Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Classic Movies That You Would Like to See Remade

For the sake of argument, we all know and understand that nothing will be better than the original. So let's not get bogged down in that argument. Just tell us the movie that you would like to see remade and perhaps who would you cast in the lead roles.

by Anonymousreply 12405/27/2013

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and this time let's not pussyfoot around the romance with Brick.

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2013

Let's get it out of the way: "Who's Afraid Of Baby Jane", starring Madonna and Courtney Love (per the MTV ad from aeons ago).

by Anonymousreply 203/21/2013

HUD with Ryan Gosling.

by Anonymousreply 303/21/2013

Ah, I second R1 .

And, I'll add Lawrence of Arabia, because they can't really remake it.

The Birds could be improved though.

And I always thought that a Gay version of My Man Godfrey (meaning the love interests are two men) would be fun.

by Anonymousreply 403/21/2013

Days of Wine and Roses, starring Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2013

Good classic movies should never be remade. However, for the sake of the thread, I'll nominate Sunset Boulevard, remade with Sharon Stone and Ryan Gosling. (Sharon Stone, by the way, is 4 years older than Gloria Swanson was when she made Sunset Boulevard.)

by Anonymousreply 603/21/2013

"September Affair" but this time as a gay romance: married American Bradley Cooper falls for Aussie Chris Hemsworth while traveling in Italy; when they're presumed dead in a plane crash, they take the opportunity to make a new life together; but Cooper's frau-ish wife (Melissa McCarthy) shows up to destroy the fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 703/21/2013

Les Miserables

by Anonymousreply 803/21/2013

Rebel Without A Cause, starring Justin Beiber

by Anonymousreply 903/21/2013

R6, in spite of you first sentence. When would you set the Sunset remake? In the present day or back when the original was made?

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2013

r10, I'd set it in 1950 so that Sharon and Ryan could wear period costumes.

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

How could you set Sunset Boulevard in present day? You'd either have to make Norma Desmond one of the Living Dead, or she would have to be a washed-up sitcom actress.

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

All About Eve - Jennifer Lawrence and Meryl Streep

Sunset Boulevard - Meryl Streep and Hugh Jackman

The French Lieutenant's Woman - Jessica Chastain and Michael Fassbender

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

Tilda Swinton is apparently going to play Auntie Mame in a remake.

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013

'Naked Prey', a 1960's Cornel Wilde film.'Sands of the Kalihari', a 1960's Stuart Whitman film.

by Anonymousreply 1503/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

"The Lion In Winter", with Daniel Day-Lewis and Helen Mirren.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

I want to continue with the Billy Wilder theme. The Apartment, with Marc Ruffalo and Emma Stone.

by Anonymousreply 1803/21/2013

A STAR IS BORN with Beyonce and Jay-Z.

by Anonymousreply 1903/21/2013

Breakfast At Tiffany's reuniting Ellen Page and Michael Cera.

by Anonymousreply 2003/21/2013

R13, that's pretty good casting although I don't think Streep would be right for Sunset Blvd.

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2013

The Odd Couple with Meryl Streep and Jane Fonda.

by Anonymousreply 2203/21/2013

Dodsworth with Eric and Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 2303/21/2013

The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone. But change it to Mr. Stone. Cast Kevin Spacey in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 2403/21/2013

Tell Me That You Love Me Junie Moon with Angelina Jolie and Ben Affleck.

by Anonymousreply 2503/21/2013

Death In Venice with David Bowie?

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2013

Giant with the Twilight cast.

by Anonymousreply 2703/21/2013

Butterfield 8 with Gabourey Sidibe.

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2013

Summer of '42 with Jennifer Lawrence and Joel Courtney (from Super 8).

by Anonymousreply 2903/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 3003/21/2013

American Gigolo with Jonah Hill.

by Anonymousreply 3103/21/2013

Mogambo with George Clooney, Angelina Jolie and Reese Witherspoon.

by Anonymousreply 3203/21/2013

Colour Purple with an all white cast

by Anonymousreply 3303/21/2013

Mother May I Sleep With Danger

by Anonymousreply 3403/21/2013

Doctor Zhivago - they could actually film it in Russia

Yuri - Logan Lerman

Lara - Jennifer Lawrence

Tonya - Emma Watson

Komarovsky - Christoph Waltz

by Anonymousreply 3503/21/2013

The Wiz with an all white cast.

by Anonymousreply 3603/21/2013

[quote]"Who's Afraid Of Baby Jane"

You're an idiot, R2. No one could be better than Bette Davis as Jane and Elizabeth Taylor as her harridan of wife Martha. Love that first line "What a dump!" by Martha which both pays tribute and somewhat mocks Bette.

by Anonymousreply 3703/21/2013

For The Boys starring Kevin Spacey.

by Anonymousreply 3803/21/2013

All About Summer's Eve starring Cheryl

by Anonymousreply 3903/21/2013

'Streetcar Named Desire'

Stanley - Ryan Gosling. He would make a way better brute than the sophisticate of Sunset Boulevard. Doesn't matter that he is thin, he has the physical presence and inarticulate menace.

