Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #107 - YOU'VE GOT POSSIBILITIES edition

SUPERMAN! A big hit at Encores, with better reviews than most other musicals have gotten this season. Are the Weisslers salivating, or are they giving this one a pass?

THE MYSTERY OF STEVE KAZEE - let the audience decide the solution!

PASSION - a two-CD set! Yeah, me neither.

Hands on a Bomb? Mixed to negative reviews for Hands on a Hardbody - will Keith and Mary Gordon Murray be out of work soon? And will there be ANYTHING to nominate for Best Musical besides Matilda?

The end of SMASH in sight? What next for Megan Hilty? Does she have a clue to the Mystery of Steve Kazee?

Join us, leave your field to flower! - Will PIPPIN be the show that leaves CINDERELLA in the dust for the Tony's?

And speaking of CINDERELLA - will Vicky fly her way to a supporting Tony? Will William Ivey Long? Will Dana Ivey long for the replacement gig for Harriet Harris?

And lastly - Kathleen Chalfant - who's her ... no, I just can't.

THE STUDENT GYPSY! MADAME APHRODITE!

MANHATTAN MARY!!!!

Take it away ...

by Anonymousreply 60004/02/2013

BRAVO!

by Anonymousreply 103/22/2013

xoxo OP!

by Anonymousreply 203/22/2013

Bravo, OP; long may you run!!

by Anonymousreply 303/22/2013

Hands On A Hard Body got surprisingly good reviews. What's the OP talking about?

by Anonymousreply 403/22/2013

They seem more kind than good, r4.

by Anonymousreply 503/22/2013

Bloomberg News: Two stars out of five

Newsday: "It's a slog." "There's nothing unlikable about HANDS ON A HARDBODY, but little to love, either."

NY POST: "You can’t help but root for the likable people on the Brooks Atkinson Theatre’s stage — both the actors and their characters. It’s harder to muster similar enthusiasm for “Hands on a Hardbody,” the middling musical they’re stuck in. Rarely has so much goodwill been so squandered."

NY DAILY NEWS: 3 Stars, but "that all-important emotional connection doesn’t cross the footlights in “Hardbody” in stories or the score. For a story about the last man (or is it woman?) standing, there’s zero tension."

BACKSTAGE: "‘Hands on a Hardbody’ Rarely Comes to Life"

AMNEWYORK: 3 stars, but "has an underwhelming but heartfelt country-rock score by Phish frontman Trey Anastasio and Amanda Green"

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: B-

NY MAG - mixed

Then there are extremely positive reviews - not-quite raves but almost - from Wall Street Journal and USA TODAY - with lots of good pull-quotes, and very positive from Variety and Hollywood Reporter, and Isherwood's mixed-to-positive.

So, kind of like Cinderella.

by Anonymousreply 603/22/2013

I was going through some old papers today and found a program from the 1990 Long Beach CLO production of "Follies." Cast? Juliet Prowse, Shani Wallis, Harvey Evans, Ed Evanko, Dorothy Lamour, Denise Darcel, Karen Morrow and Yma Sumac.

It's so long ago that I barely remember it.

Also: I posted a link to the mediocre reviews of the London "Mormon" in the old thread, in case anyone missed it.

by Anonymousreply 703/22/2013

I saw that Follies, r7. Karen Morrow was amazing singing "I'm Still Here," and the staging seemed very similar to the original, except for Lucy and Jessie.

Prowse was good, but dressed wrong - a sexy dress for party Phyillis, and then a complete body suit - head to toe - for Lucy and Jessie - should have been the opposite.

Shani was good, but Losing My Mind was like she was taking it literally.

Lamour was frail. Yma Sumac was frail.

Susan Johnson was fantastic in Mary McCarty's role.

by Anonymousreply 803/22/2013

oh jesus fing christ enough w/fcking Follies already move on!

by Anonymousreply 903/22/2013

Amy Camus was tired the minute she appeared.

by Anonymousreply 1003/22/2013

Isn't it cute how people still think a good or bad NYT review can alter the life of a show. I loved Hardbody but even if the NYT raved it still won't last. It's too smart, it's too plain, no ones famous in it and no one saw the movie. The end.

by Anonymousreply 1103/22/2013

r9 = Jerry Herman

by Anonymousreply 1203/22/2013

She was supposed to wear a bodystocking to the party?

by Anonymousreply 1303/22/2013

Just for old times sake...

WHO is Kathleen Chalfant's GF?

by Anonymousreply 1403/22/2013

No - she was supposed to look reserved at the party and loose and sexy in Lucy and Jessie. The body stocking had the opposite effect - she wasn't sexy at all in Lucy and Jessie, although Prowse had an incredible body.

by Anonymousreply 1503/22/2013

It's sort of a give at this point that "Pippin" will go to Broadway and not "The Glass Menagerie" right?

by Anonymousreply 1603/22/2013

[quote]Isn't it cute how people still think a good or bad NYT review can alter the life of a show.

We don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 1703/22/2013

Breakfast at Tiffany's working overtime to plug nude scene and the damn cat(s).

This article is pretty hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1803/22/2013

He was FIRED for sucking? Usually that's how you get the job.

by Anonymousreply 2003/22/2013

The Nance is poised to go either way during previews. I'm not sure that DCB or Jack O'B have it in them to pull this one all the way up.

by Anonymousreply 2103/23/2013

That's an interesting tack you take in your prediction, r22.

by Anonymousreply 2303/23/2013

"It's sort of a give at this point that "Pippin" will go to Broadway and not "The Glass Menagerie" right?"

What the hell are you talking about, R16?t

"Megan Hilty didn't seem like the sharpest tact on Andy Cohen's show. I see "married and fat" in her future."

And you don't seem like the sharpest "tact," either, R22.

by Anonymousreply 2403/23/2013

oh the shame of it all....well she's still fat

by Anonymousreply 2503/23/2013

R22, I think she just photographs fat. It's an interesting body - her waist seems small but the rest...

I thought (and mentioned on another thread) that Patti Stanger creature hogged all the airtime (Andy's fault?) I WAS interested that Megan's dating a singer/dancer - anybody know who it is?

I'd like to see her, of everyone heretofore not well known to the TV public on Smash, get somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 2603/23/2013

Is THE NANCE another "angry/sad clown whose heart is breaking" role for Nathan?

by Anonymousreply 2703/23/2013

Jack O'Brian has lost his touch. His last great work was COAST OF UTOPIA and it's been downhill ever since. ENCORES will be next for him.

by Anonymousreply 2803/23/2013

Nudie theater boy Brandon Ruckdashel is in an off-bway show. Too bad he stinks up the show and keeps his clothes on! Plus the boy looks like Hell. Time has not been kind. Maybe best he didn't strip for a change! Time to get married and move back to fly over-ville.

by Anonymousreply 2903/23/2013

Jack O'Brien was always a relentless mediocrity who simply knew how to cast his shows well.

by Anonymousreply 3003/23/2013

[r26] she is dating some guy named Brian Gallagher whom I believe was married when she began dating him -- but amicably separated from his wife at the time. And they apparently met in a fitness class.

by Anonymousreply 3103/23/2013

She's a great big fat person.

by Anonymousreply 3203/23/2013

I don't normally post on these threads, but I saw Hands on a Hardbody and I loved it! Very strange and moving show.

There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 3303/23/2013

Megan (solo - no date) sat directly in front of me tonight at SUPERMAN. Much slimmer in person than she looks on TV. And very sweet - I told her I loved her on Wendy Williams yesterday and she said she had a blast doing that show.

SUPERMAN was a lot of fun but the idea that it might transfer is absurd. After all the fuss about a blonde Superman, I see they made Ed Watts dye his hair for the part. Who's his bf?

Ironically in her bio Jenny Powers (who plays Lois Lane) says she played Sydney (the Linda Lavin/Ally Mauzey role) in the DTC production of SUPERMAN not long ago - opp. her husband Matt Cavenaugh as the Man of Steel. How come Matt's not playing the part now? He's certainly a bigger name than the strapping Mr. Watts.

by Anonymousreply 3403/23/2013

[quote]I told her I loved her on Wendy Williams yesterday and she said she had a blast doing that show.

I would be embarrassed to admit to anyone that I actually watch that show.

by Anonymousreply 3503/23/2013

Just take the stick out of your ass, R35, and get fucked.

by Anonymousreply 3603/23/2013

Didn't Mufti do Superman w/ Lea DeLaria as the villan or am i really coked up and tying again?

Isn't Matt Cavanaugh too short to play CK?

by Anonymousreply 3703/23/2013

R37 Mufti did do SUPERMAN with Lea as the evil scientist (David Pittu plays it at Encores, channeling Dame Edna, of all people!)

At Mufti, Superman was Cheyenne Jackson!

And Cavenaugh was tall enough to play it in Dallas (where everything's bigger) so why not Encores?

by Anonymousreply 3803/23/2013

[R34]

He's straight.

by Anonymousreply 3903/23/2013

This is BOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRINNNNNGGGGGG

by Anonymousreply 4003/23/2013

kill yourself r40

by Anonymousreply 4103/23/2013

Billington's review pretty much sums up how I felt about Book of Mormon - funny, and I'd probably see it again, but it's not very substantial.

[quote] He admits that he had a "perfectly pleasant time", admired the songs ("part of the fun lies in playing spot-the-source"), and rather warmed to some of the cast, but "the idea that the show … is either daringly offensive or a Broadway breakthrough is pure codswallop". In fact, Billington takes issue with The Book of Mormon's entire premise, unflatteringly comparing it with the little-known 50s satire The Making of Moo (Google it) – by whose satirical standards this new show is "pretty toothless". "The biggest myth of all," he concludes, "is that it's somehow a landmark American musical."

The only reason it's being taken as landmark is because it's a show with cursing and that type of humour that also happens to be making boatloads of money. It's a landmark in the same way CATS is a landmark - as a brand that people who don't usually go to the theatre will know about.

by Anonymousreply 4203/23/2013

R41 that's mean. I laughed at your Buffalo Bill comment.

by Anonymousreply 4303/23/2013

I'm sorry r40....I was in a snit and took it out on you. I hope you live a happy productive life.

by Anonymousreply 4403/23/2013

Billington is a pill. Most find him to be a tiresome hack. It seems silly to reach back to a 1950's satire that nobody knows about when he could've just referenced Jerry Springer The Opera from 10 years ago that had healthy runs at The National and in the West End. I'm sure BOM is entertaining but comparatively toothless.

by Anonymousreply 4503/23/2013

90% of directing is casting well. Ellis Rabb taught me that.

by Anonymousreply 4603/23/2013

[quote] Kathleen Chalfant is 108 years old and has been married to the same man since Woodrow Wilson was president.

They said the same thing about Eleanor Roosevelt, who had her gf living down the hall in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 4703/23/2013

Is the Kathleen Chalfant troll female?

by Anonymousreply 4803/23/2013

listen, this Kathleen Chalfant shit is beyond tired and isn't amusing in the least.

If you care this much about who Kathleen Chalfant and her sexuality there is help for you somewhere but it won't be found here.

What the fuck did she do to you to inspire this kind of strange relentless drumb beat about her sexuality?

by Anonymousreply 4903/23/2013

Oh relax R49. It's just a DL meme. It's making fun of the original poster and isn't malicious towards Kathleen Chalfant herself.

by Anonymousreply 5003/23/2013

[quote]drumb beat

Love this. Is this a meme of some sort, or just a typo?

by Anonymousreply 5103/23/2013

yeah, r50 but unlike some other DL memes it isn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 5203/23/2013

Well, I never said it was funny. I was just trying to point out that it's not actually about Kathleen Chalfont anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5303/23/2013

R7 there is a bootleg video of that production. Actually two, one an amateur one and the other a steady no zoom house camera shot. It was a pretty decent production. very close to the orginal in design. The only thing I didn't like and this is a personal gripe, Prowse's costume for "Lucy and Jessie." But she is divine as is Shani Wallis.

by Anonymousreply 5403/23/2013

I thought it was well-known that Jeffrey Richards wanted to keep Menagerie out of this season to boost the Tony chances of Virginia Woolf.

by Anonymousreply 5503/23/2013

Yippee

by Anonymousreply 5603/23/2013

Shani wallis was terrible. Couldn't sing anymore

Karen morrow and Ed Evanko stole the show

by Anonymousreply 5703/23/2013

Can we get a report on the naked bathtub scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's from someone?

by Anonymousreply 5803/23/2013

The threatre message boards and bloggers are getting the word out about how bad Kinky Boots is and the turgid performance of the lead.

by Anonymousreply 5903/23/2013

R53 you spelled Kathleen's name wrong.

And if we can talk about Cherry Jones and Sarah Paulsen, why not Kathleen Chalfant.

Is she too Taboo to talk about here?

So it is ok to gossip about Cherry and Sarah, but not about Kathleen?

by Anonymousreply 6003/23/2013

r42: SPRING AWAKENING was even more overhyped. Critics were wetting themselves over "The HAPPENING musical of the NOW generation" as if rock had never appeared on Broadway before.

by Anonymousreply 6103/23/2013

I, too, just saw 'Hardbody' and loved it and thought it the freshest, most challenging(in a good way) musical in many a year. As tourist season approaches, I predict it will draw crowds and be a hit. There will be much clutching of pearls on this thread and potential suicides in Manhattan if it does turn out to be the hit of the season.

by Anonymousreply 6203/23/2013

"Jack O'Brien was always a relentless mediocrity who simply knew how to cast his shows well."

Bullshit. He's one of the very best. Yes, he's had a bad run of late, but not primarily his fault.

by Anonymousreply 6303/23/2013

"well-known"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6403/23/2013

does anyone know why, without repeating the offending details, the last theatre thread was shut down? I don't remember anything particularly inflamatory in that thread.

I read here the nastiest person on Broadway threads were just edited instead of deleted, I wonder why they didn't do that with the last theatre thread?

The only think I can think of is someone wrote that a fav dl icon had an affair with a married man?

by Anonymousreply 6503/23/2013

Ok, r65, I'll tell you but I really don't want them to shut down this thread, too.

This is so hard to say, but the reason why Theater Gossip #106 was shut down was because...

It reached 600 posts.

Oh I feel so dirty...

by Anonymousreply 6603/23/2013

It wasn't shut down, r65. DL sort of burped when the thread was at 596 posts, and it just looked like it had been shut down for a few hours, but it was still active and was closed when the thread count went over 600, standard procedure on DL.

by Anonymousreply 6703/23/2013

R66 it WAS shut down briefly yesterday morning, as many of us can attest to getting "thread does not exist" messages when trying to access. Then by the early afternoon it was open for business again.

by Anonymousreply 6803/23/2013

I think the critics creamed over Superman was because it came across as an almost ready to move production.....sets, costumes, lights....no scripts in hand. Was a fun production but still not good enough to move. Think Finian's Rainbow.

by Anonymousreply 6903/23/2013

just looking at the partners Wall Street Journal and what do I see but a nice review for Ms. Ziemba's non dancing appearance off broadway:

Happy Birthday

TACT/The Actors Company Theatre, Beckett Theatre, 410 W. 42nd St. ($59.25) 212-239-6200, closes April 13

TACT/The Actors Company Theatre, which mounted flawless Off-Broadway revivals of Brian Friel's "Lovers" and Neil Simon's "Lost in Yonkers" last year, has done it again with "Happy Birthday," a smart little comedy by Anita Loos, the once-celebrated author of "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes." "Happy Birthday," in which a prim spinster (Mary Bacon) takes refuge from a storm in the Jersey Mecca Cocktail Bar, downs a few drinks and suddenly metamorphoses into a party girl, was a huge hit on Broadway in 1946—it ran for 563 performances—but has since been forgotten, mainly because it calls for a budget-busting cast of 17. (Two of the roles have been doubled, but you won't notice.) Scott Alan Evans has staged this revival with exceptional skill, getting all of the laughs without obscuring the melancholy that is never far from the shiny surface of Ms. Loos's script.

