Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Report: SNL's Seth Meyers Eyed to Replace Tonight Show-Bound Jimmy Fallon

NBC’s alleged plan to dump Jay Leno and turn the Tonight Show reins over to Jimmy Fallon in 2014 creates a vacancy at 12:35 am — one that’s reportedly close to being filled.

Longtime Saturday Night Live headwriter and “Weekend Update” frontman Seth Meyers is the odds-on favorite to succeed Fallon as host of Late Night, according to the New York Post.

A source told the paper that SNL boss Lorne Michaels (who also produces Late Night) “wants Seth to take over from Fallon. It would be perfect for him.”

Although NBC has yet to officially confirm any changes to its late-night lineup, widespread reports claim Fallon has already received an offer to not only succeed Leno but to move the show back to the east coast.

by Anonymousreply 14201/25/2014

A white guy. How daring!

by Anonymousreply 103/22/2013

R1 My thoughts exactly. And an unfunny one at that.

by Anonymousreply 203/22/2013

Seth Meyers always looks like he's laughing at a joke he thinks only he gets.

His segments are never more than mildly funny and he lacks the name recognition needed to replace Fallon.

by Anonymousreply 303/22/2013

It's just the latest version of the white man shuffle.

by Anonymousreply 403/22/2013

They should make The Tonight Show 90 minutes again like it was for decades.

by Anonymousreply 503/22/2013

They should replace Jay with Amy Poehler.

by Anonymousreply 603/22/2013

[quote]and he lacks the name recognition needed to replace Fallon.

Yeah like Conan O'Brien who was much better known, when he took over from Letterperson.

by Anonymousreply 703/22/2013

I like Seth. I read they were giving this spot to Tina Fey. How about cohosts, Tina and Seth?

by Anonymousreply 803/22/2013

Just curious -- how many of you still watch late night talk shows? How often do you watch them - daily? once a week? once a month?

I would suggest they explore other formats of entertainment. But that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 1003/22/2013

Just another step in NBC's long march to oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 1103/22/2013

It would be an enormous step down for Tina Fey.

by Anonymousreply 1203/22/2013

I record Fallon. He tends to have pretty good musical acts and he is very engaging as a host.

by Anonymousreply 1303/22/2013

I thought they were going to give it to Justin Timberlake.

by Anonymousreply 1403/22/2013

Seth Meyers is not that funny...he just has a very tight relationship with Lorne Michaels...as does Jimmy Fallon...who I find insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 1503/22/2013

I long for the day when Lorne Michaels' baffling power and influence finally wanes.

by Anonymousreply 1603/22/2013

Seth Meyers on Weekend Update about Ann Romney turning down Dancing With The Stars: "She wasn't a good fit for the show, anyway, because I've heard of her."

by Anonymousreply 1703/22/2013

[quote]I read they were giving this spot to Tina Fey

Tina fey is a movie star now. She's not going to do late night five days a week.

by Anonymousreply 1803/22/2013

You know they don't do late night live, R18. Don't you?

by Anonymousreply 1903/22/2013

20 years ago Dana Carvey was the number one replacement for David Letterman on Late Night.

He said no, and Conan got the job instead.

by Anonymousreply 2003/22/2013

Anderson Cooper will be free from his daytime show. Why don't they consider him? He already has experience as a host, experience that Seth Meyers doesn't have.

by Anonymousreply 2103/22/2013

Aren't they going to have the same problem with Jay that they did last time.

They wanted to replace him, but didn't want to lose him. (ummm)

If they replace him and he's free to go to, oh I don't know, ABC...he could beat Jimmy in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 2203/22/2013

Didn't they shuffle the deck a few years ago? Wasn't in an epic and costly disaster?

by Anonymousreply 2303/22/2013

Didn't they shuffle the deck a few years ago? Wasn't in an epic and costly disaster?

by Anonymousreply 2403/22/2013

Not this guy and his turned down droopy eyes. Sigh. No Tina Fey or Amy. Joan Rivers if she's up for the task.

by Anonymousreply 2503/22/2013

[quote] Aren't they going to have the same problem with Jay that they did last time.

