Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Matt Smith To Leave Dr. Who At Christmas

22nd March 2013

DOCTOR Who bosses are lining up Matt Smith’s exit for Christmas — when he will regenerate into the 12th Time Lord.

Insiders say the festive special will be Matt’s last outing as The Doctor, after a triumphant four years in the role.

The actor has made no bones about his ambition to crack Hollywood and has filmed new movie How To Catch A Monster with Ryan Gosling, which is released next year.

Sources say bosses already have an idea of who they want to replace him, with work on the special due to get under way later in the year.

Matt’s contract is understood to expire in November but we understand he doesn’t want it renewed.

Filming on the 50th anniversary episode, airing in November, will begin next month.

Matt refused to commit to a Doctor Who future beyond Christmas when interviewed on Jonathan Ross’s show last week.

He said: “I am very happy doing it. I do the anniversary special, then the Christmas special. At the moment it’s 2013 and we will see what 2014 holds.” An insider said: “Matt has told bosses he wants to bow out at Christmas.”

Matt was little known when he signed up for the role in 2009, bagging a £200,000-a-year deal. It’s thought he now earns £1million a year — the same as previous Time Lord David Tennant when he left.

Last night, the BBC said in a statement: “Sorry folks but even we don’t know what’s going to happen at Christmas. It’s not been written yet! But Matt loves the show and is to start filming the unmissable 50th anniversary, and the new series starting on Easter Saturday.”

by Anonymousreply 10106/09/2013

I know he gets a lot of love in Whoville but I really don't like his portrayal of the Doctor, and his ... unusual physiognomy ... kinda creeps me out.

by Anonymousreply 103/22/2013

I sure hope they won't manage to cast James Corden as Doctor even though he appeared a couple of times as a different character.

But I am curious in what direction they will be going with the new doctor. There's a lot of action going on with Matt Smith.

by Anonymousreply 203/22/2013

R1- I agree. Creeps me out too. Very strange looking.

by Anonymousreply 303/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 403/22/2013

I remember watching the very first episode in my granma's house back in early 60s and have loved/watched ever since. Matt Smith didn't work for me (like Colin Baker) so I sorta got out of the habit and have only watched his first season. Maybe the next one will rein me in again. Am I correct in thinking the Doctor can only regenerate 13 times? (as a male - that'll be the producers get-out I bet)

by Anonymousreply 503/22/2013

Oops I was wrong. Originally the doctor could only regenerate 12 times (i.e. 13 actors) but the BBC has re-written history, now the official word is "unlimited". The wonders of Google!!

by Anonymousreply 603/22/2013

We do have to remember that this is a report in The Sun and has not been officially confirmed by the BBC.

But having said that, I think Doctors are being changed too often now. There was a time when Doctors would stay for longer than just 3 or 4 years. Tom Baker did 7 years and Jon Pertwee did 5. I think we need more continuity and less changing around.

by Anonymousreply 703/23/2013

Best. News. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 803/23/2013

Why, R8?

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2013

Eh, it's the Sun. They run 'Exclusive news - Doctor Who star to leave next series!" pretty much every single year. They reported that David Tennant was definitely going to be leaving at the end of S3, then the middle of S4, then the end of S4. The article got their salaries completely wrong, too - DT wishes he was on a million a year!

Possibly he is leaving at Christmas, but the Sun's success rate when it comes to Doctor Who news is like 1 in 10.

by Anonymousreply 1003/23/2013

He won me over. I think he's better than Tennant or Baker. He looks exactly how the Doctor should, strange but attractive.

by Anonymousreply 1103/23/2013

He won me over, too, although I'll never love him as much as I love Baker and Tennant.

But I can't imagine that Hollywood is going to gush all over an odd-looking, not-sexy, pasty, skinny English guy like Smith. Overt sex appeal is the first thing Hollywood looks for in an actor, and it's the one thing that a good Doctor can't have.

by Anonymousreply 1203/23/2013

I kept waiting to be won over. It never happened, and I followed his Doctor indifferently and rarely.

