Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How come all the people in the Health Food Store look like crap?

There's a health food/organic market/vitamin store near me in nyc and I've stopped in a few times and each time I noticed that all the people in there shopping look way less healthy than, say, those in the regular supermarket or on the street.

by Anonymousreply 4503/23/2013

They always stink too!

by Anonymousreply 103/22/2013

OP, I've noticed this too at my local health food store. They spend all this money buying overpriced food and drinks that's supposedly good for you, yet the majority of the people look haggard. If that's what so-called healthy food does for you, then I'll pass!

by Anonymousreply 203/22/2013

Which store, OP? I shop at health food stores and look like shit. I was just curious if you were talking about me.

by Anonymousreply 303/22/2013

lol at r3. I love how you just toss that off, " I look shitty and eat healthy, was it me?" Is there a reason this is so? Or do you mean today you did? Either way that's a funny response. Sorry. Go on.

by Anonymousreply 403/22/2013

I don't know about that. Quite a few guys who work as personal trainers at my gym prattle on about shopping for spirulina, herbs, seeds, and natural detox kits at different health food stores yet they all look very healthy and buff.

by Anonymousreply 503/22/2013

Yes R2 that's the word ---haggard, I was trying to think of a way to describe it because its a particular type of look, the same kind of look you see on a lot of runners, which is also supposed to be healthy. And yes, it also makes me feel better about just eating "normal" food and wary of that organic stuff!

by Anonymousreply 603/22/2013

The ones at mine neighborhood store all look like androids

by Anonymousreply 703/22/2013

A lot of people turn to trying to "eat healthy" in desperation after they get sick. That's why they look like crap.

by Anonymousreply 903/22/2013

I frequent several such places and am always find the staff creepy in general. Most stores make their money selling supplements. When you use most supplements you are substituting healthy food for weird things that can be lethal.

by Anonymousreply 1003/22/2013

I recently attended a lecture on nutrition. The speaker was a woman who lives in the N. Calif. mountains & spends most of her time milking goats & making cheese, while growing produce to cook with vegetarian recipes. She was very knowledgeable & seemed like a nice, pleasant, sincere person.

But she looked like hell. Stringy hair, dry skin, saggy boobs (no bra, of course), & a muddy complexion. Never mind the unfashionable baggy skirt & peasant blouse, clunky shoes, lack of cosmetics or hairstyle -- those things have nothing to do with health. But this poor creature lives a serene life in a pristine wooded environment & eats only natural food, so she should have been glowing with robust innate beauty. Instead, she looked like a worn out 50 year old, though her biography sounds like she's only about 35.

I did receive some good information about nutrition, but I doubt that she inspired anyone by example. "Eat okra & goat cheese curds so you can look like me!"

by Anonymousreply 1203/22/2013

Well GNC is a franchise operation typically owned by industrious Indian Americans who hire their staff at near-minimum wages, so you often see staff there similar to a McDonald's, overweight uneducated minorities, who are good workers trying to earn a decent wage, but have little interest in or abidance to wholistic health

by Anonymousreply 1303/22/2013

People with diseases shop in health food stores. My partner went to school with av guy who was a major druggie and drinker. Years later he had Hep B, Hep C and diabetes. He had a very high paying job and spent tens of thousands of dollars on "health" crap. Macrobiotic diet, herbal remedies, seaweeds, vitamins, berries, extracts, potions -- you name it.

He lost his job and had to take a lower paying one. He has no savings because of his idiotic expenses. And he has to pay for his own health benefits which is costing him a fortune since he has to be on insulin and antiviral meds -- real medication that actually works.

Yeah, he looks like crap. He used to be very handsome and now he looks like a fat owl.

by Anonymousreply 1403/22/2013

Bump our thread up again and we can go home for the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 1503/22/2013

They can't quite afford plastic surgery so the cost of a place like Whole Foods is a close second.

by Anonymousreply 1603/22/2013

R13 What are you talking about? GNC is apples and oranges. R14 The Hep B/Hep C treatment should take a year.Hep C in the US has seen a great leap in people being clear within a year. I wonder how he got co-infected, anal and herion? That with a little bit of drinking does it.Especially Hep C.

by Anonymousreply 1703/22/2013

Actually, here in LA, everybody's looking pretty good. Plenty of laughable faux-tantric self-involved shit heads, but even some of them look good. Others clearly have chronic illnesses.

by Anonymousreply 1803/22/2013

I had wondered if it had something to do with a lot of them having some illness or disease that made them turn to "healthy" eating, like R9 said, and I'm sure that's true to an extent, but even all the young people shopping there have this certain look I can't explain, the staff has it too. Its kind of like the look of the lecturer in R12 s post. And yes I know young people can be sick too but not all of them!

by Anonymousreply 1903/22/2013

[quote]Actually, here in LA, everybody's looking pretty good. Plenty of laughable faux-tantric self-involved shit heads, but even some of them look good. Others clearly have chronic illnesses.