His negatives are higher than his positives.

They wouldn't shed a tear if he left today

by Anonymousreply 2603/22/2013

R21, do you really think the general population wants to look at AC's freak-albino-honking-big wide-nosed face?

by Anonymousreply 2703/22/2013

how about me?

by Anonymousreply 2803/22/2013

I'd love for Sarah Silverman to take that slot.

by Anonymousreply 2903/22/2013

R20 Talk about making that mistake of a lifetime!

by Anonymousreply 3003/22/2013

[quote]Anderson Cooper will be free from his daytime show. Why don't they consider him?

Oh, for fucks sake! Why is BLANDerson always mentioned as the suggested gay celeb for everything? He's not a comedian and you need to be funny to do a late night show. Plus he's already proven he doesn't know how to connect to an audience, hence is failed talk show.

by Anonymousreply 3103/22/2013

It makes no sense to replace Jay now. Whatever people think of his comedy, he is still the #1 host in late night. I can't see Jimmy Fallon getting higher ratings than him at 11:30. They went through all that drama with Conan O'Brien just four years ago for this?

by Anonymousreply 3203/22/2013

[quote]You know they don't do late night live, [R18]. Don't you?

He never said they did. He said she wouldn't want to do a late night show five *days* a week.

by Anonymousreply 3303/22/2013

Jay's slamming the NBC execs isn't the smartest move, but people need to have a thicker skin.

by Anonymousreply 3403/22/2013

Tina would be a plausible Tonight Show host, but I can't see her following Fallon. She's older than him, more famous than him, and smarter than him.

I'm surprised there isn't more speculation about a replacement for Letterman. The Hollywood Reporter today published an editorial urging CBS to hire Stephen Colbert.

by Anonymousreply 3503/22/2013

Why not Daniel Tosh, or someone who appeals to a younger audience? Or why not a woman?

This is just more of the same and will do nothing to get NBC out of its ratings rut.

by Anonymousreply 3603/22/2013

Joel McHale?

by Anonymousreply 3703/22/2013

Joel McHale would be the perfect choice. He does stand-up and could keep doing his Soup-type stuff; plus he's pop-culture knowledgeable and can really talk to people.

by Anonymousreply 3803/22/2013

Leno should have retired gracefully.

He should have went away and kept a low profile for a while like Carson did for Leno.

They should have stood by Conan and given him a fair chance without Leno's massive shadow.

I wouldn't trust a thing the network says and if I were Fallon and/or Meyers I'd make damn sure that it is explicitly stated in my contract that I get $$ if it falls apart. Conan made a lot of money off of NBC fucking him over.

by Anonymousreply 3903/22/2013

Lord, NOT Anderson Cooper please. As much as I like some things about him, he has proven that he is NOT witty, NOT funny and not really that charming. Nice enough but bland as can be. He has upped his image considerably since coming out but he is, if ANYTHING, a journalist and not an entertainer. He just doesn't have "it."

by Anonymousreply 4003/22/2013

Anderson only thrives with a partner. That's why he and Kathy Griffin work so well on NYE. He really should've replaced Regis.

by Anonymousreply 4103/22/2013

I'm not a big Leno fan BUT isn't he still number one? why screw around with that again? Then again sipposedly Fox wants Leno at 11pm. You heard pro-Conan boosters talk about the same thing but Conan wanted TBS. Then again if Letterman retires, Ferguson is not replacing him?I like Craig and Jeff they are quite the pair. CF doesn't pt you to sleep like Leno or Letterman does.

by Anonymousreply 4203/22/2013

In terms of Leno being number one, those ratings don't matter to the network.

It is the demo that counts. That is what advertisers are looking at.

Right now Kimmel is attracting the youth audience, and that is the audience advertisers court.

