Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do so many in the entertainment industry commit suicide?

Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland and there's more I just can't remember them all right now.

by Anonymousreply 8403/27/2013

It's hard to understand why, given how notoriously selfless and emotionally stable people in the entertainment industry are.

by Anonymousreply 103/22/2013

Technically I think Judy and Marilyn both died accidentally.

by Anonymousreply 203/22/2013

Many people of all types commit suicide. When someone in the entertainment industry does it, lots of people hear about it. When someone unknown does it, not quite as many people hear about it.

by Anonymousreply 303/22/2013

There haven't really been that many celebrity suicides. There are more accidental deaths from overdose than there are suicides.

Kurt Cobain and Tony Scott are two who come to mind.

Owen Wilson attempted.

by Anonymousreply 403/22/2013

Judy was murdered. A friend of mine claims he dated Mickey Deans right after she died and that he killed her because she was a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 503/22/2013

Witches.

by Anonymousreply 603/22/2013

Judy's overdose was accidental.

by Anonymousreply 703/22/2013

It's not that many when you think about the thousands upon thousands upon thousands of actors there have been.

by Anonymousreply 803/22/2013

I felt suicidal when we had to sit through "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" with Scarjo and Mamie's gay husband. My only consolation was that at least Joe Papp didn't live to see it.

by Anonymousreply 903/22/2013

Peg Entwistle's ghost is apparently a real bitch. I mean I could understand a sorrowful spirit, but she's aggressively mean. The damn thing chases you all the way down the Hollywood sign hill.

by Anonymousreply 1003/22/2013

I think we need a list!!! A comprehensive List!!!

I'll start:

Ed Flanders from St. Elsewhere(my father's show)

Jessica Alba (at least the authorities said it looked that way)

Brian Keith

Richard Farnsworth

Madonna's dignity

by Anonymousreply 1103/22/2013

I always felt terrible for Lupe Velez. She wanted to go out in grand style looking like an angel and instead they found her with her head in the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 1203/22/2013

Easy access to drugs make it easy for already unstable people to accidentally or purposely commit suicide.

by Anonymousreply 1303/22/2013

Lol r1 so true.

r12 I know, what a bitch life can be..all puky and in the bathroom instead of beautifully in bed with hair draped across the pillow..

by Anonymousreply 1403/22/2013

Abnormal Psychology.

by Anonymousreply 1503/22/2013

Jessica Alba?

by Anonymousreply 1603/22/2013

Wait for it r16....you'll see

by Anonymousreply 1703/23/2013

Inger Stevens

Charles Boyer

by Anonymousreply 1803/23/2013

most of the cast of Glee will be dead in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 1903/23/2013

I wonder why Lupe Valez would even want to commit suicide. Wasn't she the Mexican Spitfire? Seems she would have too much fire to want to end it all. Well from what little I know about her.

by Anonymousreply 2003/23/2013

George Sanders (Addison in "All About Eve")

by Anonymousreply 2103/23/2013

She was the one who was banging Tarzan wasn't she r20? I read about it in Hollywood Babylon, I think they broke up and I know she was going broke. She ordered a bunch of flowers to surround herself with in her death room and had to charge them or something.

by Anonymousreply 2203/23/2013

Cut throat ruthless business, people get hooked on drugs or fame or both.

by Anonymousreply 2303/23/2013

Interesting R22. I had no idea she was banging Tarzan. Looked him up and he was a good looking guy. Don't know why she would want to leave that. I'd sure stick around.

by Anonymousreply 2403/23/2013

The Industry values youth and good looks.

