Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What were you doing when you were 20 years old?

I'm just struggling academically, don't have much time for much else. I think most people my age are out partying. Oh well...

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013

I was working 60 hour weeks as an accounting clerk.

EVERYONE let me know I should attend college.

by Anonymousreply 103/24/2013

college, drinking/drugging, getting laid, getting stds

not anymore

by Anonymousreply 203/25/2013

I was serving in Vietnam . . .

by Anonymousreply 303/25/2013

That was 3 years ago. I did nothing but go to school and study.

It paid off, though.

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013

Back at college after flunking out my first year due to excessive partying. Worked for a year in retail,then went back. Straight As after that.

by Anonymousreply 503/25/2013

I had a full time job in the dentist's office!!!

by Anonymousreply 603/25/2013

I was full-time in college for Fall, Winter & Spring, and worked full-time during the Summer.

by Anonymousreply 703/25/2013

I am 20. I'm going to school and working two part time jobs.

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

Working during the day, partying at night. Every single day. I didn't need much sleep back then.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

1981 -1982

Working at a local winery in the tasting room, going to college, living with a boyfriend, having sex 3 or 4 times a day - at least - we did that for the 4 years that we were together.

I have no idea how we ever found the time.

Going out dancing with friends and staying out until all hours of the morning and sleeping 2 or 3 hours and going to work or school.

We were such idiots.

We spent a lot of time in the summer at a local nude beach with a bunch of friends.

We didn't drink, smoke, or do drugs. We lived in a house in the country that my father and his partner owned and had a big garden and a couple of dogs. No phone, no tv, no debt. I drove an old VW Beetle. He had an old Datsun pickup.

I don't think I've ever been happier.

What the fuck happened to that life?

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

Probably cumming.

I spent most of that year ejaculating.

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

R10, I am totally jealous of the life you had.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

I was a junior at Georgetown in 1981 and had an awesome work-study job in the Smithsonian Castle building.

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

I was living in a very expensive halfway house for the mentally ill. I had a breakdown at 19 and my wealthy parents put me in the facility for a year. I was misdiagnosed and put on the wrong meds the entire time I was living there.

I got out once a close family member was diagnosed as bipolar and I was assessed by her doctor. That doctor diagnosed me as bipolar, put me on lithium, and I was back to normal within weeks. I went back to school and ended up earning a Ph.D. I'm grateful for my meds and being able to have a normal life.

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2013

Theatre major: getting ready to play Mama Rose in Gypsy; film minor:huge crush on a professor.Home: first apt on my own! with 1 female (like me) and 1 male roommie; had a big crush on him (couldn't see how gay, gay, gay he was, even tho mother, aunt and female roomie pointed it out - oi); freezing cold Canadian winters (I grew up on the NYS border); 1-2 trips (long weekends) per year to NYC to see Bway shows.

1974. Yes, I'm ancient! "Over Here": the very young (my age) John Travolta; Treat Williams; The Andrew Sisters!!!; "Equus" - 3rd lead in the part: Anthony Perkins (RSVP), other shows...

Those. Were. The. Fucking. Days!

by Anonymousreply 1503/25/2013

That was a year ago so, I was going to school/working and still a virgin. Nothing has changed a year later except I have a lot more money now.

by Anonymousreply 1603/25/2013

R15 here: meant to say, RIP re Anthony Perkins, not RSVP(!!!)

(slinks away in abject shame...)

by Anonymousreply 1703/25/2013

I wish I could tell you. Unfortunately, I really can't remember what I was doing when I was twenty years old. All I know is that that's when I dropped out of college, and was smoking copious amounts of pot all day every day.

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2013

snorting cocaine and sucking cock

by Anonymousreply 1903/25/2013

I was going to school full time, working at a very busy restaurant in downtown Chicago part time (which I HATED), and my only semblance of a social life outside of work/school was the shitty "relationship" I was in with a guy who shortly thereafter revealed himself to be a total prick. Fun times!

by Anonymousreply 2003/25/2013

Wish that I could go back and change what I did at 20. Beauty queen, no need for an education ( I was a Southern Belle and we were never told that an education was important ) married an older very wealthy man that I was so in love with.He was/is a prick. Divorced with a child that is making far better choices than I did .

by Anonymousreply 2103/25/2013

Getting a double major in Chemistry and Biology at Stanford while spending every night rehearsing musical theater.

by Anonymousreply 2203/25/2013

I was a whore, darlin'

by Anonymousreply 2303/25/2013

I got my first apartment. It was a crappy basement suite, but in a cool area and my place became party central -- which is what I wanted. I had a lot of sex and did a lot of drugs. I wish I'd gone to school instead, but I can't say it wasn't fun at the time. Still, I pissed away potential that I never got back. I'm now 50 and by the time I sobered up, I managed to be able to only achieve about half of what I could have and could only afford a bachelor's degree, not the master's I should/could have earned. Still, it's never too late, and I'm seriously going to become the next Nicholas Sparks in my new phase of life as a novelist. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2403/25/2013

Earrings, caftans...

by Anonymousreply 2503/25/2013

Going to college, drinking, worked a part time job. I was a total Internet addict... nothing has changed

by Anonymousreply 2603/25/2013

Good for you, R24, and I wish you much success in your writing career. Keep us posted.

by Anonymousreply 2703/25/2013

too many drugs

not enough sex

wasn't out -- had a girlfriend

not the best year of my life at all

by Anonymousreply 2803/25/2013

That was his intention, R12.

by Anonymousreply 2903/26/2013

Junior in college (I graduated in 3 and 1/2 years - impossible today the way they fuck the schedules.)

Afternoons at the lake smoking pot and drinking with friends.

Working at Macy's in the evenings and weekends - 30 hours a week. I usually arrived stoned.

Pretending I was straight. I came out at 20 on July 4th, 1983! Hello Bananarama!!

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.