beach isn't all it's cracked up to be. The salt air ruins everything, and it gets very boring after awhile, esp. in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 6303/26/2013

In my job I travel between the two countries several times a month. I am American but spend a lot of time in the UK. I love the people in both the US and UK. We are all very much alike. That's not a recent development. I love my British brothers and sisters and they love me too. I have made great friends and cherish them all. In my dealings, I have never heard Brits slander Americans, or vice-versa. That usually only happens on anonymous threads, and who knows who's actually doing the bashing? Trolls, you know.

by Anonymousreply 6403/26/2013

[quote]That usually only happens on anonymous threads, and who knows who's actually doing the bashing? Trolls, you know.

There's definitely one very active anti-Brit troll on DL. I caught him out recently. Trolling all over several threads. He's probably on here too.

Peculiar the way some people find their pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 6503/26/2013

I want to know this: What is a bacon botty? Do the English look down on the Welsh, and if so, why?

Do they still cook traditional English foods such as steak and kidney pie and all that? I read somewhere that the most popular dish in the UK is now Chicken Masala? Any Brits care to comment?

Oh, and is it England, the UK or Britian?

by Anonymousreply 6603/26/2013

British people who actually live in the UK are cool...the British people who come to the U.S. and force themselves on our local population tend to have weird ego issues.

by Anonymousreply 6703/26/2013

It's the same in Canada, R67.

by Anonymousreply 6803/26/2013

The Brits all want to be American. They hate their own country. Self-loathing is never pretty.

by Anonymousreply 6903/26/2013

I don't think they all want to be American.

by Anonymousreply 7003/26/2013

Are the English really two-faced?

by Anonymousreply 7103/26/2013

Well there's the Revolutionary war business but I think Irish Americans have more than a few problems with them.

by Anonymousreply 7203/26/2013

Today,only when James Bond beds an American girl,or Hugh Jackman.

by Anonymousreply 7303/26/2013

R66 a bacon botty sounds like the painful insertion of porcine products into the arse. A bacon butty, however, is a bacon sandwich. People still eat steak pies, pork pies, roast dinners and all the traditional stuff - why wouldn't they? Do Americans no longer eat traditional American foods? Is that a thing now?

Now to very basic matters. The British Isles are mainland Britain, Ireland (both north and south) and all the hundreds of surrounding islands, including the Inner and Outer Hebrides, the Orkneys, the Western Isles, the Shetland Islands, the Isle of Wight etc. Great Britain is the landmass that is the largest island. The United Kingdom is Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. England is one country within the 4 countries that make up the United Kingdom.

So the British Isles and Great Britain are geographical terms, the United Kingdom is a socio-political term.

I don't know anyone who disparages the Welsh except piss poor TV comedians who don't have any decent material.

by Anonymousreply 7403/26/2013

I'm sure that the British media causes a good part of any trouble in the U.K. - U.S. relationship. You read something in a British newspaper article, like maybe a claim that some event that wasn't even covered in American national news has caused massive soul-searching across the U.S., and you wonder, do the British readers realize their journalists are just making shit up to be stereotypically dramatic. ("Extraordinary!!")

by Anonymousreply 7503/26/2013

Oh yea another anti British thread Great I was wondering when the next lets whinge about Poms would be.Tolerance hasn't been one of Datalounge's strong points.

You do get that from an outsiders point of view we are all the same.Speak the same language,get each other,will fight in the same stupid wars etc.

Stop carping on about mean spirited English people cause I think 1 million people dying from gun shot wounds in the US since 1968 shows a certain level of meanness !

by Anonymousreply 7603/26/2013

My grandmother was English. She moved to America before WWII and was a big fan of this country. She always wore an American Flag pin on her coat and wouldn't listen to anyone question her conservative politics. In England, she was a farmer's daughter, but here she mixed with high society. I have always and will always love England. Along with Paris, London is my favorite getaway city. I love the drive down the Cornish coast to Penzance and Land's End. Reminds me of the trip from SF to LA. The UK is like the US on a smaller scale.

by Anonymousreply 7703/26/2013

Thanks for the reply, r74. The American diet has changed greatly over the past few decades. For the most part, no, our family does not eat what might be called traditional American foods. In fact, since the USA is such a melting pot of different cultures, it is now difficult to say just what the traditional American diet consists of. For example, tonight we had burritos, Mexican rice, refried beans and chili con queso. We purchase tofu and Asian soy products and have Asian on a regular basis. Italian fare that in my mother's day that was looked upon as somewhat exotic is today very common standard fare. You get the picture. I look at recipe books from before WW2. They look so grim, it all looks so stodgy and boring. No, we (at least not my family or those we know) don't eat like that, for the most part, fast food aside.

by Anonymousreply 7803/26/2013

R78, I've been living in the US for a few years now. I consider American food to be a mixture of the 'traditional' stuff (like at a Thanksgiving meal) and Mexican, Italian and even a bit of Japanese (e.g. California rolls). When I think of American food, THAT is what comes to mind.

When I think of British food, I think of traditional staples like sausages, fish and chips, pies, roasts, puddings, bit also a lot of Indian influence (curries, a little bit of spice on a regular dish). So when you talk about English/British food, that would be my definition.

by Anonymousreply 7903/26/2013

r79, I would have to agree. One thing is for certain, the American diet sure isn't anything like what it would have been, say, in the '40s or '50s.

