Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did any of you fail as an actor?

Did you try and quit? Was it hard to get a regular job afterwards?

by Anonymousreply 1603/22/2013

Yes. It was my starter marriage. After 2 years of premature ejaculation, I could no longer "perform".

by Anonymousreply 103/22/2013

You cannot "fail" if you are a true actor/artist. Once an artist, always an artist. If you are trying to define $$$ with art, you are lost right there. Making a "living" exclusively by acting is the purview of very few people. And does not mean they are the "most" talented. Fame is not the goal of an artist, either. You can "fail" at being a movie or TV star but never at being a true actor.

by Anonymousreply 203/22/2013

Has Glenn chimed in yet?

by Anonymousreply 303/22/2013

Yep, you either are an artist or you are not. There is no failure.

by Anonymousreply 403/22/2013

gee r2/r4 I learned something! i feel better!!!

by Anonymousreply 503/22/2013

I was one of those lucky few to gain worldwide success in the Arts.

by Anonymousreply 603/22/2013

R2 failed and now spends time perfecting his bitterness.

by Anonymousreply 703/22/2013

R2 is a pretentious twat.

by Anonymousreply 803/22/2013

R2 Is correct.

If you mean "failed" as in never became a big Hollywood or Broadway star, or never made millions of dollars, then you obviously wanted to be an actor for all the wrong reasons. A true actor acts because they enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 903/22/2013

Isn't part of the success being able to make a living soley off your artistry?

by Anonymousreply 1003/22/2013

R10 Making a living from artistry is just a bonus. If you really love and enjoy something, you'll do it regardless.

by Anonymousreply 1103/22/2013

r10, very few artists of any kind are able to live solely off their art. Even if they don't have to wait tables or sell real estate between jobs they usually have to teach to make ends meet. Unless, of course, they have a trust fund or an understanding spouse who pays all the bills.

by Anonymousreply 1203/22/2013

But most actors reduced to one-line guest spots on TV shows, low quality soaps and commercials wouldn't be doing much "real acting".

by Anonymousreply 1303/22/2013

Yes. I moved to LA, did some work, got a card, got a day job and decided that I didn't move to LA to starve in the gutters of Hollywood and moved back.

It was exciting, it was educational, it was spiritually rewarding but the best part about it is that it WAS.

Moved back, found a job in the old career, got a master's degree, been promoted three times in 4 years, six raises later I am doing work just as creative and emotionally rewarding.

Bought the ticket, spun the wheel and took my chance.

It's called life.

by Anonymousreply 1403/22/2013

R2 & R9 are unsuccessful actors.Kellan Lutz

by Anonymousreply 1503/22/2013

OP, Everyone has a different definition of "failure," and the amount of money one needs to be happy. Personally I think that you should look at acting as a hobby that pays, but generally takes a great amount of time and energy, but is more enjoyable to some than the expensive past time of golf. Sure everyone will constantly ask you, "Well, what have you done?" Does being able to answer that question make you a better actor?

OP, Have you looked into using your acting abilities in a traditional career, to give yourself a break from the inevitable constant disappointment?

by Anonymousreply 1603/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!