Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does quality of grammar really make an impact on your life?

It seems like I've been critiqued for the umpteenth time about how bad my grammar is on Datalounge. Does bad grammar really matter? Like seriously?

by Anonymousreply 4810/13/2014

Here's your grammar challenge, OP. I see seven grammatical errors in your paragraph above. Find them all and you'll get a prize at the end of the business day. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 103/22/2013

Poor grammar causes others think that you are stupid. If that's okay with you-then have at it.

by Anonymousreply 203/22/2013

I dun looked over the OPs paragragh n I dunt see no grammatcal errers atall. Gramer aint that impotent as peeple make out to be

by Anonymousreply 303/22/2013

The grammar queen contributes little of interest to the DL other than correcting others. Makes him feel important.

by Anonymousreply 403/22/2013

I think that r2 pretty much has it right. Also I read this on another thread and I think it sums it up too:

"There is a direct positive correlation between the number of spelling and grammatical errors in a post and the poster's fervor for his favorite conspiracy theory."

by Anonymousreply 503/22/2013

I judge grammar errors .. harshly and with prejudice.

by Anonymousreply 603/22/2013

Being articulate abut your thoughts makes a really big difference. Yes. It truly does

by Anonymousreply 703/22/2013

I wouldn't hire you, OP, or recommend you for any responsible job that requires a conscientious employee (even if it involved no writing at all).

Your grammar stinks, but could be corrected with a little effort on your part. However, your attitude that society's rules & conventions don't matter is probably too ingrained to be altered at this point.

by Anonymousreply 803/22/2013

Sometimes it is helpful, like someone was told here on the correct usage of a word. Mostly it isn't though; being told about simple typos is ruining here. Learn the difference between common typos and genuine illiterate idiocy.

Look I also hate the likes of "should of" instead of should have, that one is the worst, but sometimes you're typing so fast you end up saying things like that and "their" instead of there. There's no big science behind it. Correcting an its/it's error makes YOU look like the idiot in serious need of a life, unless you're a proofreader or something.

I mean FFS, as long as the poster's grammar and punctuation isn't all over the place and it's comprehensible then leave the fuck alone. Using that as an argument against someone is the last bastion of the lame.

by Anonymousreply 903/22/2013

But the problem r9 is that most people don't know that it's "should have" and not "should of". When I see that written it makes me irritated because it is as easy to put an apostrophe, if you know the word you are replacing. Since people don't, I know that they really think it's "of", which makes no fucking sense, which tells me they are not very smart. People can somewhat get it away with it when they are speaking but inevitably a "fustrated" slips out and then you know what you're dealing with.

by Anonymousreply 1003/22/2013

If one's grammar ignorance reflects on them, LET IT FUCKING REFLECT on them, do not correct.

by Anonymousreply 1103/22/2013

Ironically grammar Nazi R2 is missing a key word in his sentence.

[quote]Poor grammar causes others think that you are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1203/22/2013

LOL@ R4... THE grammar queen. Honey, there isnt a grammar queen here. There are about 7.5 million people who went to college and know how to speak and write correctly.

THE grammar queen...bwa hahahahah ahhahahah hahahaahah

by Anonymousreply 1303/22/2013

I know, I noticed that too r12. Sometimes I wonder if people are subconsciously doing that because it's always when they are spewing about grammar or misspellings that I see these things. The gist of it is right though.

by Anonymousreply 1403/22/2013

Yes Brandon, it does.

by Anonymousreply 1503/22/2013

On a message board for entertainment, not really. As others have said sometimes we type faster than we think, and make usage and spelling mistakes.

Proper grammar is important to me in a professional environment. It is important, but less so in a social setting.

by Anonymousreply 1603/22/2013

I will sometimes look back on something I typed wrong and think, oops. I wonder if someone will catch this.

Marian the Librarian always does.

by Anonymousreply 1703/22/2013

Bad grammar makes you seem unintelligent. Whether that matters depends upon how you live.

by Anonymousreply 1803/22/2013

OP, as a bottom, if you're being fucked by a Datalounge top and your demands have dangling participles, he's sure to lose his erection.

by Anonymousreply 1903/22/2013

But it's not the typos r16, I notice when there are legitimate typos and when someone really has a bad grasp of the language. You can say it's ok for message boards but when you are trying to convey a point and wanting people to believe it they are going to consider the source and if it's not a well written source it's easier to write off. Also I don't think people should switch up for business and social settings, maybe for profanities but not for everything. If you get used to doing things correctly and consistently than it's easier to do.

by Anonymousreply 2003/22/2013

You shouldn't sound like a moron, but in a place like DL, where you use the informal register, there's a limit to how much it matters.

Unless someone's grammar is terrible, I don't see any reason to care. Most of the complaining here is pointless bitchery over typos or an idiosyncratic need for more formality than is reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 2103/22/2013

More often than not, people who comment on grammar are less important than the people who don't comment on grammar. What is imporrtant, is that you are conveying a clear thought. In todays world there are many reasons for poor grammar especially on chatboards.

All of us have more important concerns to invest our time.

by Anonymousreply 2203/22/2013

Imagine a world without grammar, OP.

Now you realize how important it is.

by Anonymousreply 2303/22/2013

" In todays world there are many reasons for poor grammar especially on chatboards."