Leno skews older, and NBC needs to make changes for the long-term future of The Tonight Show.

by Anonymousreply 4303/22/2013

Why does NBC insist on always doing the white guy shuffle? God forbid they consider a woman or minority.

by Anonymousreply 4403/22/2013

[quote]Why does NBC insist on always doing the white guy shuffle? God forbid they consider a woman or minority

It is mostly white guys who wtch...so that is what the give them.

by Anonymousreply 4503/22/2013

Do young people watch late night shows anymore? I'm 30, and I quit watching late night talk shows about 10-12 years ago. I usually just used to have them on for background noise while finishing up homework. With Youtube and the internet, I'd be surprised if younger people still watch these shows.

by Anonymousreply 4603/22/2013

Have you watched Leno lately? He's a fat, old & unfunny fuck. 1 "joke" in his monologue and I change the channel.

How he behaved during the Conan fiasco was unforgiveable. I haven't watched him since. Conan was screwed over, which was a shame because I thought he returned the Tonight Show to its Carson-like integrity.

by Anonymousreply 4703/22/2013

I never watch these shows. If something funny or interesting happens the bit is always on Youtube or posted on some other blog the next day.

It seems like an outdated format but I guess there will always need to be talk shows so celebrities can hawk their latest project and I have no idea what other programming the networks would air in the time slot.

by Anonymousreply 4803/22/2013

[quote]Have you watched Leno lately? He's a fat, old & unfunny fuck.

Wow, you weren't joking - he really has gained a lot of weight and looks old now!

by Anonymousreply 4903/22/2013

I think people are being unfair to Jay Leno. His was the highest rated late night talk show and NBC fucked him over for the same reasons they are doing now. He WAS gracious and bowed out when NBC decided to hand over the Tonight show to Conan. It is not his fault that Conan was unable to connect with the Tonight audience. If Jimmy Fallon were smart he would stay right where he is. He gets paid a shit load of money. He already has an audience for his brand of comedy and the future of the network isn't riding on his shoulders. He also appears to have fun doing his show. Wait till they put the pressure on him when the ratings don't stay the same as they are now. Demo my ass. What are the brass at NBC going to do if he declines the Tonight show. Fire him? ABC would grab him in a minute as would FOX. It is obvious that the dicks in suits who run NBC don't actually watch television. Anyone of us could do better.

by Anonymousreply 5003/22/2013

ABC has Kimmell, they aren't going to hire Leno. And why in god's name would Fox want him? What is this urban legend that Leno is this in demand talk show host? If NBC lets him go, he's done.

by Anonymousreply 5103/22/2013

I only watch the late shows when there is nothing else on and I'm bored. I scroll down to see what guests and musical acts are on the different shows and pick the one that has at least one celebrity or musician that I like or at least am curious about. It certainly isn't must watch t.v.

by Anonymousreply 5203/22/2013

I rather like Seth Meyers but does Hollywood not know that there are actual black, Asian, Hispanic, gay, or female persons out there who could do a great job?

Will they ever choose a non-white & straight male for a late night show? (Yeah yeah Arsenio Hall... but how many decades ago was that?)

by Anonymousreply 5303/22/2013

Right on, R44.

by Anonymousreply 5403/22/2013

[quote]I rather like Seth Meyers but does Hollywood not know that there are actual black, Asian, Hispanic, gay, or female persons out there who could do a great job?

I agree, but they probably look at it like this:

George Lopez's late night show was a flop, so they probably figure nobody wants to watch a Hispanic late night host.

Joan Rivers late night show flopped, so they figure nobody wants a female late night host.

Magic Johnson's late night show was a flop, so they probably figure Arsenio was the only black guy that could do a late night show.

I know it seems silly considering all of the straight white men who've had late shows that flopped, but Hollywood seems to think that straight white men are the only people worth taking chances with.

by Anonymousreply 5503/22/2013

Give it to Arsenio.

by Anonymousreply 5603/22/2013

GOOD!

Now SNL can get a new head writer finally!

by Anonymousreply 5703/22/2013

[quote] If Jimmy Fallon were smart he would stay right where he is. He gets paid a shit load of money. He already has an audience for his brand of comedy and the future of the network isn't riding on his shoulders. He also appears to have fun doing his show. Wait till they put the pressure on him when the ratings don't stay the same as they are now.

