Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay retirement home paving the way?

According to the article, it's South Florida's first gay retirement home.

Located in Wilton Manors (surrounded by Fort Lauderdale), it's a seven bedroom property converted from what once was a small assisted living facility.

The 4,000-square-foot facility will provide either a shared or private room, meals and transportation for shopping outings and doctor appointments.

Meanwhile, in downtown Fort Lauderdale, plans are underway for Pineapple House, a LGBT-friendly independent, assisted living and memory care center that would feature almost 200 units, and have a relationship with Pineapple Point, an upscale gay men's resort on Fort Lauderdale beach.

Is there a need for more retirement facilities and communities for gays? Would you consider that for your retirement years?

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

Demographers are predicting there will be 3 million gay Americans older than age 65 by 2030. Developing gay-friendly retirement housing has been labeled an emerging trend for more than a decade.

While developers have eagerly explored the new potential niche market, one proposal after another has died on the vine. Many among the few communities nationwide that got off the launch pad have floundered, victims of declining real estate values, poor management or a too-shallow financial foundation.

Hilary Meyer, director of the National Resource Center on LGBT Aging, said it's "baffling why these places aren't thriving. There is so much interest. I really don't have an answer."

by Anonymousreply 103/25/2013

The Palms of Manasota, which was hailed as the country's first true LGBT senior community when it opened south of Tampa, Florida in 2000, today is in bankruptcy.

Ron Lennon, a college professor formerly from Fort Lauderdale, and his partner bought a villa in the Palms ten years ago for two reasons: Like many retirees, they wanted a scaled-back lifestyle in a quieter place that still had an arts scene. And like many gays and lesbians, "we wanted to be with like-minded people," said Lennon, who is the president of one of the Palms' two homeowner associations.

The development failed because it was underfunded, Lennon said, causing it to financially collapse in the market downturn.

Now some of the foreclosed units are starting to sell — in some cases to straight homeowners who think gay men would make good neighbors, he said.

by Anonymousreply 203/25/2013

I'm guessing the Rentboy.com is strategically planning its very first brick and mortar retail storefront, called Caftans and Callboys, immediately adjacent to the home.

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2013

RainbowVision — one of the most widely publicized ventures, catering to lesbians but welcoming to all — is in bankruptcy.

It opened outside Santa Fe, N.M., in 2006. Since then, the roughly 100 residents who envisioned a new utopia found themselves locked in bitter financial battles with management, some filing lawsuits.

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013

"Hilary Meyer, director of the National Resource Center on LGBT Aging, said it's "baffling why these places aren't thriving. There is so much interest. I really don't have an answer."

Hilary, perhaps it's because all the projects done so far are for the wealthy and not those of us who make an average living.

by Anonymousreply 603/25/2013

Also, in addition to the large cost to reside at one of these places, maybe gay people have little desire to especially reside at places strictly for gay people when they reach the stage needing assisted living.

I haven't yet read the Orlando Sentinel article on Wilton Manors, but seven bedrooms is an exceedingly small facility and until I read the article, I won't know what stages of decline or age-related needs this tiny facility would house.

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2013

Thank you, r6, why do these people think all gays are loaded? Certainly a lot of wealthy gay men, but they aren't the ones looking this kind of living.

People are so greedily profit driven they don't even bother to know their customers. The eye is on the profit, not the customer. Flawed thinking. Because if you don't care about what you are building or selling *other than dollars* it's going to fail.

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

7 beds is very small. I would not want to risk living in such a small facility because I'd be afraid I wouldn't like my neighbors. You'd never be able to escape them.

All gay, all the time, would get a little boring, too.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

Affordable gay- and lesbian-friendly senior housing projects, which are nonprofits and have resident income limits, are said to have been the most successful so far. Triangle Square, in the Los Angeles area, consistently has a waiting list.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

"Everyone get in a circle and pay 'Guess what's under my caftan'"

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

That place will be like Datalounge, with dyed hair and spectacles.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

Business partners Cork Chicota and John De Leo of Shaman Development, had hopes for eastern Broward County (Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood area) when they joined forces in 2002 and began pulling together multiple projects. They tried everything: a 300-plus unit, high-end, resort-style building that included an advance care wing; a conversion of an existing building; and a small complex supported by tax or government dollars and open to lower-to-moderate-income seniors.

But the financing never gelled for any of them as the housing market turned sour in 2007 and no successful models emerged. Shaman was 45 days from breaking ground on a Fort Lauderdale project in 2008 when the bank, frightened by the RainbowVision lesbian fracas, pulled the loan.

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

[quote]why do these people think all gays are loaded?

they must read DL

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2013

Located in Wilton Manors...how appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

ewwww. i wonder if the elderfairies will get it on...

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2013

Hopefully they're smart enough to use smelling salts instead of poppers.

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

Wilton Manors is a favorite gay retirement venue, though not as popular as Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 1803/26/2013

I think this is a fantastic idea.

by Anonymousreply 1903/26/2013

There is a very good documentary about a Gay retirement home in Amsterdam. Unfortunately, I don't know the name*. It is interesting for several reasons including that the film makes clear that The Netherlands is not as open and accepting as most gay Americans think it is. I would like to know how that home is doing now.

(*and, no, it is not "Ja zuster, nee zuster")

by Anonymousreply 2003/26/2013

Too soon.

The gays who are over 65 aren't baby boomers. They grew up in the closet, don't necessarily identify as gay, and aren't ready to do so now.

But in about 10-15 years, these homes will be financially profitable. Wait till the early gay baby boomers hit their golden years. It'll be hell on wheelchairs.

by Anonymousreply 2103/26/2013

[quote] The development failed because it was underfunded, Lennon said

In other words, the homes were too expensive.

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

The Villages in Central Florida has a ton of gay couples. I don't know if there are activities strictly for gay couples, but I would presume there are, since there are activities going on all the time.

My aunt and uncle live next door to a gay male couple from New York and have met quite a few others over time (more female couples than male, obviously, due to age), and while a few people get uptight, most people are very welcoming. The Villages has some rich people, but is mostly middle class people living in small little houses just getting by. They spend a lot of their time doing the free activities that are available.

It's actually a lot cheaper for many couples to retire to The Villages than it is for them to live their existing lives, because prices are so low and the cost-of-living is far less than in other parts of the country.

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

[quote]RainbowVision — one of the most widely publicized ventures, catering to lesbians but welcoming to all — is in bankruptcy.

That's when the U-Haul dealer down the street went out of business.

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.