Agreed with R1.

by Anonymousreply 1303/23/2013

I like Matt's conception of the Doctor as being sort of pixieish. David Tennant played him too weird. Christopher Eccleston was enjoyable to watch but I never got the feeling from him that he was playing him as anything more or less than a human being. This is an extraterrestrial with two hearts and I like it that Matt gives the audience a nudge occasionally to remind them of this.

You can't have a definitive Doctor any more than you can have a definitive Hamlet. I think they should have a regular turnover so different actors can try him on and do different things with him.

by Anonymousreply 1403/23/2013

When does the new season start? Not that I am really looking forward to it this season with the drama or mystery of that new companion who dies all the time and then shows up again.

Why would Matt not extend his contract? Does filming the miniseries prevent him from taking other roles that neverless fit in his schedule for the rest of the year he is not working?

by Anonymousreply 1503/24/2013

The new season (technically the last half of season 7, not a full season) starts next Saturday. Then that's it until the 50th anniversary special, which starts filming next week and airs in November. Then Matt Smith goes to the US to film a movie, then returns to film the Christmas special over the summer.

God knows when season 8 will be as no one seems to know even when it will film.

by Anonymousreply 1603/24/2013

Sunday, not Saturday, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1703/24/2013

He's announcing it today at the Baftas

by Anonymousreply 1805/12/2013

Well that didn't happen, R18.

by Anonymousreply 1905/12/2013

He turns me off...a dick wilter...I stopped watching the Who because of him...

by Anonymousreply 2005/12/2013

Hope he is leaving. And Moffat too. Smith portrayal was too cartoonish for me. R14 has it right about Eccleston I think. But his very human portrayal made it possible for me to relate to him. Smith's Doctor could never accomplish that for me.

Moffat and his convoluted plots should make an exit too. I'm done with those overboarding twists and turns. Nothing wrong with a mind challenging story, but constant shifts in plots every 3 minutes only feed my ADHD, not my mind.

by Anonymousreply 2105/31/2013

Matt's leaving at Christmas but Moffat's staying for S8.

by Anonymousreply 2205/31/2013

Leaving Dr. WHOM.

by Anonymousreply 2305/31/2013

Loved Eccleston. The only real turn off was the one-shot 8th Doctor (whatever his name was).

by Anonymousreply 2405/31/2013

Paul McGann, R24.

And I don't blame him, not with that godawful one-off American script he had to work with.

by Anonymousreply 2505/31/2013

I've never watched Dr. Who, but I find it interesting that the show has lasted so long with so many different Doctors.

But, how do they make the changes? Is it a Darren Stevens-type change where a new actor comes in to play the same character? Or is "The Doctor" a position on this show that various men have been assigned? Does the same supporting cast remain, or does that change with each Doctor also?

by Anonymousreply 2605/31/2013

R26, The Doctor is an alien. When his species is badly injured they regenerate instead of dying, they basically develop a perfectly healthy new body and a new face. This makes them almost impossible to kill, and functionally immortal.

And it makes it possible to keep your TV series on for decades, if you can just recast your leading role every few years.

by Anonymousreply 2705/31/2013

Matt Smith should stay right where he is. He's too weird looking to make it very far away from the Tardis. He's a great doctor, but that may be his extent as a star.

by Anonymousreply 2805/31/2013

He already has a role in a movie, "How To Catch A Monster". He even had to shave his head for his role.

by Anonymousreply 2905/31/2013

Why doesn't he stay in that side of the Atlantic? He won't make it here.

by Anonymousreply 3005/31/2013

[quote]Matt Smith announces he is to leave Doctor Who

Saturday 1 June 2013

The BBC is today announcing that Matt Smith is to leave Doctor Who after four incredible years on the hit BBC One show. Matt first stepped into the TARDIS in 2010 and will leave the role at the end of this year after starring in the unmissable 50th Anniversary in November and regenerating in the Christmas special. During his time as the Doctor, Matt has reached over 30 million unique UK viewers and his incarnation has seen the show go truly global. He was also the first actor to be nominated for a BAFTA in the role.

by Anonymousreply 3106/01/2013

Is it too much to hope for that they cast a non-white actor to be Twelve?

by Anonymousreply 3206/01/2013

Interesting that The Sun accurately predicted this on March 22 - their info turned out to be completely correct.

by Anonymousreply 3306/01/2013

VotN - how about a woman?

