Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Republican Mississippi legislator sets promising new trend, kills self at lover's home

A Mississippi state lawmaker was found dead in an apparent suicide Sunday at the home of a former state legislator, authorities say. Simpson County Sheriff Kenneth Lewis tells Rep. Jessica Upshaw appears to have shot herself in the head at a home in Mendenhall on Sunday. The lawmaker was 53. Sources tell Upshaw's body was found at the home of former state Rep. Clint Rotenberry. He has not been arrested in the case.

Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant released a statement on Upshaw's death late Sunday, saying he and his wife Deborah were saddened by the news.

"I have known Jessica for many years as an unselfish and dedicated public servant. This is a tragic loss for her family and all Mississippians, and our thoughts and prayers go out to her family during this difficult time," Bryant said.

Upshaw was an attorney who had been a lawmaker since 2004. She was a Republican from Diamondhead along the state's coast. Mendenhall is about 110 miles away from her hometown. Upshaw served District 95, in the Mississippi House of Representatives, which covers Hancock and Harrison Counties.

Lewis says authorities are waiting for an autopsy to confirm Upshaw's official cause of death.

by Anonymousreply 3303/26/2013

Excellent trend for Republican adulterers. It seems both he and she were guilty and devious.

by Anonymousreply 103/25/2013

Were they somehow involved in the murder of the gay politician?

by Anonymousreply 203/25/2013

Heterosexual relationships are whacky! And she had crazy eyes...

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2013

This is what Jean Harris said she had intended to do .......

Here is Jessica's "Dr. Tarnower"

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2013

She looks Jodie Foster-y to me.

Like she says "yessir" a lot ...

by Anonymousreply 603/25/2013

By which you mean people that are without tolerance and compassion R7.

Yeah, we're funny that way.

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

What you trying to say, r7?

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

I am saying we should lead by example. Stereotyping Republicans, wishing them dead, calling them idiots, etc is exactly what people on this board don't want done to them as gay/bi/etc. I find it ironic and don't understand how spouting hate is an effective way to pursue gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

I didn't wish her dead, I just said she looked like Jodie Foster.

Kate McKinnon Jodie @ Golden Globes spoof at the end of this clip.

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

Sorry, I should have directed to R1. My mistake

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

She had 'crazy eyes'

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

That article said nothing about her politics, other than party, and I just wondered about some of what she was specific involved with -- or what policies she spearheaded.

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2013

[quote]Excellent trend for Republican adulterers. It seems both he and she were guilty and devious.

Interesting to see how the Fox news story hides any clues regarding adultery, marriage, cheating, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1503/25/2013

Local coverage

by Anonymousreply 1603/25/2013

Lots of talk about how smart she was. Too bad she wan't bright enough to figure out she had a terminal mental condition.

by Anonymousreply 1703/25/2013

[quote]Fellow Rep. Becky Currie, R-Brookhaven, said Upshaw will be missed greatly... Currie said Upshaw was excited to see her grandson. “She has a new grandchild —she was so proud. ... I know she has a lot she wanted to live for.”

Is Currie putting out doubts that Upshaw committed suicide?

Upshaw was said to be single in r16's link. No mention of the current marriage situation of Clint Rotenberry though they mention a telephone number for his wife.

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2013

Yet another victim of gun violence....

by Anonymousreply 1903/25/2013

Yes, a victim of gun violence. But, who owned the gun and who pulled the trigger?

by Anonymousreply 2003/25/2013

How do you know that they were lovers?

by Anonymousreply 2103/25/2013

Info included at link at r16.

by Anonymousreply 2203/25/2013

The info at R16 has been updated since it was posted earlier today. It now includes: "The two were thought to have been dating for several years. Rotenberry, who is divorced..."

by Anonymousreply 2303/25/2013

Are the cops actually investigating or are they clearing away evidence that would implicate Rotenberry?

by Anonymousreply 2403/25/2013

R14, she was a typical repug. I saw this reply on Gawker

I met her and she was very kind. She was one of the few State House members that treated everyone around her with the same respect, no matter their station. That being said, she introduced a bill that died in committee allowing public and private employers to ask applicants if they use tobacco products. She cosponsored a bill that prohibited taxpayer funded gun buyback/destruction programs. She introduced a bill that died in committee exempting the first $10,000 from state income tax for corporations. She introduced a bill that died in committee that would require illegal drug testing of Medicaid recipients. And finally, because they have nothing better to do with their time, cosponsored two bills celebrating the 401st anniversary of the writing of the King James version of the bible and the 54th anniversary of adding "Under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance.

by Anonymousreply 2503/25/2013

Suicide or murder? It's doubtful that Misissippi cops would get it right.

by Anonymousreply 2603/26/2013

It could have been murder

by Anonymousreply 2703/26/2013

She died a few feet from her car between the driveway and the garage under the garage door.

To me that sounds more like an ambush scenario than the kind of place people choose to commit suicide, but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 2803/26/2013

Right and isn't she the 5th MS politician to be murdered lately?

by Anonymousreply 2903/26/2013

Here's hoping more and more republican politicians take her lead!

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013

[quote]To me that sounds more like an ambush scenario than the kind of place people choose to commit suicide,

You're right. The place just doesn't seem right for this type of scenario. Would local cops even notice?

by Anonymousreply 3103/26/2013

Women don't typically suicide by gun. Usually they go the pills route, it seems

by Anonymousreply 3203/26/2013

Are you high r11?

by Anonymousreply 3303/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!