Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the reason behind Britney Spear's success?

She's just like every other singer-no particular talent in either singing or dancing and yet she has achieved what millions of singers have dreamed of achieving-mega success. What makes her so successful? Luck, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 9803/24/2013

industry promo

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2013

Lots of guys wanted to sleep with her and lots of girls wanted to emulate her.

by Anonymousreply 203/21/2013

Was a New Mouseketeer, had a good work ethic early on, and had a pushy stage mother.

by Anonymousreply 303/21/2013

Dumb fucking luck. Happens all the time.

by Anonymousreply 403/21/2013

Catchy tunes.

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2013

OP, I've been trying to figure this out for years and the only thing I can come up with is that we live in a society that likes dumb people who aren't going challenge them. She's dumb as a box of rocks and just keeps her mouth shut and smiles. Today's society doesn't like smart or outspoken celebs that will challenge them or make them think.

by Anonymousreply 603/21/2013

Guys, look no further than the Witches in Hollywood thread..

by Anonymousreply 703/21/2013

It's luck and timing and lots of hardwork. She started when boy bands were huge - nsync and back street boys. There were no young female artist like her at the time and she was the first of many to follow. She came across as the lil' sis act to these other artists. So she captured the pop world's imagination. Here you have this 15 yo white girl wearing pigtails singing a song originally written for TLC with this huge boy and sound. It blew people away. And we got to watch her grow and implode and survive, coming through with hundreds of millions in the bank - everything America loves in a story.

by Anonymousreply 803/21/2013

Britney came out in the late 90s, the need was there, so she succeeded, that's it plain and simple.

Grunge was long dead, the music industry needed a new pop act. And along came a young, white, blonde, Cha-Ching!

by Anonymousreply 903/21/2013

[quote]Britney came out in the late 90s, the need was there, so she succeeded, that's it plain and simple.

But why is she still around? That's the question. Especially with the overload of younger female pop stars now.

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2013

Britney is this generation's MJ. A pop act with obvious mental troubles, talent long gone, yet still beloved by some

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

Marketing and luck.

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

But - her newer songs are still more catchy , appealing and hip than Pink's or Christina Appelgate's...??? So maybe she does have an ear for pop tunes that some of her other contemporaries that have faded over time...

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

Hollywood Illumnati witches!!

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013

I think it's a combo of things. She grew up in that MM club while America was watching. She had the right looks - pretty but not threateningly so to girls and obviously appealing to boys. She had some good hits. Lots of promo. There was also the pedo component originally which was always creepy to me but it made her appealing to more adult men.

by Anonymousreply 1503/21/2013

Everybody she works with mentions her ability to pick catchy tunes. She's recorded hundreds of songs yet has an ear for what will blow up musically a year from now. Blackout is the perfect example. It influenced pop music years later and she recorded and picked her songs during the midst of a complete breakdown.

She has a mediocre but recognizable voice and sound that appeals to club goers and pop fans.

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

One word: titillation.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

Britney was ultra-sexy when she first came onto the scene and many of her songs were sexy.

Plus she had ultr-sexy dance moves.

Any success thru the years was built upon that initial ultra-sexy persona, ultra-sexy dance moves, and sexy songs with rhymic sexual beats and sexy music videos.

by Anonymousreply 1803/21/2013

JT's super sperm.

by Anonymousreply 1903/21/2013

She really was sexy and compelling. She just had the indefinable IT quality that made people pay attention. It also helped that she came out at the perfect time with the whole pop explosion, boy bands, TRL thing. She was a really good dancer and performer, even if she couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. Her first few MTV performances made her iconic. And she had A LOT of catchy songs.

Her main competitors couldn't match her in sexiness or catchy hits. Christina tried, boy did she ever, but Christina was never and will never be sexy. She just didn't have IT.

Then she went insane, the crazy marriages, shaving her head, being institutionalized. Jesus, you couldn't make that shit up! And the world couldn't look away.

And even after things have calmed down and she's drugged to the gills...well at least she still makes enjoyable music.

by Anonymousreply 2003/21/2013

In summary so far: mediocre sexy victim with an ear for catchy songs to sing and move to.

