Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What do you think of Taylor Swift?

She's one of the most extremely popular artists performing right now. I personally like her. I like the fact that she wears clothing in her music videos and none of her music videos are about sex. I don't know too much about music. For those of you who are musicians, do you think she is talented? What are your thoughts about her?

by Anonymousreply 4406/09/2013

Vapid cunt

by Anonymousreply 103/24/2013

I like her new shit, a real surprise. It's great pop, the songs are really strong and much better than the country stuff.

She was already doing really well, outsold only by Adele, but this pop crossover took her to a new level.

As a person and live singer, well....

by Anonymousreply 203/24/2013

I like her girly dresses.

by Anonymousreply 303/24/2013

I like her Romeo & Juliet song, "Love Story." You will too. If you don't like the song, you will like underwear model Justin Gaston, who plays Romeo.

by Anonymousreply 403/24/2013

I like her music when I hear it on pop radio, but I don't buy it. However, her fugly clothing and highly public dating is really a turn off. Her brand would be better served with less visibility.

by Anonymousreply 503/24/2013

R1 hit the nail on the head.

by Anonymousreply 603/24/2013

I wish her 'team' would get the message that she could have a successful career without the juvenille pr games and fake relationships. Her biggest hurdle to being a singer only ever was her signing ability, she's at a point where she should be able to leave the bearding behind too.

by Anonymousreply 703/24/2013

What (R5) said.

I think her handlers need to rein her in if she wants to last- and she could- good songwriter with a great feel for hooks- both musically and lyrically.

Going after Tina Fey and Amy Poehler shows how crazy she is- or maybe I'm over 25 and out of her core audience.

by Anonymousreply 803/24/2013

I am not her target audience. I find her really unlikable and phony. And I can't stand her hair.

by Anonymousreply 903/24/2013

She'd be a fucking awesome ideal spokesman for us. She may not have very good singing chops but she knows her way around a muttonchop. Talk about a stubborn beard!

by Anonymousreply 1003/24/2013

I'll always like her after this video.

And I also find most of her music catchy.

by Anonymousreply 1103/24/2013

Magnificent voice, perfect pitch, spectacular phrasing. She'll be the Risë Stevens of the next generation.

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

R4 Justin Gaston is smoking. I had to wonder about his ex Miley being a lesbian as he had some strong gay rumours.

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

I always get her confused with Loretta Swit.

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2013

I've seen her in person, she didn't wow me, she has doll like hair that's perfectly in place, but she is nice. At least from what I saw.

by Anonymousreply 1503/25/2013

She'll shortly be tomorrow's Taylor Dayne.

by Anonymousreply 1603/25/2013

The greatest composer of the 21st century. Nobody can compare to her talent with lyrics and melody.

by Anonymousreply 1703/25/2013

I actually like her, and her music. (there's a few songs i dont like). Though she's over-exposed. Tim McGraw was her first hit, I heard on country radio and knew she'd be pretty huge. She appeals to many ages and crosses over well to pop. but it's not "cool" to like her, especially not on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2013

Will she ever find true love? I haven't worried this much about a star finding love since Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 1903/25/2013

She's a very talented songwriter. I think her first two albums were really strong.

To her credit, she toured incessantly and was very accessible to fans at the beginning of her career. She's far more grassroots than any other country artist of her era. People who say she's an industry creation are flat out wrong.

Her recent music seems rootless and over produced. She's certainly re-positioning herself as a pop artist and is making odd choices (seemingly by committee). Her PR is becoming a problem.

by Anonymousreply 2003/25/2013

The few songs I heard of hers earlier on were tolerable, but that 'never ever ever' song makes me envy the deaf.

by Anonymousreply 2103/25/2013

Had Taylor Swift started out ten years earlier, we wouldn't have ever heard her name. Prior to Autotune any attempt to sing would have revealed that she can't carry a tune. She would never have gotten a recording contract and would have been laughed off any stage where she attempted to sing.

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

she's an awful role model for her fans and i'd like to cut off all her hair while she's sleeping

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

I'm not a musician but I've been dj'ing in popular city bars for a few years now. TS doesn't really appeal to me and I've never had any requests for her music. I'd probably be told to turn it off if I tried to play some.

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

She can't sing LIVE = She's not a real artist.

She relies on autotune for recording tracks and singing LIVE = She's not a real artist.

by Anonymousreply 2503/26/2013

She can't carry a tune in a bucket. Totally off pitch. Some musicians refuse to work with her.

by Anonymousreply 2603/28/2013

I honestly can not name you one of her songs.

That's what I think about about her.

by Anonymousreply 2703/28/2013

Annoying bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2803/28/2013

I only low what she looks like and I honestly think she is homely. I know she isn't famous for her appearance, but rather her music. But I can't stand her face.

by Anonymousreply 2903/28/2013

Lesbian

I wonder how many more PR romances she'll have before she swears off men (and writes an album about it)?

by Anonymousreply 3003/28/2013

To be fair R25 so does everyone else. Very few don't use autotune or more accurately the new plug in Melodyne which is undetectable.

