Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Memory memory who's got a memory

Today when I was at the grocery store, three people said hello to me and I didn't know who they were. I was going to come to DL and explain they had all obviously mistaken me for a glamorous celebrity....

But by the time I got home an hour later, I remembered that I had met and had a conversation with all three of these people in the last two days and I didn't remember them at all.

There was the Indian girl at the store who saw I was reading a book about India and wanted to know what it was. There was the dog owner who was walking his adorable spaniel Penny past my home. He had beautiful, mesmerizing eyes and we had a conversation about restaurant circulars. And there was the guy by the subway. All three of them were at the grocery store today, and they were all dressed differently (the beautiful guy wasn't wearing his cap revealing a shocking head of orange-red hair), and I treated all three of them like they were from Mars.

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2013

You sound as if you have early-onset dementia/Alzheimers. Depending upon your age, that is.

Or you are very egocentric.

by Anonymousreply 103/23/2013

How old are you OP? 97 or 98?

by Anonymousreply 203/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 303/23/2013

I like your Samuel Beckett writing style, hun. Keep it up.

by Anonymousreply 403/23/2013

If you are having problems with your memory, you DO NOT want to take the stand to testify in the Jodi Arias trial.

by Anonymousreply 503/23/2013

That happens to me too, OP -- I'm over 65 now, but I've always been bad at recognizing people & even worse at remembering names.

So when someone says "hello" & I have no idea who they are, I just reply in kind, with a smile. I don't want to hurt their feelings, but I also don't want to make it worse by becoming embroiled in conversation as if I actually had an inkling about who the hell I'm talking to.

by Anonymousreply 603/23/2013

r5 Did he say he wanted to testify at the JA trial? He's not saying that, sir. I'm not asking you what you think he said, I'm asking if he said that?

by Anonymousreply 703/23/2013

Oops. Saw Penny again. Owner has dark hair, so the orange hair guy must have been a random crazy who thought I was someone else. But both of them had beautiful eyes.

by Anonymousreply 803/25/2013

OP, you need to perfect the startled out a lost-in-deep-thoughts look...and learn to use it liberally.

by Anonymousreply 903/25/2013

I'm teaching, and I'm at the point where I can't remember who is in the class if I pass them on the street, much less the students from last year.

by Anonymousreply 1003/25/2013

It's called sometimers. It happens from time to time...

by Anonymousreply 1103/25/2013

Don't yell at me, I'm not a shill. My memory is crap so I signed up for Lumosity (I didn't realize it's super heavily advertised until afterward.)

One exercise is all about remembering names and faces. I'm awful at it, but getting better. The scenario is that you're taking orders at a cafe and you have to remember the customers' names and orders.

Another one shows you colored tiles and you have to remember where they were. First three, then four, five.. I can get six most of the time, seven every so often, eight pretty much never. Frustrating because I know there are probably 6-year-olds who could get a zillion in a row.

I subscribed but there are some free games. Worth checking out. Other things they measure are speed, flexibility, problem-solving, one other that I can't remember (see, bad memory.)

by Anonymousreply 1203/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 1303/25/2013

^R13 obviously forgot what he was going to say.

by Anonymousreply 1403/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.