Blanche Dubois - don't laugh but I think that Charlize Theron could pull it off. She is a bit tall, but the right age and she is so talented.

(Stanley should be younger than Blanche, no?)

Stella - Michelle Williams, back with Ryan and the right kind of plain pretty younger sister opposite Charlize.

Mitch - Jude Law - make Mitch into a small piece of milque toast, which is what he his.

They are all talented enough to do the word/poetry justice, and the original film is kind of flawed though I can't say why....

I am not sure about Theron, I think Natalie Portman could play Blanche, but she is too young.

by Anonymousreply 4003/21/2013

Mahogany starring Tilda Swinton.

by Anonymousreply 4103/21/2013

Mugsy's Girls with Betty White in the Ruth Gordon role and Kelly Clarkson in the Laura Branigan part.

by Anonymousreply 4203/21/2013

[quote]"Who's Afraid Of Baby Jane"

I'd prefer to see "What Ever Happened to Virginia Woolf."

by Anonymousreply 4303/21/2013

I would pay for some of these. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner with Meryl Streep, Steve Martin, Sandra Bullock, and Kerry Washington as the girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 4403/21/2013

Let's leave classic movies to continue to shine on their own and rework some of the musical disasters that should have been classics - Mame, Dolly. and Camelot.

by Anonymousreply 4503/21/2013

R40, you're right, a "Streetcar" remake would be nice. I always thought they should've made one after Katrina as a tribute to New Orleans.

Agree 100% with Ryan Gosling

Charlize is too powerful looking to play Blanche, I nominate Marion Cotillard if she could pull off the accent. Maybe Kate Winslet?

by Anonymousreply 4603/21/2013

I'd cast Mariah Carey instead of Kerry Washington, r44.

by Anonymousreply 4703/21/2013

[quote]Let's leave classic movies to continue to shine on their own and rework some of the musical disasters that should have been classics - Mame, Dolly. and Camelot.

OK, can I nominate South Pacific? Turn down the technicolor a few notches to start . . .

And I'm not a huge fan of Brigadoon, but it deserves to be re-made on location instead of on a soundstage with paper mache rocks and painted backgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 4803/21/2013

South Pacific could be redone without any new filming. Technology can rework the bizarro colors in the sky and pull back on other colors a bit. They could also use technology to give Mitzi Gaynor's voice a little more oomph. I saw her in her one-woman show about a dozen years ago and her voice was so much better than when she was in SP. Too bad they didn't re-record her at that time.

by Anonymousreply 4903/21/2013

Kramer vs. Kramer with Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner.

by Anonymousreply 5003/21/2013

r49 - can they morph Doris Day in?

by Anonymousreply 5103/21/2013

"Guess Who's Coming for Dinner" was remade in as "Guess Who" in 2005 with the races reversed I believe. Starred Ashton Kutcher and Bernie Mac.

"South Pacific" was remade for TV in 2001 with Glenn Close and Harry Connick, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 5203/22/2013

I knew that I had it wrong with Theron. Marion Cotillard would be perfect if she can master even a Cajun southern accent.

I am not really a fan of classics remade, but I don't think that Streetcar is a classic movie.

Vivien Leigh is still kind of mesmerizing and steely and dirty and on the edge, even with a bad wig, we can revision it to that maybe Blanche wore a wig. Brando and the rest were on STAGE and a bad set.

Your idea of making New Orleans more real and less exotic than the original would update it instantly because it is not such a foreign place in people's minds anymore.

Some think it is impossible to do anything remotely real on film with the poetic language of Tennessee Williams. I don't think so.

You can't fuck with the words, but even Night of the Iguana made for a pretty earthy movie.

I think you are right that Winslet could do this very well. It is a great role and she is always on the ground and can freak the heights.

I would want her thinner, just for this part, and for my idea of Gosling, Williams, and Jude Law in our film, Ha.

