Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tina Turner's getting married!

Turner rumored to wed longtime partner of twenty seven years, Erwin Bach.

Will Oprah be a bridesmaid? Ann Margaret, Cher? Elton?

Will Beyonce perform at the nuptials?

by Anonymousreply 7011/13/2013

Wedding bells are in toll for Tina Turner, 73, who will marry longtime German boyfriend and record exec, Erwin Bach, after a 27-year courtship.

A Swiss tabloid called Blick reports that Turner and Bach will marry sometime this year. The ceremony will be an all-white affair, and is said to take place on the lake of Zürich. Turner has commissioned Chefs Rico Zandonella and Horst Petermann from her favorite restaurant Rico’s Kunststuben to provide the reception dishes.

Tina and Erwin met in 1986 in Germany when she was on tour and Erwin was an executive at her label EMI. Bach has proposed to her in the past, but Tina has publically said she would never marry again (after her first husband Ike Turner’s infamous abuse). Now it seems she’s had a change of heart!

by Anonymousreply 103/24/2013

Whatever. She renounced her American citizenship, essentially giving an enormous 'FUCK YOU' to millions of people who've loved her and made her rich, famous and beloved for her entire life.

Good for her but I can't cheer for her anymore, nor will I bother to pay for any more of her music.

by Anonymousreply 203/24/2013

Okay, but who's her GF?

by Anonymousreply 303/24/2013

r3, you sound unhinged.

live her life.

by Anonymousreply 403/24/2013

R2, Tina was always a bigger star in Europe than she was in the US, the success of Private Dancer notwithstanding. She doesn't owe you, me or anyone else anything just because she was born here. Get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 503/24/2013

I didn't say she did R5, but I sure as hell have a valid right to allow that to sway my opinion of her, and it did.

And no, she was never insanely more popular in Europe than here. I lived in Europe in college and was there during my late teens before coming home, I realize how famous she was.

by Anonymousreply 603/24/2013

I'd renounce my citizenship if I were as financially flexible as she is!

by Anonymousreply 703/24/2013

Good for her! Hope it works out better than the first marriage did. :-)

by Anonymousreply 803/24/2013

How did she fuck Americans by renouncing her citizenship? I mean, he actually has lived in Europe for years and years. It's not like became a citizen of Monaco for tax purposes.

by Anonymousreply 903/24/2013

I don't understand these people who don't get married until after they've been together almost 30 years. What's the point now?

by Anonymousreply 1003/24/2013

[quote]What's the point now?

Impending death. One of them my be terminally ill.

People do this all the time.

Marriage make inheritance so much easier.

by Anonymousreply 1103/24/2013

Tina was huge in Europe (especially the UK & Germany) around '81-'82, before her "Private Dancer" success in the US, and her concerts continued to be sell-outs long after her US popularity waned.

by Anonymousreply 1203/24/2013

Congratulations! She's earned it.

by Anonymousreply 1303/24/2013

I've never understood people waiting until the end of time to get married (unless there are extenuating circumstances, like long-standing gay partners in a newly legal union, etc.) Nevertheless, I'm sure they have their reasons, and I can certainly understand Tina being hesitant about marriage, so: mazel tov!

by Anonymousreply 1403/24/2013

What country did she become a citizen of, France or Switzerland?

by Anonymousreply 1503/24/2013

R15, Switzerland. Her main residence is in Zurich, and she has a fabulous hilltop villa in Villefranche-sur-Mer on the French Riviera.

by Anonymousreply 1603/24/2013

One thing I think is pathetic is that Tina never bothered learning French or German after decades of living in France and Switzerland. How are you going to live in a country that speaks a different language and then not bother to learn it? It's kind of rude and lazy.

by Anonymousreply 1703/24/2013

I'm sure she speaks enough of both languages to function, r17. Stop trying to create reasons to hate the woman since your little citizenship hissy fit didn't take off.

by Anonymousreply 1803/24/2013

It's Ann-Margret. No third syllable in Margret.

by Anonymousreply 1903/24/2013

R18 She said herself in an interview about 5 years ago that she can't speak either. BTW, I'm not the poster who complained about her citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 2003/24/2013

R17 Tina has Fuck-Off money. If she does not want to learn French or Schwyzertüütsch then she does not have to. It is not like she is dependent upon the Swiss for her income.

by Anonymousreply 2103/24/2013

R10, my partner and I wed after being together for thirty years, primarily because we could. At the time, we both thought our marriage would be basically symbolic, an aid in handling matters of inheritance, etc, and a relatively discrete political statement to our rural community.

The fact is, R10, being legally married is surprisingly, though subtly different from both being informally ltr/partnered and/or in a registered domestic partnership. "Married is married" is the best way I can put it; perhaps its being less easily dissolved, especially at the times of stress and mutual disenchantment faced by every couple in a long-term relationship, is the difference.