Exactly. It's the same old pattern. The 12:30 hosts at NBC (Letterman in the '80s, then Conan, and now Jimmy Fallon) do quirky shows that appeal to a younger demographic. But instead of being satisfied with what they've got, they want to move to 11:30 and become "the next Johnny Carson." But it never works out that way. Jimmy Fallon will probably fail at 11:30 and become angry and bitter just like Dave and Conan.

by Anonymousreply 5803/22/2013

[quote]George Lopez's late night show was a flop, so they probably figure nobody wants to watch a Hispanic late night host.

But in fairness, they did boot George Lopez out of his prime late night spot on TBS to give it to Conan.

by Anonymousreply 5903/22/2013

[R56] I can't stand that silly queen

by Anonymousreply 6003/22/2013

Right, r59. And I though Lopez got decent numbers for his show in the eleven o'clock spot. It's that Conan wanted that time slot and Lopez wouldn't play ball. I thought it was ballsy of Lopez to refuse to play the game of being fucked over and then pretending that he liked it. Conan is every bit as ambitious as Leno. And he was willing to do whatever it took to get back on television. Phony asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6103/22/2013

[quote]Conan is every bit as ambitious as Leno.

Ambitious AKA Conniving

by Anonymousreply 6203/22/2013

I'd bet Fox demographics are largely older white males. Leno would be a perfect fit there.

by Anonymousreply 6303/22/2013

Fox the network is not Fox News. Fox is not an older skewing network.

by Anonymousreply 6403/22/2013

Seth seems really nice, but not particularly quick on his feet.

by Anonymousreply 6503/22/2013

He'll be on Fox when his contract expires and he'll be #1 there & he'll screw over Fallon on NBC which will be in freefall. They will have no #1 shows and will be losing tons of money.

Oh well, network execs seem not to watch the pablum they put out nor even the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 6603/22/2013

I haven't watched a nighttime talk show in its entirety in many years. Ratings on all the major networks have gone down in recent years with the rise of quality cable shows and online viewership. I can't imagine the ratings for these late night talk shows. They must have plummeted in the past 10 years.

Does the current ratings of "The Tonight Show" and "The Late Show" justify the extravagant salaries of Leno and Letterman? Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 6703/22/2013

Jimmy Fallon is doomed like Conan.

by Anonymousreply 6803/22/2013

R67 enjoys pulling shit out of her ass.

by Anonymousreply 6903/22/2013

r68 I agree with you.

‘TONIGHT’ ENCORES TOP BOTH ‘Late Show’ REBROADCASTS AND MOSTLY ORIGINAL ‘KIMMELS’ IN TOTAL VIEWERS FOR THE LATE-NIGHT WEEK OF MARCH 4-8 JIMMY FALLON ENCORES OUT-DELIVER ‘Nightline’ ORIGINALS IN THEIR HEAD-TO-HEAD HALF-HOUR BY 12 PERCENT IN 18-49 VIEWERS UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – March 14, 2013 – Encore telecasts of NBC’s “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” have finished #1 in total viewers versus CBS's rebroadcasts of "Late Show with David Letterman" and ABC's mostly original "Jimmy Kimmel Live" for the week of March 4-8. In adult 18-49 rating, the "Tonight" encores outscored "Late Show" and tied "Kimmel," while in viewers 18-49, "Tonight" finished within 4 percent of the mostly original "Kimmels."

At 12:35 a.m. ET, encores of "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" averaged a 0.4 rating in 18-49 and 1.3 million viewers overall and out-delivered ABC's original "Nightline" in their head-to-head half-hour from 12:30-1 a.m. ET in 18-49 viewers by a margin of 12 percent (517,000 adults 18-49 vs. 462,000).

At 11:35 p.m. ET, "Tonight" rebroadcasts averaged 829,000 adults 18-49 versus 805,000 for "Late Show" encores and 866,000 for mostly original "Kimmel" telecasts. Note that Friday’s “Kimmel” was a rebroadcast.

Jay has now delivered bigger 18-49 audiences than "Late Show" for the last 16 weeks in a row and topped "Kimmel" for seven of their nine head-to-head weeks. In total viewers, Jay has out-delivered "Late Show" for 20 weeks in a row and "Kimmel" for nine of nine weeks.

