Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Your Electricity Bill Average?

Here's an interesting chart from the U. S. Department of Energy.

How average is your electricity bill at your home?

Not surprisingly Southern residences use the most electricity because of air-conditioning, but other states' monthly bills are usually higher. Looking at you Hawaii! Jeez Louise!

In this 2011 survey, Louisiana is tops followed by Tennessee.

How do you stand with your state's average?

by Reddy Kilowattreply 2903/22/2013

Fuck mine is soooo high. Average $250 a month

by Reddy Kilowattreply 103/22/2013

I have a studio apartment in NYC Proper. My bill during the winter is approximatley $35/month, while during the summer it's around $65 because of the AC unit.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 203/22/2013

How does that compare with the New York State average, r2?

by Reddy Kilowattreply 303/22/2013

When I switched instead to a battery operated device, I cut the power bill for my compound in half.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 403/22/2013

I live in Northern Dutchess County, NY and live in a 1000 sq ft ranch house. Averaged $72 a month last year. Don't have electric heat.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 503/22/2013

A moderate climate in AZ: $78 average with electric heat and AC for 650 sq. ft. Obviously we're frugal, well insulated, and lucky.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 603/22/2013

Chicago $20 in winter; $35 in summer. Much cheaper and more reliable than when I lived in Georgia. I've had maybe 2 power outages in ten years, whereas in Georgia I used to have a dozen or more a year. And the power came back on much faster in Illinois too. Several times in Georgia it was down for several days. Lot fewer surges too. Georgia Power was a crap company.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 703/22/2013

I live in Texas and I'll KILL for a $141 electric bill. Perhaps the overall average is dragged down by the size of our state and number of people, especially in poor rural areas, who might not have air conditioning? I don't know but mine averages $300-350/month.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 803/22/2013

Yes R2 I think these averages are for families of 4 or 5. Maybe a lot of televisions, puters plus air conditioners.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 903/22/2013

I live in Westchester County, NY and Con Edison is my supplier. I live in a 1400 sf home by myself, and spend the majority of my time there asleep. Oil heat, electric furnace and hot water tank, electric stove, 2 window unit a/cs in summer, and pool pump in summer. I average $300 a month, just about 3x higher than NY average. WTF is up with that?

by Reddy Kilowattreply 1003/22/2013

Mine is about about .75x the state average ($124), though the house is about 2.5x the national average in size.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 1103/22/2013

The average for Texas is pretty damn high: $141.20.

Mine is about $50 during the "winter", and can be $100-120 during the summer, but I leave the a/c on almost all the time for the dog.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 1203/22/2013

This chart represents the average usage and monthly cost of all residential electricity accounts within a given state.

It is the average of the different residential rate structures from different electricity companies that may be operating within a state, in addition to any rural cooperatives that may be within a state.

I am pleased to be below the average usage and monthly bill in my state.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 1303/22/2013

I have a 3,000 sq. ft. house and my average is half that of my state's average.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 1403/22/2013

I'm in CT and moved into a 900 sf apartment with electric heat in July of last year. So far my bill has been between $50 and $95 but I turn off the heat when I go to work and use an electric blanket at night.

The coldest the apartment has ever gotten is 58 degrees. If I was home all the time the bill would probably be over $200.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 1503/22/2013

NYC studio apt. Con Ed, about $140 a month in the winter and about 270 a month in the summer with my energy star AC. WTF???

Okay, I use a hot plate as a store and a toaster oven as an oven. I have a washer and dryer (each over 20 yrs old, can't afford new oned) AC is only a few yrs old though. So still WTF???

by Reddy Kilowattreply 1603/22/2013

That's incredible performance, r14.

What are your secrets to getting such low usage and low bills?

by Reddy Kilowattreply 1703/22/2013

San Francisco 1 bedroom apartment. $45 average per month for electricity. Have steam heating with old fashioned radiators. Landlord pays water bill.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 1803/22/2013

R16 Your toaster oven, hot plate, washer/dryer alone will drive up the cost, never mind the air conditioner.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 1903/22/2013

[quote]What are your secrets to getting such low usage and low bills?

I honestly don't know. I have gas heat and cooking, but so does a lot of the state. I even work at home all day. I used to think that my meter was off, but it was replaced a year or so ago -- same result.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 2003/22/2013

I know someone who never could figure out why their winter gas bills were always a little under $20.

This went on for a few years. He didn't question it too diligently, as you would imagine.

Then the gas company came out and replaced his defective meter.

Sent him a big bill to cover the incorrect billing, but I never heard if he actually paid it.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 2103/22/2013

California's hourly rate is about the highest in the country except for Hawaii. This is the legacy of Ken Lay and Enron. I hope Mrs. Lay and the kids are enjoying all their stolen money since he never paid back a cent of the money he looted from the tax payers and his employees pension funds.

Rich people justice in the U.S.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 2203/22/2013

Where I am gas is super cheap but you have to pay $45 fixed fee every two months just to have an account and maintain the lines.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 2303/22/2013

I can't believe the average monthly electricity bill in FL is ~$140.

I have a 3BR house in the panhandle and mine runs between $75 - $120.

I'm all-electric too.

Some folks must have higher rates and I think some Northerners moving down often cannot acclimate and feel they must keep their homes at 72˚.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 2403/22/2013

It's not a fair comparison when some people have all electric homes, while others use different fuels for heating, cooking, etc. For example, I have a gas heater, water heater, range, and dryer. So my electricity use would be much less than someone who uses electricity for all of those functions.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 2503/22/2013

r25 --

Electric air conditioning or gas air conditioning?

by Reddy Kilowattreply 2603/22/2013

I live in Southern NH, 1000 ft ranch. I have oil heat, electric stove. I just got my electric bill today and it's $45. My bills are biggest in the summer with the AC on but usually no more than $70 a month. My water bill is $45 every quarter.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 2703/22/2013

One bedroom in Manhattan. I only use gas to heat up water for tea. I eat mostly raw, so no cooking of any kind. All of my appliances, except for the fridge, are unhooked when not in use. I don't watch TV, but I have a neat stereo system which can sometimes be on for hours. My laptop is plugged in most of the time.

My bill averages $65 a month in all seasons except for the summer when it goes up due to AC use. Ten years ago, my bill was $35 a month and I used to cook and have the TV on every evening.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 2803/22/2013

Loft in Seattle, everything electric, average $50 or so a month but I barely have to turn the heat on.

by Reddy Kilowattreply 2903/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.