Ms. Bacon plays Addie, the increasingly tipsy lady librarian, with a winning charm that is impossible to resist. Karen Ziemba, lately and famously of "Contact," has been cast as Gail, the tough-talking owner of the Jersey Mecca, and does it so well that you'll wonder why it's been so long since you last saw her on a New York stage. Bless her for signing on to this lovely production, which is, like all of TACT's shows, a winner.

by Anonymousreply 7003/23/2013

Who is Kathleen Chalfant's....

AGENT?

by Anonymousreply 7103/23/2013

Glad to see TACT is getting props.

I reluctantly saw the Lost in Yonkers and really enjoyed it and I don't really like that play. Cynthia Harris [from Mad About You] played the mother and it was a great show.

The Brian Friel play they did this fall was stunningly acted.

Great company. Can't wait to see this one with Karen Ziemba.

by Anonymousreply 7203/23/2013

the tale of the tape on Harbody will be in the next two weeks of grosses (if they dont post before then, I cant imagine they have much of an advance) I dont see this making it--an admirable failure-although I didnt care for it very much I appreciate the attempt to do something more substantial than plugging pop or catalouge songs into the bare bones of a thin screenplay

by Anonymousreply 7303/23/2013

how long can tiffany hang on? after those reviews?

by Anonymousreply 7403/23/2013

He may be turgid R59, but in BONNIE AND CLYDE (LaJolla) Stark Stands had a delish looking cock. Two nude scenes... all captured in glorious HD on the bootleg video.

by Anonymousreply 7503/23/2013

Is Jan Maxwell working at all or just holed up in her subsidized apartment palace that was always meant for starving artists?

by Anonymousreply 7603/23/2013

I think Gavin Creel playing the lead in Book of Mormon in London is what's keeping it from being an unabashed critical hit. Creel is a talented singer but not a gifted comic actor. Rannels had great timing and a cartoon-ish face which served the role and the show extremely well. Creel has not been receiving personal raves for good reason.

Roma Torre on NY1 Onstage is a moron. In today's review of Breakfast At Tiffany's she claimed that David Merrick closed the musical version in previews "to keep from boring the critics." I have a feeling he closed it for every reason BUT that.

by Anonymousreply 7703/23/2013

[quote]the tale of the tape on Harbody will be in the next two weeks of grosses (if they dont post before then, I cant imagine they have much of an advance) I dont see this making it--an admirable failure-although I didnt care for it very much I appreciate the attempt to do something more substantial than plugging pop or catalouge songs into the bare bones of a thin screenplay.

Maybe if it gets several Tony noms, that might help (provided it's still running, of course).

by Anonymousreply 7803/23/2013

Merrick's press release stated that he had decided to close the show to avoid subjecting "the drama critics and the theatergoing public to an excruciatingly boring evening." Were there other reasons? Probably. But that's what he said for the record.

by Anonymousreply 7903/23/2013

Saw the Annie Baker/Sam Gold opus THE FLICK last night.

The experience reminded me of the saying, "Twice as long as GOTTERDAMMERUNG and only half as funny."

by Anonymousreply 8003/23/2013

caps from bootleg please.

by Anonymousreply 8103/23/2013

I watched Patrick Pachecho on Moron Stage interviewing Tina Packer and Nigel Gore this morning. Where has Gore been? Very attractive man. Anyone know anything about him? Not much on Google.

by Anonymousreply 8203/23/2013

Oh, God "The Flick" is just horrible - paint drying has a faster pace. I couldn't figure out if Baker wrote it to be played like a one-act stretched out to over 3 hours, or if Sam Gold has truly lost what little mind he had.

by Anonymousreply 8303/23/2013

R83, what's the matter with you? It was amazing! It was terrific! Baker and Gold have done it again!

- The New York theater critics

by Anonymousreply 8403/23/2013

Roma Torre is even more of a moron for taking David Merrick's press release at the time at face value. I doubt that Michael Riedel ever would-he'd see right through it and clarify the statement as the producer not wanting to subject the critics to something so abominably awful it might somehow influence their opinions on his next show.

by Anonymousreply 8503/23/2013

Word is that Glass Menagerie will arrive in NYC last summer.

by Anonymousreply 8603/23/2013

God this thread sucks.

by Anonymousreply 8703/23/2013

Is anybody going to the first preview of Pippin tonight?

by Anonymousreply 8803/23/2013

Gavin Creel interview:

this boy seems a little strange....glad he came out though....I mean who would have ever guessed?

by Anonymousreply 8903/23/2013

oops the link

by Anonymousreply 9003/23/2013

Are Creel and Rannells still a couple?

by Anonymousreply 9103/23/2013

Here's Karen Morrow in one of the Long Beach bootlegs.

by Anonymousreply 9203/23/2013

They're a couple? Have there ever been any other couples where partner B follows partner A into the same role?

by Anonymousreply 9303/23/2013

r93

Yes: Gavin Creel and Jonathan Groff (Hair Broadway & in the Park)

by Anonymousreply 9403/23/2013

Does anyone think "I'll Eat You Last" will do well? I have a sinking feeling the average person is going to think it's either a horror/cannibal plot, a sex-crazed plot and/or say, "Who is Sue Mengers?" or worse, "Who is Bette Midler?"

by Anonymousreply 9503/23/2013

They should have called it "Sue Mengers' Stretch Pants"

by Anonymousreply 9603/23/2013

I think a lot of tourists will wander into it thinking it is a Bette Midler concert and expect to hear Wind Beneath My Wings.

by Anonymousreply 9703/23/2013

Yep

by Anonymousreply 9803/23/2013

Just tosses Gavin Creel out of my flat. Talk about a wanker.

by Anonymousreply 9903/23/2013

Will Bette clash with Mantello? Is he good dealing with Divas?

by Anonymousreply 10003/23/2013

Patrick Healy in the New york Times writes business stories instead of arts stories. hate reading him. his matilda piece sucks.

by Anonymousreply 10103/23/2013

WEHT Matt Cavenaugh anyway? Has he been pursuing a film and TV career?

by Anonymousreply 10203/23/2013

Judging by his IMDB page r102 I'd say no to the TV career stuff.

by Anonymousreply 10403/23/2013

no r103...Laurents fired him from WSS. I think he got married later.

by Anonymousreply 10503/23/2013

Anything about Pippin?

by Anonymousreply 10603/23/2013

Re Merrick closing TIFFANY'S: Some of you bitches are so freakin' nasty.

I've heard many people say, and I tend to agree, that the wort shows aren't the ones you hate with a passion because they're so horrible; rather, the worst shows are the totally boring ones. So in saying he closed the show because it was excruciatingly boring, there's no reason to think Merrick wasn't being fully honest or trying to save face.

And anyway, that WAS his statement, so anyone who describes Roma Torre as a moron for quoting Merrick accurately is himself a moron.

by Anonymousreply 10703/24/2013

Is Ed watts padded to play Superman? I mean in the muscles area.

Matt Cavenaugh would probably need some extra padding though Ed Watts might be fine without.

by Anonymousreply 10803/24/2013

Matt Cavenaugh is tiny. If he were gay he'd be called a pocket gay.

by Anonymousreply 10903/24/2013

Another couple playing the same role: Bernie Yvon, who played Houdini in the First National Tour of Ragtime, was the partner of Jim Corti, who originated the role.

by Anonymousreply 11003/24/2013

Jay Armstrong was hot in that awful boy scout play last season, so it was a shame he didn't take off his shirt for HANDS ON A HARDBODY. I was hoping he would be the title character.

Instead, the sexiest person on stage is David Larsen, but I have feeling he's probably a nellie thing in real life.

And Sergio Trujillo's choreography works the best here since it's his stupid hand gestures that kill his other shows, and in this one, most of the time, one hand is on the car, but he does indulge in his stupid "I am a teapot" weird gesture once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 11103/24/2013

Get a load of R107-touchy much, darling? Your intelligence is pulp.

Uhhh...I have one question for you-have you even HEARD of David Merrick? This is the monster who tried to maximize publicity for the opening night of 42nd Street on Broadway by making the announcement onstage at the curtain call of the death of its director/choreographer Gower Champion, simultaneously breaking the news to his cast, including Champion's girlfriend Wanda Richert.

by Anonymousreply 11203/24/2013

David Larsen is straight.

by Anonymousreply 11303/24/2013

What evidence do we have that Gav and Andy are or ever were a couple? A friend of mine who is friends with both said they aren't and never were.

by Anonymousreply 11403/24/2013

[quote]What evidence do we have that Gav and Andy are or ever were a couple? A friend of mine who is friends with both said they aren't and never were.

Gavin discussed having a new beau....he was seen around town with Andrew....Broadway bitch Morgan James tweeted about them being together and being rude to her....

by Anonymousreply 11503/24/2013

Well, Rannells tweeted this the other day plus people used to gossip about them on here. That's all I know.

by Anonymousreply 11603/24/2013

Let's look at Doug Houghes' career...he's taking a beating for The Big Knife which just started previews...

Frozen - little off-Broadway hit that moved to Broadway and flopped.

Doubt - critical and commercial success

A Naked Girl on the Appian Way - total flop

A Touch of the Poet - don't even remember this production (Roundabout I'm assuming)

Inherit the Wind - Brian Dennehy and Christopher Plummer - I think it received decent reviews.

Mauritius - Theresa Rebeck dreck

A Man for All Seasons - Roundabout, again?

The Royal Family - ok, reviews I think - but no one cared - isn't this the show that almost killed Tony Roberts?

Oleanna - terrible protection - all about the blinds

Mrs. Warren's Profession - worse than Oleanna - how do you screw up something with Cherry Jones?

Elling - tee hee hee, next?

Born Yesterday - stop trying to make Nina Arianda happen!

An Enemy of the People - respectable reviews, I think?

and now...

The Big Knife

Now, I know art isn't easy - but what does that have to do with Broadway?

t

by Anonymousreply 11803/24/2013

"how do you screw up something with Cherry Jones?"

Put Sally Hawkins into it and watch its agonized death twitches.

by Anonymousreply 11903/24/2013

So is THAT the trouble with Roundabout? Do directors not get full casting approval?

by Anonymousreply 12003/24/2013

A Touch of the Poet had Gabriel Byrne, Dearbhla Molloy, and Emily Bergl, but it was interminable.

by Anonymousreply 12103/24/2013

Hardbody would be lucky to hold on through the Tonys-while likely to get a few noms, its not going to win any--see: Leap of Faith

by Anonymousreply 12203/24/2013

I would imagine Tiffanys posting on Tues-unless someones got deep pockets

by Anonymousreply 12303/24/2013

ROUNDABOUT very much strong arms their hapless directors into the casting of all their shows.

How else to explain Bye Bye Birdie, one among countless curiosities?

by Anonymousreply 12403/24/2013

How many weeks until Tony noms are announced?

How long do these loser shows have to hold on?

by Anonymousreply 12603/24/2013

A transfer of Superman is idiotic unless someone needs to lose a whole lotta money really quickly--coul possibly have been viable for an Off bway run if commercial Off Bway still existed and it wasnt cost prohibitive

Pretty sure Matt Cavenaugh has left the business

by Anonymousreply 12703/24/2013

"Don't ever fucking call me a tourist."

Lisa Lampanelli's fantastic new pre-Broadway show was being workshopped at The New Group, and this happened...

by Anonymousreply 12803/24/2013

I cannot believe I just wasted two minutes of my life watching that video, R128. What a lot of nothing.

by Anonymousreply 12903/24/2013

R127, I'm with you... Superman in a smaller house with similar staging would be terrific.

The score is wonderful, the direction and tone was spot-on. Perhaps they can add some of the book that was removed for the Encores! run and give it more book.

I saw the Encores! production and the show was great fun. Nothing more, nothing less than fun.

L O V E D Edward Watts as Clark/Sup. The man's gorgeous. I stayed to the talkback and from the size of his upper arms (he wore a tee-shirt and khakis) there was no padding required to fit the suit. Hell, he even made a nice impression in the red shorts.

The entire cast was dynamite. Hope it was recorded so I can see it again.

by Anonymousreply 13003/24/2013

R126, I read somewhere the Tony noms are announced on April 30.

Beloved DL Bway gays, are the Tony noms announced on TV? Local NYC station, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 13103/24/2013

R128's video is pointless, and only confirms what I'd expect Lampanelli's brainless fans to look, sound, and act like. Are you her publicist?

Please stop trying to make Lampanelli a gay "thing." We'd be better off championing an openly G&L performer who wasn't also a racist sexist bigot. And was funny.

by Anonymousreply 13203/24/2013

Lisa Lampanelli is about as funny as the "who is kathleen chalfant's gf troll.

or in other words: NOT FUNNY AT ALL.

Why is the New Group involved with her? don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 13303/24/2013

Bernard Delfont, who's his gf?

by Anonymousreply 13403/24/2013

Who is doing Linda Lavin's role in Superman?

by Anonymousreply 13503/24/2013

The main producer on "BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S is the same douchebag who kept GHOST running even though everyone hated it.

Has Mantello worked with divas before? Think Linda Lavin, Stockard Channing and Robbie Baitz. Not to mention Debra Monk.

HARDBODY has one of the worst directors working in theater. Pepe manages to ruin the one great number in the show, by following it up with a ghastly ballad instead of ending the first act with it.

Doug Hughes is about as talented as Jack O'Brian, except Hughes can't even adequately cast his own works anymore.

Arthur Laurents' money went to that fat creep who runs the George Street Playhouse in New Jersey. Saint and his little boytoy are giggle-inducing.

And finally, "The Flick" is a hell of a lot better than most of the crap out there right now. It's a seamless production, it leaves a lasting impression, but it's the focal point of theater-illiterate morons who prefer bad revivals with big stars, whose taste is entirely in their mouths.

by Anonymousreply 13603/24/2013

Ali Mauzy R136

by Anonymousreply 13703/24/2013

And she is sensational, R136. Funny, sexy, in great voice.

by Anonymousreply 13803/24/2013

Sorry, it's R135, not 136.

by Anonymousreply 13903/24/2013

Why didn't they approach Linda Lavin to recreate the role she originated in Superman?

by Anonymousreply 14003/24/2013

Tiffany's has a really low break-even so it may be here for a while if enough Game of Thrones fans are interested.

I saw it last night, and the audience seemed happy afterwards. Lots of "so much better than the critics said" comments and a pretty big crowd for Emilia Clarke.

I kept waiting for the hook or through line to start and it never did. Greenberg did Capote no favors by just copying the novella onto his computer. Where was the adaption?

by Anonymousreply 14103/24/2013

With the possible exception of Dinklage, I don't think GOT fans (and I'm one of them) are interested in other projects the cast appears in. It's the characters the fans are obsessed with, not the actors. Unless Emilia Clarke plays Holly naked with a little dragon on her shoulder, the GOT fanbase isn't going to show up.

by Anonymousreply 14203/24/2013

London production of Book of Mormon sets Broadway and West End record with sales of $3.21 M on Friday alone.

by Anonymousreply 14303/24/2013

I've tried reading Breakfast at Tiffanys (the novella) a couple of times and have never been able to get past 50 pages or so.

