Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Paroled would-be assassin Sara Jane Moore speaks!

"I wanted to know where *I* was coming from!"

I'm disappointed she doesn't still wear her fabulous 70s liberated hausfrau clothes.

by Anonymousreply 1604/04/2013

Ford was as benign as a president could be yet he attracted two would-be assassins.

by Anonymousreply 103/24/2013

There was so much craziness in California in the late 60s and 1970s, and it was all interconnected: Squeaky Fromme, Sara Jane Moore, the Symbionese Liberation Army, the Manson family, 90% of the Watergate conspirators, Howard Jarvis and Proposition 13...

by Anonymousreply 203/24/2013

The Florida of its day, R2.

by Anonymousreply 303/24/2013

I beg your pardon, r2?

by Anonymousreply 403/24/2013

Thanks, OP. Very bizarre interview. Here's this kind, frauish looking old lady who looks and speaks like she just retired from the customer relations department of the Longaberger Basket factory, yet several feet separated a bullet from a gun shot by her and an American President.

What Lauer should have asked is if she regrets that she missed.

by Anonymousreply 503/24/2013

She's actually said before she regrets having fired the shot, and that she totally understood that she had to be kept in jail until Gerald Ford actually died, given the danger she represented to him.

by Anonymousreply 603/24/2013

I thought Ms Moore did a good job in that interview, Matt Lauer came off as an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 703/24/2013

I grew up in California during the era. I didn't remember this until I just looked it up now, but the assassination attempts took place within 17 days of each other.

God the '70s were wacky times here. The Patty Hearst kidnapping took up about 15 - 20 min. of the nightly newscasts. The SLA demanded a food giveaway from the Hearsts in Oakland that was so ill-conceived it turned into a riot. It was madness. I remember the live coverge when the LAPD burned down the SLA hideout, killing most of its members. It was nightmarish stuff for a kid to watch.

Governor Moonbeam, medfly spraying, and the East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer was loose.

by Anonymousreply 803/24/2013

Such a dear. I am meeting Miss Moore for brunch at the Top of the Mark. So much to catch up on.

by Anonymousreply 903/24/2013

Interesting responses to an interview that took place several years ago.

As a former journalist, the author of her biography and one who communicated with her for the 30 years she was in prison, I have to tell you that interview with Matt Lauer was hardly a journalist star. When he asked Moore why she shot at Ford and she said if she hadn't, someone else would have, what would you ask next? Who? Did anyone notice he just went on and never followed up on that issue.

I'll tell you why this was such a softball interview: Sara Jane will NOT discuss her background, her family, the children she abandoned and the family she denied. She sets preconditions on all public interviews.

She tried the same thing with me, however I researched her background, found the family members she denied having and interviewed all of them. Her story is not what she wants people to know about.

Geri Spieler, author "Taking Aim At The President: The Remarkable Story Of The Woman Who Shot At Gerald Ford,"

by Anonymousreply 1004/03/2013

She was married and divorced 5 times. She was supposedly a radical lefty but she was an FBI informant. That says something about her stability.

She is exactly the type the FBI and CIA use. People like Jack Ruby, Lee Harvey Oswald, Clay Shaw. Unstable people who are easily disposable to either a grave, a jail or a mental institution.

by Anonymousreply 1104/04/2013

Wasn't paraquat also a 1970s California thing? They openly sprayed it in Mexico and secretly sprayed it in CA.

by Anonymousreply 1204/04/2013

[quote]Ford was as benign as a president could be yet he attracted two would-be assassins.

That is what happens when you pick Nelson Rockefeller to be your vice-president.

by Anonymousreply 1304/04/2013

Assassinating presidents and presidential candidates was all the rage from 1963-1981.

by Anonymousreply 1404/04/2013

The issue about two people trying to assassinate Ford was totally circumstantial.

Re Squeaky Fromme, her only intent was getting arrested to hopefully give Charlie Manson another public platform. He was in prison at the time and Squeaky took an unloaded gun to Sacramento to wave around. Obviously the Secret Service don't hesitate to find out whether her intent is serious or not.

Re Moore. If Ford had not come to San Francisco, history would be different. He was there, she was there and she worked with Tribal Thumb to make it happen. She was serious, she did not action alone and her bullet missed his head by six inches because the site was off on the gun she bought that morning.

Geri Spieler, author of Taking Aim At The President: The Remarkable Story Of The Woman Who Shot At Gerald Ford.

by Anonymousreply 1604/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!