Jimmy Fallon has now generated bigger 18-49 audiences than "Late Late Show" for 21 of the last 22 weeks and prevailed in total viewers for 18 of the last 20 weeks. Versus "Nightline" in their head-to-head half-hour, Jimmy has out-delivered the ABC series for nine weeks in a row in viewers 18-49 and five of the last six weeks in total viewers.

by Anonymousreply 7003/22/2013

That was a pr news release from NBC and tvbythenumbers released it. They're trying to bolster Fallon but he will fail. And we all know this, we knew Conan would fail too.

by Anonymousreply 7103/22/2013

The one they should really be scared of is Arsenio. As everyone misjudged the power of people of color during the last election, the network execs probably don't think it exists late night either.

It does and some crafty guest booking might bring those young audiences right back to him.

by Anonymousreply 7203/22/2013

I really like (and agree with) r3's characterization of Meyers.

I think Marc Maron would be excellent as long as he couldn't do any standup... But his celeb interviews would actually be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 7403/22/2013

Jay rocks! It was NBC that was in fear of losing Conan in 2004 that they decided to announce they would give him the Tonight Show 5 years later in 2009. It was not Jay's fault that Conan failed in the ratings and NBC decided to give the show back to Jay.

by Anonymousreply 7503/22/2013

Seth's no-no smells like Tide, Jimmy's no-no smells like All Temperature Cheer...

by Anonymousreply 7603/22/2013

Seth is great on the five minute Weekend Update but he can't sing, can't act, can't play an instrument and can't dance. Does he even do stand up? Fallon does all of those things. Plus, he's got a goofy charm and looks like he genuinely likes his job. Maybe part of that is because he doesn't have to worry about ratings. That will all change if he goes to Tonight. Be careful what you ask for shold be written on Conan's tomb when he croaks.

by Anonymousreply 7703/22/2013

A lot of white men have flopped but no executive is going "no more white men."

I'm sure Joan is having a good laugh - if her laugh muscles can still move. They're doing the same shit they did years ago to her.

Late night is run by a bunch of whiny pussy bitches - with dicks (most likely small).

by Anonymousreply 7803/22/2013

[quote]I know it seems silly considering all of the straight white men who've had late shows that flopped, but Hollywood seems to think that straight white men are the only people worth taking chances with.

According to an article I read some years ago, all of these late-night shows (starting with SNL) are targeted to college frat boys, and since college frat boys are largely thought of as being white and straight, that is why these shows are always hosted by straight white males.

by Anonymousreply 7903/22/2013

Most of pop culture is geared toward straight white males.

by Anonymousreply 8003/22/2013

I thought this article was interesting. Even if Jay is first in the ratings, it's still peanuts compared to the number of people who see Fallon's and Kimmel's viral videos. Also, this nugget:

[quote]Bill McOwen, a senior media buyer at Palisades MediaGroup in Santa Monica, Calif., said marketers "love Fallon. They see him as intelligent, progressive and friendly." In contrast, he said he has had "numerous clients" take a pass on buying ads on "Leno." "Some marketers feel there is a lot of negative energy around the show," added Mr. McOwen.

by Anonymousreply 8103/22/2013

[quote][R72] what "power"? You're only 13% of the country's population. The networks are not scared of you, dear. Trust.

Are you saying that only black people watched Arsenio Hall or Obama?

[quote]Seth is great on the five minute Weekend Update but he can't sing, can't act, can't play an instrument and can't dance. Does he even do stand up?

