Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

So it's getting about that time when the baby boomers are going to die

What do you think the world would be like when a huge portion of the population dies? And baby boomers, how do you feel about all of this?

by Anonymousreply 4903/26/2013

Feels great, can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 103/25/2013

Don't confuse the world population with the population of the USA. And even here, baby boomers aged 65 or 70 have another 20 years of average life expectancy ahead.

by Anonymousreply 203/25/2013

I think about it all the time. I'm tired a lot now, and I often wonder if this will be the moment.

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2013

[quote]baby boomers aged 65 or 70 have another 20 years of average life expectancy ahead

aaaargghh!!!!

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013

They aren't going to die, thanks to modern medicine they're going to live to a demented old age, using up untold personal and public resources.

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2013

It will be great to lose a bunch of whiny self important complainers!

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2013

I'm too old to be a baby boomer. They didn't start until 1946. I was born the end of 41, so I'm just conditioning the soil so I will fit in.

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

I will miss the boomers and I will tell you why. I am an associate professor at Columbia which has put me on intimate terms with their pampered, self entitled and arrogant offspring. If this is our best and brightest there is no hope for this country.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

The sad thing, OP, is that I will live longer than you, since I'm not a meth addict who presents his asshole to anyone who comes near like you.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

I'm ready for all the people to go who came of age between Vietnam and Watergate, with all the hippie and drug culture. They were psychologically broken and cannot be cured.

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

MOtherfucker, I ain't NEVER gonna die! (tee-hee! trying for a Samuel Jackson-esque impression here)

I turn 60 next year and am in quite a bit of denial about it. But then I look at some women I know who are 60 - famous ones, that is, and around me in my small town, there are some sharp women in their 70's, and a couple in their 90s! So that gives me (some) hope.

I would rather end up in a wheelchair with my brain working than in good physical shape and demented.

I SAY that now...check with me later, I suppose...

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

R9 cannot write well. He lies when he says he is a professor at Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

Make a "60 Things I Want To Do Before I Turn 60" list and go out and do them, R12. Roll over anything you didn't complete into a "70 Things I Want To Do Before I Turn 70" list, and please enjoy every second of your next decade.

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2013

We're all people of our time. You want little do with the world I helped create and I feel likewise about the one that you're creating.

by Anonymousreply 1503/25/2013

I'm with R9. I taught for the past ten years as an adjunct professor at two different universities (one a large public school, one a smaller private school), and ever since, I've been telling people I don't want to be alive (I'm 55) when this generation is running the country.

You know how nothing ever works anymore? Like when the power goes down for a week after a storm and no one seems to know how to bring it back online? What about levees that don't hold? Nuclear power plants that crack open? New bridges that fall down even before the construction has been completed? [These are real -- and relatively recent -- examples, BTW.]

Be prepared for things like that to get worse -- much, much worse; because college graduates under 30 actually think they know something about their fields, when in actuality, they can barely read a textbook, do math without a calculator, or write a complete sentence without an error.

What kind of engineers will we have when students get "partial credit" for incorrect math problems? What kind of journalists will we have when students pay others to write their papers? What kind of Ph.D.s will be teaching, when anyone could go online right now and hire someone else to do the research, crunch the numbers, and write the dissertation? What does a degree actually mean, when every time the student gets a "C," Mommy and Daddy run bitching to the Dean? Or get little Bobby diagnosed with a learning disability?

As far as I can tell, the only reason students are currently passing their courses is because we have "dumbed down" the college curriculum to the point that virtually anyone can get a degree -- even a graduate degree. [And, on a side note, I got my ass reamed (and told to change the grade) by my department chair every single time I failed a student -- even students who were failing at the mid-term and blew off the final. And I wasn't the only one by a long shot.]

So, young people, look in the mirror and ask yourselves -- did I use my cellphone to cheat on an exam? Did I have someone else take an online course for me? Did my roommate write some of my papers, or did I plagiarize them from the internet? If any of these (and many other ways of cheating) are true for you, you are a shining example of the frightening future of this nation.

The easier you found college to be, the less you likely learned. So if you thought college was a breeze, be prepared after graduation to find yourself in the position of faking your way through a lot of things people will presume you already know. And the worst part is, the other professional people you think you can trust -- nurses, doctors, the engineers who designed your car -- will have had the same kind of schooling as you, and they'll all be faking their way through things as well.

