Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Does The Witch In "The Wizard of Oz" Throw The Hourglass Down And Break It?

I've never understood that, nor do I understand why the spell is broken once Dorothy gets out of the witch's room.

by Anonymousreply 5704/29/2015

Witchi-Poo had anger issues?

by Anonymousreply 103/22/2013

It's not a spell--she's planning to come back to the room after the hour is up to kill Dorothy.

Throwing the hourglass is just to be dramatic and inspire awe and terror.

btw, stop asking stupid questions about "The Wizard of oz." Two threads about it in as many days is one too many.

by Anonymousreply 203/22/2013

It was full of cocaine and she needed a bump...badly. You know how it is?

by Anonymousreply 303/22/2013

Um, she was mad???????

by Anonymousreply 403/22/2013

The Witch, like any fabulous bitch, knows that to make the point that you're angry you MUST smash something.

by Anonymousreply 503/22/2013

She was protesting the fact that John and Marlena were being kept apart by the evil Stefano.

by Anonymousreply 603/22/2013

She's green. Ethnic minorities are famous for their tempers.

by Anonymousreply 703/22/2013

The witch was pissed because Heath Ledger (that one of a kind talent who only comes along once a century) was unable to be in the picture because he would, unfortunately, not be born for another 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 803/22/2013

Because she wanted to make time fly.

by Anonymousreply 903/22/2013

Bad hair day… and she started her period.

Witch cramps are a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 1003/22/2013

It was an open secret that Margaret Hamilton hated Victor Fleming. That hour glass belonged to Victor (a family heirloom) and she threw it down during that scene (she was just supposed to shake violently it in Dorothy's face) after she had found out that her good friend George Cukor had been fired from "Gone With the Wind" and replaced by her nemesis Fleming.

by Anonymousreply 1203/22/2013

Dorothy was such a wuss. First of all, it's clear that the if the West Witch touches the shoes she's electrocuted. So why doesn't Dorothy just kick her? Or hop at her on one foot with the other foot like a battering ram.

And what about the lion, was he a "dandy lion" or what?

And what about the West Witch, was Dorothy ever tried for her murder and he sister's murder? OK maybe, just MAYBE it was an accident, but there should have been an inquest right?

And what about the lullaby league? What's up with that?

by Anonymousreply 1303/22/2013

You lie, r12.

by Anonymousreply 1403/22/2013

"THAT'S how much longer you've got to be ALIVE!"

by Anonymousreply 1503/22/2013

[quote] It's not a spell--she's planning to come back to the room after the hour is up to kill Dorothy.

This is the pre-cursor to Roger ebert's "talking killer"...."The villain wants to kill the hero. He has him cornered at gunpoint. All he has to do is pull the trigger. But he always talks first. He explains the hero's mistakes to him. Jeers. Laughs. And gives the hero time to think his way out of the situation, or be rescued by his buddy"

by Anonymousreply 1603/22/2013

That bitch Florida stole my routine.

by Anonymousreply 1703/22/2013

The hourglass is owned by Willard Carroll who has the ultimate "Oz" collection.

Here's a pic.

by Anonymousreply 1803/22/2013

Pretty cool R18!

by Anonymousreply 1903/22/2013

As a child, I couldn't understand why Dorothy didn't just turn the hourglass over once the WWW was out of the room.

by Anonymousreply 2003/22/2013

[quote]As a child, I couldn't understand why Dorothy didn't just turn the hourglass over once the WWW was out of the room.

Same here!

Wtf, bitch, just flip the damn thing!

by Anonymousreply 2103/22/2013

Superhero comics used to always have this situation. the villain would have Batman and Robin in a deathtrap, but wouldn't stay to see them die because he was off to steal Mrs. van Gottrocks' diamonds or loot the US Mint. of curse, Batman and Robin would not only escape, but would manage to foil the theft immediately thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 2203/22/2013

Why did the witch need to wait an hour then?

by Anonymousreply 2303/22/2013

I think that hourglass is a fake, r18. I doubt they had copies lying around. I'm not aware of this ever being up for auction. I know the other pieces that were. Replicas of the Oz hourglass are out there.

by Anonymousreply 2403/22/2013

The director/producer/writers struggled to show you could bend time and that you could travel through space and time to a completely different world. To make the audience abandon the preconceived notions they had about time they had the witch shatter the hourglass to subliminally free their minds therefore making the movie more engaging.

by Anonymousreply 2503/22/2013

r25, put down the pipe.

by Anonymousreply 2603/22/2013

Here R24.

by Anonymousreply 2703/22/2013

And a link to an article on Carroll who lives in Maine.

