Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's your favorite breed of dog?

If you could have any dog in the world what would it be and why. And yes, in real life we should all get a rescue. I know- but this is hypothetical.

Irish Wolfhounds are amazing and seem like gentle giants, but I could even begin to afford how much food they eat.

by Anonymousreply 25305/09/2015

This site lists breeds of dogs and their intelligence. I like German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers and Labradors best

by Anonymousreply 103/23/2013

R1 that list is shit malinois are far smarter than german shepherds

by Anonymousreply 203/23/2013

yorkie

by Anonymousreply 303/23/2013

An Irish Wolf Hound

by Anonymousreply 403/23/2013

Dachshund. Very willful dogs, but sweet, loving, and comical. They have no concept of backing off because of their size. Mine is a red longhair miniature that's a bit bigger than average. Because of his color, we've been asked if he's a miniature Irish Setter.

Got to give him credit--I haven't seen any badgers in the area since I got him.

by Anonymousreply 503/23/2013

Saluki

by Anonymousreply 603/23/2013

Miniature schnauzer.

Smart.

German.

Tough.

Has a goatee.

That's all.

by Anonymousreply 703/23/2013

Rhodesian Ridgebacks

by Anonymousreply 803/23/2013

R5, I'm a fellow dachshund lover. My smooth, red dachshund Peanut has my heart.

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2013

We've had six Havanese over the years.

By far our favorite dogs.

by Anonymousreply 1003/23/2013

Bernese (sp?) Mountain dogs (fell in love with them, watching dog shows.)

Labradoodles. SO beautiful; I "met" one once and he was so nice and sweet.

Basset hounds. The whimsy, drollery(is that a word?) is off the charts!

by Anonymousreply 1103/23/2013

The Doberman. They are beyond awesome, but they are certainly not for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 1203/23/2013

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. So sue me.

by Anonymousreply 1303/23/2013

Most of them are stringy and gamey. I prefer beef.

by Anonymousreply 1403/23/2013

r11 Bernese are one of the most beautiful dog breeds. Unfortunately, they also have one of the shortest lifespan 7-8 average. Too short. That is the reason why I would never own one.

I don't have a dog, but I'd love to have a Welsh Corgi. They are so goofy and so adorable.

by Anonymousreply 1503/23/2013

Lhasa Apsos.

by Anonymousreply 1603/23/2013

Nobody's fuckin' mentioned the border collie yet? They are hands-down the smartest dog in the world and, if they are properly trained and exercised, can be the greatest pet ever. Absolutely wonderful, beautiful dogs.

by Anonymousreply 1703/23/2013

They're too serious R17.

by Anonymousreply 1803/23/2013

I already have the dog I want, an American Eskimo dog. The most beautiful dog ever.

by Anonymousreply 1903/23/2013

A labradoodle is not a fucking breed. It's a mutt.

Shelties have been the best dogs I've had so far. They're smarter than human children.

As far as if I could have any dog, I'd love to stumble upon a Samoyed or a Belgian Sheepdog in a shelter to see how they compare.

by Anonymousreply 2003/23/2013

I would love to have a toy fox terrier. They're playful, affectionate, smart, loyal, highly trainable and naturally funny. They're popular with circus clowns for this reason.

by Anonymousreply 2103/23/2013

Love my German Shepherd! This is my 4th one.

by Anonymousreply 2203/23/2013

i love my jack russell

by Anonymousreply 2303/23/2013

Boston Terrier. But they are very needy.

by Anonymousreply 2403/23/2013

Love my blonde Chow-Chow, Chynna, but she's a one man dog.

by Anonymousreply 2503/23/2013

Newfies -- Newfoundlands. Very intelligent, loving, gentle.

Unfortunately you need a farm to have one. And a pool or pond nearby.

by Anonymousreply 2603/23/2013

Bassett Hound

by Anonymousreply 2703/23/2013

Pug. And that list is shit. Pugs (like a lot of toy dogs) understand a lot of human language and will learn a new trick the first time if you're holding a treat they want.

Much like cats, who are also a hell of a lot smarter than labrador retrievers and other dogs who enjoy carrying their own turds around.

The only problem with pugs is the massive quantity of hair the fawns shed. There is no fucking end. I'm pretty sure my dog's hair can be found at the south pole, and she's not even 3 yet.

by Anonymousreply 2803/23/2013

My Louisiana Catahoulla.

by Anonymousreply 2903/23/2013

Scottie and Westie fan here. Smart, adorable, little shedding. Intimidatingly stubborn, until you get used to the fact that they will do what they want.

And hey, all of our dogs have been rescues, whether from shelters or breed rescue programs. If you love a particular breed, check online for a nearby rescue program.

by Anonymousreply 3003/23/2013

If I had to get a purebred, I think I might choose the PBGV. They're adorable.

But I still love my Chorkie. She's the best dog I've ever had. In fact, today we're going to get her photo taken with the Easter Bunny!

by Anonymousreply 3203/23/2013

I've always wanted a Boxer. Every one I've ever met has been really sweet and smart.

by Anonymousreply 3403/23/2013

English bulldogs are my favorite breed. Our 4 year old EB is such a clown. Very stubborn and not easy to train (except for housetraining; he's 100% housetrained) but such a strong personality and funny vocalizations. I also like boxers and basset hounds.

by Anonymousreply 3503/23/2013

[R34] Two boxers have owned me. If you ever get one make sure the ears are not cut. There is a high incident of cancer in boxers and those that have not had the ears done have a much lower incident of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 3603/23/2013

I don't want another dog. If I were to get one I would get an Australian cattle dog.

by Anonymousreply 3703/23/2013

We've got a pack of 7 dogs (and need to vacuum several time a week to keep the furballs in check). Our pack includes 3 German Shepherds, a Rottweiler, a Great Dane, a St Bernard, and a shepherd/hound mix. All are from local rescues, and came to us under a variety of circumstances. We've never gone out looking for a particular breed; all fell into our laps.

If I could pick a new breed to add to the pack, it would be a Swissy (Greater Swiss Mountain Dog). They have the coloring of a Bernie, but shorter fur. Trust me, with 3 GSDs and a Saint in the household, shorter fur has its benefits!

You can tell we like the big dogs. We have a 3BR house (with 12 dog beds), and 7 acres of fenced pastures for the pack to exercise.

by Anonymousreply 3803/23/2013

German Shepherd, Border Collie and some cute and clever mutts

by Anonymousreply 3903/23/2013

Gross r38. 7 dogs in the house is disgusting. Are you a hoarder?

by Anonymousreply 4003/23/2013

All I'm thinking about is how much shit you clean up r38, even with seven acres. I grew up with German Shepherds and the huge piles of shit from one dog were astounding. You have several dogs twice the size of Shepherds. I love big dogs, but gross.

by Anonymousreply 4103/23/2013

A real Irish Setter but not one who has the intelligence bred out of him. Or a German Shepherd.

by Anonymousreply 4203/23/2013

Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

I have two.