If your ego is wrapped up in that mindset, you are not going to deal with aging very well.

by Anonymousreply 2503/23/2013

They have great access to all kinds of drugs, legal and illegal, and alcohol, so many of the so-called "suicides" were accidental overdoses. I think in fact that most of them were unintentional, starting with Alan Ladd, many decades ago, and including Garland, Presley, Jackson, et al. They start drinking and don't pay attention to the pills they are taking.

by Anonymousreply 2603/23/2013

I don't think she wanted to leave r24, I think he did and yeah, that could be pretty shitty, losing a hot piece like him and your career would suck.

by Anonymousreply 2703/23/2013

Whitney too, R26.

by Anonymousreply 2803/23/2013

Because Ron Hubbard commands it.

by Anonymousreply 2903/23/2013

Reports are that they found no drugs in Marilyn's stomach. Her industry friends claim she was in great spirits. Close friends feel she was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 3003/23/2013

Keith Andes, Marilyn's co-star in the underrated, "Clash By Night". He had one of the most beautiful physiques in the industry!

The talented Mr. Gig Young.

by Anonymousreply 3103/23/2013

Romy Schneider

Capucine

Jean Seberg

Elizabeth Hartman

Maggie McNamara

Carole Landis

Child actors like Timothy Hovey and Rusty Hamer.

by Anonymousreply 3203/23/2013

Jean Seberg's death remains a mystery....it could have been murder

by Anonymousreply 3303/23/2013

R12, Lupe's death by toilet, as immortalized by Andy Warhol and Kenneth Anger may be an apocryphal one. Newspapers at the time reported that Lupe was found dead in her bedroom by her secretary. The autopsy reports made no mentioned of a drowning or any injury to her noggin. Of course, such a death might be too embarrassing to disclose, but it seems next to impossible for an unconscious person to keep their head in the toilet bowl. I'd imagine the body would slump down to the floor.

Kenneth Anger may have also fabricated the demise of Gwili Andre, claiming that she, despondent over her failed movie career, gathered all her old magazines, press clippings, and assorted memorabilia into a pile, set them on fire, and threw herself onto the pyre. A sordid, melodramatic ending, but there is no evidence of this. The newspapers at the time reported that her Venice, CA apartment went up in flames and that she was found alive, sprawled on her bedroom floor surrounded by boxes. She was rushed to the hospital where she succumbed to her injuries. There was no mention of a pyre, no mention of a suicide attempt. She was 51 years old at the time of her death (1959). A Garbo-esque beauty, Andre retired from showbiz around the same time as Garbo.

by Anonymousreply 3403/23/2013

The suicides of Kurt Cobain, Freddie Prinze, and David Strickland are still pretty disturbing to me, because they were so young and had their whole lives and careers ahead of them.

by Anonymousreply 3503/23/2013

It wasn't Tarzan because they were divorced before the time of her death.Apparently she was pregnant by some c rated two bit actor who sounds like a loser.He was from Austria who was trying to make it in American films. She felt ashamed that she was pregnant out of wedlock, and asked him to marry her,but he refused. After Lupe committed suicide, his career was ditched in Hollywood because everyone blamed him for her death.

Here is the link:

by Anonymousreply 3603/23/2013

That's right r36..thank you. I know that some of Anger's stuff is totally dramatic and exaggerated but there was that one woman profiled in HB who killed herself (I think) and her dog had to start eating on her..that was crazy and there was even a picture. I don't have the book anymore, does anyone remember that? r34 r20/36?

by Anonymousreply 3703/23/2013

Don't forget Margaret Sullavan, who offed herself on New Year's Day 1960. That's one hell of a New Year's resolution.

by Anonymousreply 3803/23/2013

Pete Duel. :(

by Anonymousreply 3903/23/2013

There are so many suicides in the industry because the business is full of witches. Fucking FULL of them. They're everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 4003/23/2013

[quote][R12] I know, what a bitch life can be..all puky and in the bathroom instead of beautifully in bed with hair draped across the pillow..