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2013

R16, you don't seriously believe she had anything to do with choosing which songs she recorded and released, do you?

by Anonymousreply 2203/21/2013

thats funny, R20, because I never recall her being compelling, just grating. it seemed like some machine kept spitting her out at me, though i had no interest. perhaps others did. . .

by Anonymousreply 2303/21/2013

Two things:

this

and

by Anonymousreply 2403/21/2013

this

by Anonymousreply 2503/21/2013

those were never great songs, but they were seemingly popular

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2013

People forget how attractive she was when she was younger...her body was amazing and she was probably the best technical dancer since Madonna. She's lost all her moves and looks but her voice still sounds good when heavily processed (a sound she favors and encourages her producers to push to the limit) and she's still very good at maintaining an ear for what's "hot" and making sure she has the best writers working for her (while letting them take full credit for their work, not stealing writing credit like Beyoncé). Thus, all the hottest songwriters/producers are always desperate to work with her and will save their best work.

by Anonymousreply 2703/21/2013

Britney was essentially a giant fuck you to the Lilith Fair era girls who dominated the mid 90's. Real singers and songwriters with something to say. The Spice Girls had also hit big, but at least they never proclaimed themselves to be great talents.

Britney was the perfect celebrity for the George W. Bush years, when being dumb seemed to be something that you wore like a badge of honor. See Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, etc. The era of the bimbo as Rupaul once declared.

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2013

Of course Britney chooses the songs and gave them her spin, R22.

Crap voice but the vocal inflections make the song.

Notice how all the other poptarts had their expiration date. The difference is the songs chosen by Brit. Her producers work with everyone but while others fail, Britney survives and has hits.

by Anonymousreply 2903/21/2013

There was amazing talent in the 90's, Nirvana, Faith No More, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sound Garden, Alice In Chains, Jeff Buckley etc....but they did not make the big big money for the labels because they were independent & not controlled by the labels. Then Most of these bands & singers died, became junkies or broke up, and a gap happened that was filled quickly with talent the labels did control, such as boy bands, & The Spice Girls, and then Spears, all of which were very heavily marketed because they could make the big bosses serious money, because they would control the "talent" 100%. Her first video was on CONSTANT rotation on MTV, and she was promoted like mad & before you knew it, the young teens, who the marketers knew were like sheep ate it up, and then she became super famous based on very little talent. Now no new talent is "discovered", there is only mass marketed, barely talented, controlled "stars".

by Anonymousreply 3003/21/2013

R30 see R9

by Anonymousreply 3103/21/2013

She dressed as a sexy 16 year old school girl in her first music video wearing a school girl uniform.....

little very short plaid pleated skirt, knee socks, a white blouse tied up above waist to show stomach, pigtails with ribbons on them -

and then did a sexy dance wearing the school girl outfit.

Many sexual fantasies involving Britney were born right then.

I also remember her music video involving lots of snakes and Britney wearing a skin-tight body suit and swiveling sexually to a jungle beat.

by Anonymousreply 3203/21/2013

Britney had an incredible body in her heyday.

An A++++++++ body.

by Anonymousreply 3303/21/2013

She was a product of the Disney pre-teen machine, then marketed as a teenage Lolita who could dance and pose like a tigress. She became a carefully conceived brand. Then mental illness set in and the bottom fell out of it all, but the brand was still making good money so the industry and her family kept nursing her along to make more money. As long as the brand sells, and it still does, they will continue to push her out on stage. When she does turn her back on her career, the tabloids will continue to hound her because she is a train wreck in slow motion and they won't want to miss the final act. What 30 year old woman needs her parents permission to spend her own money?

by Anonymousreply 3403/21/2013

It's hard to believe this Britney Spear's ever existed...

by Anonymousreply 3503/21/2013

I must say it will be interesting to see what her next album sounds like. I want to see if she still has the best of the best now that Rihanna has been crowned the new queen of pop and releases hit albums every six months or so.