There are much worse ideas.....

by Anonymousreply 5303/22/2013

My Fair Lady.

by Anonymousreply 5403/22/2013

Though generally I don't like the idea of re-makes, I gotta admit I would have loved to see how good/bad the remake of "Mrs. Miniver" was with Maureen O'Hara in the Greer Garson role and Juliet Mills in the role played by Teresa Wright.

by Anonymousreply 5503/22/2013

"Rebecca" starring Jon Hamm and Carey Mulligan in the lead roles, and Tilda Swinton as Mrs. Danvers.

by Anonymousreply 5603/22/2013

LOGAN'S RUN. The original is one of my favorite movies; however, I'd like a remake that's much closer to the novel -- including making the 21 the age one dies, resulting in a world run by children and teens.

WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. The original is another favorite movie; however, modern filmaking could make such a good remake. (I pretend that Tim Burton's awful version didn't happen.)

by Anonymousreply 5703/22/2013

r27, r28, r30 WW. You're killing me, you're goddamn killing me..

by Anonymousreply 5803/22/2013

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf.

Can be done better and less ponderous. Sandy Dennis and Richard Burton can't be beat, but the movie could be more alive.

It would only be a small Indie release now, but Blue Valentine was loved by me and my friends. It has little to do with my topic, but ya know. I digress.

I am not Mike Nichols biggest fan, he is very good with actors but doesn't seem to care about the viewers.

Do it again.

My Fair Lady could be a so much better film. The story is still good with a grand arc, but the lyrics of those great songs are hard to work with. It is too bad, but they could put a spin on it, can't change those spectacular melodies but they could give it a visual fuck.

Not only in the last scene but much of the story could be tweaked. Baz Lurhman, the guy who did Moulin Rouge could do something unique with the storytelling and keep the glorious music. There is a reason this musical is not often revived and it would be a fun challenge.

No, just no, to Anne Hathaway as Eliza. I have a better idea....

by Anonymousreply 5903/22/2013

"The Seven Year Itch" With Emma Stone & Either Jon Cryer or Ben Stiller. The twist with this remake? Don't update it to now!! Keep the 1950's/60 look and vibe but up the humor with more raunch comedy, and A little drama? Something sophisticated! Like having Tom Ewell's Character having the mentality of a modern man from today (2013), except he just so happens to be living in the 1950s. A script/story that not only plays off of the "Seven Year Itch" superstition from the original flick but makes a social commentary as to how adultry and married life were viewed back then in those days. People commit adultry these days without bating and eye lash. To see a husband struggle emotionally, while being so scared but yet so tempted to cheat on his wife could be funny. Showing how hard sexual attraction and chemistry can conflict a monogamous man. It would also finally be a good reason for Emma to go Blonde again. Her body could capture Marilyn's sexy Style and Swagger, While her comedic timing and doe eyes could pull off the traditional dumb blonde role.

by Anonymousreply 6003/22/2013

[quote]American Gigolo with Jonah Hill

No, Justin Bieber.

by Anonymousreply 6103/22/2013

Boys in the Band updated without all that era's hang ups. Starring Bradley Cooper, Hugh Jackman, Neil Patrick Harris, Henry Cavill, Clooney, and all the other DL faves.

by Anonymousreply 6203/22/2013

"All About Eve - Jennifer Lawrence and Meryl Streep"

So 60 is the new 40 and 22 is the new 28?

by Anonymousreply 6303/22/2013

with Toni Collette, Rachel Weisz or Kristen Johnston as Vera, Melissa McCarthy as Gooch, and Hugh Jackman as Beau

and, OP, this is one case where it certainly couldn't be worse than the original!

by Anonymousreply 6403/22/2013

[quote]For the sake of argument, we all know and understand that nothing will be better than the original.

A pointless remake is a bad remake. They're a many movies that have a good basic concept but flawed execution. Some of remakes have been better than the original, or at least offered a different take. Evergreen stories make the best remakes.

The problem if Hollywood were to remake classic movies today would be the actors. Few modern actors can compare to the stars of the Golden Era.

No one in this thread who's attempted humor has been funny.

by Anonymousreply 6503/22/2013

THE WOMEN, only set it among a group of right-wing women (have them all be members of Concerned Women of America, and one of them is the wife of a conservative family values politician) and have the Crystal character be a sluttly Ann Coulter type screwing the politician.

Claire Booth Luce was a right-winger, so this would turn the material on its head, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 6603/22/2013

I love whomever suggested "Rain"

Lindsay Lohan should be Sadie Thompson. She was a whore to begin with, so this will work out well for her.

by Anonymousreply 6703/22/2013

[quote]"South Pacific" was remade for TV in 2001 with Glenn Close and Harry Connick, Jr.