Johnny Carson was the most successful talk-show host ever and he did none of those things. None of the things you listed ever made a successful talk-show host.

by Anonymousreply 8203/22/2013

I enjoy the changes and speculation/fights that come with them more than I do any of the shows!

by Anonymousreply 8303/22/2013

Barf, r82. What year is this? Do you think Seth Meyers is going to be a smash on late night television based solely on his charm? Fallon had to work hard to establish his audience and he did it by doing all the things I mentioned. Carson had comic timing that rivaled any comedian he had on the show. He also had the knack for never making his guests look bad. He was also quick witted and knew how to take a mildly amusing bit and turn it into comedy gold. No one is going to sit for an hour watching Seth Meyers if he does nothing other than ask about the latest product a celebrity is selling. He's going to have to WORK a lot harder than he does on SNL. And deliver it every night. Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 8403/22/2013

[quote]he can't sing, can't act, can't play an instrument and can't dance

I sang live in Les Miz and I dance, act, and love Deb.

by Anonymousreply 8503/22/2013

Put on a dress and the job is yours, Mate. Oh, wait. You're one of those heterosexual manly men. Never mind, Jacko.

by Anonymousreply 8603/22/2013

[quote] Carson had comic timing that rivaled any comedian he had on the show. He also had the knack for never making his guests look bad. He was also quick witted and knew how to take a mildly amusing bit and turn it into comedy gold. No one is going to sit for an hour watching Seth Meyers if he does nothing other than ask about the latest product a celebrity is selling. He's going to have to WORK a lot harder than he does on SNL. And deliver it every night. Fuck you.

And that's my point. None of the things you listed at r77 made Carson what he was. The things you listed above did. And if Seth Meyers can do that, he doesn't need to sing, dance, act or play an instrument. You made my point for me.

So fuck you you fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 8703/22/2013

I wonder what will become of Colbert (if he'll ever have a different show or just stick with what he 's got), Supposedly executives feel he is too closely thought of as his alter ego to do a different show.

by Anonymousreply 8803/22/2013

But he doesn't BlancheAKAr87. That was MY point, fucktoid.

by Anonymousreply 8903/23/2013

He doesn't have a talk show either, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 9003/23/2013

Let's meet back here in a year R72, dahling. Oh, and that figure you came up with is ridiculous to anyone who lives in a big city.

Fact is, Leno owns Middle America. For Fallon to succeed, he has to grab that audience. Leno goes to Fox and he takes that audience. If Arsenio grabs the urban audience that Fallon has partially attracted, he's in big trouble.

In the Carson documentary, the producers admitted that the only late night host that threatened them at all was Arsenio. He grabbed the ethnic audience, but also the young crowd. Don't think he can't do it again and since the pie is now much smaller, his chances for the win are now better as his target audience has also grown.

by Anonymousreply 9103/23/2013

The reason Conan failed was because NBC out that wretched Jay Leno on every sinle night as the lead-in to the news. People were dropping NBC like flies, the 11 pm news suffered, and Conan had no lead-in.

by Anonymousreply 9203/23/2013

[quote] The reason Conan failed was because NBC out that wretched Jay Leno on every sinle night as the lead-in to the news. People were dropping NBC like flies, the 11 pm news suffered, and Conan had no lead-in.

People were dropping NBC like flies long before NBC moved Leno to 10 pm. Leno actually did better at 10 pm than some of the shows that NBC airs in that time slot now. One of the reasons NBC moved Leno to 10 pm was that the network didn't have enough decent shows to fill their prime time schedule. You can't blame all of Conan's troubles on Leno.

by Anonymousreply 9303/23/2013

Arsenio? Bitch please..... canceled within a year.

by Anonymousreply 9403/23/2013

Sorry: I like white men.

by Anonymousreply 9503/23/2013

White men are the hottest.

by Anonymousreply 9603/23/2013

[quote]Fact is, Leno owns Middle America. For Fallon to succeed, he has to grab that audience. Leno goes to Fox and he takes that audience. If Arsenio grabs the urban audience that Fallon has partially attracted, he's in big trouble.

What would be interesting to see is, if your scenario (or something similar to it) actually comes to pass and Fallon bombs, what would NBC do? They could not afford to push him out a la Conan and risk another PR disaster trying to install a new host (and they couldn't go back to Leno again cuz he'd be over on Fox).

Expect NBC to spend a year's worth of network earnings promoting the shit out of Fallon to prevent this from happening.

by Anonymousreply 9703/23/2013

* TRYING to prevent this from happening.