I also really enjoy my new little Westipoo-- for sheer moxie, and for being so damn cute.

by Anonymousreply 4303/23/2013

Mutts. Lots of different shorthaired dogs. I do not like longhaired dogs at all. I don't want to get anywhere near a wet, longhaired dog face.

I would never again get a dog I couldn't carry, but I've always liked pointers and coonhounds.

I think if I got a "breed" dog, it would be an Italian Greyhound.

by Anonymousreply 4403/23/2013

Border terrier.

by Anonymousreply 4503/23/2013

The wolfhounds and deerhounds are impressive, but any dog bred too far out of size is going to be predisposed to heart problems, as they are (as are the Great Danes).

by Anonymousreply 4603/23/2013

R41: The amount of poop is largely determined by the quality of food that dogs eat. We feed food high in protein (Blue or Royal Canin for some, no-grain or BARF for others). Better quality food results in less waste. Less expensive food that is higher in grains (Purina, Beneful, Pedigree) produces more waste since less is digested and absorbed.

6 of the acres are open pasture; sort of our own private dog park. The primary exercise yard is a fenced paddock (around 100'x120') and we clean it daily.

by Anonymousreply 4703/23/2013

Where did Irish Setters get the reputation for being stupid?

by Anonymousreply 4803/23/2013

R47. Spot on with the food. We use nutro holistic and the difference is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 4903/23/2013

Airedales. I have had two. Real sweethearts.

by Anonymousreply 5003/23/2013

The setters over here seem to be very hyper and high strung. In Ireland, the ones I grew up with were intelligent, loyal, and even-tempered. They were high energy but not crazy. I think the puppy mills have bread for the coat and not the brains.

We had a couple of setters when I was a kid and they were beautiful. My Rufus was a huge male that I once tried to ride like a pony (I was four years old). He didn't even mind.

by Anonymousreply 5103/23/2013

Thanks, R51. Rufus is a great name for an Irish Setter, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 5203/23/2013

For the person who mentioned border collies - be very careful of rescuing them. Their herding instinct can get a bit out of control if they have other issues from earlier in life, resulting in injury - sometimes quite serious - to humans and other animals around them.

by Anonymousreply 5303/23/2013

I have a 10-year-old Border Collie/Australian Cattle Dog/Husky mix - she's the sweetest dog ever - and a 2-year-old Australian Cattle Dog.

Both are very smart - you can practically see wheels turning in their heads when they want something. The ACD is quite a handful, so I try to keep him busy with Frisbee workouts and obedience training.

by Anonymousreply 5403/23/2013

chiwaawaa

by Anonymousreply 5503/23/2013

Burnese Mountain Dog

by Anonymousreply 5603/23/2013

My sister raises Chihuahuas, and what shaking, nasty little bundles of nerves they are. Maybe she's doing something wrong?

by Anonymousreply 5703/23/2013

Another vote for the boxer. I have a 9 yr old 85 lb boy with a huge chest and natural ears. Great watchdog- scares the shit out of anyone he doesn't know, but he's really a huge, loveable baby. Best dog I've ever had by far. I'm gonna be a mess when he's gone...

by Anonymousreply 5803/23/2013

My Cardigan Welsh Corgi is the love of my life. More energy than you can possibly imagine something that size having, and a louder bark than most dogs three times his size. And ridiculously smart - he has the entire neighborhood mapped out in his mind, knows where every person who pets him or gives him treats is, and leads me where we need to go. He knows the difference between going to the grocery store, the park, "home", the short walk, the long walk. If he tries to go a different direction I just tell him "No, not the park, the grocery store" he turns around and leads me there. He'll heel if I make him, but he's happier taking the lead.

I almost feel bad because he would probably make a great service dog if he had the right training. He gets a ton of exercise - if we didn't go to the park pretty much every day so he can run like a madman he'd probably be fat and cranky, and I've certainly met some fat cranky Corgis in my life. If you don't stimulate their brains and exercise them I can see them being a loud destructive nightmare.

They're definitely a high maintenance dog, but if you're willing to put in the work and accept the dog as mostly an equal (they're not happy in the background) the rewards of having one cuddle up to you and bat at you with their tiny legs can't be overstated.

by Anonymousreply 5903/23/2013

I love my brittany spaniel.

by Anonymousreply 6003/23/2013

I like the smooth coated muscly dogs: Danes, Rhodesian Ridgeback and Pitts. Although those little French Bulldogs are quite the cuties.

by Anonymousreply 6103/23/2013

Airedale Terrier - they are big (60 lbs) black and tan lovers. We have a 13 year old male that has never once bared his teeth at another animal or human.

by Anonymousreply 6203/23/2013

The worst, most aggressive dog at the dogpark I used to go to, was an Airedale. He used to "nose" me as if he wanted to knock me over. Eventually, people asked his owner not to bring him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6303/23/2013

My neighbor has a Miniature Pinscher...The beautiful lines and coloring of a Doberman but under ten pounds. THey're really smart dogs, too.

by Anonymousreply 6403/23/2013

And so, so cute, R64.

by Anonymousreply 6503/23/2013

Corn

by Anonymousreply 6603/23/2013

I had a mixed-breed half pit bull, half collie. It bit people until they started bleeding, then it ran for help.

by Anonymousreply 6703/23/2013

Lena Dunham

by Anonymousreply 6803/23/2013

Smooth collie

by Anonymousreply 6903/23/2013

Golden Retriever

I'm a sucker for a playful, intelligent, lovable dog.

by Anonymousreply 7003/23/2013

Irish Terrier. My last dog, Finnegan, was an Irish Terrier. It was my first experience with the breed. I had never even heard of them, prior to Finnegan!

My mom & her then-boyfriend (who were in their 70's) got him as a puppy, but then split-up when he was about 1.5 years old. I won't bore everyone with the details, but as a result of this break-up, I ended up with him. Not by default! I ADORED him, and simply announced, one day, that I wanted him, and was taking him. They were fine that. (recognized that he really should be with a younger, more active person).

Anyway.....I discovered that Irish Terriers are a GREAT breed! (Apparently they were very popular in the 40's & 50's). All the personality & energy of terriers, without the hyper-activity, and yappiness of other terriers. Smart, very sweet & loving, incredibly loyal, and very social. Got along fabulously with other dogs, of all shapes & sizes (when doggie day-care was overcrowded, they would often put him in with the room with miniature breeds, b/c even though he was 22" x 40 lbs., he played very nicely with them).

He was also a social magnet....I couldn't go anywhere (on a walk, or to the dog-park) without people commenting how cute he was! He always appeared to be "smiling" and liked strangers to pet him, etc. I met a lot of women (I'm a lesbian), simply because he was so cute & sweet!