When this generation starts designing airplanes, piloting cruise ships, predicting sinkholes, doing surgery, approving newly genetically engineered fruits and vegetables, and doing all the miscellaneous things that need to be done to keep this nation from a complete and utter disaster, take my word for it -- you won't want to be alive anymore, either.

You can already see the signs of the beginnings of this, if you're paying attention.

Just think about it.

by Anonymousreply 1603/25/2013

Because most of them refuse to lift a finger to reduce their consumption of world resources to a sustainable level, I will be glad to see them feeding the worms. And r16, your elders hated you when you were young too, with good reason it seems.

by Anonymousreply 1703/25/2013

I like what R10 said

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2013

I was recently committed and was startled by young people's utter delusional conviction that they were entertainers. The future may be a dark age for technical advancement, but it heralds an exciting new age for the arts. Not arts requiring discipline, mind you, but they're certainly media prepared.

by Anonymousreply 1903/25/2013

The baby boomers were the ultimate "me" generation. Family, the environment, and economic health all came at the expense of personal happiness and "fulfilment". Now they expect Gen Y to clean up their mess and live austere lives while they play golf and enjoy their retirement benefits. Reaganites, all of them.

by Anonymousreply 2003/25/2013

The boomers are a greater generation than their offspring. We got a lot of things right, including still having respect for education, progress and authority, even if we questioned it and squandered some things. Technology will become the DOWNFALL of civilization, in my opinion, quite the reverse of what most people think. Younger people cannot write, cannot communicate and have A.D.D. from all the gadgets that have stolen their brain cells. The great and tragic failure of the baby boomers are their offspring.

by Anonymousreply 2103/25/2013

The young twats you're complaining about are more likely to be the grandchildren of baby boomers, rather than children. Blame the Gen-X-ers, they raised the Overpraised Generation.

by Anonymousreply 2203/25/2013

The last American boomer will die sometime around 2080 so they're going to be around for quite a while.

by Anonymousreply 2303/25/2013

I'm looking forward to the real estate deals!!

by Anonymousreply 2403/25/2013

My sister was born in the last year of the Baby Boom, and she's only 48. She'll turn 49 at the end of the year.

We're all Boomers in my family, and all of us are in "service" careers: nurse, EMT, firefighter, teacher, public health, librarian...

None of us are materialistic, and we're all still trying to leave this world a better place in terms of the environment and progressive politics.

by Anonymousreply 2503/25/2013

(2) baby boomers are people born between 1946 and 1966. None of them have reach 70 yet. and the youngest ones are not even 50 yet. So OP settle down you have a while to wait.

by Anonymousreply 2603/25/2013

R26, Baby Boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. It's easy to remember because the last two digits are transposed.

by Anonymousreply 2703/25/2013

You've got be kidding me r20.

Today's 20-30 yr olds are the most fucked up, me generation EVER.

They do absolutely nothing but worship the likes of Snooki, Kim Kardashian, gangsta rappers, and the Atlanta housewives.

by Anonymousreply 2803/26/2013

I've used the millions I've gotten from social security and Medicare to hire a gen-x'er to die in my place.

by Anonymousreply 2903/26/2013

looking like a fool with your pants on the ground

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013

When I was 18 years old I was promised once these oldsters started retiring the jobs would be flowing. I'm 40 years old now and I'm still waiting.

by Anonymousreply 3103/26/2013

Ever notice that Bieber walks like an orangutan in order to keep his pants from falling to his feet?

by Anonymousreply 3203/26/2013

1946 to 1964

far too wide a span to generalize and some divide this group into two - Boomers and GenJones

many of this generation have children, grandchildren, great grandchildren... while others have teens

some married early, some married frequently, some delayed marriage for professional lives, some never married, some are hoping that after years of waiting they will at last be able to marry

some served in Viet Nam, some protested against Viet Nam

some demonstrated against the establishment then became the establishment, while others found alternate lifestyles

some paved the way for social reform and some fight against it even now

if the youngest of boomers lives to be 100, the last of this generation will be around until the early 2060's

it is what it is

by Anonymousreply 3303/26/2013

1964 is the cutoff for boomers. Five years from 1964 is considered a cusper. I was born to two baby boomer parents in 1964. I am very much GenX in attitude, lifestyle, parenting styles, etc. I could not be a boomer due to the fact my parents are boomers. I am not alone in this category. It was just such a large period of time, they are still coming up with ways to carve it up and categorize it.

by Anonymousreply 3403/26/2013

R35 Go fuck yourself, you arrogant twat! How's this for justice? When we're dead and gone, you're OLD!!! You seem to think you'll live forever and be 20-21 forever. Doesn't happen.

