Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Just saw an online ad for "bing," as in "bing it on." Is it really better than google?

Is "google" still our friend?

by Anonymousreply 3304/02/2013

Bing sucks

by Anonymousreply 103/24/2013

OP = shill

Get going.

by Anonymousreply 203/24/2013

Google was never your friend.

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2013

R2, No, I am not a "shill." An ad just flashed on my screen, and not being technically proficient, I wanted DL's advice again.

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013

I use Bing for image searches now, as Google seems to think I'm five years old and filters out all of the X-rated pics.

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2013

I find Bing image searches to be better, regardless of what you're searching for (but especially for pics of hot guys :-). More relevant, more options, and a better presenation.

For most other searches it's a wash... Bing is better on some, Google is better on others. Bing sometimes has better presentation, offering up other options and possibilities. Occasionally Google is better.

With Bing, though, I know Google isn't data-mining everything I do.

But I use both, to be honest... about equally.

by Anonymousreply 603/25/2013

[quote]With Bing, though, I know Google isn't data-mining everything I do.

Well, of course not: with Bing, Microsoft is data-mining everything you do.

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2013

Can you get Adblock Plus for IE?

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

I hate Google, but Bing sucks 1,000 times worse. I've never gotten better results with Bing compared to Google.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

[quote]Well, of course not: with Bing, Microsoft is data-mining everything you do.

Except they're not.

Google's whole business model and revenue stream depends on selling your information, generating ad revenue.

Microsoft's business model is nothing like that.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

[quote]I hate Google, but Bing sucks 1,000 times worse. I've never gotten better results with Bing compared to Google.

I'm not sure how you can defend either statement. Both are incorrect. Either that or you never search for anything.

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

I'm so glad that Google Plus site or whatever the fuck it is (meant to replace Facebook) hasn't taken off. Over my dead body.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

I like Bing, I don't use it because I'm too lazy to download those huge files and I'm not sure my mac can handle it.

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

The best thing about "Bing" is that it's given Google some actual competition... and forced Google to up their game. Google Image Search is now way better than it used to be, primiarlly because Bing came in with a vastly superior image search (originally).

by Anonymousreply 1403/28/2013

Right now I'd say no. Google has improved its search algorithms so that it filters out a lot of worthless sites that use tricks to rate higher in search engines, and brings up more relevant ones. Bing still brings up tons of garbage as well as loading its results with paid links that are generally worthless.

by Anonymousreply 1503/28/2013

Try the "Bing vs. Google" site... type in you rsearch term, and get a split window showing results from both, side-by-side:

by Anonymousreply 1603/28/2013

Bing picture searches are awful to navigate. You can't just click on the photo and go, it's all these steps. I've done other searches and it's definitely not as thorough as Google.

FAIL

by Anonymousreply 1703/28/2013

I can't tell the difference between the two so I'm not going to use Google.

Because of their rapacious data mining.

by Anonymousreply 1803/28/2013

R17, Bing picture searches used to be better. Now they're not quite as good, but I don't think they're nearly as bad as you characterize.

by Anonymousreply 1903/28/2013

The Bing v. Google site is a Bing page.

by Anonymousreply 2003/28/2013

Bing is good for images.

Google for information.

by Anonymousreply 2103/28/2013

R8, apparently it's available but not free (see comments at link). I've been using the plain (not plus) AdBlock with Chrome for about 1 year & it's been great.

My default search engine is GoodSearch, which uses Yahoo. It's fine for most of my purposes (which aren't very demanding) -- every time you search, it pays something to the charity of your choice (& you can nominate your favorite if that's not already included on their list). Now & then, I'll check out Google too/instead -- I'll try Bing too, if I ever remember -- but GoodSearch is sufficient for me day in & day out.

by Anonymousreply 2203/28/2013

Google is evil. It logs EVERYTHING. Bing, I am not sure of, but I use Startpage or Ixquick.

by Anonymousreply 2303/28/2013

Team Google, Blows Bing Away In Any Type Of Search

by Anonymousreply 2403/28/2013

Truthfully, I don't think it matters all that much. For either, any relevant data should be coming up on the first few pages. I never go much beyond that to find what I'm looking for anyway.

I do agree that the google parental blocks of images are annoying and I am using bing more for image searches when looking for the nekkid stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2503/28/2013

Take the test yourself.

I just took it, and out of the 5 rounds, I chose Bing results four times (and honestly, the one time I chose Google, it was very close, and I almost selected "a draw").

Check it out:

by Anonymousreply 2603/31/2013

Don't believe them OP. Bing is the better device and full of photos

by Anonymousreply 2703/31/2013

What R26 said

by Anonymousreply 2804/02/2013

Bing is simply copying Google's results.

by Anonymousreply 2904/02/2013

[quote]I'm so glad that Google Plus site or whatever the fuck it is (meant to replace Facebook) hasn't taken off. Over my dead body.

Google+ is superior in every way to Facebook, in design and implementation. It's a great messaging and collaboration platform. Plenty of people use it; they just don't use it in the same way people use Facebook.

[quote]Google is evil. It logs EVERYTHING.

Turn it off in Settings. Voilà.

Or use DuckDuckGo.

by Anonymousreply 3004/02/2013

R29 (rolling eyes)

by Anonymousreply 3104/02/2013

R31 Are you sure you're rolling your eyes? It seems more like they are closed.

by Anonymousreply 3204/02/2013

using r16's link, type in "pissyloot" and compare the results. Google is much better. It searched for the actual word, whereas Bing searched for anything that sort of looked like it, including splitting the word in two. If you're really stupid and can't be bothered to type in what you're actually looking for then you may prefer Bing's guessing. But I don't want it flooding the results with 66,000 things that are not related to my search while ignoring the 10 real things that are.

by Anonymousreply 3304/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.