Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Phil Spector movie with Al Pacino premieres on HBO tonight

I watched Walking Dead but plan on watching it later. How was it?

by Anonymousreply 4603/31/2013

horrid.

by Anonymousreply 103/24/2013

I figured Al would chew up all the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 203/24/2013

I think they found Pacino's wigs inside my show's Lost & Found.

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2013

poor Bette quit this film...why? An HBO movie is almost an instant Emmy nomination (since they make so few TV movies nowadays. I saw the ballot the year Kate Winslet won for Mildred Pierce and there were only about 12 actresses even eligible for the 5 nomination slots.)

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013

r4, was Bette supposed to play his lawyer?

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2013

I got through the first 15 minutes. Dreary script and Jeffrey Tambor and Helen Mirren seemed to be mired in a bad one-act play set in an office.

It also looked like a daytime soap opera -- flat, high contrast everything.

by Anonymousreply 603/25/2013

LOL at r3

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2013

Bette was certainly the right choice to play pLinda Kenney-I remember when she'd go on Geraldo to talk about OJ. Dame Helen Mirren was not the right choice to replace Midler.

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

I thought it was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

yes r5

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

Yours is a minority opinion, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

Did David Mamet find some way to make this story right-wing?

I'm kind of boycotting his work right now.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

He's apparently veered on thie side of Spector being innocent, right?

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

65 rating on metacritic, which they characterize as "generally favorable" but always means definitely horrible.

*That* pic of Phil, if there's anyone who hasn't seen it. He went to court like this!

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2013

LOL r14, who would think that look is a good idea to prove your innocence in court?

by Anonymousreply 1503/25/2013

Wasn't this movie made like three years ago? What took so fucking long? Did they green screen Pacino's hair, taking years to complete in post??

by Anonymousreply 1603/25/2013

What the hell is happening at HBO? Showtime is getting all the buzz and for good reason. The suits at HBO better hope the new season of True Blood doesn't suck or they will lose even more subscribers.

by Anonymousreply 1703/25/2013

I'm about 20 minutes into it. The problem is Al Pacino is so distinctive that instead of seeing Phil Spector I just see Al Pacino in a bad wig.

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2013

[quote]What the hell is happening at HBO? Showtime is getting all the buzz and for good reason.

What? Showtime has ZERO buzz or respect. This film is weak but has a great pedigree, Mamet, Pacino, Mirren. Not every film is going to be a classic but even Showtime's sitcoms are crap.

by Anonymousreply 2003/25/2013

[quote]Not every film is going to be a classic but even Showtime's sitcoms are crap.

For instance?

by Anonymousreply 2103/25/2013

r20, I think for a long time Showtime was seen as HBO's less talented, less flashy younger cousin. But then a little gem called Homeland came along and changed everyone's perceptions. It's going to end up doing for Showtime what The Sopranos did for HBO.

by Anonymousreply 2203/25/2013

Netflix is destroying HBO.

by Anonymousreply 2303/25/2013

HBO received 23 Primetime Emmy Awards, the most of any network for the 11th year in a row this year

Showtime received 3

by Anonymousreply 2403/25/2013

One of the oddest things I have ever seen on television. Repetitive, meandering. Perhaps Mamet's arguably respectable thesis - the guy could have well been innocent but it was impossible for anyone so privileged and strange to be fairly judged - could have supported a sustained drama, but this sure as fuck wasn't it. Pacino's performance is adequate but perfectly predictable. Mirren is more interesting, but she suffers not only from miscasting but from a completely unpersuasive accent, as if she were from the Little Bayonne section of Mayfair.

Most troubling of all are the canned, stilted and condescending exchanges about the realities and necessities of criminal defense work. The banter between Linda Kenney Baden (Mirren) and Bruce Cutler (Jeffrey Tambor, who rises above the material) doesn't even approximate two pro lawyers reflecting on how best to defend a case; it's more like two 5th graders collaborating on a presentation on the criminal justice system. Badly!

by Anonymousreply 2503/25/2013

Anyone know when it will be on next? Thanks

by Anonymousreply 2603/25/2013

Helen Mirren is as Jewish as a bacon sandwich. Midler would have been perfect as Linda Kenney.

by Anonymousreply 2703/25/2013

"Perhaps Mamet's arguably respectable thesis - the guy could have well been innocent but it was impossible for anyone so privileged and strange to be fairly judged"

Yeah, the justice system is so unfair towards wealthy celebrities.