Last story.

by Anonymousreply 2803/22/2013

My siblings were 6 to 8 years older than me, so when I was little and prime age to be scared of the witch, they were at that pre-teen early teen smart ass age and always used to give commentary how Dorothy was not very bright and why not just to turn the hour glass over.

by Anonymousreply 2903/22/2013

I love findadeath.com but they've got some nasty adshit on that site.

by Anonymousreply 3003/22/2013

I feel so dumb. I always thought that after the sands ran through the hourglass, it was going to explode like a bomb, killing Dorothy. I never considered the With was just going to return. Oh, well...

by Anonymousreply 3103/22/2013

It was for dramatic effect...I remember getting scared when the witch threw it.

by Anonymousreply 3203/22/2013

Margaret Hamilton was upset because she just learned that in 74 years, a young woman named Mila Kunas would play the same role even though she can't act her way out of a paper bag. She just had a little on-set breakdown, and it looked cool on film so they kept it in the final print.

by Anonymousreply 3303/22/2013

The witch scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. So did the angry talking trees and those flying things.

by Anonymousreply 3403/22/2013

it's a shame Margaret Hamilton was blacklisted in the 50's.

by Anonymousreply 3503/22/2013

[quote]Why did the witch need to wait an hour then?

Union rules: an hour for lunch, called at the same time every day.

by Anonymousreply 3603/23/2013

The hourglass survived. It was used as a prop in the 7 Faces of Doctor Lao. You can spot the hourglass (and the crystal ball) in the hallway inside his tent. It's only visible for a second or two, but it's been confirmed that it's the same glass.

by Anonymousreply 3703/23/2013

[quote]Why did the witch need to wait an hour then?

Remember how the witch got zapped when she tried to remove the shoes by force? (I love how she brandishes her singed fingertips at Dorothy in her rage.)

Just before she leaves the room the witch says, "These things must be done delicately, or you hurt the spell." It's an evil spell and Dorothy has to be prepared like a lamb going to the slaughter. She has to be broken down some more before the witch can proceed with the shoe removal. That is why the witch messes with Dorothy's head by sending her a vision of Auntie Em in the crystal ball then appearing herself in the ball mocking Dorothy in her solitary terror.

by Anonymousreply 3803/23/2013

when I saw that scene as a kid it seamed to me that the witch was casting some spell, that the last sand falling into the lower half of the glass would some how 'trigger' Dorothy's desk.

I didn't view it as an egg timer.

by Anonymousreply 3903/23/2013

[quote]Just before she leaves the room the witch says, "These things must be done delicately, or you hurt the spell."

Personally, I think WWoftheW is grasping. She really doesn't have any idea about getting those shoes or how they work. Like a lot of sociopaths, there are huge gaps in her reasoning. It would have ended badly for her, bucket of water in the face or not.

by Anonymousreply 4003/23/2013

Well, the Witch threw the hourglass, knowing full well that it would burst into flame and scare the bejesus out of Dorothy and crew. She's a terrorist!

by Anonymousreply 4103/23/2013

A great book for any Oz fan is "The Making of the Wizard of Oz" published in November 1977. The author is Aljean Harmetz. Margaret Hamilton wrote the forward. It goes into much detail about the production. With so many crappy movies out today I'm glad people still want to discuss this classic.

by Anonymousreply 4203/23/2013

The film was the worst edited in the history of cinema.

by Anonymousreply 4403/23/2013

Breaking the hour glass defies gravity.

by Anonymousreply 4503/23/2013

Why was there a bucket of water hanging around? Since when do witches, especially ones who can be killed by water, care if their castle is clean?

by Anonymousreply 4603/23/2013

It's a metaphor, r46.

by Anonymousreply 4703/23/2013

"She really doesn't have any idea about getting those shoes or how they work."

When her sister was killed by the falling house, her legs shrivelled-up and the shoes became available.

Dorothy's death would be necessary.

by Anonymousreply 4803/23/2013

If the witch was such a coke fiend then she could have snorted a line all the way to the Emerald City after Glinda dumped the mother load all over those poppies.

by Anonymousreply 4904/19/2014

[quote[I feel so dumb. I always thought that after the sands ran through the hourglass, it was going to explode like a bomb, killing Dorothy. I never considered the With was just going to return. Oh, well...

I thought the exact same thing....basically up until I read this thread!

by Anonymousreply 5004/19/2014

I never thought about how exactly the sands running through the hour glass were going to result in Dorothy's death, but Maggie Hamilton sure sold that line -- like she did all the others!

by Anonymousreply 5104/19/2014

From what I read, the Witch was pissed off at Dorothy and wanted to scare her by throwing the hourglass.

by Anonymousreply 5204/19/2014

I saw a documentary on the making of TWoO recently. Look closely at what's in Miss Gultch's bicycle basket. It's an umbrella. Ahhhh, foreshadowing. My understand is that this is also in the book.

by Anonymousreply 5304/19/2014

I am unreading this thread immediately.

by Anonymousreply 5404/20/2014

{42} is correct--probably the best book on WOO

I had a copy and when we were cleaning out my aunt's huge old house full of stuff (I had a ton of books in her attic) we got rid of boxes of stuff--unfortunately my copy. That was a great book for any fan (or any guy interested in film)

by Anonymousreply 5504/20/2014

Yeah, it's a classic

by Anonymousreply 5604/29/2015

[quote]Why was there a bucket of water hanging around? Since when do witches, especially ones who can be killed by water, care if their castle is clean?

It was actually Dorothy's piss bucket. You'd pee a gallon too if a witch appeared in a crystal ball and mocked you derisively after threatening your life with an hourglass.

by Anonymousreply 5704/29/2015
Need more help? Click Here.