Plenty of strong ladies who could play The Doctor - looking after handsome young boys in peril.

I always thought that Liz Sladen would have made a BRILLIANT Doctor...particularly in her latter "SJA" guise (never to be, alas alas)

Russell Tovey might make a good Doc even at his age - an infinitely old, infinitely wise being stuck in the body of a young man...

by Anonymousreply 3406/01/2013

Let's forget the idea of Doctor Who being a woman. There's no evidence that Time Lords can change genders when they regenerate, and it would probably turn off a lot of viewers.

by Anonymousreply 3506/01/2013

[quote]VotN - how about a woman?

I'd even prefer that to a non-white doctor, but I suspect the fans would riot.

[quote]There's no evidence that Time Lords can change genders when they regenerate

Actually, that's come up twice, when Eleven first appeared and again in the Neil Gaiman-authored "The Doctor's Wife."

by Anonymousreply 3606/01/2013

I'm curious why you are asking this question?

The easy answer is No. It's not too much too hope for.

Considering the characters and casting for the last seven seasons - it hardly seems unreasonable or surprising.

We've seen pretty, plain, old, young, rich, poor, college degrees, high school degrees, black, white, male, female...

by Anonymousreply 3706/01/2013

"VotN - how about a woman? "

The Doctor did mention his old pal The Corsair, a Time Lord who had spent a couple of regenerations as a woman. However, the way he said it made it sound like it was very unusual for a Time Lord to change sex during regeneration.

Besides, I just don't trust the BBC to get female casting right. A female Doctor would have to be an extremely strong, dominating personality (like Judi Dench, who pushes James Bond around), and the Beeb is determined to fill the show with cute young females.

by Anonymousreply 3806/01/2013

The Doctor has always been white - why change it now?

by Anonymousreply 3906/01/2013

Donna Noble played by Catherine Tate - born in 1968.

River Song played by Alex Kingston born in 1963.

Madame Vastra played by Neve McIntosh born in 1972

by Anonymousreply 4006/01/2013

[quote]Considering the characters and casting for the last seven seasons - it hardly seems unreasonable or surprising.

Rose - White

Jack - White

Martha - Black

Donna - White

Amy - White

Rory - White

Clara - White

That's not terribly inspiring to me. It's 20-bloody-13, and London is one of the most diverse cities on the planet. They could do better.

by Anonymousreply 4106/01/2013

R41 - if you want to run it just by the numbers. In your example one out of seven were not white.

That is roughly 14%. Which is almost exactly the non-white population of Great Britain.

You want to claim minorities are under represented in television and movies. You won't get an argument from me.

You just picked a lousy example.

by Anonymousreply 4206/01/2013

VotN - you missed Mikey (Black)

by Anonymousreply 4306/02/2013

Inside the show the Doctor is an alien whose appearance changes when he regenerates. However, there is little or no evidence his species shifts gender or race (whatever race means on Gallifrey). Outside the show, the Doctor is a flagship character for a British show whose consistent features across 50 years are being a white male with an affinity for the culture and history of Britain. If the BBC went for stunt-casting (which is what casting a woman, a non-white male, or even a non-Brit male, would be), it would have a pretty good chance of destroying the show. It will not do this.

by Anonymousreply 4406/02/2013

I've always wanted a Lady Doctor and was quite hopeful when they mentioned The Corsair, but I agree with VoTN that it would be too progressive for the Beeb. Although I heard rumblings that his current companion might be a Time Lord.

