Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

since it's still snowing in spring

why don't they change the dates of the seasons?

Winter should be Dec 1 to March 31.

Spring can be April 1 to June 15.

June 15 to LABOR DAY is summer.

Fall is day after labor day till Nov. 30.

People say summer's over after labor day anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2603/26/2013

Who told you I did coke last night?

by Anonymousreply 103/25/2013

Who would "they" be, OP?

by Anonymousreply 203/25/2013

In the UK winter is considered to be Dec 1- March 1.

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2013

I really wanted winter to end early this year, instead it lingered on into spring. You've let me down global warming! Oh well, I do think winter will be over for good in a few days, at least here in the KC area.

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013

sounds reasonable, OP!

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2013

Around here, spring really comes in February or March, sometimes as early as January. In Alaska, it probably comes in June.

The official change-of-season dates are a fiction, created to cover a country full of varying climate zones.

by Anonymousreply 603/25/2013

Dallas here. It's been cold - not cold by Northern standards by any means (I'm originally from New England. However, it's been an odd year. It really hasn't warmed up to the mid-70s consistently, which we would expect by now. Starting in mid-February, you'd normally see a couple of days a week in the mid-70s and a few 80s. We've scarcely had a few days that high.

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2013

The seasons are marked by astronomical events (equinoxes and solstices,) not by whatever the weather is doing. Isn't winter or spring weather determined by groundhogs, anyway?

What bothers me more is starting Daylight Saving Time so early in the year. I loathe getting up in the dark to get ready for work. I feel like I'm getting up in the middle of the night.

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

We should get rid of DST, R8. It is useless.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

OP, Equinox is equinox, okay? it's not a meteorlogical thing, it's a daylight hours thing.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

Seasons change.

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

We'll take a vote, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1203/26/2013

r8 Exactly. r12 LOL

by Anonymousreply 1303/26/2013

While we're at it, why don't we even out the number of days in a month? There's no need for 28/29 in February. We should have seven 30-day months, and five 31-day months. (In leap year, one of the 30-day months would have an extra day.)

Alternatively, twelve 30-day months with a monthless five- or six-day period at the end of the year (between Christmas and New Year's.)

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2013

or, R14, ten months of equal length

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

Oh. Em. Gee.

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2013

[quote]since it's still snowing

Snowing WHERE? You do realize this is the world wide web, you moron?

by Anonymousreply 1703/26/2013

Calendar reform has been proposed and rejected. Two plans gained something of a foothold about 50 years ago: 13 months of 28 days (a seventh month called "Sol" added between June and July) was one, but the one I like is the "World Calendar", which evenly divides the year by quarters, which each quarter being 61 days beginning on a Sunday and ending on a Saturday, with one 31-day month followed by two 30 day months. January, April, July, and October would have 31 days, the others 30.

This would make a "perpetual" calendar - January 1 is always a Sunday. Christmas is always the same day, Thanksgiving always the same date. Schools and other organizations wouldn't have to spend man hours making a new schedule of vacations and start/end dates every year. Calendars wouldn't have to be mulched if unsold. Quarter-to-quarter business reports could be more easily compared when they're the same length and don't have to figure in random weekends or holidays or what-have-you.

In both calendars, "Intercalary" days are added to get to 365 (or 366) in a leap year. That means, December 30 is a Saturday and January 1 is a Sunday. There would be an added December 31, a day between Saturday and Sunday once a year (twice in leap years, where another extra day is inserted before July 1.) I like the idea of New Years Eve being a non-day, somehow.

Alas, it will never happen and weave our friends the Religious Nuts to thank. See, the bible says that God wants the world to run in 7 day cycles - the sabbath is the 7th day and it's holy. If there's an 8-day week, it means people would have to start going to church one day earlier every year lest they offend God and that can't be. When the suggestion was to make the extra days holy days, it was flat-out rejected. God made the world in 7-day weeks, and that is that and it is final and and it is Religious Persecution to change the calendar.

So, no calendar change. The world discussed it and the Jesus folk shot it down.

by Anonymousreply 1803/26/2013

Calendars dictated by weather would be so fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1903/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 2003/26/2013

OP? Labor Day is an American holiday. Since other countries have seasons too, it would be absurd to expect them to recognize a foreign holiday (especially one that isn't a fixed date) as the traditional start of a season.

by Anonymousreply 2103/26/2013

Besides, Labor Day (or Workers' Day) is May First everywhere else in the world.

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

Seasons change, reasons chay-nge.

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

They should make DST permanent. I don't care how dark it is in the morning, but I do like to see a bit of sunlight in the evening when I get out of work. When I leave the office and it's dark outside, I feel like I've put in way too many hours.

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

After we straighten out the seasons and the months, can we work on implementing the Decabet?

by Anonymousreply 2503/26/2013

Christ on a crutch, OP, we can't even get Americans to switch over to the metric system.

by Anonymousreply 2603/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!