Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will Smith flaunts his narcissism...again

When Quentin Tarantino’s western revenge-fantasy Django Unchained was first announced, casting rumors pegged Will Smith as the titular slave-turned-vigilante. But Smith, who teams with his son Jaden in this summer’s sci-fi epic After Earth, tells EW that he turned down the part because his character would’ve been second fiddle to the bounty hunter (played by Christoph Waltz) who teaches Django his trade . “Django wasn’t the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character was the lead!” says the Men in Black star, whose departure opened the door for Jamie Foxx to play the role.

Smith says that before he left the project, he even pleaded with Tarantino to let Django have a more central role in the story. “I was like, ‘No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!’” (Ironically, Waltz was considered a supporting actor during his Oscar-winning award season, while Jamie Foxx was promoted as the movie’s lead.)

But no hard feelings: Smith was a big fan of the final product. “I thought it was brilliant,” he says. “Just not for me.”

by Anonymousreply 6703/26/2013

Translation: Tarantino said No

by Anonymousreply 103/25/2013

[quote]I need to be the lead

And that is why Will Smith is a Movie Star and not an Actor.

by Anonymousreply 203/25/2013

R2 Tell that to his two oscar nominations.

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2013

Oh he's an actor, R3. Just not a very good one. Bad actors get oscar nominations too. And sometimes win. Shocking, I know.

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013

He's an okay dramatic actor--not a great one. He's an excellent comic leading man and he's very physically attractive. That's enough.

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2013

It's no wonder that he and Tammy are supposedly besties. They both have overactive egos. I can just hear Tammy saying the same thing. "I need to be the lead because I have superhuman powers and only I can kill the bad guy."

by Anonymousreply 603/25/2013

It would only work if the title were changed to "Django Beaten Down"

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2013

It all comes down to money--Tarantino movies doesn't make enough to justify Will's salary. The end.

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

He was right. Django was the second lead, as evidenced by the fact that Chrisoph waltz won an Oscar and Foxx wasn't even nominated.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

Being nominated for a supporting actor Oscar is in no way evidence that the nominated role was the lead, R9. What ridiculous logic.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

I can't stand this asshole. Heaven forbid his attention-seeking ass took a supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

I would say Leo is ahead of him as far as A-list status is concerned and he was fine with a supporting role.

Will Smith would rather make junk movies with his kid.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

[quote]I can't stand this asshole.

Smith or Tampontino?

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

Ugh, hell no to Will Smith, Jaden Smith, and CO$. Thank God he did not ruin D'Jango with his D'ego.

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2013

So, is Will Smith still doing his homophobic thang?

by Anonymousreply 1503/25/2013

He seems like a pretty nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 1603/25/2013

what a little, diva, demanding, pussy.ego maniac.

by Anonymousreply 1703/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2013

R13 Smith.

by Anonymousreply 1903/25/2013

I can't fault him. Against all odds Will Smith has tremendous box office clout. He couldnt do a silly, nauseatingly violent movie like "Django." Jamie Foxx has an Oscar but no audience, his films don't make money ("Django", excepted). He had nothing to lose by taking a supporting role in an R-rated controversial movie.

At 20mil+ per picture, Will is highest paid black actor in Hollywood history. He knows what he's doing.

by Anonymousreply 2003/25/2013

Fuck Will Smith up his racist ass.

by Anonymousreply 2103/25/2013

R20 Let me guess - you're black? If so, that would explain why you feel you must praise him.

by Anonymousreply 2203/25/2013

Why he ears so small?

by Anonymousreply 2303/25/2013

Yeah. He knows what he's doing. Making garbage and preaching CO$.

by Anonymousreply 2403/25/2013

I hope he was joking.

by Anonymousreply 2503/25/2013

He's an OK actor, quite hot, a strong black male who plays tough guy with emotions. Hardly working it against the odds, R-tard.

by Anonymousreply 2603/25/2013

he wouldn't kiss a man onscreen either.

by Anonymousreply 2703/25/2013

he seems fake. His best role was Six Degrees, where he played a fake.

by Anonymousreply 2803/25/2013

And R22 will swear he's not racist.

by Anonymousreply 2903/25/2013

I lost any liking for him when I found out he was a scientologist and his constant foisting of his children on the public.

by Anonymousreply 3003/25/2013

he got me fired!

by Anonymousreply 3103/25/2013

I am a black guy who got ahead. You focus on my mediocre talent as if that is important.

by Anonymousreply 3203/25/2013

Will Smith is not such a hot actor, because he's always playing himself.

by Anonymousreply 3303/25/2013

Will, honey, you're getting a little long in the tooth.

by Anonymousreply 3403/25/2013

The only time I've ever liked him was on Fresh Prince. I've never liked any of his movies.

He should stick to television.

by Anonymousreply 3503/25/2013

You miserable racist bishes need to get off it and let it go. Will Smith is succesful you will deal.

by Anonymousreply 3603/25/2013

get off the alcohol, r36

by Anonymousreply 3703/25/2013

Google jaden smith kids choice awards 2013

Tons of pictures of him on the Red Carpet this weekend. Not one smile. The kid never smiles. I could project and say he's very unhappy boy but the kid just doesn't smile and that's ain't right.

by Anonymousreply 3803/26/2013

He's not a successful as he used to be , hon.