Only drawback -- no cats! Could never have a cat with him, because he wanted to kill & maim ALL small furry creatures!! He would just go BONKERS whenever he saw a cat....or a squirrel, rabbits, etc. Maybe that would be different if he were raised with cats since a puppy? My feeling is no, since they were bred to be "ratters", in Ireland. They want to kill little furry creatures.

Other drawback....they've been so inter-bred. Finnegan was partially deaf. Hard to know if that was a result of interbreeding, or just the (bad) luck of the draw.....but, I suspect it was the former.....but it actually worked well for me, as an apartment dweller. Unlike other neighbors with dogs, he didn't bark at every sound in the courtyard. (Which endeared him to the rest of my neighbors).

I would love to have another Irish Terrier, on an IT-mix!

by Anonymousreply 7103/23/2013

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Rat Terriers yet. I don't have one, but I walk my elderly neighbor's Rat. Usually very sweet-natured, friendly dogs. They've been described as Jack Russells with "off switches." They are much calmer, but very smart and sociable with other animals and people, and easily trained. So easily trained that they can easily be over-corrected. Lucy's very excitable and peed a little on the floor during a visit. I wasn't upset and didn't scold her. The poor thing ran and hid under the bed thinking she was in trouble. I had to lure her out with a piece of cheese. She's also a good guard dog and barks when someone unfamiliar approaches the property and stops pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 7203/23/2013

I like weed dogs.

by Anonymousreply 7303/23/2013

I love my Akita. Very smart and loyal but alas not for the novice dog owner. Do your research before considering buying or adopting.

by Anonymousreply 7403/23/2013

All my dogs have been wonderful: an Airedale, a Greyhound, a Brittany, a Lab and a Lab/Dalmation mix. But for all round, mooshy, good hearted joy, I'll take the Labs and Lab mixes.

by Anonymousreply 7503/23/2013

Whoever was shocked at the Malnois' rating is right. I've known a few and they are incredibly intelligent.

They are amazing dogs. Many are replacing GSDs in police work because of the latter's health problems.

Like the akita, though, they are not 1st time owner dogs.

I love rough collies. They are the sweetest, most loyal dogs. Their health profile has also declined over the years.

by Anonymousreply 7603/23/2013

Golden Retrievers

Collies

Westies

Beagles

by Anonymousreply 7703/23/2013

I love most breeds, and I've had a number of dogs since quite young. Some of my favorites are repeats of what other's have said. Shelties are smart as a whip generally, and a lot of fun. You have to make sure they have a job to do though, or there could be problems. The grooming is kind of a pain in the ass. My two were shelter rescues.

I also had a Sheltie mix (never sure what with) that was great. The big plus was that her hair wasn't very long, It still shed like mad, but better than a purebred. She was a bit of a Jewish mother, but such a loyal dog. If you told her not to do something or to go lie down, so that she wasn't on top of you, she'd do it but literally grumble under her breath.

Irish setters that I've known have been wonderful and smart, however the one that I had as a kid would take off like a shot if not within 20 feet of you outside to run for hours. I've never known a female dog to roam as much as that Irish did. I've always wanted an English setter, is anyone familiar with the breed? Never met one.

We had a larger than average miniature poodle rescue during childhood who was very intuitive, and frankly a big teddy bear. Everyone who saw him loved him. A coworker is a big Boxer fan, and every one that I've known that she's had has been great. The reverse brindles are absolutely beautiful too.

by Anonymousreply 7803/23/2013

I am waiting till I retire to get a dog and I'm perusing this list and reading every one. All the breeds seem to have something going for them. I used to think I was a "big dog" type but I also like the feisty, intrepid natures of small breeds.

My brother has a Shepherd/Boxer mix that has raised his two kids, one of the sweetest dogs I've met. He's an old guy now, just hanging on, tormented by a Maltese and a Bichon.

by Anonymousreply 7903/23/2013

Toy Fox terriers are smart, funny and affectionate. I've had 3, and mine have been larger than normal--about 10 to 12 lbs. After having a schnauzer--too barky, a chow mix--scary to visitors, I've found my breed. Life is merrier with a toy fox terrier!

by Anonymousreply 8003/23/2013

I have a retired racing Greyhound, and he's a gem. Sweet, and friendly, but never needy or annoying. He does not bark ever really (he might yelp if he is awoken suddenly), and does not fight, or cause trouble. My greyhound is cat safe, yet does like to go after rats, mice and squirrels, because he is after all a hunting dog.

He sleeps through the night like a person, is perfectly house trained, and lets me know if he needs to go outside for an extra walk, or in the middle of the night, which happens about once a month. He's a real pal, and incredibly low-maintenance, I wouldn't trade him for another breed.

by Anonymousreply 8103/23/2013

That breed from China. Comes with a recipe.

by Anonymousreply 8203/23/2013

Why are Malinois owners upset at that breed's ranking? That site has nothing to gain from faking their list.

by Anonymousreply 8303/24/2013

R83 if you've ever been around working dogs, whether it be for ringsport or on a farm with sheep you'd know that Malinois' are superior to GSDs in almost every way. Faster, lighter, quieter, higher IQ with the vocabulary capacity equivalent to a 5 year old AND they don't aren't prone to hip dyspepsia like GSDs. There's a reason most they are preferred in police work over GSDs. A mal from good European bloodlines is EVERYTHING, so much so that most European breeders tend to unload bottom basement stock to unwitting Americans. R76 is right x1000 they are not for first time dog owners; they are a true working breed that need good training and work otherwise they will go crazy!

Fun Malinois fact of the night: contrary to Zero Dark Thirty depiction of events, Malinois and not GSDs were used in Operation Neptune Spear (Bin Laden raid)

by Anonymousreply 8403/24/2013

Chihuahuas! I just love them.

by Anonymousreply 8503/24/2013

hip dyspepsia

Oh, dear. LOL

by Anonymousreply 8603/24/2013

Unfortunately, Michael Vick recently acquired a female Malinois puppy.

by Anonymousreply 8703/24/2013

I have two mini poodles and they are sweet, smart, and nonsheddinga

by Anonymousreply 8803/24/2013

Standard Poodle, without a doubt. So very intelligent, great personality and no shedding.

by Anonymousreply 8903/24/2013

LOL R86 damn autocorrect!

Mike Vick having a Malinois is a tragedy, I hope he takes up the national Mal association's offer to get the pup proper training. Of course we all know why he has a mal, so I guess it's wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 9003/24/2013

My dog hassh hip dipsshomania!

by Anonymousreply 9103/24/2013

Oh jayzuz. I need to Oh, dear myself seeing you lovely lot didn't bother to.

by Anonymousreply 9203/24/2013

[quote]I also had a Sheltie mix ... If you told her not to do something or to go lie down, so that she wasn't on top of you, she'd do it but literally grumble under her breath.

