Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Canada's Northwest Territory.

Has anyone ever been or lived here? What's it like? It seems bleak.

by Anonymousreply 1203/23/2013

Been to Whitehorse. It's a little town. But feels bigger. The mosquitoes are horrible. You can't go out in the winter and you don't dare go out in the summer.

The only nice thing is it stays light long in the summer. Too many "ethnic" people IF you know what I mean.

Very expensive.

by Anonymousreply 103/23/2013

No, R1, what do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 203/23/2013

It's fantastic. I lived there for ten years and plan to go back to retire.

by Anonymousreply 303/23/2013

R1, if Whitehorse was too "ethnic" for you then you must find Toronto and Vancouver truly horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 403/23/2013

Isn't Whitehorse in the Yukon? The only city in the Northwest Territories is Yellowknife.

by Anonymousreply 503/23/2013

A friend of mine lived in the Northwest Territories for a number of years. He worked for the federal government and kept track of the caribou herd. He lived in a cabin outside the city of Yellowknife.

by Anonymousreply 603/23/2013

It's not responsible for producing a once-in-every-two-centuries genius like Heath Ledger, that's for sure!

by Anonymousreply 703/23/2013

I have a friend (Gay Male) who just moved to Yellowknife and he seems to love it. Very friendly community.

The neat thing is visiting the town dump. because so many people live there temporarily for their jobs ( year or two) rather than sell their furniture (not much market) or transport it (very expensive) they just leave it in the dump. The dump is organized by sections (Living room, bedroom, Kitchen, office, appliances, electronics, Cookware, etc...) and everything is neatly laid out. So you just get a truck and go browse to furnish your place.

by Anonymousreply 803/23/2013

A friend of my partner's is an arctic climate scientist and spent a couple of years in Nunavut. He thought it was a great experience in spite of developing taste for some rather bizarre food items such as caribou fat balls rolled in sugar. Apparently, one has to have very high caloric intake in order to keep the metabolism up and running in that kind of climate.

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2013

R1,is a bigot! R1, is a bigot!

by Anonymousreply 1003/23/2013

Canadian here - first, Whitehorse is in the Yukon Territory. Yellowknife is in Northwest Territory. So please everyone, ignore R1

by Anonymousreply 1103/23/2013

R11 I'm not Canadian but I already said that at R5.

by Anonymousreply 1203/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!