Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why I Love Saxby Chambliss’s Honesty on Gay Marriage

By Jon Walker (March 21, 2013)

When asked by [italic]Politico[/italic] if he had changed his opinion on same-sex marriage Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) simply responded, “I’m not gay. So I’m not going to marry one.”

This should be forever remembered as the defining Zen kōan for the problem with the current GOP. In just two short sentences Chambliss some how magically captures the essence of what is wrong with the modern Republican Party. It is a simple but truly enlightening statement.

Since Chambliss isn’t gay the issue of marriage equality doesn’t personally affect him, so he doesn’t care if his position on the issue is hurting other people. Those other poor schmucks are not Saxby Chambliss. What an amazingly honest admission.

While Chambliss is talking about same-sex marriage, this basic line could easily be adapted to explain almost every other major position of the Republican Party. Chambliss isn’t unemployed, so he is not going to need unemployment insurance. Chambliss can’t get pregnant, so he doesn’t need the right to choose. Chambliss makes more than minimum wage, so he doesn’t need minimum wage laws. Chambliss is not an Iraqi, so the war will not hurt him.

The Republican Party is coming to be defined by an exclusionary form of narrow self-interest. The rare times a Republican official seems to show empathy, like Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) did on marriage equality, it is only because the issue pierces their bubble by directly affecting them on a personal level.

Republicans used to at least try to create sophisticated justifications for positions that could hurt some people but Chambliss seems to have stop even trying.

by Anonymousreply 1903/25/2013

All true.

by Anonymousreply 103/22/2013

Hick trash. Quelle surprise.

by Anonymousreply 203/22/2013

I saw this a few days ago and when I read the first paragraph, I thought, "Great, a Republican who's come to his senses." Because "I'm not gay. So I'm not going to marry one." is a sane viewpoint that should logically lead to an expansion of equality.

But in Republican-speak, it means "Anyone who's not just like me is unworthy of rights equal to mine."

by Anonymousreply 303/22/2013

How ironic since you would think he would be sympathetic to gays, since you know he had the shit kicked out of him in the schoolyard as kid named SAXBY.

by Anonymousreply 403/22/2013

damn

by Anonymousreply 503/23/2013

Well, it's similar to their stance on sending soldiers into war: "I'm not a member of the armed forces so I don't care if they die."

by Anonymousreply 603/23/2013

SHUT THE FUCK UP. ASSHOLE,FREEPER! Go stir shit somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 703/23/2013

Well, damn! Now what am I going to do with 1,000 wedding matchbooks engraved with "Lindsay and Saxby"?

by Anonymousreply 803/23/2013

What the hell kind of name is Saxby?

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2013

[quote]Well, it's similar to their stance on sending soldiers into war: "I'm not a member of the armed forces so I don't care if they die."

Actually it's more like "I'm a draft dodging chickenhawk piece of shit who talks about 'supportin' the troops' as I fuck over one who gave up three limbs in Vietnam."

by Anonymousreply 1003/23/2013

true

by Anonymousreply 1103/23/2013

R9, it's not uncommon in the South to have family names as given names. Possibly his mother's family is named Saxby.

I come from an old (and completely undistinguished) Southern family and I effectively have three last names instead of a first, middle, and last. It sounds something like Jefferson Montgomery Reynolds XXIII, I shit you not.

Yes, even in liberal Southern families like mine.

by Anonymousreply 1203/23/2013

Someone's name and region don't determine their politics, r12.

And all families are old. Every person alive comes from a long line of ancestors.

by Anonymousreply 1303/23/2013

R13, I didn't say anyone's name or region *determined* their politics. However, there are undeniable regional trends in politics. The South as a region is widely and correctly known for a conservative tendency that I don't want to be associated with.

As to "old family", do you really not understand this means a long documented family history, or are you being intentionally dense to try to make a point? One need not think there is anything special about having an "old family" to understand the meaning of the term.

by Anonymousreply 1403/23/2013

hmmm

by Anonymousreply 1503/23/2013

No r14, r13 is right. Everyone has ancestry. Just seems you're trying to give yours an added significance.

by Anonymousreply 1603/23/2013

I don't begrudge you your opinion, R16, but I don't see how calling my family old but "completely undistinguished" is consistent with an attempt to give it added significance. Of course we all have ancestry, but some people know more about their family than others. Mentioning it when commenting on Southern names doesn't mean I think my family is more significant than anyone else's.

It does, however, mean I know a thing or two about how Southern naming conventions because I've seen them documented in my family and in others, which is why I'm able to suggest an answer to R9's question.

Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 1703/23/2013

Saxby comes from Shreveport. They probably got his name off a can.

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2013

R18 Don't the cans in Shreveport still say "White" and "Colored"?

by Anonymousreply 1903/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!