My sheltie/golden retriever used to do this, too! He'd complain like a crabby old man when thwarted, lol.

But smart? Holy crap, I swear that dog had an IQ of about 160. When you looked into his eyes, it was like another human looking back at you, only hairier and with worse breath!

by Anonymousreply 9303/24/2013

I like big, solid, sweet-natured guys.

My faves are the two gentle giants, Rottweilers and Pitties.

Also think French Bulldogs and Pugs are freaking adorable, and wouldn't mind a pretty Papillion, either.

by Anonymousreply 9403/24/2013

Pekingese

by Anonymousreply 9503/24/2013

[quote]Only drawback -- no cats! Could never have a cat with him, because he wanted to kill & maim ALL small furry creatures!!

This is an issue with all terriers, as they were bred to exterminate vermin [rats, rabbits, badgers, foxes, etc].

Of course, individual dogs vary, and someone's cat-killer could be the same breed as someone else's squirrel stepmom, but yeah, terriers and cats or other small creatures are generally not a good mix.

Same with greyhounds. Even worse, a loose greyhound can easily outrun a cat, putting the poor kitty at an even bigger disadvantage.

by Anonymousreply 9603/24/2013

I don't have one, but I want a dog just like Bo Obama. Portugese Water Dog?

So cute and fluffy!!

by Anonymousreply 9703/24/2013

Pugs and wire-haired terriers. I simply adore pugs.

by Anonymousreply 9803/24/2013

r87, That image should go viral

the fact that any store would sell a dog to Micheal Vick speaks volumes about their ethics. He shouldn't even be allowed in the store- but what do they carea bout their puppy mill products?

The fact that someone would pose with him- .... well. Fuck all that.

by Anonymousreply 9903/24/2013

R63, that is called a big-nose poke. He wanted you to pet him.

BTW, most purebreeds have a rescue associated with them, so you could have your favorite breed and still get a rescue.

Oh, and I'd have another Airedale as well. I lost 2 last year from old age and my current one is 15.

by Anonymousreply 10003/24/2013

Terrier Mutts! My dog is a schnauzer dachshund mix and she is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 10103/24/2013

r57, I think your sister needs to get out of the chihuahua breeding business. It sounds like she doesn't know what the hell she's doing. The shaking is probably due to the fact that they're prone to hypoglycemia, so she may have them on the wrong feeding schedule (or maybe she just keeps the house too cold.) Also, although a terrier-like feistiness is part of the AKC breed description, they're not supposed to be neurotic.

by Anonymousreply 10203/24/2013

Thank you for the good morning laugh with hip "dispepsia" and "dipsshomania."

by Anonymousreply 10303/24/2013

My family has owned a hound dog, a German Shepherd/Collie mix, and two Old English Sheepdogs. Of those, I would own an OES again. I love them. Big, loyal, loping dogs. The best.

In terms of dogs I have had extensive experience with and truly enjoyed, I would include OES, German Shepherds, Greyhounds, Borzois, English Bulldogs, Pit bulls, and Rottweilers. Of those, I would own OES, Shepherds, Greyhounds, large mutts, and Rottweilers.

I also have a weakness for Great Danes, but they are too high maintenance for me.

If I were pushed to pick a favorite, it would probably be the Old English Sheepdog.

by Anonymousreply 10403/24/2013

How is Michael Vick allowed to own dogs? This is so upseting.

by Anonymousreply 10503/24/2013

My favorite types of dogs are the spitzes.

by Anonymousreply 10603/24/2013

I will probably get some sort of chihuahua mix to keep my pug company when she calms down and gets a little less insecure. She likes chihuahuas and their insane energy and so do I. She also LOVES corgis, for some reason.

Canine to canine relationships are really interesting. Dogs act like they're operating on stereotypes of other breeds. I've noticed that dogs seem to react badly to curly haired dogs on sight, but once they have a sniff and the curly haired dog isn't rude, they're fine with them. My dog went insane every time she saw the labradoodle down the hall, and after a few months the owner finally let them meet and now they're friends. I watch other dogs react the same way to him and to a curly coated retriever who lives downstairs.

But all dogs seem to love Great Danes at first sight. A friend has a basenji mix who hates other dogs, and even she loves the Great Danes. My neighbors' two huge Danes attract little dogs all the time and seem utterly bewildered by them.

by Anonymousreply 10703/25/2013

R36, fellow boxer lover here! We have 4 right now but have had 6 total, over the years. It's funny you mention the ears, my husband and I were just talking about that topic last night. Our very first boxer, who we took in when a relative was getting divorced and couldn't keep her anymore, had her ears clipped but we've never considered getting any of the other's ears done. Personally, I think they look better and it's much more humane.

Also, being "Gramma" to 2 Pugs gives them a special place in my heart. The younger Pug has grown up with our Boxers and she thinks she's a big dog, too! I really think she believes she's 10 feet tall. Lol

by Anonymousreply 10803/25/2013

[quote]I will probably get some sort of chihuahua mix to keep my pug company when she calms down and gets a little less insecure. She likes chihuahuas and their insane energy and so do I. She also LOVES corgis, for some reason.

They're both at her eye level. She doesn't have to strain her neck the way she would looking up at a big dog.

by Anonymousreply 10903/25/2013

r36, how is it even logical that getting ears clipped caused cancer in boxers? Boxers have hight rates of cancer, period. It doesn't come through the ears, it's a genetic deficit. The idea that altering and outside appearance causes cancer borders on superstition.

More likely there is a correlation between the breeders and high-strung image-conscious people who buy from those types of breeders because they want dogs that 'look perfect'. The kind of people who clip their dogs ears, solely for vanity purposes, are the kind of people who buy high-end, highly inbred dogs.

by Anonymousreply 11003/25/2013

Most everyone appears to be picking their current dog (or latest dog) as their favorite.

I'll go along with this. I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, four years old. They are known as the "Love Sponge", and they most definitely are. Of all the dogs I've had in the past, she is without a doubt the most loveable and adorable of them all. She doesn't bark, was a snap to housetrain, loves our cat and loves every person she meets. Her obsession with food is about the only area that drives me a little nuts, but that's not the breed in general, just her.

by Anonymousreply 11103/25/2013

Please don't feed the troll.

by Anonymousreply 11303/25/2013

Another vote for Airedale Munchibus Destructus.

Smart, goofy, vocal without barkiness, airedales encourage you to get off your ass and remain active.

The only drawback is that they don't live as long as other breeds. Seven to eight years is the norm. Thirteen (from Samson's Dad) is incredible.

