Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How high should I aim in life as a result of the glass ceiling?

Being a minority, even in America, sucks. There are many jobs that I'm barred from and it's something that's not spoken. It's just quite simply I think the majority of Americans wouldn't care for what I have to say. I don't blame them. I've accepted the fact that it may just be human nature.

I've almost completely given up on trying to fit into the mainstream. I just never will. There's no use in denying.

Now, I'm more focused on things that I can attain like money. I searched up the richest people on Forbes and found quite a few minorities like Oprah Winfrey and David Sun who made the Billionaire's list.

I don't really care how hard I have to work as long as I can earn a lot of money. Do you think there will be more glass ceilings for me if I'm only going to make money and not try to do anything political or publish novels on social reform.

If you were in healthcare, could a minority change the structure on a national level? Would it be feasible?

All thoughts are welcome.

by Anonymousreply 1703/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 103/23/2013

If all you care about is making money, it doesn't really matter, does it?

by Anonymousreply 203/23/2013

No R2, I'm only into money now, because I can't succeed in other fields. I'm no longer focusing on what I can't do, but on what I can do.

by Anonymousreply 303/23/2013

Go into Forex day trading.

There is a great trading forum called Forex Factory.

Trade from your computer and make unlimited money if you are good.

No one will even know you are a minority behind a computer screen.

You can open an account for less then a $500.

by Anonymousreply 403/23/2013

OP your post is too vague. You're a "minority" ok, so what kind of a minority? There are ethnic minorities, religious minorities, sexual minorities, physically abled minorities, etc.

What jobs do you feel you are barred from?

by Anonymousreply 503/23/2013

R5, I'm an ethnic minority. I feel like any job that involve creativity and social reform like politics I will most likely not be able to well in.

Just correct my post at R2 what I meant by not succeeding in other fields-I mean fields where you have a lot of power like politics.

by Anonymousreply 603/23/2013

I really hope that making lots of money like Oprah Winfrey and David Sun would be possible for us although, it would take more hard work but it doesn't matter as long as it's possible.

by Anonymousreply 703/23/2013

[quote]I'm an ethnic minority. I feel like any job that involve creativity and social reform like politics I will most likely not be able to well in.

I think America is changing and the barriers are falling, if not slowly. An African American is President, you know.

Be good at what you love, dress sharp, be clean cut and you can go far no matter what your ethnicity is. It helps even more if you are a man.

by Anonymousreply 803/23/2013

OP, take a closer look at the Forbes Billionaires List ... and by that I mean the global one, not the American one. You'll quickly see that ethnic minorities are rapidly starting to dominate it, from Brazilian oil magnates to wealthy Chinese & Indians to oil-rich Nigerians and Middle Easterners. There's nothing stopping you from going to work for a multinational corporation and requesting a move overseas.

That said, I'd have to question your premise that there are jobs you're "barred from" as a minority. A number of high-paying fields, particularly for recent MBA and J.D. grads, are taking great *pains* to hire minorities, because they're increasingly afraid that being viewed as a bastion of white-male privilege will hinder them when it comes to success in an increasingly globalized economy. Affirmative action is still alive and well in these fields; a black friend of mine, who got into a top-10 law school even with a subpar LSAT score and a GPA, recently graduated and started work at one of the highest-profile law firms in D.C., even though his law school performance wasn't particularly impressive, either.

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2013

[quote]If you were in healthcare, could a minority change the structure on a national level?

by Anonymousreply 1003/23/2013

Where the heck do you live OP? Rural Alaska? In New York City, at least, there are minorities working on behalf of social reform in all of the non-profit organizations, Same goes for the creative professions. Maybe you just need to relocate? I worked for many years for one prominent publisher and management bent over backwards looking for minority employees. In the end what matters is competence, not the color of your skin.

by Anonymousreply 1103/23/2013

The glass ceiling exists only if you let it.

by Anonymousreply 1203/23/2013

OP, you sound like you think you can just turn your hand to any profession. Yes there is inequality, but at the same time, if you're exemplary at what you do, the odds of you being successful are higher.

Also - jobs involving creativity vary alot. Hollywood film producer is probably less racially diverse than, say, literary departments for off-broadway theatres.

by Anonymousreply 1303/23/2013

I don't understand why you would adjust your aim just because there is a glass ceiling for certain minorities in certain jobs. Just aim for the top and settle for whatever you get. A minority can still gain a position of power, it just might be more difficult in certain situations.

by Anonymousreply 1403/23/2013

Stop whining. Go and do.

by Anonymousreply 1503/24/2013

The best way to become filthy rich is to come frmo a filthy rich family.

How are you doing on that front, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1603/24/2013

OP, you shouldn't sell yourself short. There's no glass ceiling that's impenetrable, and it's only when potential trailblazers start complaining that they become helpless (remember Hillary in '08?).

by Anonymousreply 1703/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!