So no surprise here that theatrical adaptations have always proved elusive and dismal.

by Anonymousreply 14403/24/2013

[quote]London production of Book of Mormon sets Broadway and West End record with sales of $3.21 M on Friday alone.

Are they doing premium pricing in London for this? Do they do premium pricing at all in the West End? Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 14503/24/2013

R107/R117, you gave me quite an attack of the giggles. Are you Roma Torre's nephew Bologna? Why do you vociferously defend her so?

The cast of 42nd Street (including Richert) were not completely aware that Champion was in mortal danger. Merrick's announcement that he had in fact succumbed was a shock. Richert started sobbing. And Jerry Orbach, class act that he was, demanded the curtain be brought down so the assembled media (which included TV cameras) wouldn't get any more goodies which Merrick so callously planned for them to get at the expense of a cast hurled into grief on their opening night.

by Anonymousreply 14603/24/2013

how low can the break even of Tiffany's be with 15 people in the cast?

somehow, I dont see the Game of Thrones audience being big straight play going ticket buyers--

by Anonymousreply 14703/24/2013

[quote] Are they doing premium pricing in London for this?

Yes the "premium" seats are 127GBP.

by Anonymousreply 14803/24/2013

So what is so wrong with the idea of Superman moving (which Jack Viertel said there had been "nibbles" about at the talkback) -

I mean, really? Compared to what else is on Broadway these days, it might be a breath of fresh air. And at least it's a show that hasn't been overdone, like Gypsy or the upcoming 127th revival of The King and I. And compared to almost every new musical these days (not all, but most), it's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 14903/24/2013

R136, I'm one of the earlier posters who thought THE FLICK was a huge bore with characters who only pique your interest occasionally. Yes, it's a seamless production, but tedium is not an artistic statement.

Your statement that anyone who doesn't like the play is a "theater-illiterate moron who prefers bad revivals with big stars" is childish.

by Anonymousreply 15003/24/2013

Anybody seen Pippin now that it's in previews on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 15103/24/2013

Most West End shows do premium pricing now. Stupidly, so do some touring venues as well. I'm not sure how well premium pricing has worked out though.

by Anonymousreply 15203/24/2013

R150- So is the idiotic statement, "tedium is not an artistic statement".

Did you think that up all by yourself, or did Mommy help you?

by Anonymousreply 15303/24/2013

R151- check out All That Chat @Talkin Broadway for some positive feedback for the first preview. Kid got a 5th row orchestra seat for $37.00 too.

by Anonymousreply 15403/24/2013

theoretically, a Superman trsnfer is not idiotic--but commercially, it would never generate enough business to make financial sense

by Anonymousreply 15503/24/2013

r153, as someone who's been subjected to more than my share of films and theater pieces created by people who DID regard tedium as an artistic statement, I have to side with r150 on this subject. There was a brief window of time during the mid-20th century when boring the fuck out of your audience was new and daring and and a fun and easy way to weed out the bourgeois dilettantes from the truly dedicated avant garde art crowd. In 2013, however, it just comes across as a form of self-indulgent narcissism whose time has passed. A lot of taboos and barriers have been overthrown by modernism, and nowadays we go to the theater for a lot of different reasons, not just to be entertained or educated. But the one reason we don't go is to be bored, and considering how expensive it is to do theater in New York and how few opportunities there are for new playwrights it's an inexcusable waste of a precious resource.

by Anonymousreply 15603/24/2013

I haven't seen Superman but I, as well, don't see why a commercial transfer would necessarily be a bad bet. My impression is the reviews were pretty great.

True, there are no stars but the title alone could sell tickets with a really smart hip ad camaign.

Too many shows fail with negligble ad campaigns. I'm convinced Mormon, Wicked and Jersey Boys have all benefitted from memorable branding.

But then Mama Mia, OTOH, triumphed with one of the stupidest logos ever.

by Anonymousreply 15703/24/2013

What if SUPERMAN were a limited run or picked up by Roundabout?

by Anonymousreply 15803/24/2013

In order for Superman to have the same impact in a transfer, they would have to retain the large orchestra, which would be cost-prohibitive. That 60s sound is a good deal of this show's charm. Also, Finian had the same hopes for success after a transfer, and look what happened there.

by Anonymousreply 15903/24/2013

Thoughts on Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest project? Stephen Ward is a horrible title for a musical, but I'm quite fond of the movie SCANDAL with John Hurt based on the same events.

Looking forward to it, with caution, given that Don Black is the lyricist. I wonder is ALW will ever have another show premiere on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 16003/24/2013

Motown is quietly the biggest new hit in town!

by Anonymousreply 16103/24/2013

Can't compare FINIAN'S RAINBOW and SUPERMAN.

FINIAN'S was well done, but it exposed how very, very twee the piece plays now. The score - which is amazing - is also trapped in the 1940s. It was heavenly if you're into that, but it's not a "hot" older show like Gypsy or Anything Goes. I can see why it couldn't draw a bigger crowd.

SUPERMAN, from two decades later, plays off a 60s - pop vibe. And it is, of course, Superman - a brand-name right there. What it doesn't have is a genuine Broadway star name - which I would think it would need to give it a good "bounce" right out of the gate. Max was the star name the first time - Will Swenson's playing that, and he was good, but maybe not as big a name as might be needed. You can't really make Lois or Sydney the star part, or Superman - the only other option is Dr. Sedgwick.

by Anonymousreply 16203/24/2013

Sean Hayes IS Dr. Sedgwick!

by Anonymousreply 16303/24/2013

Apropos of nothing, WEHT Christoher Sieber?

by Anonymousreply 16403/24/2013

He was on the LA CAGE AUX FOLLES tour last year. Have not heard anything recently.. I think that tour ended.

by Anonymousreply 16503/24/2013

R156

One can pretty much assume you've not bothered to see the play in question.

Just a hunch.

by Anonymousreply 16603/24/2013

How did Joe Mantello make the switch from actor to director? Any other current major Bway directors start as actors? Was Mike Nichols ever an actor or more of a comedian?

by Anonymousreply 16703/24/2013

None of the roles in Superman is big enough to attract a star.

by Anonymousreply 16903/25/2013

Can somone help me find the bootleg of Bonnie and Clyde with Stark Sands?

by Anonymousreply 17003/25/2013

Rob Ashford made the switch from anonymous Broadway chorus boy to Broadway choreographer to director of Broadway musicals to director of Broadway plays. This has been over the course of about 20 years.

No one really understands how the final stage was accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 17103/25/2013

[quote] Rob Ashford made the switch from anonymous Broadway chorus boy to Broadway choreographer to director of Broadway musicals

Many people have followed that route

by Anonymousreply 17203/25/2013

Breakfast at Tiffany's and Superman both FLOPPED big time when first presented.

Why are they getting revived?

by Anonymousreply 17303/25/2013

SUPERMAN and WHOLESALE are two shows that for some reason people are hot to see revived.

by Anonymousreply 17403/25/2013

My, the fangurl for THE FLICK needs to chill out.

by Anonymousreply 17503/25/2013

I saw "The Flick" last night, and it was pretty fabulous. Very funny. Some terrific acting going on.

I have attended theatre that seemed hellbent on killing the audience with boredom. ("Life and Times", anyone?) This was nothing of the sort. The story line is extremely quiet & gentle, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 17603/25/2013

For anyone in the Cincinnati area there is a terrific all black production of The Trip to Bountiful presented by Cincinnati Playhouse. I know Cecily Tyson is the name doing it on Broadway but the actress I saw, Lizann Mitchell, was incredible. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 17703/25/2013

R167 Tommy Tune, Michael Bennett, Bob Fosse, Nicholas Martin, Casey Nicholaw, just to name a few.

by Anonymousreply 17803/25/2013

No one's gonna transfer Superman. It'd be totally idiotic. There hasn't been a successful Encores! transfer since Chicago. The Apple Tree just filled a spot in the Roundabout schedule and Finian's Rainbow bombed. What works for a weekend doesn't work for a few months.

by Anonymousreply 17903/25/2013

I'm glad that the British press is calling out Mormon for not being the greatest American musical ever. It was cute, it was funny, but the only thing separating it from most Fringe shows is that the South Park writers wrote it. It's totally forgettable and in 20 years (if it's not still running) it will be hard to recognize why it was even remotely successful.

by Anonymousreply 18003/25/2013

True r180. I saw it Friday last in London and while parts are funny I couldn't understand all the hoopla around it.

In response to an earlier poster Gavin Creel was good in his role and put in a funny and energetic performance. Whether his voice is left intact is another matter. He was really pushing his voice and was visibly straining to hit the notes. I haven't seen him perform before so maybe that's how he sings.

Perhaps Mr Kazee should have a word with him?

by Anonymousreply 18103/25/2013

Though Bennett, Fosse and Tune were all undoubtedly brilliant directors of musicals, I don't recall them or Nicholas Martin or Casey Nicholaw ever directing O'Neill and Williams on Broadway and the West End.

by Anonymousreply 18203/25/2013

I couldn't believe it won the Tony Award over Scottsboro Boys, but I guess that show winning wouldn't have been as sexy of a story.

by Anonymousreply 18303/25/2013

r180: the (over)praise for MORMON pales next to THE PRODUCERS, which had the same cachet of "comedy legend does something different - he writes a musical!"

by Anonymousreply 18403/25/2013

Nicholas Martin's only talent is, despite being a troll, persuading cute young actors to let him suck them off. Otherwise the rule is, the utterly untalented, really stupid and entirely useless in the arts, never die but go on and on, even after the little bit of Muse-vengeance "Nicky" suffered by having a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 18503/25/2013

Wow, what did Nicky ever do to you, r185?

by Anonymousreply 18603/25/2013

ever been in the same room as Nicky Martin? I'm sure r185 has many reasons to say what he says

by Anonymousreply 18703/25/2013

Just because Ashford is given the chance to direct O'Neill and Williams doesn't mean he has the talent required to direct O'Neill or Williams. Perfect example-his atrocious STREETCAR at the Donmar, and his barely passable CAT. His ANNA CHRISTIE, however, was terrific, but he had 2 great actors who knew what they were doing.. Just keep him away from LONG DAY'S JOURNEY or GLASS MENAGERIE. Give Neil Simon a try, Rob. Charlie W. can play Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 18803/25/2013

R184 Except for the fact that they'd already written a musical movie.

by Anonymousreply 18903/25/2013

I've been in a room many many times with Nicky. There's no more entertaining person in all of New York.

by Anonymousreply 19003/25/2013

I have worked with Nicholas Martin and been to numerous social situations with him. There could not be a nicer man. Though the fact that he allowed Brooks Ashmanskas to get away with that dreadfully amateurish performance in Present Laughter may indicate that he is TOO nice.

by Anonymousreply 19103/25/2013

Just read on Playbill that Karen Black has cancer.

by Anonymousreply 19203/25/2013

How is Nicky's health? I knew he had a stroke, but I didn't realize it has affected his ability to walk.

by Anonymousreply 19303/25/2013

Nicky can still walk when he has to, but prefers the walker or the wheelchair.

Or a young assistant.

by Anonymousreply 19403/25/2013

Christopher Sieber has been concentrating on losing weight. As has not-remotely-fat Max Von Essen

by Anonymousreply 19503/25/2013

Love linda's version of "You've got possibilities" Her singing voice has always been criminally underrated. She recorded several versions of the Alice theme and they ranged from R&B to light jazz. She nailed each genre.

She seems to be getting a second wind. Alice seasons are rapidly coming out on DVD. She's getting the respect that she FINALLY deserves. Shame she never got an Emmy for her utter brilliance as Alice Hyatt.

by Anonymousreply 19603/25/2013

Here's a recording of Creel's "I Believe". I've heard the song was lowered for him, but it still sounds too high and makes his voice seem reedy. And I'm a big fan of his (usually full-bodied) voice.

by Anonymousreply 19703/25/2013

I don't know what she sounded like when young. But even back when she did GYPSY, Lavin wasn't far off Stritch "braying" territory.

by Anonymousreply 19803/25/2013

"Creel Believes"

by Anonymousreply 19903/25/2013

Kazee has spoken.

And he now lists himself as living in Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 20003/25/2013

CAMERON IS REWRITING BARNUM!

CAMERON CONFIRMS BRINGING MISS SAIGON BACK!

CAMERON HATES GLEE, BUT LOVES TAYLOR SWIFT!

CAMERON! CAMERON! CAMERON! CAMERON!

by Anonymousreply 20103/25/2013

R198, you need to hear Linda's recent CD. It's quite brilliant, and she does a cover of "you've got possibilities" that puts the original in the shade.

The word from Columbia is that THE FLICK is the front-runner for this year's Pulitzer. Take that, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 20203/25/2013

Nobody does You've Got Possibilities like Loretta Swit.

by Anonymousreply 20303/25/2013

[r200] I guess his contract re-negotations didn't go his way. He will do better in Los Angeles anyway. I can see him in film and television not to mention having a successful solo music career.

by Anonymousreply 20403/25/2013

Yes I can see Kazee in a cop show.

by Anonymousreply 20503/25/2013

Wow, Kazee is desperately trying to hang on to his theater fan base with that screed.

by Anonymousreply 20603/25/2013

R200 just released.

by Anonymousreply 20703/25/2013

Meant Kazee, not you R200! Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 20803/25/2013

Released r207 ?

by Anonymousreply 20903/25/2013

I can see him in Shameless. In the James McAvoy part.

by Anonymousreply 21003/25/2013

I see him in MAD MEN, with some nudity

by Anonymousreply 21103/25/2013

Dear Lady Isherwood,

THE FLICK can't be considered for this year's Pulitzer. It will have to wait until next year.

Ass kisser.

by Anonymousreply 21203/25/2013

He'll get a better quality of blowjobs in LA anyway.

by Anonymousreply 21303/25/2013

What a grand narcissist Kazee is. Who would fuckin' care if he tweeted while on recovery?

by Anonymousreply 21403/25/2013

[quote]What a grand narcissist Kazee is. Who would fuckin' care if he tweeted while on recovery?

the nurses

by Anonymousreply 21503/25/2013

Has anyone seen CINDERELLA?

by Anonymousreply 21603/25/2013

Lavin was in great voice when she stopped the show at every performance with Broadway Baby in Follies.

by Anonymousreply 21703/25/2013

"She recorded several versions of the Alice theme and they ranged from R&B to light jazz. She nailed each genre."

If by nailed, you mean like Jesus to the cross, then I'll agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 21803/25/2013

r214 all "straight" male actors are narcissists

by Anonymousreply 21903/25/2013

So how is PIPPIN???

by Anonymousreply 22003/25/2013

While that stupid letter just reinforces how annoying I find Kazee, I still can't deny that

A) his performance was superb

B) I want his cock in my mouth and ass very deeply

by Anonymousreply 22103/25/2013

what [r221] said

by Anonymousreply 22203/25/2013

He used to spend forever standing in the street talking to his fans. I'd constantly pass him standing out there.

by Anonymousreply 22303/25/2013

Was he ever wearing flip-flops, r223?

And anyone have Steve Kazee feets pics?

by Anonymousreply 22403/25/2013

Kazee is the nicest guy, but those songs were not in his range and they forced him to sing in such a gravelly way.

by Anonymousreply 22503/25/2013

Kazee's facebook has said he is in Los Angeles for quite some time. It isn't a new thing.

