Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did anyone watch O's Master Class with Stevie Nicks?

Thoughts? For once I thought she seemed pretty grounded and lucid. It was still "me me me my hair my dresses my boots" but she seemed genuinely moved talking about the death of her best friend in the early 80's.

by Anonymousreply 4203/27/2013

I wanted to be her in the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 103/25/2013

Did you stare into the camera a flip your skirt around, R1?

by Anonymousreply 203/25/2013

R2 LOL! No, but I heard when she shot that video she thought she looked fat so she had them re-shoot it at great expense.

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2013

Stand Back video, yes. She doesn't mention that in the special but apparently it was a big chunk of change. Money was no object apparently although I bet she wishes now she didn't spend as much then. It's not like her new music sells huge numbers now. I've seen the original, she looks fine. I think the problem was the video was unconvincingly set in the Civil War era, just like Culture Club's Karma Chameleon video. In both cases, the synthy pop seems out of context with the tailcoats and velvet dresses. The final Stand Back video released seems more a product of its time. A little Flash-dancey, but it reads 1983 and doesn't make you wonder why they chose the theme that they did.

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013

Casting long medieval shadows into the night...

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2013

Stevie's videos gave me asthma.

by Anonymousreply 603/25/2013

I love stevie

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2013

"Landslide" is one of my favorite songs, although I prefer the Dixie Chicks' version. Of course, if you're a real masochist, you could listen to GOOP's version from "Glee."

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

No, didn't watch. I refuse to watch anything with Doperah.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

In the interview, Stevie seemed like a strong, direct woman. Self-absorbed? Yes. But, I enjoyed her no-bullshit recollections of her past.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

[quote]"Landslide" is one of my favorite songs, although I prefer the Dixie Chicks' version

It's far from one of Stevie's best songs, but the Dixie Chicks butchered it. It's like they didn't listen to the lyrics and completely missed the point of the song. But it made Stevie a ton of money when they covered it, so at least there's that.

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

R11 What can I say? I'm a sucker for harmonies.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

I saw it and liked it, although I'm not sure I learned anything more about Stevie than she's talked about in recent interviews.

But I have a question about the show. This was the first time I've seen one of Oprah's Master Class hours. Are they always done in that same format?

Oprah didn't do the interview and it was just Stevie talking to the camera, presumable to questions posed by an unseen production person. The Big O just appeared briefly after some of the commercial breaks to narrate a little.

It was unexpected, but I was actually happy to not have to listen to Oprah talk much.

by Anonymousreply 1303/26/2013

I noticed that Oprah said that Stevie was 62, but I looked and she is really 64!

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2013

Stevie looks like a goat

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

r4 and r11 Smashing Pumpkins does it too. I really dig their version. Wasn't her dad pretty wealthy? I thought he was some hot shot or something.

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2013

[quote]Money was no object apparently although I bet she wishes now she didn't spend as much then. It's not like her new music sells huge numbers now

It's no object now. "Rumours" alone made Stevie wealthy forever, never mind anything else she did in her career.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

Nothing can make me watch and support that freak Oprah Winfrey. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1803/26/2013

R16, Stevie's father Jess Nicks was president of the huge Armour-Dial conglomeration and vice-president of Greyhound, among other things.

Even if she had never been an entertainer, Stevie would have had plenty of money. She grew up in Atherton, on the Peninsula south of San Francisco, one of the wealthiest enclaves in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 1903/26/2013

[quote]It was still "me me me my hair my dresses my boots"

Wasn't that shocking? I can't believe someone would be so shameless on an Oprah produced show where celebrities talk directly to the camera about their lives. It was disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 2003/26/2013

[quote]"Landslide" is one of my favorite songs, although I prefer the Dixie Chicks' version.

Sacrilege! Honestly, I'm just not a fan of Natalie Maine's voice.

by Anonymousreply 2103/26/2013

The Dixie Chicks lack any real sound of vulnerability. They make Landslide sound like a casual blowoff a la Taylor Swift.

No. No no no.

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

Agree, except for the Bush-bashing, the Dixie Chicks sucked ass. So did the Judds, crappy soulless singing and songs.