That aside, wasn't Martha's family gorgeous?

by Anonymousreply 4506/02/2013

I thought John Hurt was the next Doctor?

by Anonymousreply 4606/02/2013

John Hurt is playing a past Doctor in one episode. Not clear yet if he will be considered a 'real' incarnation of the Doctor or not.

by Anonymousreply 4706/02/2013

A past Doctor? Did they say that? I thought he was a future Doctor. At least that was my impression. If he is a past Doctor, could he be a totally different incarnation, somewhere between Eight and Nine?

by Anonymousreply 4806/02/2013

R48 Something like that. Or he could be from a parallel universe like the Cybus Cybermen. Of course a future Doctor is easy to write in.

by Anonymousreply 4906/02/2013

I'm thrilled. I can't stand Matt Smith or his Inspector Gadget style performance.

I really hope Paterson Joseph gets the role. He was tipped last time and would make a truly perfect Dr.

by Anonymousreply 5006/02/2013

I thought John Hurt was playing a future doctor, and I thought he would be a combination of the real doctor and the entity who infiltrated his timeline. As an evil doctor, that would be another reason why so many in the galaxy wanted him dead for good. I've lost track of the River Song history line and the battles still to come.

Also, wasn't River Song non-Caucasian in one of her incarnations, Mel I think her name was?

by Anonymousreply 5106/02/2013

During the regeneration scene of 10 to 11, Matt Smith felt his long hair and said something like "I'm a woman?!", then felt his adam's apple, and concluded "no, still a man." I'm paraphrasing -- don't remember the precise dialogue -- but it was clear that regenerating as a woman is within the realm of Whovian possibility.

by Anonymousreply 5206/02/2013

Dr. Who is the worst science fiction series of the past decade. The show is mawkish and puerile - the few good ideas the show has are destroyed by the execrable acting and infantile dialogue. The staff writers at io9 are obsessed with this crap, and it's killing their site.

by Anonymousreply 5306/02/2013

Iris Elba is a name I have seen touted as a possibility, VOTN. Other names that are unlikely but people would like to see are David Morrissey and the Batch. Ben Whishaw's name is also out there which might please some on here. It probably won't be any of them but the discussion is fun.

by Anonymousreply 5406/02/2013

It's a white male actor who's been cast as 12.

by Anonymousreply 5506/02/2013

Shame Robert Carlyle is tied up on ABC's Once Upon A Time. He'd be a brilliant doctor. He was considered for the role between Tennant and Smith I think but ended up doing Stargate Universe instead which fizzled after 2 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 5606/02/2013

[quote]Iris Elba is a name I have seen touted as a possibility, VOTN.

That was my thought as well.

by Anonymousreply 5706/02/2013

R56 I agree. I love RC he would have made quite an inspired choice.

by Anonymousreply 5806/02/2013

There's no way Idris Elba would give up his burgeoning A-list film career to do 14 episodes a year of a British TV show. He's likely to be up for an Oscar for playing Mandela next year. Right now, he barely has time to do Luther, and that's four episodes.

Hell, Matt Smith is leaving DW because he wants to pursue a film career. It's a good role for a character actor or a younger actor who wants to start a career, but not for an established star like Idris.

by Anonymousreply 5906/02/2013

I considered Elba highly unlikely, but he's the first place my mind went.

I also think getting an Indian actor could be interesting.

Whoever it ends up being, I'd just like it to be someone who isn't as twitchy as Matt Smith has been. From what I understand, when he was preparing for the role and was watching through all the old serials, Two was the one that really connected with him, and so some of his contant hand movement comes from Patrick Troughton.

by Anonymousreply 6006/02/2013

[quote] Matt Smith is leaving DW because he wants to pursue a film career. Maybe I am too cynical by now from reading too much DL. But I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't want to leave at all but was rather let go (or less dramatic: his contract expired and Moffatt or BBC were just not interested in renewing). They need to keep the show fresh and four years is the right time for a turnover and try something new. Personally I'd say that Smith's interpretation of the Doctor has its limitation, intentionally or not. Changing the actor is somewhat risky, but it also enables you to take scripts in a totally different direction.

Pursuing a movie career? Sound pretty much like 'we no longer require you but feel free to tell the press that you wanted to leave.' Happens in Hollywood every day.

by Anonymousreply 6106/02/2013

Idris Elba is too beautiful - the doctor needs to be a little quirky looking.

I like the Paterson Joseph suggestion; he's good at comedy.