R22, your missing apostrophe and comma actually drove me to pop 2 Percocets.

by Anonymousreply 2403/22/2013

Manage they would think.

by Anonymousreply 2503/22/2013

[R13] Says the grammar queen

by Anonymousreply 2603/22/2013

I helped my uncle jack off a horse.

I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse.

Let's eat grandpa!

Let's eat, grandpa!

by Anonymousreply 2703/22/2013

That's hilarious r27. Knowing Rachel though, was it really an error?

by Anonymousreply 2803/22/2013

R8 plucks her eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 2903/22/2013

[quote] Ironically grammar Nazi [R2] is missing a key word in his sentence.

Ironically this isn't an example of irony.

by Anonymousreply 3003/22/2013

[quote] It seems like I've been critiqued for the umpteenth time about how bad my grammar is on Datalounge. Does bad grammar really matter? Like seriously?

So are you saying your grammar is only a problem on DL?

by Anonymousreply 3103/22/2013

R30, it's actually a perfect example of irony, compounded by the loss of a comma after the word "Ironically."

by Anonymousreply 3203/22/2013

[quote]Ironically this isn't an example of irony.

The how is your comment an example?

by Anonymousreply 3303/22/2013

It depends on your career.

I know many successful dentists who have fairly poor grammar and lousy spelling skills.

by Anonymousreply 3403/22/2013

R27 is great! Bravo!

A tactful way of making a point.

by Anonymousreply 3503/22/2013

That's probably true r34. Luckily if you have a skilled, professional career you can get away with it. The normal workaday people can't afford that luxury though and if it comes down to the grammatically correct applicant and the one who is lax about it, I'm sure the grammar troll would win.

by Anonymousreply 3603/22/2013

I don't mind it when people point out mistakes. If I haven't picked it up on my own by this point, I'm not going to. I'm grateful to the grammar trolls because the only way I'll learn that I'm making a mistake is if someone tells me.

by Anonymousreply 3703/22/2013

Grammar matters.

by Anonymousreply 3803/22/2013

The importance of the Oxford comma:

by Anonymousreply 3903/22/2013

Educated people use correct grammar. If you have no problem with being perceived as uneducated you have nothing to be concerned about.

by Anonymousreply 4003/22/2013

White people love rules. It explains why so they get upset when people cut in line, why they tip so religiously and why they become lawyers. But without a doubt, the rule system that white people love the most is grammar. It is in their blood not only to use perfect grammar but also to spend significant portions of time pointing out the errors of others.

When asking someone about their biggest annoyances in life, you might expect responses like “hunger,” “being poor,” or “getting shot.” If you ask a white person, the most common response will likely be “people who use ‘their’ when they mean ‘there.’ Maybe comma splices, I’m not sure but it’s definitely one of the two.”

If you wish to gain the respect of a white person, it’s probably a good idea that you find an obscure and debated grammar rule such as the “Oxford Comma” and take a firm stance on what you believe is correct. This is seen as more productive and forward thinking than simply stating your anger at the improper use of “it’s.

Another important thing to know is that when white people read magazines and books they are always looking for grammar and spelling mistakes. In fact, one of the greatest joys a white person can experience is to catch a grammar mistake in a major publication. Finding one allows a white person to believe that they are better than the writer and the publication since they would have caught the mistake. The more respected the publication, the greater the thrill. If a white person were to catch a mistake in The New Yorker, it would be a sufficient reason for a large party.

Though they reserve the harshest judgment for professional, do not assume that white people will cast a blind eye to your grammar mistakes in email and official documents. They will judge you and make a general assessment about your intelligence after the first infraction. Fortunately, this situation can be improved if you ask a white person to proof read your work before you send it out. “Hey Jill, I’m sorry to do this, but I have a business degree and I’m a terrible writer. Can you look this over for me?” This deft maneuver will allow the white person to feel as though their liberal arts degree has a purpose and allow you to do something more interesting.

Don’t worry, it is impossible for a white person to turn down the opportunity to proofread.

by Anonymousreply 4110/12/2014

Even people with poor grammar should be able to participated on DL.

by Anonymousreply 4210/12/2014

...though, if you can't write, and you need to for your job, it's going to negatively affect your earning power. I was never a good speller, until I started working and my boss would critique my spelling. Then I learned. I kept a dictionary on my desk for twenty-five years.

by Anonymousreply 4310/12/2014

I've had my grammar attacked on here, but I've never received lower than a 91 on an essay. Special recognition for my writing is what propelled me into my graduate program. My brain operates on two different planes...one where I give a shit and one where I don't.

For some people, it's really all they have. Any chance of an "in" and they take it. Meanwhile, they have NOTHING going on in life. It's really a shame.

by Anonymousreply 4410/12/2014

There are some posts that are so poorly written, that I can't figure-out what the poster intended to write. Often, I can sense the the writer is quite bright and has something worthwhile to read, so it can be frustrating if it actually either makes no sense, or can perhaps inadvertently have multiple meanings.

by Anonymousreply 4510/12/2014

Bad grammar, poor syntax and haphazard punctuation reduce the coherence and effectiveness of the text. Rather than encourage the reader's curiosity, it is far more likely to encourage a "ignorant fuckwit", "Delete" response.

by Anonymousreply 4610/12/2014

Grammar was a quality person, and Grammpar was as well.

by Anonymousreply 4710/13/2014

Good grammar can make some people almost white. Some white people talk as though they aren't white. It's all so confusuing to us blind people.

by Anonymousreply 4810/13/2014
Need more help? Click Here.