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

I think Oprah didn't actually interact with Stevie because O doesn't have any major connection to her. If it were Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Chris Rock or Tyler Perry she would have been on camera with them, hootin' and hollerin', whooping it up.

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

What's with the name "master class"? Seems very elitist.

by Anonymousreply 2503/26/2013

What about us r24?

by Anonymousreply 2603/26/2013

she said that mick fleetwood wanted them both immediately, but i'm pretty sure the fact is: he wanted lindsay only, but buckingham said he would only join the band if they took stevie too. pretty shady to claim otherwise, and i love her.

by Anonymousreply 2703/26/2013

Well, he was looking for a guitarist, not a singer, so he probably asked for Lindsey right away and immediately agreed to the plus one. So it's essentially the same thing. And I don't know that I would necessarily trust Lindsey's assertion that he was the main draw, since his ego is formidable enough to basically make that sort of fudging almost instinctive with him.

by Anonymousreply 2803/26/2013

I love this woman, and I'm not a fan of her music.

But she's genuine, heartfelt, and generous. She may have come from wealth but she cool, and remember, rich in Arizona is different. It's more earthy.

Thank God I didn't like cocaine. It was everywhere. I don't blame anyone who took it--being that I wasn't a performer but merely in the backround, so I didn't need the boost of self-confidence.

But in the seventies cocaine was more expensive than gold, per ounce. I found it shameful as well, like Stevie said, that it could have fed whole families or made a real difference for a charity as a donation.

When Stevie said it changes people she's not lying. Cocaine addicts are the biggest assholes one earth. Well, they were, now it's meth users!

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013

She's risking overexposure the same way Cyndi Lauper is by appearing on television too much and writing too much and talking too much. Makes one long for the elusive Christine McVie, in fact, I think as a tribute, Fleetwood Mac should unearth a few of Christine's songs for their new tour.

by Anonymousreply 3103/26/2013

[quote]And I don't know that I would necessarily trust Lindsey's assertion that he was the main draw

You moron, SHE has even said in the past that they wanted Lindsey, not her, and that he'd told Mick they were a package deal.

by Anonymousreply 3203/26/2013

R21 and R22, I don't get you guys, nobody is gonna sing "Landslide" like Stevie did, however I disagree that the DC slaughtered that song as you two imply.

THe DC sound nothing like Taylor Swift, I thinnk it's disrespectful to the chicks and country music to compare fucking trash TS to the DC

by Anonymousreply 3303/26/2013

I agree with R22 - Stevie's songs don't cover well because she has such a unique way of singing them. When it's someone else, the songs sound flat and impersonal, like the Corrs covering Dreams

by Anonymousreply 3403/26/2013

Vibrato. Lots and lots of vibrato.

by Anonymousreply 3503/26/2013

I like her but sometimes I think she sounds like a frog holding their nose while singing.

by Anonymousreply 3603/26/2013

Shut up, r32. Whether she said so or not, your need to call someone a moron makes anything you have to say irrelevant. Go fuck yourself back to whatever sad rock you crawled out from under.

by Anonymousreply 3703/27/2013

Isn't anyone tired of her? I am, I think Christine McVie should try a comeback, of course, she doesn't really want to, but...I think the reason she's not on the current tour is because of Stevie needing and getting all the attention!

by Anonymousreply 3803/27/2013

Stevie must really love to tour, first she had a solo tour, then a tour with Rod Stewart, then a Fleetwood Mac tour....

by Anonymousreply 3903/27/2013

I am a huge fan of hers, but she sounds terrible now. She really needs to rest on her laurels and retire like Christine.

Seriously, she sounds like a goat now. Twirling around in a shawl and rhinestone fingerless gloves at 64 is also a tad ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4003/27/2013

She's done too many t.v. shows, AI, Oprah, DWTS!

by Anonymousreply 4103/27/2013

r37 "Shut up"? DL is for adults, dear, not 10 year old little girls such as yourself. Only someone who with the thinnest of skins, EMBARRASSED about being called out on one of her proclamations being wrong would allege that being called a moron for it is akin to hate speech and declare that the person who was CORRECT is irrelevant.

Good luck with your little temper tantrums and delicate ego in the rest of your life. Better run on along back to ONTD.

by Anonymousreply 4203/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.