None of my friends are bleeding the system dry. We are all in careers that will ensure that we will all retire as wealthy men. We worked hard and we will reap the benefits of that hard work. Thank you, very much! Time marches on and you will soon be the age I am now.

As a matter of fact, with your sedentary lifestyle, probable drug use and bareback sex, you may not see a very bright future, if any at all. Grow the fuck up!

by Anonymousreply 3603/26/2013

Sorry you young, spoiled, selfish twats. Still going strong here at 83. I'll kick off when I'm good and ready.

by Anonymousreply 3703/26/2013

Unfortunately it's going to be decades yet before they die.

by Anonymousreply 3803/26/2013

This thread makes me very sad. I am 42. I fall in the middle of the age bracket here. It saddens me, because in my youth I was urged to come out, stand up and be counted. To be part of the gay and lesbian "brother/sister-hood". I have found over the years that there is no unity, there is no kinship, there is little to no respect among us.

This thread saddens me because it drives it home that, no matter if we come out or not, we are each alone in this. The young gays are intolerant the older ones, the older gays are intolerant of the younger ones, the rich ones hate the poor ones, and vice-versa. It makes me want to go back into the closet and stay away from the most of you.

The straights all think we have this hidden "gay agenda", shit, if they only knew. We can't even tolerate each other as human beings, much less be empowered enough as a group to create an agenda together. Very sad! Back to the closet I go... (well, not quite, but you get the drift).

by Anonymousreply 3903/26/2013

Good post #39. Covered some good points. I agree.

by Anonymousreply 4003/26/2013

Steve you're kind of an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 4103/26/2013

Looks like you proved SteveS point r41.

by Anonymousreply 4203/26/2013

I think I'm Gen Yer (born in 1981).

I love the Boomers. If you really stop and consider the huge leaps forward we've made with Boomers at the helm. From Civil Rights to Steve Jobs, from Salmon Rushdie to free love, from Title IX to Roe V. Wade. Boomers challenged everything in such a comprehensive way, something we really haven't seen on such an epic level since maybe the Enlightenment. Were they perfect? Too idealistic? Too human in their execution? Yup. But the very best of them were renegades and revolutionaries and held a mirror to our faults as a nation (speaking Americanese here, sorry).

Sure, it's silly to generalize a span of so many years, but I think overall, they did pretty damn well.

by Anonymousreply 4303/26/2013

lol R37 you tell 'em

Not all Boomers are of the "me and my endless summer" ilk.

Boomer here. My friends and I all have had careers in education, social work, public administration, etc. We were the protestors against the Viet Nam war, we were the feminists, we were gay liberationists, we served in the Peace Corps, we taught in inner cities.

Retired now but still volunteering in work that supports inner city schools.

People like me of my generation knew that we have a responsibility to make things better if we can. I despair of the lack of humanity in so many today.

My life has been good and I intend to stick around as long as I can.

by Anonymousreply 4403/26/2013

I do think that the baby boom's survivors are in for misfortunes that our generation never knew and the national debt is the least of it. You're going to be up against problems of joblessness, climate change and illiteracy, the likes of which we can't imagine now. The government will become increasingly impoverished. There will also be continuing cultural wars as Hispanics become the majority circa 2050 and the far right refuses to go away. It's not entirely fair to visit all this at our doorstep. It's a confluence of factors that millenials are ill-equipped to deal with. They're being trained to shut up and retreat into playing videogames, texting, tweeting or watching videos.

by Anonymousreply 4503/26/2013

Thanks R43.

by Anonymousreply 4603/26/2013

Who has time to volunteer? How could I possibly find time to play X-Box, update my Facebook status every 15 minutes, Twitter to all my thousands of close friends, hit up Grindr and bareback with 6 or 7 perfect strangers in a single evening, smoke meth and sit on my ever-widening high-fructose corn-syruppy ass?

by Anonymousreply 4703/26/2013

R47 LOL. So true.

by Anonymousreply 4803/26/2013

R47, you have a continuity error in your post. Meth addicts don't have "ever widening" behinds. If it helps, remember this little ditty:

Barebackers don't make passes at meth heads with fat asses.

by Anonymousreply 4903/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.