They too have been over-bred so you have to pay ($$$) for a healthy pup. If I can stand the heartbreak, I'll get an airedale mix some day.

by Anonymousreply 11503/25/2013

For cuteness factor, the Cavalier King Charles wins out head over heels, that's for sure. I can't believe how many people come flocking around whenever I have mine out anywhere. I think that's because you don't see too many of them in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 11603/25/2013

r113 who the hell are you talking about?

r69, that's pretty! I've never seen one of those. Do they have health issues?

by Anonymousreply 11703/25/2013

All purebred (inbred) dogs have health issues.

by Anonymousreply 11803/25/2013

small dog - Norfolk Terrier

big dog - lab

by Anonymousreply 11903/25/2013

ANY dog can have health issues, R118, just as any person can have health issues. Yes, there are some health problems associated with many purebreds, but a mixed breed dog can just as easily inherit those health problems from one or the other of its parents. I've adopted several mixed-breeds over the years from shelters, some of whom were issue-free and some of whom were not. My Cavalier is the first purebred dog I've ever had and so far she has had no issues at four years of age.

by Anonymousreply 12003/25/2013

R118 is correct. Last year my mixed breed dog developed glaucoma. An eye exam revealed she has a genetic predisposition to the disease, which is common in the Arctic breeds. She is part Siberian Husky.

by Anonymousreply 12103/25/2013

Oops - I meant to post R120 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 12203/25/2013

Shiba Inu. So much intelligence in a little dog.

by Anonymousreply 12303/25/2013

R121, did you put it down?

by Anonymousreply 12403/25/2013

R72 I think I would like a Rat Terrier. My great aunt had either a Rat Terrier or a Jack Russell when I was a little boy, and I just loved her dog. My mother had an Old English Sheepdog to whom I did not relate at all. All my life, I've preferred shorthaired dogs.

Here are some Rat Terriers who need rescuing.

by Anonymousreply 12503/25/2013

Sorry, R120. "Purebred" dogs tend to have more health issues by far simply based on the fact that they have amplified predisposition for illness. It's simply genetics, and a fact.

by Anonymousreply 12603/25/2013

R107- true about dog-dog relationships mirroring the stereotypes of the breed. I have 2 mini poodles that are best friends w/each other but they refuse to even acknowledge the other 2 terrier mutts in the house treating them like "white trash".

by Anonymousreply 12703/26/2013

I could never own a dog that killed other animals. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 12804/23/2013

My favorite breed of a dog is a english bull terrier

by Anonymousreply 12901/01/2014

I love my pugs. Don't demand a lot of activity - act like big dogs in a small size, sturdy yet sweet.

They can have health problems - my two rescues are going blind which is sad since they are only about 7 years old. Oh they'll eat until they are dead if you leave enough food out.

by Anonymousreply 13001/01/2014

I don't think i really like any dogs but Irish setters are very pretty and have a nice temperament.

by Anonymousreply 13101/01/2014

I have had many breeds. My all time favorite for the shih Tzu. They are so lovable and sweet and smart. I would never choose another breed.

by Anonymousreply 13201/01/2014

R115, not true. I have worked with Airedale rescue for years and have had Airedales since the mid-80s. My most recent crew was made up of 1 that died at 17, two at 15 and my current Airedale is 16.

by Anonymousreply 13301/01/2014

I've had two Goldens. My last girl lived to be 16 which is a long life for a large dog.

I have to say that she was a wonderful dog every day of her life and only comically naughty when she wanted to play with a ball or stick or something.

When I can't sleep at night I imagine petting and playing with my girl. I miss her but have great memories.

by Anonymousreply 13401/01/2014

[quote]I think I would like a Rat Terrier.

A friend of mine grew up with them on a farm in Iowa. There was a gang of them and they slept in the hay bales in the barn. He described how he would go out to the barn in the mornings to feed them and how smart and affectionate they were. He doesn't have a dog, but he takes care of a friend's rat terrier sometimes. Thing skitters about a little too much for my taste. I could go for a boxer/lab mix.

by Anonymousreply 13501/01/2014

I sometime dogsit a Jack Russell terrier. He was scrappy and barky when younger but now lays on my chest like a cat when we're watching TV.

by Anonymousreply 13601/01/2014

The mall cops at my mall are using Malinois.

by Anonymousreply 13701/01/2014

R115,

Are you sure about those longevity numbers?

My Airdale's foster father*, who has four 'dales of his own and fosters many others though the rescue group, stands by 12 or more years--totally dependent on diet and exercise. (He also designed the anti-eczema supplement mix that cleared our Airedale's eczema for good.)

*He's even been featured on Animal Planet.

by Anonymousreply 13801/01/2014

Shiba Inu. Has anyone had one of these dogs?

by Anonymousreply 13901/01/2014

Bump

by Anonymousreply 14001/01/2014

Saw this on a handmade sign once:

"Warning biten dogs"

My favorite is a biten.

by Anonymousreply 14101/01/2014

Another GSD. Sweet, smart, loyal, and all business if they need to be.

by Anonymousreply 14201/01/2014

Wolves and otters. Theys my favorites!

by Anonymousreply 14301/01/2014

Friend has a Sheba inu...funny little pooch...shows its teeth when it meets someone new but its all show...partner's family all goldies all the time...I have to say they are sweet but seem kinda needy/ insecure....but the last 2 were rescues so maybe thats it...love my 8 pound Himalayan kitty...yes not a dog person here

by Anonymousreply 14401/01/2014

The other day sitting next to me on the bus (in the aisle) was a half-German Shepherd/half English mastiff, who was quite friendly and well behaved.

by Anonymousreply 14501/01/2014

Bichon Frise. That was my dog growing up.

by Anonymousreply 14601/01/2014

I love all dogs but I'm a proud, lifelong German Shepherd owner! They are incredibly smart, loyal, affectionate, protective and usually very good with kids. Like any other large or strong-willed breed (Rottweilers, Dobermans, Akitas, Bulldogs, Belgian Malinois etc) they are not the dog breed for novice owners or wimps!

I love Border collies which are very intelligent. They need a lot of exercise. This is not a breed for couch potatoes or the infirm.

I also love mutts :-)

by Anonymousreply 14701/01/2014

Terriers are my very favorite breed

They're cute and cuddly, easy dogs to feed

They will bring you up whenever you are down

Terriers average 20 pounds

by Anonymousreply 14801/01/2014

What kind of dog is Soglet?

by Anonymousreply 14901/01/2014

Beagles - they are loving, merry dogs who while they can be a little bit stubborn because their noses take precedence over everything, they are a lot of fun, they'll make you laugh and they love their families. They like to play but they also like to lay around and be lazy. They also have very soulful eyes.

by Anonymousreply 15001/01/2014

Rat terrier. Mine was a doll. He suffered from separation anxiety so I adopted a pointer mix. They were both great house dogs.