I do enjoy a hamburger, hotdog or a casserole sometimes, but that type of fare is no longer the typical American diet. Even for a fast lunch, I'd rather eat Chinese take-out.

by Anonymousreply 8003/27/2013

Thanks for the compliment (earlier in this thread), I don't think there's any real beef, myself. Just a bit of good-natured banter. You know, such as when we point out how words like 'eggplant' are ridiculous, and aubergine makes more sense since they are nothing like eggs, and so on; and in return you say we all have 'jacked teeth' and are snobs.

One thing is true however, we seem to delight in taking the worst of your culture and ignoring the better things: Krispy Kreme but no Dunkin' Donuts, leaps instantly to mind on that score. And why can't we have almond M&Ms? But now you can buy *spits* Reese's peanut butter nightmares.

From my point of view, given our obvious insignificance in the world outside of The City (it's actually a separate legal state, you know, although they keep this quiet), we should really be taking a few more leaves out of pages of the 'Continentals', as it were. When we import American things they don't work because of our famously horrible customer service, and the like.

by Anonymousreply 8103/28/2013

[quote]When we import American things

Tesco's West Kensington, London W14 @ link

We did a thread on this.

by Anonymousreply 8203/28/2013

R82, yes I remember. From what the Americans were saying on that thread it sounds like my bad choice imports theory is correct.

by Anonymousreply 8303/28/2013

Americans are very insecure - they know their crime-ridden, mediocre country is the laughingstock of the entire planet so they lash out constantly at others who live elsewhere. Their inferiority complex is deep-seated and grows ever more vicious and pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 8403/28/2013

Not really R84. Just a few losers on both sides of the pond. I like foreign folks just fine. I admit that some like the Dutch are kind of imperious and seem bitchy at first but I get used to them too.

by Anonymousreply 8503/28/2013

There was one that came between the French people and the British people.

Beef Wellington!

by Anonymousreply 8603/28/2013

The Dutch think they speak American English better than Americans.

by Anonymousreply 8703/28/2013

RE: eggplants. As a matter of fact, they do indeed resemble eggs, at least years ago. We are more famliar with the dark purple (aubergine) colored ones. Originally, eggplants were smaller in size, egg-shaped and come in the color white. That is why they were called eggplants.

by Anonymousreply 8803/28/2013

Traditional southern foods.

by Anonymousreply 8903/31/2013

An island mentality is very important to the British as it has saved us many times. In world war 2 the Germans had a big gun that did nothing but fire shells at my home town. You can see the buildings in France without binoculars, but they didn't manage to cross the channel. I grew up playing on the ruins of nearly 2000 years of wars with Europe. We still can't stand the French and the feeling is mutual, but we are ok with the rest of Europe now.

by Anonymousreply 9003/31/2013

Until the end of this year, when Romania and Bulgaria basically get their marching mobility right into UK gardens. Scary, scary stuff. We bitch and moan about our own brand of absurdity but we don't have any level of ridiculousness on par with the EU Human Rights Council telling the US who were HAVE to provide for and that deporting terrorists back to Yemen or Pakistan infringes on their human rights.

God Save the Queen (for real.)

by Anonymousreply 9104/01/2013

My grandfather was Dutch and he was creepy. One of my best friend's husbands is Dutch and he's creepy too. What is it with these Dutch people? tsk tsk.

by Anonymousreply 9204/01/2013

What's the beef between the British and the French? Does it go back to the Hundred Years' War, or is it something more recent?

by Anonymousreply 9304/01/2013

The British like to foist themselves on the entire world, America. You'll find expat enclaves in Spain, France, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Cypress, South Africa, Kenya, India, Thailand ... you name it. What do all these places have in common? Better weather.

It isn't a big deal when they migrate to Australia though, because there they meld easily with the population, despite a little good-natured teasing, they're basically the same people.

by Anonymousreply 9404/01/2013

If only we were that smart, R84. Americans are ignorant and arrogant, and they have no clue that anyone has it better. They think of Europe as a theme park, and the vast majority would have trouble naming 5 European countries.

by Anonymousreply 9504/01/2013

r93 there have been a cadre of uncivilized, brutish Englishmen that the French have been talking about for 500 years.

Of course, the Dutch have the same sentiment about the French.

by Anonymousreply 9604/02/2013

The problem is that there is no beef only that there are jealous people. Those people are often British - because modern Britain is impoverished, disadvantaged and dirty. There's a reason why America (and Canada and Australia) exists - people couldn't wait to leave England. Even today you are considered lucky in Britain if you have emigrated to one of these countries. Unless you are the the very top, it's not a nice place to live at all. People are snobby, and hate anything better than them eg American culture which is inclusive.

by Anonymousreply 9704/02/2013

R97. You're an idiot. I really can't think of anything about your statement that bears any resemblance to reality.

by Anonymousreply 9804/02/2013

r84 Bullshit, we really believe we are the best!!!

by Anonymousreply 10004/10/2013

R94 -- I cannot BELIEVE you asserted that the England and Australians are "basically the same people"!

by Anonymousreply 10104/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.