Also, to be fair, Steve did make this statement after his contract would have ended. His lack of statement could very well be because the powers that be did not want him saying anything.

BTW, he had been "liking" things on fb, so he wasn't totally away.

by Anonymousreply 22603/25/2013

I didn't look r224. He's always behind the police barricade. I walk home on that street a lot and he was always out there. Seemed to really like chatting with the fans.

by Anonymousreply 22703/25/2013

so Kazee was in LA for pilot season and not for vocal issues? could explain why the producers were so pissed at him by the end

by Anonymousreply 22803/25/2013

I think he was in LA and moved back to NY for Once...did he ever change it to NY?

by Anonymousreply 22903/25/2013

Unless he was specifically looking to pick somebody up and score some ass, I don't see what reason an actor could ever have for wanting to spend a lot of time chatting at the stage door. Ego gratification?

Seems like you'd just hear the same gushing vapidity over and over, interspersed with people's inevitably boring stories about why they personally connect with the show.

by Anonymousreply 23003/25/2013

[quote]Unless he was specifically looking to pick somebody up and score some ass

nah...it always looked like a lot of teens with their parents who were waiting for him....

by Anonymousreply 23103/25/2013

He was picking up PLENTY of ass [r230] . He was a regular Errol Flynn of Broadway the past year

by Anonymousreply 23203/25/2013

Does that mean boys or girls r232?

by Anonymousreply 23303/25/2013

He's very gay-friendly and an advocate but he always would say "As a STRAIGHT MAN it really upsets me that my gay brothers and sisters cannot get married". He always made sure to say "straight man".

The "ass" I heard knew about were all women.

by Anonymousreply 23403/25/2013

I believe Kazee has learned the lesson of Cristin Milioti and will not do underaged girls, no matter how much they beg and plead.

ANd what is wrong with talking to fans and getting some ego boost?

by Anonymousreply 23503/25/2013

No more about Max Von Essen other than he is trying to loose weight?

by Anonymousreply 23603/25/2013

Well now that Evita is closed I'm assuming that Max and Ricky Martin are no longer r236 . I do love me some Max though.

by Anonymousreply 23703/25/2013

Not sure I believe Steve Kazee's letter. For someone who did so much tweeting, it seems odd he would abruptly stop like that. And the cone of silence from the rest of the cast and the production is really odd, if the "vocal rest" story is true. The production went on record as saying he was on "vocal rest," so if that's all there was to it, then why be so hush-hush about it even after saying that?

And it's also weird that Cristin Milioti made a speech on the 1-year anniversary and didn't mention him at all. And that he didn't come back from LA at least to be in the audience at the last show for Cristin and the others. Unless they don't like each other or something.

I'm still believing the rehab story.

by Anonymousreply 23803/26/2013

There was indeed a bit more to it than just the vocal rest r238 there were negotiations going sour. Kazee DID have some "vocal issues" and needed rest but he also wanted certain things in order to stay in the show. Being out didn't affect tickets sales and so...there was no need to give in to his demands.

by Anonymousreply 23903/26/2013

"he also wanted certain things in order to stay in the show"

Other than the obvious - more money - what were the things he wanted? Are we talking about perks like a car to and from the theatre?

by Anonymousreply 24003/26/2013

Yes, do tell his demands.

And no, he was not in L.A. for pilot season this year. His fb has said L.A. for over a year.

by Anonymousreply 24103/26/2013

I don't know details [r240]. Probably money or only doing 6 shows a week. Who knows? He is incredibly talented and Once is still making money. Neither party really needed the other anymore. Apparently he had checked out mentally shortly after the Tony win anyhow.

But the guy's been though one heck of a ride this year. Break-up, death of mother, Tony win, break-up again. I don't believe the rehab rumors. I DO believe the rumors that he is a narcissist and can be difficult.

I also believe that it was way too taxing vocally as well. What he does vocally in the show should not be done 8 times a week.

by Anonymousreply 24203/26/2013

Oh please, R242...

by Anonymousreply 24303/26/2013

Does anyone know why Miss Patti insists on spelling her surname like that (with the capitalized "P" mid-word?) "Lu" is not a prefix (like "Di") in Italian; "lupone" is a word that means "big wolf."

by Anonymousreply 24403/26/2013

BECAUSE I CAN, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 24503/26/2013

I hate people who do affected things with the spelling of their name.

by Anonymousreply 24603/26/2013

[quote]lupone" is a word that means "big wolf."

God knows, she has the face of one.

by Anonymousreply 24703/26/2013

Casey Nicholaw was the understudy for Kevin Chamberlin in Seussical only 12 years ago and in the chorus of Millie 11 years ago. Now, he's a Tony winning director and choreographer who is now directing TV as well.

by Anonymousreply 24803/26/2013

How does Robert Lupone(LuPone) spell it?

by Anonymousreply 24903/26/2013

Robert LuPone spells it just like Patti does.

by Anonymousreply 25103/26/2013

maybe Patti has IsSues

by Anonymousreply 25203/26/2013

[quote] Does anyone know why Miss Patti insists on spelling her surname like that (with the capitalized "P" mid-word?) "Lu" is not a prefix (like "Di") in Italian; "lupone" is a word that means "big wolf."

You do know that Patti and Robert's REAL last name is Luponey, right?

by Anonymousreply 25303/26/2013

Not Luponi?

by Anonymousreply 25403/26/2013

I thought Once had a gentle score full of Oirish folk music. Why would that cause vocal strain? Probably more from standing outside in the cold for hours talking to fans, I'll bet.

by Anonymousreply 25503/26/2013

I'm watching this Kristen Chenoweth Live from Lincoln Center special. Man, she is affected. She thinks she is the cutest little thing that ever happened to America, but her big Toddlers and Tiaras head plugged onto that stick body just looks creepy. This is not a leading lady...she's fine in small doses, but watching this whole concert makes me want to play Angry Birds with her head as the target.

by Anonymousreply 25603/26/2013

Good christ, Sirius is playing Chita's "Wages of Sin" from Drood. She sounds drunk.

by Anonymousreply 25703/26/2013

[quote]I thought Once had a gentle score full of Oirish folk music. Why would that cause vocal strain?

You're not suggesting he's other than a well-trained, technically secure vocalist, are you?

by Anonymousreply 25903/26/2013

Merman sang Gypsy 8 times a week without a mic and never needed vocal rest.

I imagine Kazee's negotiations were mostly about outs to do film and TV work so it really wasn't worth it.

by Anonymousreply 26003/26/2013

Kristin is subbing for Kelli Ripa right now; she is more delightful in 5 minutes than she ever was during the entire hour concert.

by Anonymousreply 26103/26/2013

Well, there's no doubt that performing a lead in a Broadway musical 8x a week requires proper training and vocal stamina but I would've thought after a year in the role he would've built up his endurance for it and knew his way around the score. I mean, nobody, other than Merman perhaps, has an unlimited vocal capacity.

by Anonymousreply 26203/26/2013

Rory's bf is Gerold Schroeder - 26y/o in the PR business. they live in HK

by Anonymousreply 26303/26/2013

Kazee's newest tweet

"It's time for #marriageequality! Now and forever. In the end the bright light of Love always outshines hate. Always. #str8againstH8 #scotus"

and speaking of Kristi Dawn, did anyone else notice her sipping a "big Gulp" during her LFLC concert? Proving her anti-Bloomberg point?

by Anonymousreply 26403/26/2013

Boy, you guys let R161 give you some interesting news, without a comment?

I'll rephrase it it here, for all you TONY speculators: MOTOWN the Musical is poised to become the big, big hit of the season. And I mean BIG. Talented cast, great music, great spectacle, and the audience absolutely LOVES it.

imho

by Anonymousreply 26503/26/2013

Dear God, the jukebox musical needs to just [bold]DIE[/bold] already.

by Anonymousreply 26603/26/2013

R265- And not one Tony Award because it won't need it. Or deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 26703/26/2013

Shill alert @ R265!

by Anonymousreply 26803/26/2013

Not to mention SHIT ALERT.

by Anonymousreply 26903/26/2013

Though I am sure it will be entertaining, there is nothing new creatively with the MOTOWN show. It is a jukebox show, no more, no less.

by Anonymousreply 27003/26/2013

R253 lies.

LuPone's father was Orlando Joseph LuPone. She was born Patti Ann LuPone. So she's not the one who made up the capital "P."

by Anonymousreply 27103/26/2013

Crystal Bowsercocks in Always Patsy Cline--theres some Broadway theatre for you

by Anonymousreply 27303/26/2013

[quote]I'll rephrase it it here, for all you TONY speculators: MOTOWN the Musical is poised to become the big, big hit of the season. And I mean BIG. Talented cast, great music, great spectacle, and the audience absolutely LOVES it.

It's "Smokey Joe's Café" of 2013!

by Anonymousreply 27403/26/2013

[quote]It's "Smokey Joe's Café" of 2013!

Or MEMPHIS.

by Anonymousreply 27503/26/2013

Merman strained her voice singing the Gypsy score in the keys on the cast album. Not sure how long she took off, but she sang the score in a lower keys upon her return.

by Anonymousreply 27603/26/2013

Merman's keys on the cast album are actually a half step higher than the printed score. Everything was lowered another half step for Angela Lansbury (and Tyne Daly and all others that followed).

In other words: "Everything's Coming Up Roses" was in C natural on the album, B natural in the original printed score, and B flat in subsequent reivivals.

by Anonymousreply 27703/26/2013

As it's 10:03 now, this is already old news, but first person standing at Orphan's 1st preview's curtain call was none other than Shia LaBoeuf.

And he looked damn fine! Show was prety great, too.

by Anonymousreply 27803/26/2013

What;s new with Steve Kazoo?

by Anonymousreply 27903/26/2013

Motown will be this year's Jersey Boys and will run a very long time. It has two key audience targets, Baby Boomers and African Americans. It doesn't need a name star, the music is the star. Hopefully it will eventually attract young people so that this wonderful music will be reintroduced to generations to come.

by Anonymousreply 28003/26/2013

r280 is a shill go away...

by Anonymousreply 28103/26/2013

Not the Motown shill, but I do think that no matter how shitty Motown is, it will run for a while. Like Rock of Ages or Jersey Boys it has a built in audience of non-traditional theatregoers who have no care in the world what the New York Times says or thinks.

by Anonymousreply 28203/26/2013

R275 Or "Ain't Misbehavin'"

Did Audra get pissed when Kristi Dawn did two of "her" songs?

by Anonymousreply 28303/26/2013

Steve Kazee needs to pose shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 28403/26/2013

The Assembled Parties is a mess of a play. It meanders and goes on tangent and has characters you don't care about in the first act that disappear in the second act, so you wonder, why bother?

But it has two great performances by Jessica Hecht and espeically Judith Light who ups her bitchy aunt performance in ODC to a bitchy aunt on steroids in TAP.

Dame Brantley will ejaculate all over this play. And Jake Silberman doesn't even take off his shirt (although he is in a robe that slips once in a while).

by Anonymousreply 28503/26/2013

Well, yeah, R280. I just hope that all parties involved are aware that they're not watching a show, they're watching a oldies concert with minimal staging/plot.

by Anonymousreply 28603/26/2013

I just did a Google image search for Steve Kazee, and the very first result was a pic of Jeremy Jordan!

by Anonymousreply 28703/27/2013

r284 if you are Facebook friends with him there is a video of him using a shakeweight and shirtless from about a year and a half ago - maybe two years.

by Anonymousreply 28803/27/2013

Jonny Orsini (Nathan Lane's love interest in THE NANCE who gets naked) - straight or gay?

by Anonymousreply 28903/27/2013

MOTOWN is this season's BABY IT'S YOU.

by Anonymousreply 29003/27/2013

Seems that Gavin Creel missed last night's performance of Mormon in London and scheduled to return tomorrow - reason given is laryngitis.

by Anonymousreply 29103/27/2013

Wow

by Anonymousreply 29203/27/2013

I told you he didn't have the voice for this score.

by Anonymousreply 29303/27/2013

KINKY BOOTS = BOFFO, my friend at the gym saw it and loved it, said the songs by Ms. Lauper are very catchy!

by Anonymousreply 29403/27/2013

The guy who wrote ONCE was embarrassing on CBS Sunday Morning last week, blubbering about someone on camera who died, plugging that insipid, boring musical of his. The songs are shite, pure dirges. Kinky has much better songs!

by Anonymousreply 29503/27/2013

Has anyone had or has dish on the gorgeous John Paul Young of JERSEY BOYS? He pings quite loudly and my face seats four!

by Anonymousreply 29603/27/2013

[quote]my face seats four!

Chins don't really count, though your honesty is refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 29703/27/2013

[bold] Kristin Chenoweth Says Dates Being Hammered Out for ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 29803/27/2013

Paul Giamatti's Hamlet trashed by Lady Isherwood as "dull and lifeless".

There are many words I'd think of in response to Paul Giamatti's acting - Dull and Lifeless not being among them.

Just for the record, Lady Isherwood has raved over the recent shitfests "Life and Times" and "Hands on a Hardbody".

by Anonymousreply 29903/27/2013

hammering and chenoweth in the same sentence are a dietary suppressant

by Anonymousreply 30003/27/2013

r286 I don't think the producers give a rat's ass if the people in the seats are there for a concert or a musical play. Their cash is green, either way. Come down off the mighty theater pedestal, live theater is live theater. If a story is being told, then it's musical theater.

by Anonymousreply 30103/27/2013

R299, I love Paul Giamatti but it is absolute folly (er, vanity) to cast him as Hamlet. I mean, c'mon. Maybe Hamburger Hamlet.

by Anonymousreply 30203/27/2013

Paul Giamatti was so badly cast as John Adams-way too ethnic and fugly. Good actor but only when he's well cast.

by Anonymousreply 30303/27/2013

Has Kathleen Chalfant ever played a lesbian on stage?

by Anonymousreply 30403/27/2013

[quote]Well, yeah, [R280]. I just hope that all parties involved are aware that they're not watching a show, they're watching a oldies concert with minimal staging/plot

Yeah, and as R301 says, unclench. Revues have been a part of Broadway since the beginning with Ziegfeld, billy Rose, George White's "Scandals" and Earl Carroll's "Vanities." Phil Silver's "Top Banana" "New Faces of 1934, 1936, 1943, 1962, and 1968", "Side By Side By Sondheim" "Eubie!" "Five Guys Named Moe", "Smokey Joe's Café", "Ain't Misbehavin'" and so on.......

by Anonymousreply 30503/27/2013

R305 I'm hoping there's a sequel called "Five 'Mos Named Guy."

by Anonymousreply 30603/27/2013

Anyone see Chad Allen and Jeremy Jordan in "The Little Dog Laughed"

did they get naked?

by Anonymousreply 30703/28/2013

R305, there's a big difference between a revue and the shit known as a jukebox musical.

