Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

By request...broke Dler needs advice about security deposit

I'm a broke ass DLer. Can someone post a new thread for me or help me out here?

I moved at the beginning of the month and haven't received my security deposit back nor have I heard from or received anything from my old landlord. I live in California.

At the beginnig of February I called my landlord and told him I'd be moving by the end of the month. I also sent him a regular letter, not certified or anything, saying the same thing.

The last week of February we talked over the phone and I asked him if I could leave March 2 instead. He said fine. I moved out March 2 and left the keys where he told me to. We didn't do a walk through. We didn't meet. I didn't take pictures. Yeah, those were all dumb things on my part, I know.

In California I'm supposed to receive my deposit back 21 days after move out. If there were repairs done to my apartment I was supposed to have received an itemized breakdown of costs. I haven't received anything.

Did I reset my 30 notice clock when I asked for 2 extra days to move out? What should I do?

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013

It seems possible the law can be interpreted that if you are still on the premises the first of any month that you incur rent for that month, so by staying into the month he grabbed the security deposit as final month's rent.

by Anonymousreply 103/24/2013

Oral agreement of a two-day grace period does not abrogate the 30-day notice of leaving the premises. The 21-day deadline for receipt of the security deposit would date, in most minds, to the actual date of moving out.

Obviously you need to call the landlord and find out the situation. If any claims of deductions for cleaning and repairs are made, documentation is needed. Tell the landlord you would like to come by to pick up the check, if it is not already in the mail. Also, say you have talked to the state about California rules, because you weren't sure what they were. Be prepared to contact the office, if needed.

It is possible you are dealing with an asshole who will use your not moving out on the date written in your notice as some sort of argument to deny the deposit. It also is possible that your apparent fragile state of mind is creating an issue where there is none. (You did provide an address to send the deposit, right?)

by Anonymousreply 203/24/2013

Oh for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 303/24/2013

Thanks for starting the thread.

I did provide my new address, R2. My landlord was kind of an asshole about fixing things so I'm jumping to the conclusion that he's trying to screw me over with my security deposit. I plan on contacting him tomorrow. From what I've read online I'm now due my full deposit since it's past the 21 days. Wish me luck.

by Anonymousreply 403/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!