This is why I have a hard time believing that Marilyn's death was caused by an overdose of pills. People who overdose have convulsions, vomit, and are usually found in contorted positions. Yet Marilyn was found lying face down on her bed with the telephone in her hand, as if she simply fell asleep while talking on the phone. Very staged, not to mention there was no liquids found in her room (Marilyn always had her pills with a drink) and no residue in her stomach. The whole thing reeks of a cover-up.

by Anonymousreply 4103/23/2013

Marilyn was murdered by the Kennedys.

by Anonymousreply 4203/23/2013

r41 Sing it! It reeks almost as much as Lupe's puky room. I agree about Marilyn and I bet ..I want to say 50% of my agers (40) agree too, but I am just guessing.

by Anonymousreply 4303/23/2013

Jonathan Brandis, 27. Hanged himself.

by Anonymousreply 4403/23/2013

Yes r44 I meant to mention that earlier. His case was really sad because according to his friends he wasn't a drug abuser or drinker, I guess just a guy who felt hopeless. His reminds me of Strickland's, just so seemingly random.

by Anonymousreply 4503/23/2013

David Strickland from Suddenly Susan

Freddie Prinze

by Anonymousreply 4603/23/2013

Yeah, , I remember Pete Duel's death. It was such a shock. After he took his life, I remember looking at a picture of him smiling, and wondering what sort of demons lurked behind that handsome smile. He was ome of my celebrity crushes when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 4703/23/2013

mama

by Anonymousreply 4803/23/2013

55 year old geezer at r47, what do you think about some of the things we have talked about, as someone who was a little closer to some of these things? And I'm not being facetious, I am 40 but there is a world of difference in celebs I remember dying (Lennon) and you do. I mean, just curious if you have anything scandalous to say about anything.

by Anonymousreply 4903/23/2013

More of a musical theater performer than film/TV actor, but entertainment industry nonetheless: Jason Raize, who was best known for originating the role of adult Simba in Broadway's THE LION KING, hanged himself in early 2004 when he was just 28. I don't know the full details or why he was so depressed, but I remember hearing about it at the time and thinking it was so sad. I didn't know him from Adam, so I didn't follow his career, but when his death was reported they mentioned his theater credits and I then remembered him as Simba and seeing pictures of him in his costume when the show first opened in 1997. He was barechested and I remember thinking, "What a beautiful specimen!"

by Anonymousreply 5003/23/2013

That is sad r50. Like Strickland and Brandes. Oh and I just thought of Rob Pilati (?) Milli Vanilli guy with green eyes, he killed himself too. I was pretty sad, I loved him.

by Anonymousreply 5103/23/2013

For a lot of mental cases the job description for acting (pretending to be someone else) is very alluring and promising. But like alcohol and drugs your personal problems don't go away and they keep bothering you more and more and you add more problems (including the exploitation by those you trust or not even like but have to endure because it's part of your job) on the way until you spiral down to the bottom with the media, your (remaining) fans, and other strangers watching.

by Anonymousreply 5203/23/2013

The picture above is not of Jason Raize

by Anonymousreply 5303/23/2013

Judy died for our sins.

by Anonymousreply 5403/23/2013

What R52 said.

by Anonymousreply 5503/23/2013

Although he's listed as a sucide, some insist that George Reeves, who played Superman, was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 5603/26/2013

But wasn't Reeve's wife downstairs with their guests when they heard the shot, and they asked and she was really blase' about it, like, "Oh that's probably just George shooting himself." So at least she couldn't have done it. That said, weird shit goes down with Supermans, you couldn't pay me enough to play that role.

Also, just remembered Eldon from Murphy Brown. His gf shot herself (people think it was him that killed her) and then he killed himself a few years later, OD, I think.

by Anonymousreply 5703/26/2013

I thought Romy Schneider was killed in an auto accident?

by Anonymousreply 5803/26/2013

r58 I just looked her up and it says she died of a booze/pill combo after drinking for awhile following her son's death. That was fluky, her kid was 14 and was trying to climb the spiked fence at her husband's parent's house, I guess he slipped and fell on a spike, puncturing his femoral artery.

by Anonymousreply 5903/26/2013

You are about 12 years old I imagine OP, if you think both committed suicide ...

by Anonymousreply 6003/26/2013

r49, ANYONES suicide is tragic, anyones, regardless of how much more "important" they seem.

by Anonymousreply 6103/26/2013

I hope Rebel Wilson isn't too depressed.

by Anonymousreply 6203/26/2013

[quote]ANYONES suicide is tragic, anyones, regardless of how much more "important" they seem

