Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Canada To Create WORK for WELFARE program targeted at Native Canadians.

The Canadian government wants to ensure that young Aboriginal recipients of income assistance "who can work have the incentive to participate in the training necessary for them to gain employment."

The budget sets up something called a First Nations Job Fund – a total of a little more than $20 million a year for five years. That fund is supposed to provide personalized training for "these recipients." And, the budget document adds, "their income assistance benefits will depend on participation in training as per current practice in their province of residence."

Translation, these welfare recipients have to WORK for their welfare, or else risk being cut-off of welfare completely.

by Anonymousreply 2306/12/2013

Steal a people's land, marginalize their culture, and then make them wage slaves.

They'd probably be happier fishing, asshole at r1.

by Anonymousreply 203/23/2013

Mike Harris tried this in the 90s in Ontario

It was an utter failure.

by Anonymousreply 303/23/2013

In my province in Canada the welfare requirements are extremely unfair, imo. For example, to be eligible for welfare you must: 1) do a 5 week documented work search. Given that welfare is by definition an emergency social assistance for those in desperate financial need who have no source of income, the 5 week work search requirement means people will likely be homeless by the time they are able to receive any money. Thus, although the work search is promoted as a requirement for recipients to look for work it is in fact a way to reduce the number of people who can access welfare. 2) go through a complicated administrative process (effectively weeding out people who are not that smart/capable of figuring out complicated processes 3) must show a 2 year "independance test" that you have worked independantly for 2 years (discriminates against younger people who may not have been in the work force for 2 years). 4) are not allowed ever, under any circumstances or for any reason to quit a job or be fired (only allowed to be laid off) 5) you are treated like garbage and routinely investigated like a criminal to destroy people's self-esteem 6) you get a measly $600 a month, lower than the cheapest available bachelor suite and on par with a room rental in a filthy house with strangers you don't know. There is no money left for food, etc. 7) did I mention that after making sure you don't have enough money even to cover the lowest available rent they investigate and harrass people to make sure they have no other sources of income. 8) The political party responsible for these rules is about to be kicked to the curb in the next election. I hope they all end up on welfare.

by Anonymousreply 503/23/2013

R5, Which province you live in?

And what R3 said

by Anonymousreply 603/23/2013

We should have completely assimilated the Indians, or natives or first nations or whatever the fuck they have decided to call themselves this week.

Our Indians here in Canada get government assistance and money from cradle to grave... TONS of it from the federal govt. I have an acquaintance, red haired, green eyed, last name O'Brian, he gets a Indian Status card because ONE of his Grandmothers had been half Metis ( thats a french/Indian mix btw). So he pays no tax, gets a living allowance govt cheque over $1300 every month, gets subsidized one bedroom + solarium apt. in downtown Toronto for $149/month , free dental, perscriptions, eyecare , plus if he visits his folks in northern Quebec and wants to see a Doctor for ANY reason, he gets to fly for free to and from medical and dental appts.

he also gets free University education, more money for starting up business, money for moving expenses anytime he wants to a list of other things that even he finds ridiculous!

They even have a "two-spirited" ( gay Indian) and a myriad of govt agenmcies for Indians , whose sole purpose is to try to keep track of what benefits they have and even suggesting he takes some like a free trip to the gay games Amsterdam as a "Native Representative" ... he found one the funniest because he's about 300 lb, red-haired drag queen , who can't throw a ball to save his life.

Indians can also get free gender re-assignment surgery, ( he declined but knows people who have gone F to M back to F all for free.

Of course he hates this new idea of a works program for natives....

I like most Canadians have always assumed the Indians lived lives of poverty, disease, and hopelessness. Having known my friend for the past 6 years I cannot believe how much he is entitled to and how easy it is. The only natives living in poverty are the stupid ones and the rest of the tribe maintains them as "poster children"n for the rest of the world., as he likes to say.

Oh yeah, and if I married the fat lazy bastard ... as his spouse I instantly get a "Native status " and all the exact benefits.

by Anonymousreply 703/23/2013

The only stipulation should be that none of the natives drink, ever. That has been the killer of American natives as well, especially the Sioux.

Also, sugar should be discussed because it destroys native lives as well. This all may sound 'Nanny State' to some of you but booze is like heroin addiction to natives and ruins them completely. Sugar kills them just a bit more slowly.

And yes, one can be blonde and blue-eyed and have significant native genes. Those European genes are very strong. But the native heritag will always show up in the teeth.

by Anonymousreply 803/23/2013

R6 - British Columbia

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2013

BTW, I'm describing general welfare policies in British Columbia, not those specific to Aboriginals.

by Anonymousreply 1003/23/2013

Canadian too. I support the idea in principle. Skeptical about how it works. I do feel the First Nations need to take some part in sorting themselves out. But they've been badly treated for tens of generations. It's a tricky problem. I don't know if it will ever be solved.

by Anonymousreply 1103/23/2013

Canadian government ties training to welfare for natives on reserve.

The Harper government will provide job-training money to first nations that agree to force young people on social-assistance to take part in skills-development programs – a new initiative that critics compare to workfare.

The federal budget released Thursday provides $109-million over five years for what the government describes as “personalized skills development.”

The Harper government will provide job-training money to first nations that agree to force young people on social-assistance to take part in skills-development programs – a new initiative that critics compare to workfare.