Also like the kid who played Neville in Harry Potter. He grew up quirky-hot and could be a good doctor!

by Anonymousreply 6206/02/2013

Good money is on Benjamin Daniels . He's a ginger- which the doctor has been alluding to in the past two regenerations.

by Anonymousreply 6306/03/2013

Would they have the Doctor played by an openly gay actor?

by Anonymousreply 6406/03/2013

They will NEVER let a woman be the Doctor.

They're core fanbase is a bunch of geeky insecure white chauvinists (i.e., Moffat-types) who believe the 'typical' icon of England is the know-it-all white guy.

100% of the production team are now white men.

It will be a white guy. It will ALWAYS be a white guy.

by Anonymousreply 6506/03/2013

Any more guesses?

I wonder if the rumors about Moffat pissing everyone off were true. It seems that there's been a high turn around during his reign.

by Anonymousreply 6606/03/2013

Was "The Name of the Doctor" supposed to be River Song's final appearance? I mean, the River that appeared was the one who had died in the Library and was then resurrected in its computer by Ten. AFAIK, that's the first time they've referred to her death during Eleven's time.

I hope they at least keep the current iteration of the Console Room after he regenerates. It's the first time since Eleven appeared that I've liked the set.

by Anonymousreply 6706/03/2013

[quote]Was "The Name of the Doctor" supposed to be River Song's final appearance?

She might reappear in a cameo or something but her story is over. Yes. I don't get where people aren't grasping that she's GONE now. Although Alex Kingston kindly said she'd come back whenever they wanted her- I don't see it happening. They invested a decent amount of time in the finale to explain and resolved her ending. It was a decent send off - even though there were some lose ends.

Matt Smith's Eleven was "her doctor" and she was his tragic-love story. It's not surprising they quickly wrapped up River's story knowing that he's leaving.

by Anonymousreply 6806/03/2013

Copied from the other thread,

[quote]So as far as we know 11 will never interact with Capt. Jack. How sad.

Yeah, um. Jack- the face of Boe— is never coming back either.

It's amusing that fans think Jack and River will ever be on there again. The BBC is so done with them. They practically had to shoe-horn River's appearance in the finale just to explain that she was dead and not coming back.

by Anonymousreply 6906/03/2013

Don't shoot the messenger, but my sources tell me that Rupert Grint is on the short list.

by Anonymousreply 7006/03/2013

Actually, Rupert Grint might make a good Doctor, when he's older and has learned a bit more about the craft of acting.

But he really is too young. Not a lot younger than Smith when he started, but Smith has always had the prematurely wizened young-old thing going on. Grint, if anything, seems younger than his years.

by Anonymousreply 7106/03/2013

I could go with Rupert Grint if I could get the image of him making that "OMG I'm scared" face out of my head.

by Anonymousreply 7206/03/2013

Who? in what?

by Anonymousreply 7306/03/2013

The 12th Doctor has already been cast, and it's a white man. Not Ben Daniels, unfortunately, though I would have loved him in the role.

I don't know who it is (or I'd say), I only know a few things. My friend who works on the show told me. He did show me some footage from the 50th though and it looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 7406/03/2013

It would be pretty cool if the new Doctor remained a secret until the actual regeneration takes place. Just once I really want to be surprised.

by Anonymousreply 7506/05/2013

[quote]It would be pretty cool if the new Doctor remained a secret until the actual regeneration takes place.

I agree!!

by Anonymousreply 7606/05/2013

It would be cool, but impractical. He's being announced next month.

by Anonymousreply 7706/05/2013

Ben C would have been amazing.

by Anonymousreply 7806/06/2013

I would be very surprised if River Song doesn't show up again. Moffat created her and I'm sure he wouldn't pass up the chance to have her meet another doctor and remind us again how very, very special she is to the Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 7906/06/2013

Eddie Izzard would make a great Dr.

by Anonymousreply 8006/06/2013

[quote]I would be very surprised if River Song doesn't show up again. Moffat created her and I'm sure he wouldn't pass up the chance to have her meet another doctor and remind us again how very, very special she is to the Doctor.