(fixed that)

by Anonymousreply 9803/23/2013

Does anyone know why Arsenio was cancelled way back when in the FIRST place? I though he was the "new Carson" back then and his show was hugely popular. EVERYONE, including presidential candidate Bill Clinton went on the show. And then, poof, it was gone. I wonder if that cancellation and all the backstory would have some bearing on his chances for a reboot. I heard he pissed off "the Jewish mafia" or some such thing? Anyone know anything about it?

by Anonymousreply 9903/23/2013

Watched Fallon a couple of times because his band the Roots, is my favorite.

They deserve to be on a better show.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 10003/23/2013

[quote] Does anyone know why Arsenio was cancelled way back when in the FIRST place?

This article from 1994 from the New York Times says the ratings were declining. When David Letterman moved to 11:30 at CBS in 1993, setting up the Dave vs. Jay battle, that hurt Arsenio's ratings and stole some of his thunder. Also, I think Arsenio faced a huge backlash after he devoted almost an entire show to interviewing Louis Farrakhan.

by Anonymousreply 10103/23/2013

R94 also claimed OWN would be off the air in three months......last May.

by Anonymousreply 10203/23/2013

Frantic Fallon gets halfway through a statement and suddenly jumps to another topic. Somebody needs to force him to watch a playback.

by Anonymousreply 10303/23/2013

People still watch these shows?

by Anonymousreply 10403/23/2013

r91, the reason Arsenio was successful then is the reason he won't succeed now.

It wasn't about him, per se, but about coolness and youth. He was the only younger alternative, minority or not.

He brought a similar energy to Fallon.

I'd love to see a younger person from left field take over for Fallon and overhaul the format. I don't care whether or not they're a minority although that would be a nice change.

The little I've seen of Myers was not funny, but he also had no charisma at all. That's a death sentence for a late night host.

by Anonymousreply 10503/23/2013

Any DIRT on Fallon? I love him, but awfully curious about that marriage of his.

I think if he takes The Roots with him, he'll kill it Leno's time slot.

I haven't watched Leno in ages. He's too negative.

by Anonymousreply 10603/23/2013

According to the late, great real DL gossip threads, Fallon is deeply closeted.

The wife is a beard, but they are apparently genuinely fond of each other.

by Anonymousreply 10703/23/2013

If Joe McHale can be more positive than he is on The Soup (too many cheap shots, fat jokes) he'd be good in Fallon's spot.

Kathy Griffin would be good, too, if she employed joke writers that were really funny.

by Anonymousreply 10803/23/2013

R107, it would not surprise me one bit if Fallon were deeply closeted. Not a snowball's chance in hell he'd get Leno's spot if he came out.

Sad.

Maybe when he's done hosting he can be himself.

I'm sure he and his wife are buddies, but I still find it sad he can't be out and happy.

by Anonymousreply 10903/23/2013

Jimmy has mommy issues. His wife is a barren ball buster who's more of a mentor than partner.

by Anonymousreply 11003/23/2013

Any details of encounters with Jimmy anyone remembers?

by Anonymousreply 11103/23/2013

Funny that Meyers is so uninteresting that he can't even command a thread in his name.

by Anonymousreply 11203/23/2013

‘Tonight Show’ to New York? Local Comics Applaud:

by Anonymousreply 11303/23/2013

They record the program at 7pm but I don't think Tina Fey would like to be trap into a daily grind. She has 2 small children and is very creative. I think screenwriting and producing her own flicks would be much more to her liking.

by Anonymousreply 11403/23/2013

I really like Seth Meyers on SNL, but I just don't see him as a talk show host.

Seth MacFarlane would be an interesting choice. Or John Stamos.

by Anonymousreply 11503/23/2013

Does Jimmy Fallon have tinymeat?

by Anonymousreply 11603/23/2013

Tinymeat?

www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20317646_20699992,00.html

by Anonymousreply 11703/23/2013

R107 I always wondered if he was actually gay. He's always pinged to me.

by Anonymousreply 11803/23/2013

I can't believe people are saying it should be a minority regardless of whether or not the person is funny. I guess we have to have affirmative action in every fucking thing.

by Anonymousreply 11903/23/2013

I love Tina Fey, but she wouldn't be a good fit for late-night shows. She's reserved, which can come across as a bit cold (and she really can be cold). Albeit, Letterman made a career of this, but I'm not sure a woman can get away with it.