Considering it's LA, you do realize a lot of them probably have had "work" done too, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 2003/22/2013

r5, how old are these personal trainers? People in their 20s can be unhealthy and still look great. It's around the 30s that things start appearing.

Also, I find alot of these personal trainers can be all talk. They "play the part". They are actually a step up above hustlers.

by Anonymousreply 2103/22/2013

Late twenties, early thirties, I'd guess. I actually got to know one of them and he is seriously into healthy nutrition.

I am lucky enough to have an excellent non-chain supermarket in the neighborhood where I can get organic eggs, vegetables, meat and fish but a lot of people don't have that option. But, I agree that a lot of peopleI see in health food stores are not even doing it for healthy lifestyle reasons but as a statement. You know the type: crunchy granola hipsters with dreadlocks, Earth Goddess mommies, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2203/22/2013

I worked with a girl who was like 26, always eating healthy, etc, etc. She looked great but she was always sick.

by Anonymousreply 2303/22/2013

R12, and R22's statement, But, I agree that a lot of people I see in health food stores are not even doing it for healthy lifestyle reasons but as a statement. You know the type: crunchy granola hipsters with dreadlocks, Earth Goddess mommies, etc.t

Nails these people to the tee! I was LOL! This reminds of the Berkly loony crowed , many of the people in Menlo Park and Palo Alto crowed in Northern California. Hipsters and old hippies who have piercings everywhere ,and gigantic holes in their ear lobes. They act like they are part of the little when they drive around in expensive cars, live in mansions, and own modern art, of course.

When I was younger I was considering to become a vegetarian,and this Italian American guy I worked with was much older than me and was begging me not to do it. He said when he was going to college he became vegetarian and ate nothing ,but health produces Like GNC. He said he was sick all of the time ,and he looked like a zombie. He stopped and when back to eating his grandmother's Italian food and he felt rejuvenated and energized.

Another person that I knew at that time had a friend who was a vegan and she went kind of nuts because she just didn't eat right. She told me if you don't go vegan in the right way monitored by some doctor at least, you can have a lot of problems.

BTW, I have tried seaweed once and it was very, very awful. Without a doubt seaweed is truly extremely healthy for you and loaded with vitamins.

by Anonymousreply 2403/22/2013

It amazes me whst people choose to believe. I have a neighbor who will not allow anything in her house that is not "all natural" (no plastic, eg) and who will not take a pill manufactured by "Big Pharma" and refuses to see a doctor because she does not believe in "western medicine."

But she will buy any shit she has decided has magical power. Certain teas, green coconut milk (or green coconut water -- I can't remember); she goes to people who diagnose her by feeling up her feet. Yoga. No gluten (self-diagnosed). She convinced her children that their children are hyperactive so that she could get them on the feingold diet from the 1970s. Those poor children. They aren't even allowed to have colored Easter eggs. Even vegetable food dyes are unacceptable and naturally thru aren't allowed jellybeans or chocolate because sugar is the devil.

I had to stop being friends with her because I couldn't take it anymore. Even her dog had to be taken to an alternative veterinarian because she believed vaccinations were evil.

by Anonymousreply 2503/22/2013

I always noticed the same thing. I think it's because "health food" has nothing to do with health. It has everything to do with a subculture of self-dissatisfaction and weakness, and not with people who actually are committed to being healthy.

And they do stink.

by Anonymousreply 2603/22/2013

R25, that is crazy. However, my brother has a friend who is a food chemist and he said artificial food coloring cause cancer,but natural coloring is fine.Some people are allergic to gluten so in that case they have no choice, but I have heard doctors are finding out choosing to be gluten free can be harmful to your health because you body needs some gluten. I think if you eat in moderation, and eating organic food in moderation, I think that is the real way to eat. Its just living a balanced life. Some people go to the extremes one way or another and its not normal. BTW, previously I forgot to mention. My mother had a friend who was extremely into vitamins, health supplements, natural alternatives, etc. She wound up dying of breast cancer.

by Anonymousreply 2703/22/2013

The raw food people I know have lean, great bodies. They shine. They eat boring food, but eat a lot. Meat eaters STINK - right from their greazy armpits

by Anonymousreply 2803/22/2013

Here's something no one ever mentions. Linda McCartney was a health food nut (was she vegan?),way before it was fashionable. She died young of cancer. It's all genes. The ailments, and things that killed our parents and grandparents are the things that will beset and kill us. I love the chemicals and preservatives. I wonder if they are preserving me? I eat whatever I want,and always have. I'm very happy.

by Anonymousreply 2903/22/2013

[quote]I love the chemicals and preservatives. I wonder if they are preserving me?

There might be something to that. Several years ago, I read an article whose author said that people worry far too much about preservatives.

The author said, "If they called them anti-oxidants (which is what they are), people would line up around the block from the health-food store to buy them. Put them in granola, and those same people go ballistic."