Most interesting to me, however, was (in truth, ongoing) the reactions from our families, heterosexual married friends, business associates, and especially casual local community acquaintances. Although we were in no way ever "closeted", and our partnership never (at least openly) disrespected, our legal status as "married" seems to have made a perceptible difference in easing others' comfort levels in directly addressing our couplehood.

Has that, in itself, made any difference in our relationship? It most certainly, in ways often impossible to define, has.

by Anonymousreply 2203/24/2013

Erwin Bach is smart. He knows she is gonna kick the bucket soon and all the money will be left to him.

by Anonymousreply 2303/24/2013

R21 That's not the point asshole. If you're going to not only move to another country, but also get citizenship in another country, try to learn the fucking most used language there.

by Anonymousreply 2403/24/2013

21: Take you meds hon'. Please. We might have to do an intervention.

Lol. What a drama queen!

Who cares where she lives, what passport she has, and what language (s) she wants to speak. I repeat: who the fuck cares? Great singer, great dancer, and now she can spend the rest of her life doing what she wants to do in peace.

Sweet. Go Tina!

by Anonymousreply 2503/24/2013

Tina Turner wouldn't be caught dead with Oprah or Beyonce or anyone of color breathing the same air as she.

by Anonymousreply 2603/24/2013

Tina said many times in interviews that upon coming to France for the first time in her life her color wasn't an issue anymore, and that she never wanted to go back to the USA. She renounced her US citizenship because Americans are fucking racists, period.

by Anonymousreply 2703/24/2013

The fanqueen R25's head is about to EXPLODE if you bitches don't stop talking about her idol.

I mean, how's R25 supposed to keep turning coin with her 'Tina' impersonation down at the drag bar if you bitches don't love the real thing?!

by Anonymousreply 2803/24/2013

She's doing this for tax purposes which is exactly the reason she took citenzenship. She's been learning German for awhile now, and she said years ago that she knew enough to get by.

After all Tina's been through, she can do whatever the fuck she wants.

by Anonymousreply 2903/24/2013

Tina ain't the drama queen but her fans and enemies on this thread certainly fill that category. How dare she (a) renounce her citizenship, (b) live in another country and not be fluent, (c) marry someone after living together all these years - they must be geezers waiting to croak!!!

I'm sure Tina is so worried about what DL says about her!!

by Anonymousreply 3003/24/2013

Do Swiss residents pay less taxes than Americans?

by Anonymousreply 3103/24/2013

Big friggin deal if Tina Turner doesn't want to live in the U.S. If she's happy in Switzerland--well then, good for her.

Years ago, I met an Italian and considered moving to Rome. I didn't, and as an American, I'm happy here. But live where you want to live and where you find contentment, happiness or love.

It's not like the U.S. isn't going to succeed without Tina Turner or anyone else who may choose to live elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 3203/24/2013

[quote]I don't understand these people who don't get married until after they've been together almost 30 years. What's the point now?

She's pregnant. Wants the baby to have a real at-home father.

by Anonymousreply 3303/24/2013

Is she a Republican?

by Anonymousreply 3403/24/2013

[quote]Tina said many times in interviews that upon coming to France for the first time in her life her color wasn't an issue anymore, and that she never wanted to go back to the USA. She renounced her US citizenship because Americans are fucking racists, period.

Exactly. Same with Nina Simone. Why live in a country with a little over 200 years since slavery and all the asshole racism that follows when you can live in a country where no one cares if you're black? She deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 3503/24/2013

Hm. Anna Mae needed her a little publicity is all. She's always been ready to shake her personal life at people to get a little more bread on her table.

And if you've seen her ass lately, you can see that she's eating plenty of bread.

Poor Tina? Yeah. And poor Ike.

by Anonymousreply 3603/24/2013

it will definitely be an all white affair

by Anonymousreply 3703/24/2013

I don't Switzerland and France are any less racist than America. Neither country will be electing a black President anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 3803/24/2013

Electing a black president means jackshit re: everyday racism.

by Anonymousreply 3903/24/2013

Europe is loaded with neo-nazi and white nationalist groups strongly opposed to non-white immigration. Not much better than the US.

by Anonymousreply 4003/24/2013

Tina! Bring me the mothafuckin pickaxe!

by Anonymousreply 4103/24/2013

She's straight? Holy shit.

by Anonymousreply 4203/24/2013

The link is to the April 2013 issue of Tina on German Vogue. For me, she just doesn't look very well.

by Anonymousreply 4303/24/2013

Good for her. She was born in the late 1930s in the south, when Blacks were being lynched from trees and racism was strong thanks to the KKK. Then she met Ike, and suffered for roughly 20 years, while he was coked up and beating the shit out of her. He sued her to take away her professional name when she left him and, thankfully, she won, but that was all she had.

With the way she was treated here, I can see why she wouldn't miss her citizenship. I'm really glad things worked out with this man for her. She deserves it. She's retired now and enjoying the good life. Apparently, she's still a practicing Buddhist, which she credits for saving her life.

by Anonymousreply 4403/25/2013

Her color wasn't an issue in France = she was rich, famous and black.

by Anonymousreply 4503/25/2013

[quote]I don't Switzerland and France are any less racist than America. Neither country will be electing a black President anytime soon.