Revues at least contained music originally written for the show, not hit songs dredged up from Tin Pan Alley and plopped into them.

by Anonymousreply 30803/28/2013

Yeah we get it, you don't like "Jukebox Musicals" but Revues are still not book musicals and have been around forever so just shut up already.

by Anonymousreply 30903/28/2013

So, R305/309, other than [bold]SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP[/bold], did you have a point?

by Anonymousreply 31003/28/2013

BREAKING Mega Flop GiGi is being revived in the 2013-14 season at a theater yet to be announced

by Anonymousreply 31103/28/2013

[quote] BREAKING Mega Flop GiGi is being revived in the 2013-14 season at a theater yet to be announced

That show KILLED me!

by Anonymousreply 31203/28/2013

No Aggie, my falling air conditioner killed you so I could replace you.

by Anonymousreply 31303/28/2013

"The Assembled Parties is a mess of a play. It meanders and goes on tangent and has characters you don't care about in the first act that disappear in the second act, so you wonder, why bother?"

Sounds like a typical Richard Greenberg opus.

by Anonymousreply 31403/28/2013

Stories about young females pairing off with older men just don't go down that well with audiences in 2013 (viz. Lolita, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Gigi, The Most Happy Fella, The Baker's Wife.)

by Anonymousreply 31503/28/2013

Anyone seen previews of A Trip To Bountiful?

by Anonymousreply 31603/28/2013

Flap over "The Flick" at Playwrights Horizons:

by Anonymousreply 31703/28/2013

R315 Oh no! I'd better stop working on "Anna Nicole: The Opera."

by Anonymousreply 31803/28/2013

R318,

Its been done already.

by Anonymousreply 31903/28/2013

Having read all the comments, I still don't understand why there's such a flap at PH. You'd think no one has ever disagreed about a play before.

by Anonymousreply 32003/28/2013

I think the problem is that the people doing the complaining are the sort of older, entitled windbags who demand that everything be catered to them and if it's not, there will be HELL to pay.

"It's people like ME who make theatre possible, so give me what I want, damn it!"

by Anonymousreply 32103/28/2013

Because some old fart subscribers were threatening to cancel subscriptions. And frankly, if a play you didn't like is reason enough for cancelling, good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 32203/28/2013

R320, I agree.

I did a play at PH called "When She Danced". The play involved Isadora Duncan's household where everyone spoke a different language. Huge chunks of the dialogue was in Russian, Greek, French, and German- often all at once. The audience was really angry that they could not understand what was being said. There were massive walkouts, particularly husbands dragging their wives out of the theater. After that, Flick sounds pretty harmless.

by Anonymousreply 32303/28/2013

[R318], Trip to Bountiful doesn't start previews until Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 32403/28/2013

I remember When She Danced r323! Wasn't that during Liz Ashley's drugged out era? Do you have any good stories about her?

by Anonymousreply 32503/28/2013

All this sludge is boring compared to the news that Steve Krazee has been, well, resurrected and is taking advantage of social networks once again. Now that's really news!

by Anonymousreply 32603/28/2013

What annoys me about Isherwood's article on PH and THE FLICK is that he acts like the only reason people don't like it is the length.

Well, I didn't like it because it was incredibly tedious. There's about 80 minutes (at most) of real content in THE FLICK and it's streteched out due to, IMO, a mistaken slavishness to what Baker and Gold consider verisimilitude. The characters just aren't interesting enough to carry the weight of that length.

There are plenty of excellent 3-hour plays I've seen where there are no walkouts: LONG DAY'S JOURNEY, VIRGINIA WOOLF, any number of Shakespeare's plays. But those plays have a richness of content and strong dramatic construction that keep you engrossed.

by Anonymousreply 32703/28/2013

R325, actually, she was not medicated at all. However, I think she had a "good behavior" clause in her contract. I know that they really wanted Penny Fuller for the role. We found out later that her agent or manager had never told her about the offer.

She did belt the stage manager on one occasion. I can't remember why.

She actually was pretty stage savvy if you could get past the crazy.

She also stole all of her costumes after the show.

by Anonymousreply 32803/28/2013

those idiot subscribers complaining about "The Flick" can and should go fuck themselves.

He should have written a letter encouraging the old fucks to remember what NON PROFIT theater is about and to remind them their subscription supports NON comercial theater.

I haven't seen this play but when you buy a subscription you buy it in part to support the theater. I never like every play in my subcriptions but I am happy that non-profit theater exists to try new things.

by Anonymousreply 32903/28/2013

LOL!! I love you both R312, R313!

by Anonymousreply 33003/28/2013

why would they revive GiGi when it was a massive, expensive FLOP?

by Anonymousreply 33103/28/2013

Though I disliked THE FLICK, I agree with R329. Everything else PH has done this season has been worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 33203/28/2013

So I can go to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 33303/28/2013

Gigi and Can Can--wake me when its all over

by Anonymousreply 33403/28/2013

If artistic directors had to write letters after the audience didnt like the plays they were producing-then that would all Scott Elliott would be doing

by Anonymousreply 33503/28/2013

Are they doing GiGi the musical or the play?

by Anonymousreply 33603/28/2013

GiGi the Musical!

by Anonymousreply 33703/28/2013

HANDS ON A HARD BODY closing this weekend??

by Anonymousreply 33803/28/2013

Smokey Joe's Cafe and Ain't Misbehavin didnf include music written for the play and John LLOYD Young is straight. Geesh.

by Anonymousreply 33903/28/2013

Maybe GiGi will use the reduced orchestrations and be produced as a small scale chamber musical as in London. I saw a regional production with Darcie Roberts and Thom Sesma, It was quaint. Nothing more, nothing less. But it wasn't the full out blowout affair that the Alfred Drake, Karin Wolfe, Agnes Moorehead, Maria Karnilova version was at the Uris.

by Anonymousreply 34003/28/2013

"I think the problem is that the people doing the complaining are the sort of older, entitled windbags who demand that everything be catered to them and if it's not, there will be HELL to pay."

Or maybe these are the same sophisticated, informed patrons of the arts who attend the opera, ballet, symphony, museums, etc. and have the good taste and erudition to protest overhyped nonsense when they see it. That said, I know at least a dozen people from every economic demographic who have seen THE FLICK and all of them, to a man (or woman), HATED it.

by Anonymousreply 34103/28/2013

GIGI at the Uris was an overblown and ugly boring mess. The material is better than that production showed, and in spite of some casting that would seem inspired, the French aspect just wasn't there.

Karin Wolfe was not pretty enough, young enough or talented enough for GiGi. Wasn't she rumored at the time to be having an affair with Lerner? Though why he would bother with her is still a mystery.

I'd love to see it get a beautiful production but if Eric Schaeffer is directing (which is non-directing), what hope is there?

by Anonymousreply 34203/28/2013

SUTTON FOSTER IS GIGI!

by Anonymousreply 34303/28/2013

Are you all aware that Tuck Everlasting is about to go into rehearsal without the guarantee of a theater?

They want one of the bigger houses but none are available now. I guess the Marriott Marquis is their best hope but the Jeckies may keep that one occupied through the summer.

Or Hardbody....which theater is that one occupying? Is it big enoug for Tuck?

by Anonymousreply 34403/28/2013

I will be curious how GIGI will be received in this day of Grrrl Power. Gigi is about the most least empowered female character in musical history. I don't see the 12 year old girls begging to see Gigi, nor do I see the super-moms buying tickets.

by Anonymousreply 34503/28/2013

[quote]why would they revive GiGi when it was a massive, expensive FLOP?

Yeah, why would they do something like that?

by Anonymousreply 34603/28/2013

In this version, Gigi will save Gaston and teach him to be socially aware, giving his money to the poor people of Paris.

by Anonymousreply 34703/28/2013

r347 you don't know how right you are.

by Anonymousreply 34803/28/2013

Actually, r345, that's not really true. Gigi turns the tables on Gaston and her grandmother and aunt. She falls in love with Gaston, but refuses to be his mistress, which is what the arrangement is that her grandmother and aunt have prepared.

At the end, Gigi is very much empowered - she holds out for what she wants, and she gets it.

by Anonymousreply 34903/28/2013

Gigi's a whore, darlin'

by Anonymousreply 35003/28/2013

Steve Kazee dating a (male) political comedy producer???

by Anonymousreply 35103/28/2013

This can all be solved by having a man play Gigi and a woman play Gaston.

by Anonymousreply 35203/28/2013

So maybe Kazee's lack of tweeting was because he was taking time out to learn the art of sucking cock?

by Anonymousreply 35303/28/2013

R349, the message is still "a woman is nothing without a man".

by Anonymousreply 35403/28/2013

Anderson Cooper is Gooch!

by Anonymousreply 35503/28/2013

How could the '70s GIGI have been ugly when the sets were by Oliver Smith?

by Anonymousreply 35603/28/2013

Because Oliver Smith was in his 90s in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 35703/28/2013

"In this version, Gigi will save Gaston and teach him to be socially aware, giving his money to the poor people of Paris."

LMFAO r347

by Anonymousreply 35803/28/2013

"Steve Kazee dating a (male) political comedy producer???"

Have you heard this from a reliable source, r351? All I ever hear is that he's a major pussyhound (though not a big Bush supporter).

by Anonymousreply 35903/28/2013

What is a political comedy producer? Works for Jon Steweart or Colbert?

by Anonymousreply 36003/28/2013

A male political comedy producer? Frank Rich? (I wouldn't be surprised.)

by Anonymousreply 36103/28/2013

Or Mark Russell!

by Anonymousreply 36203/28/2013

[quote]"In this version, Gigi will save Gaston and teach him to be socially aware, giving his money to the poor people of Paris."

Very funny!

by Anonymousreply 36303/28/2013

R353 don't tell MikeR! He'll remove Steve from his Facebook friends.

by Anonymousreply 36403/28/2013

Remove him? Hardly. Kazee going gay would be a dream come true to MikeR. He'd probably give him the blowjobs instructions himself.

by Anonymousreply 36503/28/2013

c'mon, no male on Broadway is a major pussy hound. They may dabble in bisexuality but they are not exclusive to pussy.

by Anonymousreply 36603/28/2013

They need to rewrite it and have Gigi rescue Fantine from her plight and then change Gaston into the Beauty and the Beast character of the same name. That'll bring in the little girls.

by Anonymousreply 36703/28/2013

Bitching about THE FLICK? Shit, I suffered through ARTS AND LEISURE with Harris Yulin years ago. I got battle pay.

by Anonymousreply 36803/28/2013

"If artistic directors had to write letters after the audience didn't like the plays they were producing-then that would all Scott Elliott would be doing." t I love you, R335 ;-)

by Anonymousreply 36903/28/2013

Speaking of theaters who know their target audience, isn't it great that LCT advertises on DL? Who here doesn't want to see ANN or that Richard Nelson play directed by deaf-loving he-man, David Cromer.

by Anonymousreply 37003/28/2013

Doesn't it seem likely that Sierra Boggess will play Gigi?

So there will be a "presentation" in early May of Robin Hood: The Last Adventure with book by Thomas Meehan, lyrics and direction by Martin Charnin, music by Stephen Sipos (I think that's his name). It's set about 20 years after Robin and Marian met and fell in love and they will be played by Anthony (Daddy Warbucks)Warlow and...Shelly Burch. Did Charnin manage to wrest his former ladylove away from The Church and back to showbiz? This one sounds intriguing.

by Anonymousreply 37103/28/2013

GIG will be somehow equated to GIRL POWER if you cant appeal to teenage girls, why produce anything

by Anonymousreply 37203/28/2013

I don't care who plays Gigi as long as it isn't Kelli O'Hara.

by Anonymousreply 37303/28/2013

Finally watched Kristi Dawn's Cheno's BWAY'S DAMES.

Good lord, what a waste of time.

I've enjoyed her at times (in small doses), but that was just weak.

Bad song selection, uneven vocals, and a real lack of thought or organizing concept. It might have been okay for a cabaret evening at the Metropolitan Room, but was underwhelming for someone of her stature, in that venue, and (really?) for GREAT PERFORMANCES.

by Anonymousreply 37403/28/2013

Sierra is too tall and too old for GiGi. GiGi should be played by an unknown.

by Anonymousreply 37503/28/2013

"So there will be a "presentation" in early May of Robin Hood: The Last Adventure with book by Thomas Meehan, lyrics and direction by Martin Charnin, music by Stephen Sipos (I think that's his name). It's set about 20 years after Robin and Marian met and fell in love..."

Sounds like James Goldman's ROBIN AND MARIAN, with Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 37603/28/2013

Yes, Gigi has to be an unknown. It worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 37703/29/2013

Unless Laura Osnes wants to play Gigi.....

God knows, she's played every other musical ingenue the last few seasons....

by Anonymousreply 37803/29/2013

R371 why do you say "former ladylove?" Charnin and Burch have been married since 2006, she is anything but former.

by Anonymousreply 37903/29/2013

[quote]Did Charnin manage to wrest his former ladylove away from The Church and back to showbiz? This one sounds intriguing.

Charnin and Shelley Burch have been married for some time. They live in Seattle.

by Anonymousreply 38003/29/2013

Shelly Burch got divorced and then got depressed over giving up her career for the church and her ex-husband. She looked up Charnin to try and get back in the business.

by Anonymousreply 38103/29/2013

Presenting of hole at Robin Hood?

by Anonymousreply 38203/29/2013

So Shelly Burch gave up the church for Satan.

by Anonymousreply 38303/29/2013

Wesley Taylot and Adam Chandler-Berat making out in a montage. How cute is that? Except that person is never the top. NEVER.

by Anonymousreply 38403/29/2013

Lionel Bart tried to musicalize Robin Hood and we all know how that turned out.

by Anonymousreply 38503/29/2013

But I love TWANG!!!

by Anonymousreply 38603/29/2013

Robin Hood didn't work out for Kevin Costner or Russell Crowe.

Or for Mel Brooks, either. When Things Were Rotten/Men in Tights.

by Anonymousreply 38703/29/2013

Christ. GIGI is the new MAME.

by Anonymousreply 38803/29/2013

Wasn't Kevin Costner's version a huge hit, r387? (Not that that has any bearing on the prospects of a Martin Charnin musical version...)

by Anonymousreply 38903/29/2013

R380, I know both Martin and Shelley well and they moved to NYC right after his buyout for the ANNIE revival....he got 5M NOT to direct the current revival.....and Shelley did pursue Martin after her divorce - she was in the original company of ANNIE as we all know, the second Grace Farrell, and still has her chops- great in her cabaret show....alot ALOT going on there with those two....Martin also "inherited" Shelley 3 kids- tweens and teens at the time- when they started their relationship and Seattle was simply not his bag- she made him move there for her kids sake- but now that they're grown back to NYC for them...and the money keeps rolling in, thank god, as he went broke paying off his ex - she got everything- and I mean everything.....

by Anonymousreply 39003/29/2013

First of all, are we realy to believe that Annie's producers could afford to pay Charnin 5 milion dolars to do nothing?

Secondly, if that's not true, how is the money rolling in now for Charnin? Even if he's getting royalties on the current Annie revival, the show hasn't and probably won't turn a profit so the royalties aren't huge.

by Anonymousreply 39103/29/2013

The question we should be asking -- given that this is nominally a gossip board and all -- is what happened between Sanford and Baker/Gold to make him go out of his way to distance himself from them and throw them under the bus, as they say on Top Chef. That's the answer to why do this for The Flick when it hasn't been done for countless other shows with much less artistic merit -- but the untold story is how their arrogance and refusal to listen to any input outside their own hipster bubble created this situation in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 39203/29/2013

R391- I dont care if you believe it or not- the only reason the revival happened was that Martin held out to direct,and when they finally told him point blank NO, his asking price was met. Also, the show does not have to turn a profit for royalties to be paid, and his are enormous.

by Anonymousreply 39303/29/2013

Shelly Burch is a right-wing Republican.

by Anonymousreply 39403/29/2013

GiGi went on tour in 1985 with Louis Jordan reprising his role from the movie.

by Anonymousreply 39503/29/2013

RIP Richard Griffiths. I thought he was older than 65. He always looked like he going to die during each performance.