The scenery was spectacular. Shirtless Harry was gorgeous, too. Glenn was about 20 years too old.

by Anonymousreply 6803/22/2013

Please let's not talk about TV movies, only real movies.

by Anonymousreply 6903/22/2013

Another vote for "South Pacific," as well as one for "Paint Your Wagon." I don't know who could fill the lead roles (but just about anyone nominated has got to be better than the leads in the original films) so I leave that to the DL experts.

by Anonymousreply 7003/22/2013

Mitzi Gaynor was perfectly cast in "South Pacific" and not "just about anyone" would be better than her as Glenn Close proves.

Mitzi was the only good thing about that awful adaptation. No one else would've been better.

by Anonymousreply 7103/22/2013

The Incredible Shrinking Man!Directed by David Cronenberg and starring maybe Edward Norton or Kevin Bacon or Eric Bana.Isn't that a no-brainer?What's keeping you Mr.Cronenberg?Also,maybe the femal version of The Odd Couple with Bette Midler and Meryl Streep or Glenn Close.Of course I don't think Odd Couple is tha that old.

by Anonymousreply 7203/22/2013

Gore Vidal's "The Best Man"

This movie was so much better than the original "The Manchurian Candidate" and I think the script would hold up so much better than "The Manchurian Candidate" did for the modern era too. Caught it on Netflix streaming a while back (I check back often to see if it's returned but alas it hasn't) and found it very relevant to today's political scene with the rise of the Tea Party similar to the anti-communism fervor of the past and also the gay rumors used to tarnish a candidate which people are able to be more overt about today.

by Anonymousreply 7303/22/2013

I'd remake many '80s movies as I think they could be vastly improved. Good stories, but way too much dialogue that is unreal/silly.

by Anonymousreply 7403/22/2013

What about a remake of George Orwell's "1984"?

by Anonymousreply 7503/22/2013

Hmm ... I like the All About Eve with Meryl and Jennifer ... there is not a lot of female talent in their 40's, but maybe that's my bias. Nicole has disappointed me with her film choices ... so dour.

What about something with Meryl and Benedict Cumberbatch ... Suddenly Last Summer with the two of them and Jessica Chastain? It would be watchable.

by Anonymousreply 7603/22/2013

Who's Afraid of Vernon Woolf? with Nathan Lane and Spacey as a gay couple.

by Anonymousreply 7703/23/2013

Any musical...with an all-straight cast.

by Anonymousreply 7803/23/2013

R77, hysterical. Would see.

by Anonymousreply 7903/23/2013

R7, Rachel Weisv for wife. She can elevate it.

by Anonymousreply 8003/23/2013

R68 Watch "Paint Your Wagon."

by Anonymousreply 8103/23/2013

Would see the vanilla Wiz with Anna Kendrick, Justin Timberlake, gay guy from Girls, and Hugh Jackman.

by Anonymousreply 8203/23/2013

I want a remake of "Imitation of Life," but I can't come up with a cast, other than Octavia Spencer for Annie. Hmmmmm, upon further reflection I fear I may be typecasting Ms. Spencer. Feel free to suggest other actresses.

by Anonymousreply 8303/23/2013

R73 Jennifer Lopez = Lana; Demi Lovato = Sandra Dee; Rumor Willis = Susan Kohner (but really she is an ugly girl trying to pass a a pretty one)

by Anonymousreply 8403/23/2013

That's not bad at all, R73, and I would have never come up with that ensemble. Well done! But who's going to be Steve, the John Gavin role?

by Anonymousreply 8503/23/2013

[quote]The Wiz with an all white cast

New songs?

by Anonymousreply 8603/23/2013

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

Have not cast it yet.

by Anonymousreply 8703/23/2013

The story of All About Eve can't be updated. In the age of the internet how would Eve possibly get away with her crap?

by Anonymousreply 8803/23/2013

Gwyneth got away with it.

by Anonymousreply 8903/23/2013

R81 here. The reference should be to R78

by Anonymousreply 9003/23/2013

"To Catch A Thief" starring Matt Bomer.

by Anonymousreply 9103/23/2013

I want a modern version of "Ball of Fire": updated to have a gang-banger girl hiding out with a houseful of computer nerds. She could show them life beyond the monitor, and find love with the hottest one.