The federal budget released Thursday provides $109-million over five years for what the government describes as “personalized skills development.”

But Derek Nepinak, the Grand Chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs, said the program will just foster misconceptions and misunderstandings about the first nations.

“I hope that people stand up,” said Mr. Nepinak, who pointed out that some first nations in his province have declared jurisdiction over the resources on their ancestral lands. That has created conflict, he said, “and that’s going to have to escalate, unfortunately, until real results start to show themselves.”

The Conservative government promised the Assembly of First Nations that it would consult extensively to create a new fiscal relationship, Mr. Nepinak said. But the skills-training program is “just appallingly poor policy and a miscalculation and a misunderstanding of what the reality is.”

Thomas Mulcair, the Leader of the New Democrats, described the measure as a workfare program and a slap in the face to first nations. “It’s insulting, it’s paternalistic,” said Mr. Mulcair. “It’s a sop to [Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s] Reform Party base and it plays to the worst prejudices against first nations.”

Shawn Atleo, the National Chief of the AFN, has declared education the top priority for native people. The AFN points to a “discriminatory funding gap” in which first nations receive significantly less, per student, than the provinces and territories pay to educate other Canadian children.

That gap is not addressed in this budget. The only nod to on-reserve education is the promise of a draft, later this year, of a new First Nations Education Act aimed at improving the deplorable graduation rates from reserve schools.

Mr. Atleo noted that the budget makes reference to first nations in almost every section, which he said suggests their concerns are beginning to be heard in Ottawa.

“But the investment just isn’t there,” Mr. Atleo said in a statement. “Gaps in critical funding and supports must be addressed – this is part of our work to transform the fiscal relationship and we will be unrelenting in achieving this as a foundation for reconciliation, justice and prosperity for first nations and for Canada.”

The budget does provide an additional $5-million both this year and next for a program called Indspire, which provides scholarships and bursaries for postsecondary training and an additional million dollars a year for a program run by Cape Breton University that studies aboriginal business.

by Anonymousreply 1203/23/2013

That's interesting that it's tied to being on reserves. It's absolutely workfare, because in the areas where the reserves are, they have trouble filling minimum wage jobs.

Native and non-Native get the fuck out of those hellholes as soon as possible.

I agree with the poster above re: welfare rates. They are nowhere near a living amount and force people into dangerous living situations. Disability programs are the same. They also force people to cheat the system in order to survive.

There are people who gain a lot by fraud, but they are usually criminals in the first place. Most of the "cheats" have no choice.

by Anonymousreply 1303/23/2013

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for one day.

Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in the boat and drink beer all day.

by Anonymousreply 1403/23/2013

Okay, first, most reserves are far, far, far away from jobs. And most Natives on the rez don't have or can't afford cars to get to those non-existent jobs.

Secomd, welfare rates on reserves are significantly lower than the rest of the country.

Third, racism is huge in areas surrounding reserves. It's hard to find work when the people in charge hate you and tell you to your face.

And corruption on reserves is ridiculous. Chiefs and their staff STEAL all the band funds - the government should be auditing those thieving fucks. A lot of chiefs should be imprisoned right now. That money should be going towards education and counselling, rehab, etc. to help folks get on their feet and out of their poverty and issues. But all the money gets siphoned and stolen.

by Anonymousreply 1503/23/2013

Here we go with the racism again. first nation person in canada uses tax payers money. In payers use our money. 150 years ago a trust fund was started for our people. The money put into the trust fund is money made from the resources on our land. It was an agreement with the Queen and Canada. There shuld be billions in this trust fund but the government put it in general revenue. The canadian government has kept our people oppressed for one reason take our land and resources. Canada could never pay back what is legally, in a white mans court of law, owed to us. For years the government has been stealing our money. This attitude and racism has to stop. The sad thing is......the government of canada has been stealing everyones money. Instead of being racist....maybe you might want to find out the facts and work with us to save this beautiful land. The land our ancestors have inhabited for thousands of years without destroying it.

by Anonymousreply 1606/12/2013

A little off topic, but you'll get the gist.

My 3rd year of university, I was taking a Native Studies class. I can't remember how we got onto the topic, but a Native girl in class started lamenting about how she had it so 'hard' because she had to get a job to pay for her books. Everything else was paid for, mind you. My hand and plenty of other hands immediately went up. We go into student loan debt, work one or two jobs, live at home or with multiple roomates and we're supposed to feel bad for them? I don't think so. I say enough with the handouts and start making them work.

by Anonymousreply 1706/12/2013

Are Native Canadians another name for Eskimos?

by Anonymousreply 1806/12/2013

What do native teeth look like?

by Anonymousreply 1906/12/2013

No, r18, but some might be Eskimos.

Did you also know that they subsist almost entirely on a diet of Klondike bars?

by Anonymousreply 2006/12/2013

You know history doesn't work like that, R16 (if you were being serious at all). There is no 'our land', once you lose it, it's gone for good.

I highly doubt this will change much for Native people, or address unemployment. What does unemployment look like for Native Canadians?

by Anonymousreply 2106/12/2013

Native Canadians are actually just Asians like all other Native Americans. Asians.

by Anonymousreply 2206/12/2013

This has a map of the Asian immigration into the USA & CAN - interesting.

by Anonymousreply 2306/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!