Will DeVito Sunshine Boys recast now that US preemeire was announced?

by Anonymousreply 39603/29/2013

While reading "Shelly Burch" on this thread, I've been picturing this.

by Anonymousreply 39703/29/2013

r393 I believe you, but the idea of a Hollywood film company paying $5 million, essentially for nothing, would seem surprising in today's economy. So the idea of a Broadway company paying $5 million is so shocking I would have expected the NY Times, or at least Michael Riedel would have reported it. Someone would have leaked it, especially if one of the recipients was an intense Republican)

by Anonymousreply 39803/29/2013

Haha r397, I too was confusing Shelly Burch and Shelley Bruce, and thinking how sick it was that he married one of the girls who had played Annie...

by Anonymousreply 39903/29/2013

[quote]Or maybe these are the same sophisticated, informed patrons of the arts who attend the opera, ballet, symphony, museums, etc. and have the good taste and erudition to protest overhyped nonsense when they see it.

Nonsense. In NYC, the overwhelming majority of the audience for ANY of the things you mention is incredibly conservative and lacking in imagination--it's the main reason arts organizations here as so timid. They want nothing but the worst, most predictable rehashing of old hits, and get up in arms the second something hits the stage that seems even slightly more contemporary than Bernstein's "Candide."

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, or are 89 years old.

by Anonymousreply 40003/29/2013

r395, no, actually, that was Louis Jourdan and he was playing Maurice Chevalier's role!

Louis Jordan would have been interesting casting though.

by Anonymousreply 40103/29/2013

[quote] what happened between Sanford and Baker/Gold to make him go out of his way to distance himself from them and throw them under the bus

I'm wondering the same thing. I don't think Sanford cares if some subscribers are pissed (at the end of the day PH is still one of the leading theatre orgs in the world), this sounds a lot more personal between the two of them. Subscribed REALLY didn't like Neva at the Public and it's just going away earlier, you don't see Eustis writing a letter, etc. I wonder what impact this will have on Baker's career.

by Anonymousreply 40203/29/2013

r402, if Annie takes away the lesson that artistic integrity and respecting the audience's limits in terms of tedium are not incompatible, it could be the best thing that's ever happened to her.

by Anonymousreply 40303/29/2013

You may love TWANG!, but it was a colossal flop that (to my knowledge) has never been revived anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 40403/29/2013

As lyricist of ANNIE, Charnin gets 2% of the box office gross from every production - professional, community, high school, whatever (that's the Writers Guild minimum).

If the current revival pulls in $500,000 a week, he gets $10,000 a week in royalties.

by Anonymousreply 40503/29/2013

"The only reason people consider something to be experimental theater is if its concepts are too marginal or academic for people to understand, or if it's an ego-driven project. In other words, they call it 'experimental,' if, in some way, it's not working. The word is a criticism. When you use it, you're admitting that the artist did not convey whatever he was trying to say in a format that a large group of people might find involving."

by Anonymousreply 40603/29/2013

Nothing you've said, r406, disproves what I stated. NYC is notorious for being incredibly conservative when it comes to the arts. That you would even bother arguing that proves you have little experience of them. Everyone is entitled to criticism--but all of the forms mentioned (ballet, opera, symphonic music) dare not bother with the sort of experimentation your statement wants to assume is happening and trying to pass off as "experimental." IT IS NOT HAPPENING. Gilbert tried to bring contemporary music to the NYPhil with extremely limited success and much grousing; new productions that differ much from the slavishly literal are routinely derided by the audience of the Met (and yes, the success of the Girard "Parsifal" and the Kentridge "Nose" actually ARE the exceptions proving the rule; that the Decker "Traviata" serves as an example of regietheater says all one needs to know about the conservatism of NY audiences); ballet is, almost by definition at this point, a mausoleum.

So carp all you like: audience complaints are NOT always expressions of informed dissent in this city. They are most often the griping of a privileged class that wants to be soothed by art that they attend as a means of maintaining for themselves their class status.

by Anonymousreply 40703/29/2013

Many subscribers are set in their ways when it comes to theater and resent anything outside their comfort zone.

by Anonymousreply 40803/29/2013

[quote]As lyricist of ANNIE, Charnin gets 2% of the box office gross from every production - professional, community, high school, whatever (that's the Writers Guild minimum). If the current revival pulls in $500,000 a week, he gets $10,000 a week in royalties.

Not necessarily. A first class revival is not going to be licensed through MTI or anything. If Charnin's contract is like anyone else's on Broadway, he gets a minimum (which probably hovers around $2,000 a week) until such time as the production returns its investment. Then you get your full 2% or whatever it is.

by Anonymousreply 40903/29/2013

"Gilbert tried to bring contemporary music to the NYPhil with extremely limited success and much grousing; new productions that differ much from the slavishly literal are routinely derided by the audience of the Met..."

And for good reason: they stink. And that includes the latest Parsifal (the ugliest I've seen), the Lepage Ring (THE white elephant of heavy lifting) and The Tempest (an endurance test of monotony after five minutes). I used to belong to many of the non-profits in town as well, but gave it up after sitting through season after season of dreary, uninvolving "cutting-edge" musicals and plays. Iconoclasm is pointless if you haven't mastered the basic fundamentals of craft and the ability to engage an audience.

by Anonymousreply 41003/29/2013

You bring up interesting and VERY true points r407, but as a 48 year old gay man who attends the ballet, symphony and opera, let me tell you it can be a very slippery slope once one departs from "conservative productions" to Eurotrash crap.

by Anonymousreply 41103/29/2013

Thank you, R410, for that unintentional glimpse into the conservative audience mindset.

by Anonymousreply 41203/29/2013

R410, I agree with you to a degree. I would also add the new production of Faust, la Sonnambula and the dreadful Peter Grimes. However, I like the new Traviata and it certainly isn't a traditional production. Of course, it is also an import. It was not developed by the Met.

I think the problem with modern music and art is that is often very exclusive. It is as if you need a secret decoder ring to understand it. It is created to keep people out and appeal to a very select group.

by Anonymousreply 41303/29/2013

R392, do you honestly feel that Sanford "threw Baker and Gold under the bus" in that open letter he wrote to subscribers? I didn't get that at all.

by Anonymousreply 41403/29/2013

If you found that Parsifal the ugliest you've seen, I can't help you, 410.

The Lepage Ring, on the other hand, is really a mess. Though I'd say it's hardly "modern" in that it doesn't bother to have much of an opinion on the material at all--it just has a big machine and some people who stand in front of it. The real disaster there is the direction, not the design. It might as well be a concert staging with elaborate projections.

413 is correct in naming three particularly crap recent Met productions. I'd add the Hoffmann as well. That being said, I'd never want to go on record as saying they should've stuck with the old ones, because I'll go to recitals at the other Met if I want to hear music in a museum. Some new things don't work--using that as an argument against new art is just old crankishness.

by Anonymousreply 41503/29/2013

"If you found that Parsifal the ugliest you've seen, I can't help you, 410."

I'll survive. But when Parsifal sings about the beauty of a hillside of flowers in the third act and all we saw was a sterile lunar landscape, one could only conclude this Parsifal was insane. Madness and delirium--how moderne! It's so...20th century!

Now back to discussions about MAME, GIGI and FOLLIES.

by Anonymousreply 41603/29/2013

R410, I am glad that you agree on my three crap productions, but I disagree on Parsifal. It is almost a parody of a Eurotrash opera.

Desolate design that has nothing to do with the author/composers intent but is inexpensive to make- check

Soprano in long black leather trench coat that fits everyone- check

Men in modern dress suits to save money on costumes, but barefoot or suits worn in another "deconstructed" manner to make it appear as if it was a design/director's choice rather than just cheapness- check

Inserting characters that are not in the libretto for political correctness- check (The entire female chorus on stage.)

Bizarre staging that does not support the libretto- check (The notion that one side of the trickle of water was the women's area and the other side was the domain of the men.)

The only redeeming thing about Parsifal was that the cast I saw was excellent. However, I would rather see one of the old productions, say the Macbeth which is very old fashioned two dimensional painted drops with new staging (and god help us new choreography) than see something like Parsifal. It looked like it was done by a very minor regional German opera house.

by Anonymousreply 41703/29/2013

[quote]Desolate design that has nothing to do with the author/composers intent but is inexpensive to make- check

Uncheck. The production will likely not return due to cost. If you don't like it, that's fine, but don't talk out your ass.

Your other points are perhaps most generously described as being a matter of taste.

by Anonymousreply 41803/29/2013

I'm disappointed in that coward Tim Sanford. How can he POSSIBLY live with himself trying to keep his motley subscriber base of artifacts by sending that idiotic letter. Whatever happened to letting the work speak for itself? THE FLICK was a highlight of an otherwise dismal off-Broadway season. (I'm talking to you, Public and Atlantic and Vineyard). So fuck all those who felt the need to threaten Playwrights with cancellation of their subscriptions. Give your money to hacks like Red Bull. But let Playwrights do its thing. and if I were Annie Baker and Sam Gold, I'd cut all ties to Playwrights for their pussy lack of support.

by Anonymousreply 41903/29/2013

R418, It was a shared production. It most likely won't return because Met subscribers did not like it. Don't believe everything you read.

by Anonymousreply 42003/29/2013

Wesand Adam are both bossy bottoms

by Anonymousreply 42103/29/2013

In related news, opera queens are absurdly annoying.

by Anonymousreply 42203/29/2013

Jennifer Holliday will be playing Effie one mo' time in August in Atlanta's Theater Under The Stars.

by Anonymousreply 42303/29/2013

Oops, I meant Theatre of the Stars.

by Anonymousreply 42403/29/2013

FYI: Bruce Norris' new play, The Low Road, for The Royal Court, clocks in at three hours. The Court sent an e-mail to members before it opened.

I think The Flick sounds good, the kind of thing I'd appreciate. Guess it's not for everybody. Nowadays people have no patience they just want to get everything over with.

by Anonymousreply 42503/29/2013

Well since black don't crack she can play it tell she's dead. If you don't have Michael Bennett directing and choreographing or Robin Wagner's set the next best thing is getting Jennifer Holliday as Effie. It really is her role; she fought for it and the developed the whole thing around her.

by Anonymousreply 42603/29/2013

[QUOTE] Well since black don't crack she can play it tell she's dead...it really is her role; she fought for it and the developed the whole thing around her.

I'm super confused by this, but honestly I've never seen it on stage, so maybe I'm missing something. When they cast Holiday (who BTW is 52) as Effie, do they cast Deena and Lorrell in their 50s? Are they supposed to be an inter generational group? Does Curtis discover them as adults? It must be super weird to be cast with people who weren't even born when you first took on this role.

by Anonymousreply 42703/29/2013

After agent fees, Writers Guild dues and taxes, Charnin and Shelly are hardly rolling it in right now.

by Anonymousreply 42803/29/2013

Oh for God's sake, when will the twats here stop assuming that people dislike THE FLICK only becuase of it's length?

A good 3-hour play justifies its length. A thin 80-minute play stretched out to 3 hours by a navel-gazing playwright and director does not justify its length.

by Anonymousreply 42903/29/2013

Wes Taylor strikes me as the kind of guy who always has a cock in his mouth - it's the only way to get him to shut up.

by Anonymousreply 43003/29/2013

Wes Tay-Tay really queened it up in his dance with Scott's little girl and Leslie Odom on this week's SMASH.

by Anonymousreply 43103/29/2013

[quote] I think the problem with modern music and art is that is often very exclusive. It is as if you need a secret decoder ring to understand it. It is created to keep people out and appeal to a very select group.

Does everything have to be aimed for the broadest possible audience for it to be valid, viable or considered a quality production?

Not a snipe/bitch, I'm sincerely asking as a point of conversation.

For better or for worse, we are moving increasingly into an age where "broadcasting" - the big shared TV/movie/music events - is shrinking, and "narrowcasting" - where a specific set of people are the target audiences for a play, show, movie or television show - is expanding.

by Anonymousreply 43203/29/2013

Loved Odom's number

by Anonymousreply 43303/29/2013

Listen up people! If you don't like/dislike the same things that R429 likes - you're a TWAT!

You sort of prove R321's point. And everyone else's.

by Anonymousreply 43403/30/2013

r430 I don't know anything about Wes, but he always struck me as probably being a real cunt.

by Anonymousreply 43503/30/2013

Of course the theater has to be constantly moving forward and trying new things or it wouldn't remain interesting and relevant, either to audiences or the people who create theater. But the whole epater le bourgeois thing is retro modernist bullshit. Wagner and Bunuel and Ionesco managed to push the boundaries of their mediums without boring the fuck out of their audiences.

by Anonymousreply 43603/30/2013

R436 Agreed.

I've seen this with some plays and a lot of movies. My friend and I used to call them "pooping in a bathtub."

Because that was what was passing for grand commentary, or edgy - some strung out twentysomething shitting themselves.

It happened in the Larry Clark movies, it happened with all of those Adam Rapp plays.

Note to creators: Someone's complete collapse is not a narrative to hang an entire show on!

by Anonymousreply 43703/30/2013

[quote] But the whole epater le bourgeois thing is retro modernist bullshit.

You sound pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 43803/30/2013

***SUSAN HAYWARD as MAME question*****

For anyone who was involved with the Las Vegas tab production. I got an audio that was labeled Susan Hayward in MAME. It's a soundboard recording from the production at Caesar's. Listening to the recording, I don't beleive it's Hayward but Celeste Holm who was brought in to replace the star when she got sick. A friend told me that Susan Hayward never actually went on as Mame Dennis and had to leave during rehearsals. I never heard that. I tried Google for reviews or articles but didn't find anything except for some costume/ production photos that were likely taken during rehearsals. If Miss Hayward did do the show, anyone know how long she played the role? Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 43903/30/2013

Here's one article R439

by Anonymousreply 44003/30/2013

Thanks R440. I did find another article too. Appreciate it!

by Anonymousreply 44103/30/2013

And here's a cast list. Loretta Swit played Agnes Gooch.

by Anonymousreply 44203/30/2013

Why don't they ever do a revival of House of Flowers?

by Anonymousreply 44303/30/2013

Here you go, R439.

[quote] Susan Hayward in "Mame" played Dec. 16, 1968-Feb. 19, 1969 ... Celeste Holm took over as "Mame" Feb. 20-April 2, 1969 .

by Anonymousreply 44403/30/2013

There was an off-Broadway revival of House of Flowers in the 1980s, I think, which was a huge flop. It was also tackled by Encores with not much more success.

