Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA) latest senator to come out in support of same-sex marriage

March 25, 2013

Warner Says He Supports Gay Marriage

Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA) told Time that he supports same-sex marriage.

Said Warner: "I support marriage equality because it is the fair and right thing to do. Like many Virginians and Americans, my views on gay marriage have evolved, and this is the inevitable extension of my efforts to promote equality and opportunity for everyone."

Warner is up for re-election in 2014.

by Anonymousreply 3003/27/2013

Good for him. It's about time. There shouldn't be one politician against human equality, especially Democratic.

by Anonymousreply 103/25/2013

Is he related to former Virginia Senator JOHN Warner, who was briefly married to Elizabeth Taylor?

If so, it's easy to see why he supports the cause...

by Anonymousreply 203/25/2013

Given that most of Virginia is red-neck Republican territory, this is actually a courageous stand on Warner's behalf with his re-election coming up next year.

And no, he is not related to former Republican Senator John Warner, though he did run against him about 10 years ago. His bumper stickers read "MARKNOTJOHN".

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2013

[quote]Given that most of Virginia is red-neck Republican territory

Really?

We have 2 Deocratic Senators, we went for Obama twice and Terry McAuliffe looks to be our next Governor.

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013

That was my first thought, R2, but they're not according to Wiki. He was actually pretty successful when he ran against incumbent John Warner, coming within 120K votes.

It's bold for a freshman senator but he was a hugely popular governor. He knows when to spend his political capital. Someone on the Hilary Clinton thread predicted that more key Dems would come out in support in the days leading up to the hearings.

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2013

No kin to John Warner. In 1996, he ran against him, making it a Warner v. Warner senate race.

by Anonymousreply 603/25/2013

I was curious about that, R2, so I looked it up. No relation, but here's an interesting story:

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2013

He was my 2016 contender, apart from Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

This could cost him re-election next year. Not a smart move in Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

When was the last time you were in Virginia R3? Granted, it's like that west of Charlottesville, but the rest of Virginia is pretty moderate and hardly redneck.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

So... are all these endorsements supposed to influence the SPOTUS or something?

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

Actually R10, anything south of Northern Virginia can be very redneck.

Most of those counties are and have always been Republican.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

No Maryland. I live here, I know what I'm talking about. No Virginia is not a blue state and probably will never be, in spite of having two democratic senators and voting for Obama twice. But it's not just a bunch of rednecks south of the Rappahannock.

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

"Most" in terms of sheer square mileage I'll give you, R3, but the population density in VA drops pretty extremely west of the Fall Line, so even though most of the map looks red, the places where people actually live have been swinging blue for a while.

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2013

R4 Take a good look at your current governor and AG, then get back to us.

by Anonymousreply 1503/25/2013

McDonnell ran as a moderate. He kept his more 'despicable' traits to himself. He also ran against a very weak democrat.

Cuccinelli also ran against a weak democrat, but also he went through an entire image makeover during the last campaign. They downplayed his crazy nutjob politics and played up the family man angle and voters bought it.

by Anonymousreply 1603/25/2013

I think people mistake it for West Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 1703/25/2013

Senator McCaskill has chimed in support changing her earlier opinion. It is starting to feel like the closing scene from Revenge of the Nerds. Skip to 4:00 minutes in...

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2013

Now that will hurt Claire McCaskil in Missouri.

by Anonymousreply 1903/25/2013

Don't mistake this support for principle. These Democrats want to keep the campaign donations flowing from the rich gays.

by Anonymousreply 2003/25/2013

Yes, rich gays support candidates that adhere to good policies, so its a win-win.

by Anonymousreply 2103/25/2013

I live in Virginia and you all can cram it with this "what a brave move" bullshit. We're a purple state and turning bluer each year (especially now that the Republicans are on the cusp of nominating an unelectable freeptard as their candidate for governor).

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

How do these stupid bits even come close to being new position?

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

Sen. Mark Begich of Alaska has now become the latest senator to come out in support of same-sex marriage.

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

Yes! As a (former) Alaskan, this is great news.

by Anonymousreply 2503/26/2013

Great News!

And you know it's pretty much over when the opponents' latest arguments against SSM basically boil down to "The Supreme Court should go slow...!"

by Anonymousreply 2603/26/2013

Well they don't have long to do it because by 2014, anyone who is anti-gay marriage will look downright prehistoric.

Watch for falling republicans.

by Anonymousreply 2703/26/2013

falling

by Anonymousreply 2803/26/2013

[quote]Now that will hurt Claire McCaskil in Missouri.

McCaskill just got re-elected in November. She's not up again until 2018. By that point I don't think there'll be much opposition to gay marriage in Missouri.

by Anonymousreply 2903/27/2013

[quote]This could cost him re-election next year. Not a smart move in Virginia.

Mark Warner could become a member of the Taliban and still win re-election.

by Anonymousreply 3003/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.