Amy Poehler would be amazing, but the nightly show would be too limiting for her.

by Anonymousreply 12003/23/2013

You don't seem to mind it when TPTB trot out the next white guy up to bat. White men aren't the only ones that can host a damn late-nite talk show.

by Anonymousreply 12103/23/2013

[quote]I can't believe people are saying it should be a minority regardless of whether or not the person is funny. I guess we have to have affirmative action in every fucking thing.

Who said they should hire a minority regardless of whether or not they're funny? People said it would BE NICE if they had a minority, but nobody said that it didn't matter if they were funny or not.

Keep watching your unfunny old ass white guys like Leno and Letterman.

by Anonymousreply 12203/23/2013

R119, I'm sure you only had people of color in mind when you posted that rather angry-sounding statement, but you do realize a "minority" could also mean an openly-gay white guy? I'm sure you wouldn't mind affirmative action in a case like that, now would you?

by Anonymousreply 12303/23/2013

Is Amy Poehler free? (Is Parks and Rec renewed for next year?)

Maybe a Seth and Amy duo show. Really? Really!

by Anonymousreply 12403/23/2013

What is the evidence that Jimmy is gay?

by Anonymousreply 12503/23/2013

OH LORD...r125 is the "what is the evidence" troll.

by Anonymousreply 12603/23/2013

r122 Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 12703/23/2013

Um, no. I'm not a troll and I've never asked that before. I'm genuinely curious what people are basing their opinions on, because he's never pinged to me. I'm not asking for photographic proof or anything.

by Anonymousreply 12803/24/2013

canceled...he has no star power

by Anonymousreply 12903/24/2013

There were lots of gay rumors about Fallon back in his SNL days...supposed sightings of him with guys around the city etc.

He didn't help matters by marrying an older industry connected fat woman. (sort of like Hugh and Deb)

by Anonymousreply 13003/24/2013

He may very well be gay, but I wouldn't compare his wife to Deb. She's not a supermodel, but she's cute and not that much older (and didn't look fat in the pics I saw of her). They do seem to genuinely like each other, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 13103/24/2013

[quote]They do seem to genuinely like each other, regardless.

How can you tell?

picture of the great big fat girl

by Anonymousreply 13203/24/2013

I think she's quite pretty in R132's picture. Doesn't mean their marriage is real (who the heck knows) but she definitely ain't a bad-looking woman.

by Anonymousreply 13303/24/2013

Tonight Show?

Two words: Jon Stewart

by Anonymousreply 13403/24/2013

[quote]Two words: Jon Stewart

Two more words: Hell no.

Can we get some people that are actually under 40?

by Anonymousreply 13503/24/2013

What r133 said.

by Anonymousreply 13603/24/2013

Justin Timberlake. He's young, cool, talented, handsome, he can do sketch comedy, knows tons o' famous people.

He'd be the best bet.

by Anonymousreply 13703/24/2013

So a Queer can be attracted to Bears but a straight guy can't be attracted to a full figure girl?

by Anonymousreply 13803/24/2013

Is she carrying a firearm in that photo? She has a holster

by Anonymousreply 13903/24/2013

Has Horatio Sanz been on Fallon's show? They were inseparable in their SNL days, but Sanz appears to have fallen off the face of the earth. Maybe he's just not funny now that he's thin.

by Anonymousreply 14003/24/2013

I love Seth Meyers on Weekend Update, and think he a cute little hottie. However, as a head writer of SNL he SUCKS. Also, has anyone else noticed that he's been HIGH the last few Weekend Updates? His eyes are bloodshot and glazed, and he seems to be just getting through it.

by Anonymousreply 14103/24/2013

Seen him in Jerry Seinfeld's "Car" show? Acts surprisingly gay, especially with the hands:

by Anonymousreply 14201/25/2014
Need more help? Click Here.