Even Hitler's r61?

by Anonymousreply 6303/26/2013

r61 I was r49 and I don't know if you meant to address me...I didn't say anyone's death wasn't important. I said the celebs I remember dying are probably different then the ones a 55 year old would.

by Anonymousreply 6403/26/2013

Lucille Ball was going to commit suicide, but Gary Morton talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 6503/26/2013

A lot of people get into the entertainment industry because they're damaged, and seek the approval of others.

by Anonymousreply 6603/26/2013

What was the name of the starlet who threw herself off of the Hollywood Sign?

by Anonymousreply 6703/26/2013

r67 Peg Entwistle.

by Anonymousreply 6803/26/2013

Cupucine

I'm also 55. As a child, I had a huge crush on Inger Stevens. I know she had a tragic life, she had so much to offer as actress

I remember Pete Deul from "Love on a Rooftop" and "Alias Smith and Jones." He was quite dashing, but another tortured soul.

by Anonymousreply 6903/26/2013

"Judy's overdose was accidental."

Yes, but she TRIED to kill herself a dozen times with razors, glass and Seconal.

by Anonymousreply 7003/26/2013

"Let's see... right now she's one up on me for suicide attempts, but I'm two up on her for nervous breakdowns!"

--Oscar Levant discussing Judy Garland on THE TONIGHT SHOW in the early 60s

by Anonymousreply 7103/26/2013

[quote]A lot of people get into the entertainment industry because they're damaged, and seek the approval of others.

All of them.

by Anonymousreply 7203/26/2013

Charles Rocket cut his own throat.

Richard Jeni shot himself.

by Anonymousreply 7303/26/2013

Judy didn't commit suicide. She died from a mix of booze and meds. It's a common mistake people make...Heath Ledger , Elvis. You can just about take all the xanex you want and not die. You can drink all you want and most likley you will puke it up before you get alcohol poisoning...put them together and you have a cocktail that will kill you

by Anonymousreply 7403/26/2013

[quote]You can drink all you want and most likley you will puke it up before you get alcohol poisoning.

No, no, no!

That's not always true.

by Anonymousreply 7503/26/2013

R75... That is why I said "most likely" ..trust me..I live with an alchy

by Anonymousreply 7603/26/2013

I came up with these names (I don't think mentioned already) off the top of my head)

Barbara Bates Spalding Gray Philip Loeb (due to the HUAC blacklist) Rick Jason ("Combat!") Walter Slezak Herve Villechaize Ray Combs Dave Garroway Mindy McCready Sid Vicious Clara Blandick (Aunt Em) Rachel Roberts (overdosed om pills, drank lye, and threw herself through a plate glass door) Brad Davis Richard Quine Phyllis Hyman Anthony Holland David Rappaport Brenda Benet (ex-wife of Bill Bixby) Everett Sloane Ona Munson (Belle Watling in GWTW) Margeaux Hemingway Dana Plato Andrew Koenig ('Boner' from "Growing Pains") Marie McDonald ("The Body Beautiful) Del Shannon Libby Holman Richard Webb Susannah McCorkle (cabaret singer)

by Anonymousreply 7703/26/2013

Good one r77, also Wheels from Degrassi Junior HIgh (the original) not Hollywood but I loved him.

by Anonymousreply 7803/26/2013

This post should be renamed the Charles Rocket Boxcutter Memorial thread.

by Anonymousreply 7903/26/2013

Pier Angeli. Marisa Pavan's twin sister, and a big star at MGM.

Bella Darvi

Gia Scala

Janet Munro

Will Rogers, Jr.

Carlos Thompson

by Anonymousreply 8003/27/2013

Drake Sather. Promising comic and writer.

James Cardwell. Was one of the 5 Sullivan brothers in "The Fighting Sullivans".

by Anonymousreply 8103/27/2013

Hard Candy and MDNA were career suicides.

by Anonymousreply 8203/27/2013

Brad Davis? He died of Aids.

by Anonymousreply 8303/27/2013

Janet Jackson ate herself to death.

by Anonymousreply 8403/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.