The rat loved kids, he would paw the neighbor kids legs until they sat cross legged on the ground, then he would jump in, curl up and take a nap. So cute.

He also broke up fights between my two cats.

by Anonymousreply 15101/01/2014

Beagles are the most endearing dogs ever. I have had 3 in my life time, and I love the breed, though they can be a handful at times :) but I love ALL dog breeds really. Dogs are so full of love and joy, and they just make me happy.

I have a 6 yr old Yorkie girl who is pure Diva, a 9 yr old mini Dachshund boy who is somewhat silly, but laid back most of the time. I also adopted 2 mutts 7 months ago- one of them is a very playful yet independent male Boxer & Lab mix about 5 yrs old, and the other is a female Sheltie & Beagle mix about 2 yrs old who is the sweetest damn thing ever. I also have an 11 yr old female black cat who runs the house along with the Yorkie.

I would also like to take this opportunity to ask that you guys visit beaglefreedomproject.org It is a non profit rescue group that saves Beagles and other animals from Laboratories who do cruel animal testing. TIA

by Anonymousreply 15201/01/2014

Love Golden Retrievers, we have three of them. Awesome breed/dogs

by Anonymousreply 15305/09/2014

None! It's all about kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties, kitties!

by Anonymousreply 15405/09/2014

As an adult with ADHD, I love my Jack Russell terriers because they are the only dogs that can keep up with me. I would seriously proscribe them for couch potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 15505/09/2014

R152=animal hoarder

by Anonymousreply 15605/09/2014

My best friend ever was a Golden Retriever. He came to us when I was 13 and died when I was 26. We had our ups and downs but in the end he was always there for me when I lived at my parents and later when I visited them. When my sister called me and said he had died I just lost it. I stayed home a week skipping work completely and just cried all the time. I've never been good with death and losing him was the hardest thing I've ever encountered.

So yeah, Golden Retrievers are my favorite but I can't really say that I miss all the health problems he had. I spent countless hours of treating the hot spots on his skin during the years. He also started having hip problems in the later years, so he really did have the breed's problems. But he was so beautiful, and I miss him still a lot, 15 years after he died.

by Anonymousreply 15705/09/2014

R28 - my boyfriend has two Pugs. Very loveable dogs. I never really notice the shedding too much. What I notice more is they can get a little stinky.

by Anonymousreply 15805/09/2014

Basset Hounds! Basset Hounds! "Basset hounds rule, even if they drool"!

by Anonymousreply 15905/09/2014

Lhasa Apso - very very very light shedding, if any.

by Anonymousreply 16005/09/2014

R155, do you know the meaning of the word "proscribe"?

by Anonymousreply 16105/09/2014

I love my Catahoula. Friendly to everyone, man or beast, and one of the most intuitive and intelligent dogs I have owned.

by Anonymousreply 16205/09/2014

Sprinkler Spaniel

by Anonymousreply 16305/09/2014

Horndog.

by Anonymousreply 16405/09/2014

I'm living with a Border Collie. Never had more fun with a dog. I'm looking to get another one this summer.

by Anonymousreply 16505/09/2014

According to the link at r1...

Most little gay lapdogs are as dumb as the gay men that own them.

by Anonymousreply 16605/09/2014

I've had many dogs, and the best all around dog is a mutt.

They are healthier, have better dispositions and are generally easier to maintain.

My favorite breed is the Havanese. Good temperament.

by Anonymousreply 16705/09/2014

[quote]I love my Catahoula.

They are some cool-looking dogs. I've never met one in person.

by Anonymousreply 16805/09/2014

large space --- Giant Schnauzer

Small space -- Chihuahua

by Anonymousreply 16905/09/2014

Russell Tovey loves his French bulldog named Rocky.

by Anonymousreply 17005/09/2014

I had a Dobermann as our watch dog growing up.

I also had 2 Jack Russell terriers and a mixed german shepard/lab.

by Anonymousreply 17105/09/2014

(R157) We shave our Goldens to prevent them from the common "hot spots", especially since we live on a lake and they are in it all the time. Our three Goldens are our buddies and they all get along great. We were aware of the other common issues and just did our homework and found a breeder in CO who as the most amazing pups and quality Goldens. So hopefully ours will be free on the issues. Our oldest is 9 and so far he is fine.

Any chance of getting another? I will always have at least one always.

by Anonymousreply 17205/09/2014

Had a Labradoodle, yes a mutt but smart and personable. Very people oriented, comical, soulful and always wanted to be the Queen Bitch. I could not keep my hands off her deliscious hair. Best companion ever. I would love to have another.

Poodles, poodles poodles, intelligent and people dogs.

Have always loved a Border Collie too. Long hair Collies are about the sweetest pooches ever. Hate to see the LHC declining in popularity, they are great family dogs. Lassie and all that.

by Anonymousreply 17305/09/2014

My neighbor would fondle her King Charles Spaniel's genitals. Then the dog got neutered.

by Anonymousreply 17405/09/2014

R161, I'm French and I've looked it up but still would say "proscribe": forbid, abraten in German whatever.

by Anonymousreply 17505/09/2014

My apologies, R175. I assumed you're the typical DL fatshaming anorexic, so you'd [italic]prescribe[/italic] a Jack Russell to get a couch potato off the couch.

Mea culpa.

by Anonymousreply 17605/09/2014

Shiba Inu

by Anonymousreply 17705/09/2014

The common ancestor of all dogs, of course. Go to the source.

by Anonymousreply 17805/09/2014

A Schipperke is one of the best all around pleasant companions and an active little imp. I recommend them to one and all.

by Anonymousreply 17905/09/2014

Lhasa Apso

by Anonymousreply 18005/09/2014

I think the one that I have now: the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. So precious with a sparkling personality. Not very intelligent but that doesn't matter since they're just so cute!

I also love Cocker Spaniels but prefer the smaller size of Cavaliers.

by Anonymousreply 18105/09/2014

R157,

At first glance, I thought I had written your post. My retriever came to us when I was 12 and went home when I was 24. When I heard about her demise, from my bro, I also took a sick day. I spent the entire day lying in bed crying, falling asleep, dreaming about her, waking up, fitfully.

It was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 18205/09/2014

I agree R7 I miss my Schnauzers as well since I had two, only one at a time though and they're no longer alive.

I lived with a pitt/boxer and Jack Russel mix/mutt, and a lab/Rhodesian ridgeback mix/mutt but I did not like how they shed all over the house.

by Anonymousreply 18305/09/2014

My dream dog was the Great Dane. A friend had two of them when we were 19. I waited until I had a house and could afford to put a fence in. I researched breeders and finally put a deposit down on a puppy. He was a wonderful dog, but he died of congestive heart failure when he was 2.5 years old.