I think he has a point. And there are far bigger food issues to go ballistic over.

by Anonymousreply 3003/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 3103/23/2013

Their ideas on beauty don't help. A health food store I went to had a woman demonstrating a handmade bar soap. She was going on and on about its benefits - easy on the skin, non-allergenic, all natural, etc. Then she said it's so mild, it's the only soap she uses - she even uses it on her hair. Too bad, because her hair looked like someone had straightened out some shredded wheat and pasted to her head. Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 3203/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 3303/23/2013

I mentioned this thread to a good friend of mine on the phone earlier, and told him the different reasons people have hypothesized for this syndrome, and its probably a combination of some or all of these theories. He came up with another one, which is that many of these people are not really enjoying their lives, they're so obsessed with staying "healthy" that they're not having any fun, and this reflects in their whole being, internally and externally.

by Anonymousreply 3403/23/2013

The men I see working and shopping at gnu are always gorgeous. I'm always the ugliest person there when I go (by far.). At Trader Joe's, Whole Paycheck and the local healthy stores the people are really unattractive. I have a friend who is devoted to only organic, no meat, etc etc and refuses to wear deodorant or makeup because they are "bad" for people. She's 32 and looks about 50. I'm older than her and get mistaken for her daughter. I told her once I thought she would be more attractive with mascara and she said it makes people's eyelashes shorter until they stop growing. I told her my lashes have been the same length in the 25 years I've been using mascara. People are ridiculous, bur if they want to look awful that's their choice.

by Anonymousreply 3503/23/2013

I think your friend may be right r34.

by Anonymousreply 3603/23/2013

Why do people in doctor's offices look sick?

by Anonymousreply 3703/23/2013

I'm big on healthy food but I don't set foot in health food shops. No need. The green grocer has all the healthy food i need. Health food stores sell some healthy food but they also sell a lot of crap that doesn't necessarily work. And their staff are the most boring people to ever walk the earth.

"Magenta and I like to take Krill oil for imaginary aches and pains, we also use this healthy protein bar the size of a small child and coated in chocolate as a mid afternoon snack, and this gigantic jar of orange powder is made entirely of grated orange peel and seaweed from Thailand and we just pop a huge tablespoon of it into this brand of goats milk every day at 4pm. If you can push past your gag reflex its soooo delicious. It's the reason my hair is so greasy. Greasy hair is healthy hair! The total comes to $198.00 but in just 4 weeks you'll feel a million bucks. Especially if you come to see our spirit healer who comes in on Wednesdays ($75 for 30 mins).

by Anonymousreply 3803/23/2013

I don't eat sugar, salt, or dairy. I eat only a macrobiotic diet.

by Anonymousreply 3903/23/2013

How positively quaint, Madge.

by Anonymousreply 4003/23/2013

They hardly seem like the types to tan, have cosmetic procedures, wear a lot of makeup, use lots of hair products, etc.

It seems like that would contribute to the perception.

by Anonymousreply 4103/23/2013

I agree about their beauty products, most of them suck. Sometimes chemicals are good! Just because its a "chemical" made by scientists doesn't make it unhealthy per se, and just because its natural doesn't make it great. Each case is individual, but its like they say oh I would never use chemicals on my hair...but your hair is literally dead, lady and it looks like straw and split ends had a party, so what have you got to lose?

One miracle natural product though and the reason I usually go in this place is aloe vera. I use that stuff for everything with skin--after I shave, if I get a sunburn, rash, any kind of burn, blemish etc. I even used it to shave a couple times when I ran out of shaving gel (though I still prefer Edge with all those great chemicals!).It feels good has a nice texture and it works...oh and its cheap too.

by Anonymousreply 4203/23/2013

I work in the natural foods industry & yeah, there are definitely a lot of characters in health food shops. As a rule people should rely more on healthy organic whole food & less on supplements.

if you are an omni know where your meat comes from. If you are a vegan you need to take B12. I have been a vegan for years and I look really healthy. There are a lot of people with food issues in the wellness industry & a lot of addicts/alcoholics strangely enough

by Anonymousreply 4303/23/2013

I buy this huge oatmeal soap bar from Trader Joes made in the South of France. I think its around $3.00 and I just love it! I have very sensitive skin and I highly recommend this soap bar. The soap bar is very huge so it lasts for a while so its really worth the money. I take 1,000 MGS of biotin which is pretty high because the norm is 100 MGS. However, 1,000 MGS works for me.I buy it from Target for around $2.00 and its Target's brand which is a generic brand. My hairdresser and everyone I know, commented that my grey hair has been reduced. I was surprised by the results using Biotin. I started to get grey hair when I was 18,but I refused to dye my hair because I don't want to put a bunch of junk in my hair.

by Anonymousreply 4403/23/2013

I have sensitive skin too--I think you need to be very careful when it comes to putting things on your skin because just because it works for some people you might have a bad reaction to it. For example, I've tried different vitamin c products on my skin and they always burn, but Retinols which is vitamin a and causes irritation for a lot of people works fine. The best thing is to just try it on a small portion of your skin first before slathering it all over.

by Anonymousreply 4503/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!