When's America going to?

When's America going to elect a woman?

by Anonymousreply 4603/25/2013

[44] EXACTLY! I drove through the place she was born, and saw the life she lived as a youngster, and it was not great though her parents loved her for sure.

It was the birthplace of the KKK, Nutbush had one long sideroad, a brick house sitting in many hundreds of acres of cotton. She didnt live in the brick house either, hers was a wood shotgun bldg. That damn cotton tore up that tiny beautiful childs hands. She walked miles to get to church or the genl store,how nice do you think they were to her family? I met the store guy before he died, nice enough to a white person - lots to say - but you know it was another story for her, her family and friends.

The agrarian poverty remains there and is utterly tragic and shocking. Young people still do that work. That is the story of racism in America, and it is NOT over.

She went from a sharecropper farmhand existence to being enslaved in domestic battering with IKE.

She escaped that too. It took her a long time to trust again and love.

Her decision is totally understandable, esp given the gross acceptance of racism against Obama. Horrid and finally cements Americas place as 15th inthe world for upward mobility and f***ing racism.

I hope it is for tax purposes too.

Tina Rocks, and she deserves whatever she wants. My heart is broken that this country cannot behave better and more kindly, we lost her for that.

by Anonymousreply 4703/25/2013

Thank you r47. Spot on.

r2, maybe you should redirect some of you anger at the issues that lead people like Tina Turner to make those decisions.

Do you even give a fuck that America is one of the most back ass-wards racist countries in the "Civilized" world?

Perhaps people should wake up and see what the intolerance and racist bullshit is costing this country.

by Anonymousreply 4803/25/2013

You have to admire how Tina Turner grew beyond all those nasty barriers, including an abusive husband, and became a celebrated celebrity. I wish her well.

by Anonymousreply 4903/25/2013

R17, Tina Turner speaks fluent German.

by Anonymousreply 5003/26/2013

"Tina Turner to relinquish U.S. citizenship"

by Anonymousreply 5111/13/2013

So, she's a Swiss chick now.

by Anonymousreply 5211/13/2013

Is she a homophobe?

by Anonymousreply 5311/13/2013

She is so freakin' over-rated

by Anonymousreply 5411/13/2013

Like Diana Ross, Aretha and Gladys, Tina has completely ignored her gay fans over the years. The only old-school black divas who acknowledge their gay fans are Patti LaBelle and Dionne Warwick.

by Anonymousreply 5511/13/2013

Don't mess with The Tina!

by Anonymousreply 5611/13/2013

r2 is just fucking strange. Seriously, why would you care?

by Anonymousreply 5711/13/2013

I think Diana acknowledged her gay fans with "I'm Coming Out".

And Gladys Knight sung with Dionne on "That's What Friends Are For" in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 5811/13/2013

Diana is known to be homophobic. She didn't even want to sing "I'm Coming Out" when she found out what is was about.

Stevie Wonder also sang on TWFAF and he's recently made some anti-gay comments. I'll give Gladys a pass since she never appealed to gays to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 5911/13/2013

[quote] I'll give Gladys a pass since she never appealed to gays to begin with.

All Sangers have gay fans.

by Anonymousreply 6011/13/2013

Boycultute posted a pic today and Miss Tina looks like a Jackson. Lay off the surgery, lady.

by Anonymousreply 6111/13/2013

Nile Rodgers has spoken about how he sold Ross on "I'm Coming Out" by emphasising the personal relevance (I think she was newly single, working with non-Motown producers etc.) and de-emphasising the gay significance. He apparently was inspired to write it after standing next to a drag queen at a urinal.

Of course, by the 90s Ross was covering "I Will Survive" and having drag queens (incl. Rupaul) in the music video.

by Anonymousreply 6211/13/2013

R55 stevie Wonder didn't say anything anti-gay, he just brought up the possibility that Frank Ocean might just be confused. Stevie's blind so he might have a different understanding of sexuality.

Prince is the raging homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 6311/13/2013

Why would Wonder even venture an opinion on something so personal?

by Anonymousreply 6411/13/2013

I cannot cope with all of this negativity.

Nam myoho renge kyo.....

by Anonymousreply 6511/13/2013

Gladys Knight is definitely not homophobic. See R74 on this thread

by Anonymousreply 6611/13/2013

^ I meant R76

by Anonymousreply 6711/13/2013

Well, she IS a Mormon.

by Anonymousreply 6811/13/2013

[quote]Is she a homophobe?

Most likely. I don't think Tina has EVER even said the word "gay" publicly, let alone give a shout out to her gay fans in any kind of way.

Maybe she was just too busy playing Uncle Tom, kissing white peoples' asses.

by Anonymousreply 6911/13/2013

I's married now.

I said...I's MARRIED now!

by Anonymousreply 7011/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!