He is the only dog we've had as a puppy, all our others were rescues.

We are down to one dog now, a border collie/ spaniel mix who is 17 years old.

by Anonymousreply 18405/09/2014

I've always wanted a Newfoundland but it's not practical.

by Anonymousreply 18505/09/2014

My most loyal dog was a black lab. Our whole family was devastated when she died.

We had a German Shepherd that was fiercely protective, but otherwise had the demeanor of a cat. She ignored us until she needed something or she thought we were threatened.

By contrast, my parents own a boxer now, and he's so lovable but doesn't have a fighting bone in his body. He runs inside and hides when he hears thunder. I've read that boxers never grow out of the puppy phase, and in his case at least it's very true.

by Anonymousreply 18605/09/2014

Most loving loyal and protective dog I had was a wire haired fox terrier.

But he drove us crazy when we'd swim, getting in the water with us, trying to prevent us from straying too far from the shore.

by Anonymousreply 18705/09/2014

I have rescued all my dogs (past and present). Scrappy mutts who you give a forever-home to are the best breed by far.

by Anonymousreply 18805/09/2014

I love mutts too, R188 but there are pure breed rescues too, for those who want a certain dog. My Caviler is from a rescue and she's the dearest little girl.

by Anonymousreply 18905/09/2014

Why would someone give up a Cavalier, I wonder, R189. They're such unique dogs, you'd think anyone who had one really wanted to have one.

by Anonymousreply 19005/10/2014

She was rescued from a puppy mill, R190. She was used for breeding and then turned out when she didn't produce enough puppies. Unfortunately there are plenty of dogs in this situation where they are too old/abused to sell as pets and not profitable as breeding dogs.

Since she was in a puppy mill from birth to the age of 6 she acts a little funny... very skittish and hand shy at times. But she is a very sweet little girl and I wouldn't trade her for the world. She's enjoying the good life now: lots of love, attention, and human food (she lives to eat!) and becoming more like a regular dog everyday.

by Anonymousreply 19105/10/2014

How wonderful that you found each other, R191.

by Anonymousreply 19205/10/2014

thanks R192-- she lights up my life

by Anonymousreply 19305/10/2014

I'd love to have a Shiba Inu. No dog for me, though, because I'm away from home for too long during the day and travel on many weekends. Wouldn't be fair to a dog. Shibas are supposed to be very catlike: independent and unusually clean. Also, smart and stubborn. Seems like an interesting companion. The fox-like appearance is also a plus.

by Anonymousreply 19405/10/2014

i LOVE basset hounds. I have two of them and they are sisters. They're very sweet and have a great sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 19505/10/2014

I saw one out for a walk today, R193; I thought of you and your dog.

by Anonymousreply 19605/10/2014

Get a cat.

by Anonymousreply 19705/11/2014

Alsatians are the best. I'm lying in bed with my wee girl snoring on my shoulder as I type. Sweetest dog ever.

by Anonymousreply 19805/11/2014

Is your Alsatian still a puppy, R198? I've never heard of one being referred to as "wee" before.

by Anonymousreply 19905/11/2014

She's a puppy in spirit, but is now a little over 3 years old. She's only 65 lbs so a little small. Wee is more a term of affection.

by Anonymousreply 20005/11/2014

We had what we called German Shepherds, or mixes thereof, my entire childhood (USA northeast). Sweet dogs. I believe they're what you call Alsatians.

by Anonymousreply 20105/11/2014

Retired Racing Greyhound.

Sweet, quietly affectionate, non-barking (generally), and eager to please. A real pal, and a great dog for an adult who would enjoy all the qualities of a puppy in an already house-broken dog. No barking, no fighting, no jumping up on people. Of course no playing catch, fetching or swimming either, they can't do any of that, but I hate throwing balls endlessly with other dogs anyway.

by Anonymousreply 20205/11/2014

Good to know, R202. I've thought about getting a retired greyhound. I can't stand the idea of having to throw a ball over and over and over -- and you do -- because it's what your dog requires.

by Anonymousreply 20305/11/2014

old greyhounds can't run at all?

by Anonymousreply 20405/11/2014

R7 I agree with you about Schnauzers I like them too but I had them as a kid, teenager, and young adult.

by Anonymousreply 20505/11/2014

OMG, they have the same ears at R170.

by Anonymousreply 20605/12/2014

[quote]Of course no playing catch, fetching or swimming either, they can't do any of that

Huh? I don't understand, why can't retired Greyhounds run or swim?

by Anonymousreply 20705/12/2014

Because they're retired. Does everything have to be spelled out for you?

by Anonymousreply 20805/12/2014

I had an Irish Wolfhound. She was the sweetest dog I ever had. So gentle. She loved people, dogs and particularly cats. She was crazy about cats. Once I was walking her in the woods and we bumped into a cat wandering around. She was so happy. She chased the cat till it was backed up against a shed. Poor cat thought it was breathing its last. She lay down and started licking that cat. I'll never forget the look on that cat's face.

But Irish Wolfhounds live very short lives. Mine died when she was 5, which is just about par for the course for them. I'd never get one again because of that. Still miss her.

by Anonymousreply 20905/12/2014

Rottweiler

by Anonymousreply 21005/12/2014

Why the DL mascot, the Doberhuahua, silly.

by Anonymousreply 21105/12/2014

R191, today's Daily Puppy is a King Charles.

by Anonymousreply 21205/13/2014

LOVE the Doberhuahua, best commercial ever!

by Anonymousreply 21305/13/2014

I love my Australian Shepherd - but I know we got lucky that he's pretty low-maintenance.

A few block walk and he's fine. I have friends with Aussies who have to spend at least an hour at the park throwing a ball or they'll be incredibly destructive.

But mine would much rather just sit next to me and get petted.

by Anonymousreply 21405/13/2014

what a cutie R212-- and he's Blenheim (brownish red and white) just like my little girl.

BTW, she's looking forward to dinner tonight because I'm making salisbury steak and mashed potatoes. I normally make her a little mini patty so she can have one all to herself and feel special.

by Anonymousreply 21505/13/2014

Cats.

by Anonymousreply 21605/13/2014

You're a delightfully devoted doggie daddy, R215.

by Anonymousreply 21705/13/2014

Thanks R217!

by Anonymousreply 21805/13/2014

My least favorite is Solange Knowles.

by Anonymousreply 21905/13/2014

I'm a cat person who loves dogs ( never owned one, but have kept my sisters's Cockapoo and Schnoodle when she was traveling on business); and this is an *awesome* thread. So many great stories and character sketches. Especially the "grumbling" Sheltie mixes. Hilarious!

R209, I loved your post. So sorry for your loss.

Catahoulas are awesome dogs, and so striking in person. I'm from Louisiana, and have seen many over the years. Interestingly, however, I see them a great deal less now than I used to. Wonder if they're falling off in popularity here?