He's used to changing things in the scripts of films he's working on and Tarantino doesn't let anyone touch his scripts.

by Anonymousreply 3903/26/2013

R38 he doesn't smile because he's an arrogant little prick who think he's god's gift and it's not cool. I don't understand why he can't open his eyes. He has "French Stewart" syndrome. Neither Will, Jada or Willow has this problem so I don't know where it comes from.

Willow seems much sweeter even though her "singing" career is only due to Daddy. Hopefully she will grow into her ears and body.

by Anonymousreply 4003/26/2013

I dunno, Willow seems to be nicer than the brother.

by Anonymousreply 4103/26/2013

And god forbid he should do something adventurous like branching out and doing something different like a *gasp* ensemble cast movie R42. That's the mark of a true actor.

A real actor isn't afraid of being cast as an ugly villain or playing against type.

by Anonymousreply 4303/26/2013

R6? You've clearly never seen Magnolia or Tropic Thunder.

by Anonymousreply 4403/26/2013

Forgive me I did forget those two movies. But Tom still played himself in Magnolia. I really think that's what he's like. I think he did Tropic Thunder when he was getting a lot of bad press and he was hoping to counteract it by saying "see I can laugh at myself and play a goofball".

by Anonymousreply 4503/26/2013

It isn't so much that Will Smith turned it down because it wasn't the lead that makes him annoying. I understand what he means - Django did not carry the film. If you're going to hire Smith, hire him for what he does - comedy, drama or action, he CARRIES the film.

What's annoying is that he would tell Tarantino to rewrite his script. I don't think Tarantino does rewrites for anybody. My impression is that when Tarantino calls, you jump on board and commit to his vision. And let's be honest - Smith isn't a good enough actor to be in a Tarantino film.

by Anonymousreply 4603/26/2013

Wish he'd just die. DIE.

by Anonymousreply 4803/26/2013

Meryl Streep and Jessica Lange are known to be the greatest actors working today, and have taken supporting roles. What is Will Smith? The man needs to get over himself.

by Anonymousreply 5003/26/2013

True R50. Most real actors will read a script and want a role in something they think is interesting. Smith, though, is a raging narcissist and a non-actor.

by Anonymousreply 5103/26/2013

Down with this arrogant motherafucka!

by Anonymousreply 5203/26/2013

Django is the lead. He's in more scenes than Waltz, his name is in the title, and he's alive at the end.

by Anonymousreply 5303/26/2013

Will probably has an assistant whose job it is to review scripts and count how many lines and close ups he has.

Never liked him (and I'm black, R22). In his early action and comedy films he always made a point to include at least one homophobic 'joke'. His dramatic acting is heavy handed and one-dimensional. And don't get me started on his awful son. R40 is right. The kid's always been a little shit, even as a toddler. Anyone remmember how charming he was when he presented on the Oscars?

Will Smith reminds me of Mark Wahlberg. Limited talents who got lucky and became sanctimonious douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 5403/26/2013

Based on the trailer for that crappy sci-fi flick he did with his son, it does seem like he is playing second fiddle to Jaden.

by Anonymousreply 5503/26/2013

Thank, r54...well said!

by Anonymousreply 5603/26/2013

[quote]So you can't fault him for only wanting to play leading men, since that is what his career is based on.

Um, you could say the same thing for Leonardo DiCaprio, who genuinely played a supporting role in this same film.

by Anonymousreply 5703/26/2013

Or "Django Down Low', R7

by Anonymousreply 6003/26/2013

[quote]Um, you could say the same thing for Leonardo DiCaprio, who genuinely played a supporting role in this same film.

Let's be honest, DiCaprio was hoping this role could get him a supporting actor Oscar a la Waltz from Inglorious Bastards. He was terribly wrong of course.

by Anonymousreply 6103/26/2013

Scientologists are taught that they are Gods. This spills over into their professional lives, where they must only play God-like characters in movies.

by Anonymousreply 6203/26/2013

Even with all that, R61, Leo is an actor who takes risks. Will Smith is not an actor. He's a soulless brand.

by Anonymousreply 6303/26/2013

Will has taken plenty of risks, and succeeded. Seven Pounds, Pursuit of Happyness, Ali, Degrees of Seperation. The man can act.

DiCaprio owes his longevity to Scorcese. He was pretty much done before Marty picked him up.

by Anonymousreply 6403/26/2013

While you silly girls flap you gums (what you do best); Wil Smith is counting his money. Millions and millions and millions of dollars. Now what do you silly girls have besides diarrhea of the mouth/keyboard?

by Anonymousreply 6503/26/2013

He is saying (said) that Django should have bene the lead character and should've killed the bad guy— and he's right about that.

That said, he would have been horrible. I'm glad it was Jamie Foxx.

by Anonymousreply 6603/26/2013

Um, did you SEE the film? Django has a 10 minute scene where he kills ALL the bad guys. And rescues his wife. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 6703/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!