Like The Grass Harp, just be grateful for a glorious recording. Some shows are better heard than seen.

by Anonymousreply 44503/30/2013

Re: MAME Susan Hayward question. Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on you guys!

by Anonymousreply 44603/30/2013

Gooch: But Mrs. Burnside-- I want to live!

by Anonymousreply 44703/30/2013

House of Flowers at Encores could have been a lot better had they cast the lead with someone other than the humor-free Tonya Pinkins. There's no replacing the inimitable Pearl Bailey, but surely there was a better choice than Pinkins. Queen Latifah, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 44803/30/2013

Maybe Diahann Carroll can play Pearl Bailey's role

by Anonymousreply 44903/30/2013

Someone tell me

Shogun: The Musical

What went wrong? That was suppose to be our version of Les Miz.

by Anonymousreply 45003/30/2013

R450, what was right? The show opened with sailors being boiled in oil. There was a Ninja number that was just WTF? The lead was awful. The source material was just not musical.

by Anonymousreply 45103/30/2013

Speaking of Richard Chamberlain miniseries-would "Thorn Birds" make a good musical?

by Anonymousreply 45203/30/2013

There will be a mention of House of Flowers in an upcoming episode of Smash which I think will amuse you.

by Anonymousreply 45303/30/2013

Actually, "Shogun, The Musical" had one of the most beautiful images I've ever seen on a stage. It was a moment when all these warriors on horseback came out of a mist heading straight towards the audience. I have no idea how they did it but it was breathtaking. The rest of it was pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 45403/30/2013

Shogun, The Musical was suppose to rival Les Miz, as Broadway's version of an epic, sweeping pop musical.

So what went wrong that they couldn't stand up to Les Miz?

by Anonymousreply 45503/30/2013

A tab show?

They call it black bottom, a new twister, Sure got 'em, oh sister! They clap their hands and do a raggedy trot, it's hot!

by Anonymousreply 45603/30/2013

Old fellows with lumbago And young fellows, Away they go! They jump right in And give it all that they got!

by Anonymousreply 45703/31/2013

Who cares about the bathtub scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Give me gorgeous Jonny Orsini stepping out of a tub in The Nance any day. Gorgeous ass and thick cut cock on display for about a minute before he wraps a towel around his waist. Then he shows his ass again when he puts on his underwear. . Nathan Lane looks like he's going to faint at the sight. The boy can act too.

by Anonymousreply 45803/31/2013

With gorgeous cock, acting is a bonus but not a necessity .

by Anonymousreply 45903/31/2013

I hope that when the reviews for KINKY BOOTS come out, the critics take the idiot audience to task. I've never seen/heard a bigger collection of "look at me" reactions in my life. They're not reacting to the (wan) jokes or the (fabricated) emotions. They're getting high on the volume of their own participation.

It's a deadly dull, bargain bin show. The most inauthentic, soulless thing on Broadway right now. I expected so much more from Harvey Fierstein and Jerry Mitchell.... Oh, no, wait. I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 46003/31/2013

'It's a deadly dull, bargain bin show. The most inauthentic, soulless thing on Broadway right now."

Just go back to listening to your "Merrily We Roll Along" album for the 800th time, Dear.

by Anonymousreply 46103/31/2013

Saw a preview for PIPPIN last night. It was pretty good. There were intense acrobatics in it, similar to Cirque De Soleil, so it is a different take on the material. Andrea Martin did a great job and she herself did some acrobatics at the end of her big number, and received almost a full standing O at the end of it all. The Lead Player is a woman, Patina Miller, but after the first song you forget all about Ben Vareen. The character of Pippin is played by Matthew James Thomas and he is adorable (I have a new crush) but his voice was just a bit off last night and sounding strained.

Charlotte D'Amboise and real-life husband Terrence Mann do good work here, but the best performer by far is Rachel Bay Jones who plays Catherine. Too bad we didn't see her until Act 2.

What struck me as odd was the enthusiasm of the audience, who cheered and clapped as the show began and didn't really stop throughout. It was a young crowd too. It felt a bit like I was at a Mama Mia Vegas act.

by Anonymousreply 46203/31/2013

Was anyone at The Trip to Bountiful last night?

by Anonymousreply 46303/31/2013

moritorium on musicals with drag queens

by Anonymousreply 46403/31/2013

Ben and Mamie split. Meryl is not amused.

by Anonymousreply 46503/31/2013

[quote]but after the first song you forget all about Ben Vareen.

If only such a thing was possible...

by Anonymousreply 46603/31/2013

So Ben is FINALLY admitting to himself he likes getting fucked? We saw that coming.

by Anonymousreply 46703/31/2013

Ben is hot as hell. Anyone see him in LES LIASONS DANGEROUSE? Ay yi yi yi!

by Anonymousreply 46803/31/2013

I went to the 3 1/4 hours of THE FLICK last night and I LOVED it.

It was very unusual in that it captured the mindset of the people most in the Manhattan audience never notice or even think about. In my opinion it needed every minute of its pauses and silent moments.

by Anonymousreply 46903/31/2013

Charlotte St. Martin is gonna have an orgasm tomorrow when the grosses come out. Record breaking numbers- lots of hits. Bad economy? HA! How high will ticket prices go after Motown, Matilda and Pippin open?

by Anonymousreply 47003/31/2013

[quote] Ben Vareen

I imagined this in the voice of Ann Miller.

Ben Vareen's carn cahb holders.

by Anonymousreply 47103/31/2013

Those Judy's Groceries guys need to make more Ann Miller videos!

by Anonymousreply 47203/31/2013

"Actually, "Shogun, The Musical" had one of the most beautiful images I've ever seen on a stage. "

Absolutely. Plus, how often do you hear a song about dildos on a Broadway stage?

by Anonymousreply 47303/31/2013

Who is Ben Vareen?

by Anonymousreply 47403/31/2013

I remember that SHOGUN horse moment as well. When people were going on and on about the WAR HORSE puppets, I would think about that beautiful, fantastic effect. I've never seen anything like it in my 25 years of attending New York theater.

by Anonymousreply 47503/31/2013

Too bad there is no footage R475

by Anonymousreply 47603/31/2013

Jeremy Jordan in little dog laughed.... meh... small penis.

by Anonymousreply 47703/31/2013

r477

It was only small because I locked eyes with you and it shrunk!

by Anonymousreply 47803/31/2013

KINKY BOOTS = PRISCILLA meets THE FULL MONTY (coincidentally or not, all Jerry Mitchell shows)

I guess every season Broadway needs a drag queen musical (cf. LA CAGE, PRISCILLA, HAIRSPRAY, and now....)

Alas, Billy Porter is no RuPaul.

by Anonymousreply 47903/31/2013

No one gets naked in Kinky.

by Anonymousreply 48003/31/2013

I KNOW, R480. What a waste of Stark Sands' beautiful penis.

by Anonymousreply 48103/31/2013

Benjamin Walker is officially DEAD in show business.

DEAD!

by Anonymousreply 48203/31/2013

"...how often do you hear a song about dildos on a Broadway stage?"

"That you use a squash for/ Or pumpkins are fun..."

by Anonymousreply 48303/31/2013

Stark Sands is a ridiculuous name.

by Anonymousreply 48403/31/2013

...and a dull actor R484.

Boots is pretty awful, one boring lead and one RuPaul imitator do not make a good night of theatre.

by Anonymousreply 48503/31/2013

Did anyone see Cyndi and Harvey on the Times TV interview discussing KINKY BOOTS?

It was kind of endearing, but Cyndi is a little cray-cray. And she doesn't sound easy to work with. Harvey is clearly the voice of reason in that collaboration.

by Anonymousreply 48603/31/2013

Not a collaboration that worked unfortunately since I love them both.

by Anonymousreply 48703/31/2013

I wonder if they thought of RuPaul for the role. Can he sing live?

by Anonymousreply 48803/31/2013

Ann Nelson from 'Fame'

by Anonymousreply 48903/31/2013

Wow, R459, was that really John Slattery who flashed his cock in the Lisbon Traviata all those years ago? He (and I) must be getting old!

by Anonymousreply 49003/31/2013

RuPaul was in the Actors Fund HAIR benefit and cannot sing a lick-and could not remember the lyrics to a 1 minute song

JOhn Slattery in Lisbon--seriously hung

by Anonymousreply 49103/31/2013

r491

Was he given "Sodomy"? Was he replaced for the recording?

by Anonymousreply 49203/31/2013

That was really enjoyable, R486. I'm now trying to imagine little Cyndi Lauper holed up in her room with the cast album of My Fair Lady imitating Rex Harrison and being "grand."

by Anonymousreply 49303/31/2013

[QUOTE] Harvey is clearly the voice of reason in that collaboration.

No wonder it's fucked.

by Anonymousreply 49403/31/2013

What are the shows that might win a Pulitzer for 2012in the coming months? I looked over the shows in NYC and here's what I came up with.

4000 Miles The Big Meal February House Rapture Blister Burn Bad Jews Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike The Great God Pan The Other Place The Columnist

by Anonymousreply 49503/31/2013

I'd vote for Bad Jews. Truly hilarious and smart play that didn't get enough attention (in spite of rave reviews) at Roundabout's tiny Underground space but I predict will really break out as a hit when they move it soon to the Laura Pels.

by Anonymousreply 49603/31/2013

4000 Miles is 2 years old - doesn't qualify. Ditto The Other Place.

As with last year's winner, don't be surprised if the Pulitzer goes to a play that has not yet been seen in New York. There's lots of good original work being done in the regions.

by Anonymousreply 49703/31/2013

[quote]Not a collaboration that worked unfortunately since I love them both.

I felt the same way. But then when I was watching the KINKY BOOTS, I started to ask myself WHY I liked Harvey so much. As a writer, I mean. His list of credits is pretty dire when you start to think about it.

TORCH SONG is good, but then what? LA CAGE has a highly creaky book. LEGS DIAMOND, A CATERED AFFAIR and NEWSIES are all terrible. Just terrible.

I guess I just have so much fondness for him as a performer, I choose to forget how much I dislike his writing.

by Anonymousreply 49803/31/2013

You'd probably dislike Harvey, too, if you ever worked with him r498.

by Anonymousreply 49903/31/2013

Really? I'd heard he was nice. Do tell.

by Anonymousreply 50003/31/2013

And with the exception of NEWSIES, ALL of Harvey's writing beats the same dead horse - LOVE THE GAYS, WE ARE PEOPLE TOO NOT JUST FREAKS. He even shoehorned that into A CATERED AFFAIR, much to its detriment.

I'm not saying that's a bad theme, but Harvey's writing tends to hit audiences over the head with it far too much. Just like his drag queens, Harvey's writing doesn't know the word "subtlety."

by Anonymousreply 50103/31/2013

I just saw "The Nance"....what a bad play. Nathan Lane already looks bored. It did not even get a standing ovation, that says it all nowadays. I have always liked Lane but this was embarrassing. And it could have been great.

Johnny Orsini is a star in the making. I think he is the best on that stage. To the poster above who talked about Orsini's thick cock...how long has it been since you have seen a thick cock or a big one....or one for that matter. He is, however, great.

by Anonymousreply 50203/31/2013

RuPaul sang 'My Conviction' at the live performance of the Actors Fund Hair concert. And yes, mangled the lyrics in a way that rivaled Uggams' infamous "June is busting out all over" debacle.

by Anonymousreply 50303/31/2013

R503, I had forgotten all about that bit you're absolutely right. Ru really did bomb on the song, la-la-la-ing through parts and looking around to see if anyone would help. Charles Busch ended up recording the CD in her place.

by Anonymousreply 50403/31/2013

Is "The Nance" another "sad, sarcastic unloved clown with breaking heart" role for Nathan?

by Anonymousreply 50503/31/2013

Where's the laura osnes troll? I miss him trashing her. I like her BTW.

And where's Tyler Maynard and his big horse cock?

by Anonymousreply 50603/31/2013

THANK you, 474/Ben Vereen. I was going to do an "Oh Dear." Are people that misspell his name just - dumb? young? illiterate?

by Anonymousreply 50703/31/2013

Am I the only one who didn't know that Trip Cullman comes from SERIOUS money - cigar money, at that?

by Anonymousreply 50803/31/2013

[quote]And where's Tyler Maynard and his big horse cock?

The last we heard of Tyler (over a year ago!) he was spotted outside Becco with his tongue down Savananah Wise's throat. He was probably trying to distract her so he could take her phone.

by Anonymousreply 50903/31/2013

I don't understand why Vanya and Masha and Spike or whatever it's called is even on Broadway, let alone a potential candidate for a Pulitzer. Woody Allen did the whole Russian literary parody first and funnier in LOVE AND DEATH 35 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 51003/31/2013

[quote]The last we heard of Tyler (over a year ago!) he was spotted outside Becco with his tongue down Savananah Wise's throat. He was probably trying to distract her so he could take her phone.

Hasn't Tyler stolen enough I-phones to eat better than the 'all you can eat' pasta special at Becco? Love Savannah - glad she got all that facetime during SMASH last week. She's fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 51103/31/2013

Best Actor nominees for the Tonys is highly competitive this year:

Tom Hanks, Lucky Guy

Nathan Lane, The Nance

David Hyde Pierce, Vanya and Sonya and Masha and Spike

Alec Baldwin, Orphans

Bobby Cannavale, The Big Knife

Alan Cumming, MacBeth

Have I left out anyone? Which of the 6 won't make it?

by Anonymousreply 51203/31/2013

Tracy Letts -Virginia Woolf

by Anonymousreply 51303/31/2013

R513. Yes, and Letts should win it.

by Anonymousreply 51403/31/2013

I don't think Baldwin will got a nom based on the fact that no one can stand him.

by Anonymousreply 51503/31/2013

r505, yeah, pretty much.

by Anonymousreply 51603/31/2013

R497-If a play from the regions does win the Pulitzer, it will inevitably come into NYC, get a truly bad production from either Playwrights or Second Stage that will have everybody wondering, "Who votes for these fucking things?"

My money's on Chris Durang.

by Anonymousreply 51703/31/2013

I think Durang has the best shot too. Lots of lousy plays have won Pulitzers. He won a PEN award earlier in the season, and was honored at Yale. I have a feeling this is his year.

by Anonymousreply 51803/31/2013

I think there's a lot of loyalty for Durang, but mostly a sense of relief that he actually wrote something funny and halfway decent this time.

by Anonymousreply 51903/31/2013

ROTFLMAO - So true!

Was August, Osage County a winner before it came to NY?

Otherwise The Kentucky Cycle and those plays by Spanish authors totally fit that description!

Otherwise I do not think a single play that won before it came to NYC got great reviews or even won a TONY.

by Anonymousreply 52003/31/2013

What about Clyborne Park? Was that off-Bway when it won?

August... was already on Bway when it won.

by Anonymousreply 52104/01/2013

Clybourne Park had closed off-Broadway (having completed its limited engagement) and was running in London when it won the Pulitzer.

Only then was it decided to bring it to Broadway, and that almost didn't happen, no thanks to Scott Rudin.

Populist comedies like Durang's rarely if ever even get Pulitzer consideration anymore; it's not a lifetime achievement award. I doubt if he'll make the short list this year.

I would not be surprised, however, if the short list contained at least one of the shows done by Lincoln Center in their new space upstairs. DISGRACED got a lot of attention and ended up getting many extensions due to good reviews and word of mouth.

by Anonymousreply 52204/01/2013

[quote]Even if he's getting royalties on the current Annie revival, the show hasn't and probably won't turn a profit so the royalties aren't huge.

HUH? I've never heard of this "minimum royalties until break-even" plan. I can assure you every show pays the creatives at least the standard minimum royalty payments each week regardless of the box office. Very rarely there is a story about how the creators are forgoing some payments while a show struggles to find an audience, but I think this is just PR as the shows always die quickly anyway.

I can guarantee that Martin Charnin is and has been receiving his contractual 2% per week of the Annie grosses since performance 1!

by Anonymousreply 52304/01/2013

Does the Pulitzer matter anymore? Did it ever?

by Anonymousreply 52404/01/2013

What about The Flick? The Whale? And that play with David Schwimmer that everyone loved? Are they eligible?

by Anonymousreply 52504/01/2013

The Schwimmer play, DETROIT, was a finalist a few years ago. The WHALE is eligible, but not THE FLICK for the award this year.