Any thoughts on/experiences with Basenjis? I have read they are quite catlike. My ex's weed dealer had a Schipperke with the most amazing coat that felt just like cat hair. He did not deserve that dog.

by Anonymousreply 22005/14/2014

Pit bull

by Anonymousreply 22105/20/2014

Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen

by Anonymousreply 22207/07/2014

Cockapoos. Geniuses, seriously, and brave and loyal and loving. One saved my life, for real.

Parsons-wire coat-Jack Russell. Pathologically determined and cute. See sitcom Frasier.

The real German shepherds...as in Germany legal bloodlines (it always comes down to blood purity!) or found in those million dollar GS fighting with soldiers and guarding embassy in Afghanistan. Stunning looks, big brains.

by Anonymousreply 22307/07/2014

Golden Retreiver. So sweet. I also love cavaliers and mini schnauzers, extremely loyal dogs.

by Anonymousreply 22407/07/2014

Jack Russell Terriers! I have 3, they're overactive and comic, always make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 22507/07/2014

teacup maltese and toy poddle

by Anonymousreply 22607/07/2014

corgi: both pembroke and cardigan

by Anonymousreply 22707/07/2014

R220 here, with a pic of my sister's sweet Schnoodle boy:

by Anonymousreply 22807/07/2014

I love scrappy little terriers. I have a Jack Russell mix and last year got a Smooth Fox Terrier, both are shelter dogs. The Smooth Fox terrier is a real character. She was picked up as a stray and never claimed. I don't know why someone would let this cool dog go. Both of my dogs are personality plus.

by Anonymousreply 22907/07/2014

Akitas

by Anonymousreply 23007/07/2014

A corgi. They are loving and fairly quiet and easy to take care of.

by Anonymousreply 23107/07/2014

a dog has to be small, white & fluffy

by Anonymousreply 23207/07/2014

Many of the military dogs are Mals now. Sadly, the GSDs have been bred into ill-health, even in the higher end European lines.

I'd love a couple of Malnois. They are super smart, loyal as fuck and generally cool animals.

by Anonymousreply 23307/07/2014

Lassie was my favorite show as a child so collie is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 23407/07/2014

I love my Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Cuter than hell and about as loveable as a dog could be, both of them.

by Anonymousreply 23509/17/2014

BASSET HOUNDS! I have two girls who are sisters.

by Anonymousreply 23609/17/2014

Anything but fluffy. Shorthairs only.

And please don't call a dog a "love sponge." He or she is a dog.

by Anonymousreply 23709/17/2014

Well, get you, R237. If I want to call my dogs "love sponges", I will. They are far nicer, more loyal and more loveable than the vast majority of human beings I've ever met.

by Anonymousreply 23809/17/2014

I'm with R1. But I'd take any dog. I'm counting the days till I can get myself a puppy. Unfortunately, that won't happen till I retire. Fortunately, that's only a few years off. I can't imagine having a pet and being away for 12 hours a day.

by Anonymousreply 23909/17/2014

It just sounds douche-y, R238. I'm sure your dogs are absolutely lovely. I stopped to talk to a CSC at Whole Foods yesterday. I just think it's embarrassing for the dog to be called a "love sponge."

Also, a friend of mine abandoned his two dogs, to whom he always referred as "love sponges," when he chose -- not had, [italic]chose[/italic] -- to move to a condo that didn't allow dogs. The phrase, which has always made me cringe, now makes me angry every time I hear it.

My friend is a pussy, it turns out, someone who lets his husband decide [italic]everything[/italic] for him. I guess he's a "love sponge," too.

by Anonymousreply 24009/17/2014

You are nothing without a poodle. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 24109/17/2014

Havanese.

by Anonymousreply 24209/17/2014

My dog is sponge-worthy!

by Anonymousreply 24309/17/2014

Dingo.

I want to kill every fucking constantly barking dog in my neighborhood but know that I'd get less time in prison for offing a human being.

by Anonymousreply 24409/17/2014

Bichon Frise!!! Playful, funny, & charming.

by Anonymousreply 24509/17/2014

Except when they're not, R245. A friend has one called "Spot," but most call him "Snot."

by Anonymousreply 24609/17/2014

Maltese

by Anonymousreply 24709/17/2014

R162 R168 (and the poster from Louisiana) I hadn't ever seen let alone met a Catahoula until 2007 when I became friends with two people (didn't know each other) who had them. One Cat came from a shelter in MA, the other was a Rez dog, found along the roadside in Hopi Indian Rez country. Both are female. Such smart intuitive dogs! I would share my life with one for sure.

All my life I've been in love with Scottish Deerhounds. I've never had the space or lifestyle for one so far, sad to say. I've decided to volunteer for Deerhound Rescue - they get my assistance and I get my fill of Deerhound contact. Win win.

My Sheltie was a very ethereal dog; she was a beautiful pale blue Merle with a wonderful disposition. People adored her - even people who didn't like dogs really warmed up to her. She lived to be nearly 18. I would LOVE another Sheltie but the grooming was so intensive and I don't want that again.

I grew up with wire-haired dachshunds and they are a hoot. Very willful! My friend's long-haired dachshund is so endearing I'd love to spend more time with his goofy, canny, clownishness.

My new best dog friend is a medium sized blonde wiry coated mutt named Gracie (my efforts to post a photo keep failing.) She was a beach dog, a stray on Eleuthera who my friends in MA adopted and brought home. She is likely the smartest, most open minded, reasoning dog I've ever met. I get to dog sit frequently so it's almost like she's my four-legged roommate.

by Anonymousreply 24809/17/2014

Rhodesian Ridgeback. Awesome dogs but they need lots of exercise.

by Anonymousreply 24909/17/2014

I have a West Highland White Terrier. The dog is such a character. Loves for everyone to give her attention, wants the petting and compliments. Terriers IMO, are cool dogs and tend to be very alert. I had a poodle, a beagle, a Lhasa Apso. All good breeds as well, but this dog is a crack-up. And we gave it a corny name; Snowflake. My vote goes for the Westies.

by Anonymousreply 25005/09/2015

Any dog that doesn't bark all damn day like a fucking retard (like German Shepherds).

by Anonymousreply 25105/09/2015

West Highland Terrier. My neighbour has one, called Boomer, and that pooch is utterly adorable and completely cuddle-inducing. I prefer terriers to bigger dogs, mostly because they have great personalities, but because they're lower-maintenance and, with breeds like Westies, they can sometimes be brilliant companions.

Not a fan of Labradoodles. They look like they ride the special bus in the dog world.

by Anonymousreply 25205/09/2015

Bloodhound just like Duke from the Beverly Hillbillies.

by Anonymousreply 25305/09/2015
Need more help? Click Here.