Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Supreme Court Chief Justice's Lesbian Cousin to Attend Prop 8 Oral Arguments - in FAMILY BOX!

By Maura Dolan

10:13 p.m. CDT, March 24, 2013

SAN FRANCISCO--Jean Podrasky, 48, a lesbian who wants to marry her partner, will be at Tuesday’s U.S. Supreme Court hearing on Proposition 8 in seating reserved for family members and guests of Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr.

“I am so excited,” said Podrasky, an accountant and the first cousin of the chief justice on his mother’s side. “I feel quite honored and overwhelmed.”

Roberts is a conservative appointed by President George W. Bush in 2005. Podrasky, who is more liberal, said she rooted for his nomination to be approved by the U.S. Senate. “He is family,” she said.

Podrasky lives in San Francisco and usually sees Roberts only on family occasions. His mother is her godmother, whom she adores. She said Roberts knows she is gay and introduced her along with other relatives during his Senate confirmation hearing. She hopes he will meet her partner of four years, Grace Fasano, during their Washington visit. The couple flew to Washington on Sunday.

“He is a smart man,” she said. “He is a good man. I believe he sees where the tide is going. I do trust him. I absolutely trust that he will go in a good direction.”

Podrasky obtained the highly coveted courtroom seats by emailing Roberts’ sister, Peggy Roberts, and then going through his secretary. Roberts knows she is attending, she said. She, her partner, her sister and her niece will attend Tuesday’s arguments on Proposition 8. On Wednesday, her father will take her niece’s place for the hearing on the challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act.

Although Podrasky has no personal knowledge of her cousin’s views on same-sex marriage, she expects the court will overturn the 2008 ballot initiative, leaving her free to marry Fasano.

“I am definitely ready,” she said.

In the weeks before the November 2008 election, Podrasky carried a sign that said, “Prop. 8 is hate,” at a BART station and handed out fliers on a college campus. She called the passage of the gay marriage ban “such a blow.”

The San Francisco-based National Center for Lesbian Rights, which has fought for marriage rights, invited Podrasky to do a guest column about being related to the chief justice. The column will be emailed to members Monday.

“Everyone in this country has a family member who is part of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community…,” she wrote. “As a Californian, I want nothing more than to marry my wonderful girlfriend. And as a tax-paying citizen, I seek basic fairness.”

She said she does not know whether having a lesbian family member would influence Roberts’ thinking.

“Everybody knows somebody” who is gay, she said. “It probably impacts everybody.”

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

You said 'oral'. uh-huh-huh-huh-huh

by Anonymousreply 103/25/2013

[quote]“He is family,” she said.

I'll bet.

by Anonymousreply 203/25/2013

Huh-huh-huh. BOX. Huh-huh-huh ...

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2013

Gay Supreme Chief Justice John Roberts and his boyfriends showing off their favorite dish:

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013

In 1996 Roberts actually donated his legal help to gay rights activists in the Romer vs. Evans case, but that doesn't necessarily he's a gay marriage advocate: "There is no other record of Roberts being involved in gay rights cases that would suggest his position on such issues. He has stressed, however, that a client's views are not necessarily shared by the lawyer who argues on his or her behalf," The Los Angeles Times's Richard A. Serrano wrote in 2005. And Richard Socarides, the principal adviser to President Clinton on gay and lesbian issues, agreed on Roberts's poker face: "None of the gay-rights-related cases that have come before him as a judge give any significant clues as to how he might rule on the weighty constitutional issues he will face," wrote Richard Socarides for The New Yorker last July.

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2013

I'd say that's a good thing...

by Anonymousreply 603/25/2013

Is the box carpeted?

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

Is she a carpet muncher?

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

Michfest eligible with invite in the mail, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

R4, isn't that Robert's brother-in-law and his brother?

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

All I see is three very hot and heterosexual men, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

I want a view of the dugout, op.

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!