Faith Hill, considered a traditionally good vocalist says she uses it as a safety net as does her husband. And I'm talking live. However, the software doesn't work if the singer is badly off key, it has to be just like a couple of notes - hence Swift, Madonna etc.

It's also possible TS is just shit live and has a decent studio/recording voice. I think while horrific live, she's alright on record so there must be something to work with. Elvis Costello said a few years back that even with autotune the singer had to be somewhat competent, but I'm not sure if that holds now.

Many acts who sound great on record and even great singers aren't good live singers. Few are great live and studio calibre, you have stuff like the American Idol singers but shows like that have used autotune.

by Anonymousreply 3103/28/2013

Femme closet case. I relate to her, not because I am constantly heartbroken over men, but because I too come from a religious upper-middle class family and haven't the nerve to come out. Moreover, since I'm so girly, people will just tell me I haven't met the right man yet since I'm still a teenager and "lesbians look like men". As for her music, it ranges from cringe-worthy my ears are bleeding pop to confessional pseudo-folk. If I want to hear that level of desperation I'll listen to Lana Del Rey. That Marilyn-esque velvet voice kills me.

by Anonymousreply 3204/07/2013

She should date Tanya Tucker's son, Grayson.

by Anonymousreply 3304/07/2013

R31 If someone is holding a guitar and not prancing/dancing about and they still sound like crap then they can't sing regardless of what a recorded album sounds like. No one can dance and sing LIVE and well which is why no one does it hence backing vocals. Beyonce said she can sing and do cartwheels. No, she can't.

There's so much polishing that goes into albums--- it's really not like when the Beatles would just record their tracks LIVE, call it an album and that would be it.

I'm a big fan of Sarah McLachlan's early work, I like her recorded albums (not all but most) but my favorite album is her 1999 LIVE one, Mirrorball. She sang, she played the piano and she sounded good. It can be done.

"Well, everyone's doing it" is hardly a criterion for judging quality.

I do, however, believe that some artists should just not sing LIVE because they fuck it up due to nerves, lack of stage presence which affects their singing. A lot of things can affect one's voice.

by Anonymousreply 3404/07/2013

[quote]It's also possible TS is just shit live and has a decent studio/recording voice.

No. There are studio musicians who won't work with her because her voice is so awful. I've never heard of that with anyone else that equals her fame.

by Anonymousreply 3504/08/2013

She's no Heath Ledger.

I heart him.

by Anonymousreply 3604/08/2013

[reply30] You nailed it. Huge closet case. In this case a femme case, no one would ever say she's gay just cause her image it's the opposite

by Anonymousreply 3704/08/2013

She's overexposed and the tall poppy right now, so it's natural that people will try to cut her down. But the point is, she's a very nice person. A friend of mine has been in her touring band for years, and she treats her band very well, and my friend has a million stories about how kind she is. Also, a friend of mine is a waitress. She waited on Taylor and another person. It was shortly after Christmas. The other person paid, but Taylor tracked down the waitress in another part of the restaurant, gave her a hundred dollar bill, thanked her for her service and said Merry Christmas. She is genuinely thoughtful and considerate. AND: while admittedly not the best singer in the world, she's passable, and she truly is a gifted songwriter. She writes many of them by herself, and they really are well written and wonderful. But haters are gonna hate.

by Anonymousreply 3804/08/2013

She's an overexposed slut bag!

by Anonymousreply 3904/08/2013

I don't think of her.

by Anonymousreply 4004/08/2013

Taylor Swift is proof the American Billboard Awards are nothing but paid advertizing.

by Anonymousreply 4105/20/2013

I just heard her last cd for the first time. How can anyone not think that she's talented if she's capable of writing lines like this: You call me up again just to break me like a promise/ So casually cruel in the name of being honest/ I'm a crumpled up piece of paper lying here/ 'Cause I remember it all, all, all too well.

I'm a songwriter, and I can tell you that those are brilliant lines. Go ahead and hate her out of ignorance or because it's "cool" to hate her, but she's a talented writer. Her music might not be to your liking, but that doesn't mean you should be mean-spirited and hate someone that talented and good.

by Anonymousreply 4205/24/2013

R42 = Taylor Swift, pursing her lips and imagining her next bearding project.

by Anonymousreply 4306/09/2013

As much as I like her trash pop, I agree with the sentiment that bitch needs to grow up. Yeah, so you're 22 but at that age while you have fun you should start trying to get your shit together.

"22" was clearly a Ke$ha outtake and she even mimicks the vocal style, quite a 360. I can't swallow the line "make fun of our exes" from her. Nevertheless it's a great pop album, opening track "State of Grace" is one of her best songs.

r35 I can believe that. She really is atrocious live in every performance I've seen and she gives high profile awards ones as well so I'm surprised she's gotten away with it. I felt sorry for Stevie Nicks in one, even Madonna sounds more on pitch. Like JLo she owes her career to Autotune. But I do think Swift sounds alright on record.

I think some disputed her songwriting credits - many were self compositions, so she must have done something. She didn't reach the status of a Beyonce in the beginning to be able to get fake credits, but that smoke and mirrors is part of the industry. Being seen to write your own songs is somehow more important today and gives artistic credence.

by Anonymousreply 4406/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.