And all-male versions of "Sunset Boulevard" and "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone", possibly with Kevon Spacey as Norman Desmond and Kevin Stone.

by Anonymousreply 9203/23/2013

Suddenly, Last Summer

Catherine - Lindsay Lohan

Violet Venable - Nicole Kidman

Dr. Cukrowicz -Nick Jonas

by Anonymousreply 9303/23/2013

The Womyn

Cynthia Nixon ... Mary Haines

Rosie O'Donnell ... Sylvia

Portia diRossi ... Crystal Allen

Lily Tomlin ... The Countess Delave

Sara Gilbert ... Miriam Aarons

Amber Heard ... Peggy Day

Jane Lynch ... Lucy

by Anonymousreply 9403/23/2013

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie with Michelle Dockery.

by Anonymousreply 9503/24/2013

The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone with Meryl and Jean Desjardin

by Anonymousreply 9603/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 9703/24/2013

Romancing the Stone for Renee Zellweger and Manu Bennett... Or Gerard Butler

by Anonymousreply 9803/24/2013

How to Succeed in Business w/o Really Trying for Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel

by Anonymousreply 9903/24/2013

Fatal Attraction:

by Anonymousreply 10003/24/2013

Face Off with Sharon Stone and Meryl Streep.

Yes to Fatal Attraction. All male with Rob Pattinson, Henry Cavill, and Stepen Amell in the Anne Archer role.

by Anonymousreply 10103/24/2013

The Man From Planet X, reimagined by Quentin Tarantino. Starring James Franco and Jennifer Lawrence, with Alec Baldwin as the Professor and David Tennant as the evil Dr. Mears.

by Anonymousreply 10203/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 10303/24/2013

Perfect movie to remake. With Angelina Jolie maybe?

by Anonymousreply 10403/24/2013

Yes, R95 and R104! You both get an A+!

by Anonymousreply 10503/25/2013

R95, you need someone who can act.

by Anonymousreply 10603/25/2013

Lord Love a Duck

by Anonymousreply 10703/25/2013

"Harold and Maude" with Bette Midler and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

by Anonymousreply 10803/25/2013

Rocky Horror.

Amanda Seyfried as Janet, Zefron as Brad. Johhny Depp and Helena BC as the servants. Dunno bout Franknfurter. Russell Brand? Hugh Jackman?

by Anonymousreply 10903/25/2013

Pretty Boy, a gay version of Pretty Woman. Starring Henry Cavill as the hooker.

by Anonymousreply 11003/25/2013

Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mamma's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feeling So Sad.

by Anonymousreply 11103/26/2013

I think your's a splendid idea. I vote for Hugh Jackman, those legs in stockings and heels would be a fine sight and he would be a great Franknfurter.

Could we please leave Johnny Depp out? The rest of your casting is inspired.

Channing Tatum or Chord Overstreet for Rocky.

Hunky and dumb or pretty and dumb?

Who can play Nell?

by Anonymousreply 11203/26/2013

"Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?" with Helena Bonham Carter (Jane) and Nicole Kidman (Blanche).

by Anonymousreply 11303/26/2013

Nah, a modern-day remake of "Baby Jane", where Jane is a former TV star rather than a vaudeville star, and she's botoxed and surgeried until she's more grotesque than Bette Davis ever was!

Nicole Kidman as Jane, and Naomi Watts as Blanche.

by Anonymousreply 11403/26/2013

[quote]Nah, a modern-day remake of "Baby Jane", where Jane is a former TV star rather than a vaudeville star, and she's botoxed and surgeried until she's more grotesque than Bette Davis ever was!

Madonna as Jane!!

by Anonymousreply 11503/26/2013

There was a contemporary remake of "Baby Jane" starring Vanessa and Linda Redgrave in 1991.

by Anonymousreply 11603/26/2013

Hathaway for Columbia!

No seriously, Zooey? Katy P? Gaga's first feature performance???

by Anonymousreply 11703/26/2013

I vote Katy P. She is pixillated.

Zooey would make a not bad Janet, but wide eyes cannot disguise her baritone.

You are onto something and will be robbed of concept and casting credit.

Gaga could have a very special appearance with a bad romance remix.

by Anonymousreply 11803/26/2013

Timberlake could put a new twist on Eddie, and change the song can be updated.

Taylor Lautner would make a hot Rocky.

Jackman on Lautner on Zefron action!

by Anonymousreply 11903/26/2013

Peyton Place. I just watched the original again and it's a great 50s soap. But it really didn't stick too close to the novel as it had to be sanitized.

Maybe a not-so-great book benefited from being sanitized but it might be fun to see what they could do with it.

by Anonymousreply 12005/12/2013

The Lady Eve with Steve Carrell and...and...Amy Poehler or Tina Fey.

by Anonymousreply 12105/12/2013

I try to never miss a "Linda Redgrave" movie.

by Anonymousreply 12205/26/2013

I'd like to see Gus Van Sant redo the Breakfast Club

by Anonymousreply 12305/26/2013

Desperately Seeking Susan

by Anonymousreply 12405/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!