Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Frank Lloyd Wright houses.

I was watching a PBS film on the restoration of the Boynton House that was restored a little while back. The couple who bought the house spent over $800,000.00 to buy it and then over 2 million to restore it after discovering what bad shape it was in. It is now good for at least another 100 years.

Typical FLW house. They are so easy to spot once you know what he did as an architect. Very impressive.

I went to visit Fallingwater several years back and was admonished by the tour guide because I accidently brushed against a painting.

Anyone else like this sort of stuff?

by Anonymousreply 3103/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 103/24/2013

Dammit, just click on the blue box with the magnifying glass inside it on the page that comes up with the link in r1.

Sorry bout that.

by Anonymousreply 203/24/2013

The Rosenbaum House, Florence, Alabama:

by Anonymousreply 303/24/2013

Which house was it that some dude burned everyone inside alive and chopped up the few who escaped with an axe?

by Anonymousreply 403/24/2013

There's one for sale - cheap - in the North Chicago suburb of Highland Park. Traffic is icky, but most of the people are thin - ner than your average chicagoan.

by Anonymousreply 503/24/2013

Save Wright: The Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy maintains a current list of FLW properties for sale:

by Anonymousreply 603/24/2013

Isn't Fallingwater all nasty and moldy now from the moisture?

by Anonymousreply 703/24/2013

The Turkel House in Detroit was for sale about 25 yrs. ago for about $125,000. I had thought about making an offer at that time, but then thought it too risky given its location. Now I wish I had. Even if it is located in the city of Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

I do like his houses but they seem to be priced very high for what they are.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

I love the ones that include the furniture and fittings that were designed to go with the house. Also love the FLW room on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

Fallingwater was being restored when I was there. Certain areas of the house were not accessible to the hordes of tourists being guided through the house.

Looking at some of the pictures at the link at r1, I have to say that the house was not as big and roomy as those pics indicate. It felt very small to me. Of course the selling point is having that stream rushing under the place. It was so calming and restful, but then I always loved the sounds of rushing waters.

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

Here's a slide show on the refurb of the Boynton House.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

[quote]Of course the selling point is having that stream rushing under the place. It was so calming and restful, but then I always loved the sounds of rushing waters.

Doesn't the sound make you want to pee about 10 minutes?

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

I wish I had a pergola just so I could say I have a pergola.

Maybe a gazebo instead or.....maybe a pergola leading to a gazebo.

Talk about classy!

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2013

There was an FLW home in my hometown.

The town talk was that it leaked like a sieve.

Have no idea if this was true or not.

by Anonymousreply 1503/25/2013

I have been to many plays at The Dallas Theater, designed by FLW.

by Anonymousreply 1603/25/2013

R15: Wright buildings often have tricky roofs (often flat or somewhat flat with problem-fraught systems of drainage), and the construction techniques often represent a mix of cost-saving and experimental techniques. As a result, the problems of Wright buildings are so well known as to be sometimes overstated: everyone assumes a Wright building will need expensive work to stabilize ill-conceived foundations, that the roof leaks like a sieve, and that the place will be a textbook example of how concrete is not forever.

Part of the problem is that, as modern buildings, expectations are high for all the mod cons being in place and ready to move in and enjoy. A lot of Wright houses have been over-restored multiple times over when it would have been better had they found owners who were happy with what they had rather than some ideal that can't be overlaid with great success upon Wright's reality.

The frequent complaint that Wright had very specific and inflexible ideas for how each space should be used (ideas that didn't always go over well with his clients and haven't always grown more accepted with time). For me, Wright houses are always interesting but only occasionally lovely or desirable. It comes down to aesthetics and I don't like the mean, low-ceilinged spaces that are common to varying degrees throughout much of his work. His earliest houses, while regarded as less innovative, tend to be more pleasing spaces in terms of volume and scale.

by Anonymousreply 1703/25/2013

Those low ceilings were a great response to post-Victorian McMansion proportions. So many of the houses pushed on the market had junior-exec footprints with ridiculously high ceilings.

His leaky corner metal windows were adopted by many cool houses built in late 40s and 50s. You can see where many people have swapped them out with vinyl shit just for the insulation value.

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2013

I always wondered, how does the flat roof handle over time with rain and snow?

by Anonymousreply 1903/25/2013

I can see myself living in this one, r6.

Really like the ambience.

Thanks for the link.

Buy it for me? Pretty please, with a cherry on top?

by Anonymousreply 2003/25/2013

R17, I agree. I lived in a later FLW house. It was unlivable. He certainly was one of the early architects that had no idea, or did not give a damn how people actually lived. He also was typically sexist in that his kitchens and laundry areas are unusable. He clearly had no idea about what "women's work" entailed.

by Anonymousreply 2103/25/2013

Not a house, but an college campus of buildings in Central Florida designed by Wright.

Slide show opens in another window with 75 photos.

by Anonymousreply 2203/25/2013

With Wright, bigger was always better. The Susan Lawrence Dana house is wonderful. Robie House, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 2303/25/2013

FLW lived a crazy life. Really interesting personal history.

by Anonymousreply 2403/25/2013

Happy homeowners

by Anonymousreply 2503/25/2013

R4, that was Taliesin, in SW Wisconsin. I grew up and currently live 45 minutes away from there. I went there as part of a class trip in middle school, but can barely remember it. Last summer, I thought it would be a fun day trip to go back up for a tour. I looked online, and the full tour ( house, studio, grounds) was around 80 bucks. The " house only" tour wasn't much less. I like FLW, but not that much.

by Anonymousreply 2603/25/2013

Does anyone know if Frank Lloyd Wright was ever summarily dismissed from a commission?

For being an unmitigated horse's ass to his clients?

by Anonymousreply 2703/25/2013

The actress Anne Baxter was one of FLW's descendants.

by Anonymousreply 2803/25/2013

Prairie school is my favorite style of architecture. I had no idea the interiors of the later homes were so unlivable from a practical perspective.

by Anonymousreply 2903/25/2013

Ages ago a friend had a key to the Robie House, and we would get high there in the late afternoon. It was amazing to watch the light and shadows move as the sun set outside that house.

by Anonymousreply 3003/25/2013

[quote] The actress Anne Baxter was one of FLW's descendants

Yes, she was his granddaughter.

by Anonymousreply 3103/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!