I would have agreed with that, but then they had the dead River Song be the one who showed up. That just seemed like the end of the story for her.

by Anonymousreply 8106/06/2013

My guess: John Hurt is either an aged Eight or an incarnation between Eight and Nine. Since he "broke the promise" of being a doctor they could maintain the numbers and still squeeze him in. I think the last scene implied that this incarnation didn't call himself The Doctor. Maybe he was the one ending the time war with all its atrocities. Second guess: He could be Alternate Ten that stranded with Rose Tyler. But if we go that route he could be any known or yet unknown deviation from previous incarnations.

by Anonymousreply 8206/06/2013

[quote]The 12th Doctor has already been cast

No leaks? Why?

by Anonymousreply 8306/06/2013

Please tell me it's Jack Davenport!

Not that I've heard any rumors about him, I just like him and think he'd be a good Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 8406/06/2013

Pssst: Rory Kinnear

by Anonymousreply 8506/06/2013

[quote] Pssst: Rory Kinnear

He was great in Skyfall. Hmmm..

by Anonymousreply 8606/07/2013

[quote]I would have agreed with that, but then they had the dead River Song be the one who showed up. That just seemed like the end of the story for her.

Yeah, she is dead and gone. They could have 11 visit her as some prior point in her timeline - perhaps he could have saved his last visit to her past for the night he takes her to the Darillium Towers and gives her his screwdriver. They could just do a quick poignant spot having him show up at her door and she'd be getting ready to go to the Library- But I'd doubt they would invest any screen time or energy to it. So, no, probably not.

by Anonymousreply 8706/07/2013

Rumor has it they're going to announce tomorrow- just to cut off the speculations.

by Anonymousreply 8806/07/2013

[quote]Rumor has it they're going to announce tomorrow- just to cut off the speculations.

Or leaks. I mean, seriously, how many people do you think know who it is right now? Probably enough that one of them would tell a friend and it would be leaked anyhow.

by Anonymousreply 8906/07/2013

So who's it gonna be?

by Anonymousreply 9006/07/2013

I love him. He has the charisma, charm and quirky, unconventional looks.

by Anonymousreply 9106/07/2013

Who R91? Rory? I agree. It will be interesting if that's actually who it is.

What was the buzz like last time? Was it leaked that Matt Smith was the new Doctor, or was it a surprise?

by Anonymousreply 9206/07/2013

Smith's casting wasn't leaked. It was announced during a special episode of Doctor Who Confidential.

by Anonymousreply 9306/07/2013

R93, was there speculation beforehand though? Guesses, rumors. etc??

by Anonymousreply 9406/07/2013

No, I was talking about Matt Smith.

by Anonymousreply 9506/08/2013

RK is not a bad choice since the Depends crowd Dr is a thing of the past.Who is the front runner to replace Matt Smith?

by Anonymousreply 9606/08/2013

R20, who are you talking about? Which Dr?

by Anonymousreply 9706/08/2013

[quote]Rumor has it they're going to announce tomorrow- just to cut off the speculations

Guess not! Almost 5pm UK time, and no word.

by Anonymousreply 9806/08/2013

Pleased that Smith is leaving. I was unsure of his take on the role from the start and latterly his acting just seems all over the place.

The good thing about Who is that everyone has their favourites and am curious to see where they go next and what the 50th anniversary holds.

by Anonymousreply 9906/08/2013

Rumor has it they wanted Ben Daniels but he had to back out due to other obligations (I think he's in a new series).

ANother rumor is the red head who played Ron's eldest brother in The Potter movie- Order of the Phoenix: Domhnall Gleeson. He is relatively well known enough but not too big to be above it or have other obligations. And he's a Ginger!

by Anonymousreply 10006/09/2013

[quote]ANother rumor is the red head who played Ron's eldest brother in The Potter movie- Order of the Phoenix: Domhnall Gleeson. He is relatively well known enough but not too big to be above it or have other obligations. And he's a Ginger!

An Irish Doctor?

At least he's hot. And they could probably get his dad to guest star.

by Anonymousreply 10106/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!