He almost got away with it, just because of his money. If he had been a poor guy he would be on death row right now.

by Anonymousreply 2803/25/2013

It's a godawful movie. Not only is Mirren unconvincing as a Jew she's unconvincing as an American, too. Her accent's up and down like a yo-yo. The way she stressed the J when saying "OJ" made me wince.

by Anonymousreply 2903/25/2013

The one part I did like is when his lawyer is waiting for him inside and sees on TV a big flurry when Spector is walking in but she doesn't see him until he gets off the elevator... with that terrible hairdo (that r14 linked). He said he wore his hair that way as an homage to Jimmy Hendrix?!?

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013

[quote] Mirren is more interesting, but she suffers not only from miscasting but from a completely unpersuasive accent, as if she were from the Little Bayonne section of Mayfair.

Midler left a week into the shoot. Mirren had no preparation before stepping into the role. I can tell you that everyone loved Mirren on that set.

by Anonymousreply 3103/26/2013

What was wrong with the female lawyer? In the movie she said she had pneumonia but I take it was more serious than that since she was too ill to represent him again.

by Anonymousreply 3203/26/2013

You're lying, R31. Production shut down for two weeks to give Mirren time to prepare. Yes, Mirren was well liked but what does that have to do with it? She was miscast, plain and simple.

You're not the 1st AD Michael Hausman, are you? He was a bastard and the crew loathed him.

by Anonymousreply 3303/26/2013

FYI Helen Mirren is Jewish­čĹŹ

by Anonymousreply 3403/26/2013

I didn't know Brits could be Jews?

by Anonymousreply 3503/26/2013

[quote]You're not the 1st AD Michael Hausman, are you? He was a bastard and the crew loathed him.

Ha, ha. No I'm not. Though, I know him as a producer and he's always been nice to me.

And you are right. Mirren being a total pro does not negate the fact that she may have been miscast.

by Anonymousreply 3603/27/2013

Mirren isn't Jewish, R34, her father was Russian Orthodox and her mother was Church of England.

by Anonymousreply 3703/27/2013

Terrible film.

by Anonymousreply 3803/27/2013

Al Pacino looks like Penny Marshall playing Spector. Same build and facial profile as Penny Marshall.

Or Penny Marshall looks like Spector.

by Anonymousreply 3903/27/2013

r15 Wait till I give him some tips for how to present himself to the parole board. I have personally found that carving a swastika in your head is the perfect was to signify that you have slain your personal demons and are, in fact, ready to face the world again.

by Anonymousreply 4003/27/2013

Yeah, I wondered that too, r32. It seems like Linda gets inexplicably ill when it looks like her high-profile client may not win, I know she had to drop out of the Casey Anthony trial for something that seemingly could have been easily taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 4103/27/2013

I agree, R39. In fact, they both resembled Penny Marshall to me.

by Anonymousreply 4203/27/2013

It wasn't what I thought it would be, mainly just how great Linda is to deal with an innocent eccentric. Does Linda give a rat's ass if he's innocent? He still deserves counsel. But the whole canonizing Linda thing was ridiculous. Helen looks way better than Linda but I still hope that when she watched it she finally realized that a 50+ year old looks dumb with that hair. Of course when you are comparing hair with Phil Spector, you will never understand your own shortcomings. I didn't know Bette was supposed to be in it, that would have been great but still Linda-centricly written, with Bette doing it I wouldn't care though.

by Anonymousreply 4303/27/2013

Interesting article about the movie:

by Anonymousreply 4403/30/2013

I have to say, I liked the movie as a portrayal of the problems of a celebrity defense. It seemed pretty realistic, from my experience -- particularly the difficult, histrionic defendant.

Otherwise, the movie was essentially disposable, I admit. Pacino truly emotes.

by Anonymousreply 4503/30/2013

It was awful, but Harry Dean Stanton would've been a far better choice for Spector than Pacino. And I bet that ugly ass jewess, Linda Keeney Baden, got all wet over the idea that La Mirren was playing her.

by Anonymousreply 4603/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.