Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People have started lining up outside the Supreme Court for the chance to attend gay marriage arguments

By Associated Press, Published: March 22

WASHINGTON — A line has begun forming at the Supreme Court for people who want to attend next week’s arguments in two gay marriage cases.

Supreme Court spokeswoman Kathleen Arberg confirmed by email that people began lining up at some point Thursday.

The justices will hear arguments Tuesday on California’s Proposition 8 ban on same-sex marriage and on Wednesday on the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as between one man and one woman.

Lines frequently form in advance for the free tickets to high-profile arguments, but five days before a case is particularly early. For last year’s three days of arguments over the Affordable Care Act, the line began about three days early.

by Anonymousreply 3503/26/2013

Next Tuesday and Wednesday are HUGE days in this country's history.

by Anonymousreply 103/23/2013

It starts Wednesday and Thursday, right? The decision comes in June?

by Anonymousreply 203/23/2013

no--tuesday and wed and i think sooner than that.

by Anonymousreply 303/23/2013

How soon do you think?

by Anonymousreply 403/23/2013

I didn't know that we the people could do that, sit in on the Supremes arguing cases before them. Too bad this doesn't happen more often like when they were giving corporations the same rights as human beings and deciding who was going to be President.

by Anonymousreply 503/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 603/23/2013

Read the book, "What Money Can't Buy." There are companies that hire homeless people to wait in line for these kinds of events (as well as committee hearings in Congress). Then lobbyists pay the company for the service, and at the last minute switch places with the homeless person. The homeless person gets $10/hr. The lobbyist pays thousands of dollars for the spot on line.

It's very hard for a normal person to get into one of these events. Of course, when there isn't a high profile decision being considered, it's probably easier for an average person to attend the hearing. When I lived in D.C. many years ago, I did it a number of times.

by Anonymousreply 703/23/2013

a live blogger said most of the other people in line were being paid. i didn't think about the fact that it would be for the Dark Side........

by Anonymousreply 803/23/2013

The majority are just probably John Roberts groupies.

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 1003/23/2013

Two more days

by Anonymousreply 1103/24/2013

r12 needs to be BANNED.

by Anonymousreply 1303/24/2013

You realize, r12 is probably a hiv-ed whore that has Internet tourettes?

by Anonymousreply 1403/24/2013

I'm sure the people lining up are AGAINST gay marriage.

Gay people are extremely lazy when it comes to fighting for their civil rights, mainly because we've been trained to attack each other and not offer support instead.

See this forum for Example A.

by Anonymousreply 1503/24/2013

There are a number of gay groups that have organized pickets for outside the Supreme Court as well as in major cities across the nation. All are hundreds of miles from where I live, however I donated dollars to pay for the printed signs they'll carry.

Morbidly obese hatemonger Maggie Gallagher and her ilk will be out in full force. The media never asks her about her failed marriage.

by Anonymousreply 1603/24/2013

In a few years, this is what the anti-gay rights people will look like...

by Anonymousreply 1703/24/2013

I can't imagine that lobbyists are likely to care one way or the other about the outcome of these lawsuits. They do like to attend hearings when sensitive commercial matters are being discussed.

It's not all that difficult to attend a non-controversial hearing in the Supreme Court, if you just want to see what it looks like. Link is to instructions.

by Anonymousreply 1803/24/2013

How long will it take to get a decision?

by Anonymousreply 1903/24/2013

R18, although those opposed to SSM believe the issue is merely about the definition of marriage, it actually is very much a financial issue with very far-reaching consequences. There are dozens of ways in which this affects individuals and employers, and therefore, businesses financially.

by Anonymousreply 2003/24/2013

GMA has an ad for a video that reads: "Supreme Court to Take on Gay Marriage." It's under a picture of George Stephanopoulos.

by Anonymousreply 2103/24/2013

yes, ironic/

by Anonymousreply 2203/25/2013

The way the Supreme Court works is that after oral arguments they meet at the Friday conference to decide how they will rule on the cases argued that week and then a justice is assigned to write the majority and they get several weeks or even months to write the opinion (and justices are allowed to write their own concurrences agreeing with the decision of the court but putting their own spin on it, or writing their own dissents to say why they disagree).

The earliest you can expect an opinion on this is probably May and the latest you would get an opinion is the last week of June when the Supreme Court's term ends for the year. June 28 of last year was when the Obamacare ruling came down and the Obamacare oral arguments happened in the last week of March.

by Anonymousreply 2303/25/2013

Yesterday I walked all the way to the Supreme Court building to see the fabled crowd and was thoroughly underwhelmed (the WaPo article only confirmed my suspicions). There was no true excitement in the air...just a line of 30 or so people who looked like a mix of bums and law students. I was hoping to see activists who needed coffee or heat packs, for which I'd gladly return with any items they asked for. Instead the group looked fairly bored out of their mind and somewhat uninterested in the historical event that lies before them...

by Anonymousreply 2403/25/2013

well smell you!

by Anonymousreply 2503/25/2013

The blogger who's in line...

by Anonymousreply 2603/25/2013

R27 , see r17

by Anonymousreply 2803/25/2013

Thank you, r27.

The hateful 'phobes are out in full force this week, scared $%^&less.

by Anonymousreply 2903/25/2013

Today, I've heard three NPR programs giving positive views for marriage-equality. Most people calling in from all over the nation want DOMA and Prop 8 struck down.

I heard one anti-gay phobe phone in, but her greeting to Diane Rheme was so over-the-top Soutnern Baptist-type phoney that you knew she would be a bigot before she even mentioned marriage.

by Anonymousreply 3003/25/2013

And right now, there's another NPR program (Talk of the Nation) with gay-positive talk.

by Anonymousreply 3103/25/2013

300 in line this morning

by Anonymousreply 3203/26/2013

early signs are that prop 8 will not stand, which is great for california, not so much the rest of the states...

by Anonymousreply 3303/26/2013

R33...every little bit counts. Historic day today.

by Anonymousreply 3403/26/2013

now it sounds like Kennedy is too afraid to strike it down, and want so simply dismiss it.

by Anonymousreply 3503/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!