Durang was a finalist a few years back as well for MISS WITHERSPOON, so it may happen for VANYA.

I think this award may not help in the box office, but it does give a playwright cache.

by Anonymousreply 52604/01/2013

R462 is a parody post, right??

by Anonymousreply 52704/01/2013

Stark Sands really needs to get naked a lot more...

by Anonymousreply 52804/01/2013

R523, you're a bit off. Royalties are almost never paid on the gross, anymore. Once upon a time Charnin would have gotten his 2% of gross for writing/directing, but these days virtually everything is on a royalty pool based on weekly net profit. It's usually something like 40% of the profits, which is divided among all the royalty-receivers at whatever percentage their agent/lawyer has negotiated. In any case, however it's divided the authors' share must represent at least 17% of the net profit.

If there was no net profit in a given week, everyone gets a predetermined minimum payment. Many productions "amortize" now, which means they make a direct payment to the investors every week which is added to the running costs, but in that case the royalty calculation gets adjusted (because the profits are being artificially deflated) and post-recoupment, the royalty share goes up.

It's a trade-off - you get the money back to the investors faster, but you pay more in the long run to the royalty participants.

There is also a royalty waiver built in - for up to four weeks, the creators can all agree to forego their royalties (but they all have to - usually its in the contract that they preemptively agree so the producer just decides that it's happening). Presumably that's to weather a bad time, but in the few cases I've gotten a royalty, waiver means we're four weeks from closing.

And inflating the budget by $5M to make a direct payment to a bookwriter sounds suspicious to me. I can't believe any investor would agree to that - that alone adds another few months to recoupment. I'm sure he got something, but I have a hard time believing $5M without some definitive source. All the papers have to be meet SEC standards and everything disclosed, so surely it would have been remarked upon.

And from what I understand, the money Strouse and Charnin made from the Jay-Z remix of "Hard Knock Life" trumps what they've made on the show, believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 52904/01/2013

[quote]Am I the only one who didn't know that Trip Cullman comes from SERIOUS money - cigar money, at that?

A lot of them do. That whole Harvard/Yale/Brown crowd that writes and directs all the not-for-profit shows; they mostly come from money. It's all coke and family summer houses and pretension.

On the one hand, who else could afford to work in an industry where a couple of ten thousand dollar commissions a year is considered a living? On the other hand, that lack of hunger (coupled with the ridiculously high self-esteem that comes of being born into money) leads to incestuous and affected trends. A bunch of rich kids licking each others' asses and entertaining no one.

by Anonymousreply 53004/01/2013

who's the bf?

by Anonymousreply 53104/01/2013

Now that Mamie is free from her husband, she should make a triumphant return to the stage playing Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

by Anonymousreply 53204/01/2013

Mamie IS Mame!

by Anonymousreply 53304/01/2013

who's the guys between Rubendall and Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 53404/01/2013

That's Tom (formerly Tommy) Berklund - very sweet guy, was in the "Normal Heart" tour and a replacement in the "Chorus Line" revival and has been the poster boy for more than one edition of Broadway Bares.

by Anonymousreply 53504/01/2013

Thanks r535!

by Anonymousreply 53604/01/2013

Have you seen the Masha, Sasha, Yadda Yadda Durang play yet? Kristene Nielsen is fantastic. Her phone call in Act II is worth the whole show. Will for sure win featured actress Tony. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 53704/01/2013

Assembled Parties is half baked-sorry Judith Light give back your Tony--cliche and ham fisted performance. Even The usually expert Jessica Hecht is lost at sea--is her character brain damaged? autistic? why is her performance so stilted and affected?

by Anonymousreply 53804/01/2013

Did you know that the extra 'A' in Rachael Ray's name is taken from the 'A' that Barbra Streisand dropped from her first name?

by Anonymousreply 53904/01/2013

Good Christ:

[quote]I have two post-its on page 133 of Secrest's Sondheim bio. (I don't want to try to count how many I have through the entire book.) The post-its on that page contain notes on statements in two successive sentences. The sentences are "Merman's only failure on Broadway in a thirty-year career had been her most recent show, Happy Hunting, in 1956. Her most recent Broadway success, Call Me Madam, in 1950, had been directed by Jerome Robbins."

[quote]The first post-it says, "Not really a failure, certainly no more than Stars in Your Eyes." The second one says, "Huh?", the huh? referring to the statement that Jerome Robbins had directed Call Me Madam. On page 150, Secrest includes Call Me Madam in a list of shows directed by Abbott.

by Anonymousreply 54004/01/2013

R529, Thomas Meehan wrote the book for Annie. What does he get?

by Anonymousreply 54104/01/2013

r539: And Denis O'Hare dropped the second 'n' in his first name following Barbra's example!

by Anonymousreply 54204/01/2013

Meehan is sitting pretty with royalties from ANNIE, THE PRODUCERS and HAIRSPRAY.

by Anonymousreply 54304/01/2013

But what percentage does the book writer get?Same as the lyricist and composer?

by Anonymousreply 54404/01/2013

"And Denis O'Hare dropped the second 'n' in his first name following Barbra's example!"

Her name was originally Barnbran?

by Anonymousreply 54504/01/2013

Right, I realized I said "bookwriter" when I meant "lyricist". The three creatives split that cumulative 17.56% of the net however their agents have negotiated it. I presume it's a pretty even split. I have no idea what "Annie"'s breakeven is - I'd guess probably in the $500-$600K range, but that's just a guess.

But for fun, last week's gross was $941,132 (which doesn't take into account credit card fees and other deductions.) If the weekly costs were $550K before royalties, that would make a profit of about $391K.

$234K would go to the investors, $157K would be split among the royalty pool. At least $68K needs to go to the writers, the remaining $89K is split between the director, designers, author of source material, orchestrator, producers - whoever has an agent good enough to get them cut into the pool.

The three writers presumably split that $68K pretty evenly, so Meehan's check for last week would have been around $23K, presuming my breakeven number is right.

If the production grossed less than $550K, the royalty participants would receive their contracted minimum.

This is rough back-of-the-napkin math and there are lots of other caps and clauses and things, but this is the rough idea.

by Anonymousreply 54604/01/2013

Thinking a little more, $550K is probably low for the breakeven. It's probably more like $650K, which would bump the author payments down to around $17K a week.

by Anonymousreply 54704/01/2013

Argh. Just checked my notes and it's actually 15.56% for authors, not 17.56%.

So, if the nut is $550K, each author gets around $20K. If it's $650K, they each get around $15K.

by Anonymousreply 54804/01/2013

OMG LET IT GO

by Anonymousreply 54904/01/2013

R529 is dramedy and his OCD flowchart! You can smell those savant-like posts a mile away.

by Anonymousreply 55004/01/2013

WHAT'S THEIR WEEKLY NUT?!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 55104/01/2013

Harvey has seduced everyone on Broadway with his weird charm, especially Michael Riedel. Don't expect them to tell the truth about the book for KINKY. They won't say how average it is.

by Anonymousreply 55204/01/2013

But how much does Kathleen Chalfant's GF receive weekly?

by Anonymousreply 55304/01/2013

Word on the street is that Steve Krazee takes all the royalties from these boring entries and that's how he's spending his newfound free time.

Soon..soon..a new theater gossip thread will be starting. Let's get some real gossip going instead of the armchair accounts society. Please.

by Anonymousreply 55404/01/2013

oh, ann, if only i'd heeded your warning:

STREISAND ON CHATTERBOX!!!

Posted by:tmlop 02:34 pm EDT 04/01/13 Seth Rudetsky has managed to get Barbra Streisand to do Chatterbox next month. Her son Jason has been following the show on line and told his mom all about it. She said she would do it! Anything for Broadway Cares. They may have to do it at a larger room because it is too small a place and all the club are fighting over where. As soon as they set the date and time and place.....a press release will be issued.

The cover charge will be $25 which will be a donation.

April fool!!

by Anonymousreply 55604/01/2013

dramedy, is that yuo?

by Anonymousreply 55704/01/2013

Hands on a Hardbody is posting tom'w night. Decision made today.

by Anonymousreply 55804/01/2013

Interesting how you guys gossip freely about Cherry Jones and Sarah Paulsen. But when it comes to Kathleen Chalfant, you guys are tight lipped.

by Anonymousreply 55904/01/2013

Michael Urie is giving the performance of the season in "Buyer And Cellar" Now, this is a one man show that should be on Bway, not that fucking Alan Cumming piece of shit.

Plus, you'll be laughing your ass off.

by Anonymousreply 56004/01/2013

Forget Kathleen Chalfant. Now, Bernard Delfont, who's his gf?

by Anonymousreply 56104/01/2013

if I had to sit through that Alan Cumming Macbeth Id claw through the arm rests-15 min a week as Eli Gold is more than enough

by Anonymousreply 56204/01/2013

i would have liked it better if it was Hands on a Hard Booty

by Anonymousreply 56304/01/2013

We need to solve one mystery at a time.

Kathleen was first in line.

When we find out who her gf is, then we can move on to Bernard Delfont

by Anonymousreply 56404/01/2013

THE BIG KNIFE is no GOLDEN BOY.

by Anonymousreply 56504/01/2013

Urie is incredibly hot in "Buyer And Cellar", but sadly, has no ass.

It's ok, I can overlook that.

by Anonymousreply 56604/01/2013

God I hate that pit the Rattlestick Theater. Old, dirty, the toilet is ONSTAGE (so good luck if you have to pee once the show starts) and the seats are old and uncomfortable. Why don't they just take over the Cherry Lane, which is all refurbished, since they use it all the time anyway?

by Anonymousreply 56704/01/2013

Who on earth is paying for Alan Cumming's vanity project?

by Anonymousreply 56804/01/2013

Ken Davenport is paying for it.... now i think he actually may be in love with Alan

by Anonymousreply 56904/01/2013

Is Ken Davenport queer? He's sorta hot.

by Anonymousreply 57004/01/2013

I think Ken D. is VERY hot. Even though I'll never get him, would still love knowing he's into the homosex.

by Anonymousreply 57104/01/2013

I once did wardrobe for a show at The Cherry Lane THeatre. The ceiling was so low on stage that the lights were just inches away from the actors' heads making them insufferably hot in the summer months. Lots of laundry between shows and no washer/dryer in the building.

by Anonymousreply 57204/01/2013

R572 did you ever work with Kathleen Chalfant?

by Anonymousreply 57304/01/2013

Alan Cumming should do a one-man Rocky Horror. That I'd pay to see.

by Anonymousreply 57404/01/2013

Judging by DL, Alan Cumming seems to be quite disliked. Why is that? Is he a diva or something?

by Anonymousreply 57504/01/2013

Cumming is actually quite nice. But DL being DL...

by Anonymousreply 57604/01/2013

Alan Cumming is one of the most talented, dynamic actors today. He can sing or dance or act better than almost anyone while always being trendy and cutting edge. Of course he is openly gay so he gets dumped on him here!

by Anonymousreply 57704/01/2013

I need to get my weekly nut.

by Anonymousreply 57804/01/2013

Alan Scott is an authority on EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 57904/01/2013

Aaaaaannnd....Brantley doesn't love LUCKY GUY.

by Anonymousreply 58004/01/2013

a little Alan Cumming goes a long way

by Anonymousreply 58204/01/2013

John Slattery back when he was showing off his big dick in Lisbon Traviata.

by Anonymousreply 58304/01/2013

More young John Slattery

by Anonymousreply 58404/01/2013

Why is John Slattery married to George Clooney's discard?

by Anonymousreply 58504/01/2013

KINKY BOOTS is dreadful.

It's a Vegas show without the charm.

Someone needs to tell Harvey Fierstein that's it not 1973 anymore.

Jerry Mitchell is such a hack of a choreographer.

Why on earth did they bother setting it in England? Whatever, the movie happens in England, but who's seen the movie? And who'd care, anyway? Not a single actor can land a British accent. Poor Stark Sands can't get anywhere near it. Ditto Billy Porter, who, by the way, has no charisma. Zero.

Annaleigh Ashford is fun and is probably going to win a Tony. She provides the only comic moment.

Are we not completely done with the clichéd thing about nobody's more of a man than a guy in a dress?

Ugh.

Of course, the audience LOVED IT. An audience of idiots, congratulating themselves.

The songs are not unpleasant, but they literally go in one ear and other the other. That's not of course rare for a Broadway musical since about 1982, but still.

by Anonymousreply 58604/01/2013

Annaleigh Ashford ain't winning no Tony.

by Anonymousreply 58704/01/2013

I don't think you understand what "literally" means, r586, or what the figurative expression really is.

by Anonymousreply 58804/01/2013

Oh, Andrea Martin, okay.

Annaleigh Ashford'll be nominated, though, surely?

I saw a Wednesday night performance, and I guess they'd all already done a matinee, but none of them could get all the way up to their high notes, and their voices sounded tired.

And Lauper has written a score that is mean to punish Billy Porter. Does Fierstein not know how to craft a book around a diva? Aren't you supposed to give your Big Belting Star a little down time between show stoppers? Like, a patter song here or there, to save her voice?

Wow, and the Act 2 plot decisions are LUDICROUS. Suddenly they decided to turn Stark Sands's character into someone he's not, just in order to serve the plot, and in order to give the poor guy a truly embarrassing AMERICAN IDOL star turn. The song makes no sense, and it's boring. I liked Stark Sands in AMERICAN IDIOT, but he seems to have plain run out of charm for this one.

by Anonymousreply 58904/01/2013

Did anyone see "Lucky Guy" tonight?

by Anonymousreply 59004/01/2013

"meant to punish," not "mean to punish," oops

r588, where were your raised? Mars?

The phrase is, "Went one ear and out the other."

Surely you've heard it?

It means, "I don't remember a word/note of what you said/sang."

"Literally went in one ear and other the other" means Lauper's music doesn't stick in your memory, even as you're hearing it. Not unpleasant, but instantly forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 59104/01/2013

Wow, typos:

Where were you raised.

Went in one ear and out the other.

by Anonymousreply 59204/01/2013

So is Hanks out of Tony contention?

by Anonymousreply 59304/01/2013

oh, ladies

It's "in one ear and out the other." and the music isn't literally doing that. no music can literally go out of either ear.

by Anonymousreply 59404/01/2013

r594, that's what I SAID: in one ear and out the other.

Okay?

Prissy prissy.

How do you queens ever enjoy Broadway theater? You are so thoroughly lacking a sense of humor, a light touch, a sense of irony, spontaneity, grace, an ability to take pleasure in anything except naked guys - except that's not even pleasure, that's hostile, angry, yearning, competitive rage.

by Anonymousreply 59504/01/2013

No, they'll nominate both him and Midler just to make nice.

by Anonymousreply 59604/01/2013

Tom Berklund is charming, and sex on a stick. We are at the same agency, and see each other in the office every now and then. They really want to get him on a tv show. He can act I hope. I'm sure he had one of those two very small roles in The Normal Heart. Why not? I'd take one look at him and give him the part, he's pretty dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 59704/02/2013

Hope OP's almost ready with #108!

by Anonymousreply 59804/02/2013

#108, freshly served -

by Anonymousreply 59904/02/2013

I like "Steve Krazee." Clever and obvious at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 60004/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.