I love later Britney's sound, but RiRi is hard to beat.

by Anonymousreply 3603/21/2013

Because, as we were told on Vanderpump Rules, Britney looks like a blond Scheana. And Scheana is "way better" than Britney according to her producer.

by Anonymousreply 3703/21/2013

The same reason that Crocs, the home shopping networks, faux wood paneling, Snuggies and George W. Bush were each very successful. The United States of America is heavily (probably mostly) populated by fat, lazy, ignorant people who have either no taste or have very poor taste. It is a country of stupid people who like stupid tacky things. You can literally sell dog shit to these people if you package and market it correctly. Britney Spears is not a talented singer. Nor is she a talented dancer. Michael Jackson was a talented dancer. Chris Brown (whom I really hate)is a talented dancer. Britney Spears, no mam she is not. Not now. Not in 1999. Not ever. If she was; she would still be a great dancer. The talent wouldn't just evaporate. Lastly, since when did anybody consider Madonna a talented dancer. I must have missed that phase.

by Anonymousreply 3803/21/2013

R38 Who do you think is talented?

by Anonymousreply 3903/21/2013

I find her bland and programmed. I've heard her sing but couldn't tell you the name of any of her songs. I think she's the luckiest woman alive. Barely a lick of talent as far as I can see or hear.

by Anonymousreply 4003/21/2013

She was sort of a jailbait MK Ultra stripper for stupid people.

by Anonymousreply 4103/21/2013

The reason is Britney Spears' ability to use correct punctuation.

by Anonymousreply 4203/21/2013

*Spears's

by Anonymousreply 4303/21/2013

If you believe the rumors, she is on a mood stabilizer; Seraquel or something similar. Trust me when I tell you that those drugs make you a living zombie, that is why she's lost her ability to dance. Moving is an effort.

by Anonymousreply 4403/21/2013

Adding to what R9 said, she had a very strong lead single right out the gate crafted by one of the top songwriters in the industry. Baby One More Time wasn't some super high pitched peppy production heavy pop-jam, but originally written for contralto TBoz of TLC. Add to that an iconic video (school girl outfit) that kids went crazy over, and viola, superstar. Beyond her first album her career continued largely due to PR sprinkled with a few genuinely interesting hits (Slave 4U and Toxic come to mind) but Blackout is what solidified her spot in pop history. Too bad she was too unwell to promote it.

by Anonymousreply 4503/21/2013

She is a brand created by Disney - like Justin Timberlake.

The same marketing that makes children go wild for Toy Story 7 gives you Britney.

Each song follows a specific formula; driving beat, easy chorus, predictable chord progressions, saturated market play, and planned obsolescence by the next release.

by Anonymousreply 4603/21/2013

Vegas act disguised as rock and roll.

by Anonymousreply 4703/21/2013

Nothing beats, "It's Britney Bitch" intro and the pared down beats of Gimme More.

Baby One More Time Slave 4 U and Gimme More are POP Classics

Unusual You Trouble Trip to Your Heart Heave on Earth are hidden Gems

by Anonymousreply 4803/21/2013

It's too bad Britney was too "unwell" during Blackout to promote it. Gimme More, Piece of Me and Break The Ice were great singles that would have done even better if Britney didn't have all the drama, albeit self-created, around her.

by Anonymousreply 4903/22/2013

Everyone who lampoons her for having a shitty singing voice should read this article. I'm not some gushing fan girl rushing to her defense (although the author is, admittedly), but the article makes a lot of good points. Her singing voice isn't what most people think it is. It's a highly calculated act.

by Anonymousreply 5003/22/2013

Magic pussy.

by Anonymousreply 5103/22/2013

I would stop attributing much of B.S. success to her. It's parents, handlers, songwriters, musicians- the whole posse. I imagine she just gets made-up and comes out and says "Where do I stand?".

Her voice is an irritating buzz in the ear with little range or interest. Her parents just noticed her ability to dance around the house and pimped out her Little Schoolgirl look way back when.

As for why she's still around I'm not sure. Nostalgia? The voracious gossip rags that must tail anyone with even a whiff of fame, in case they run to Starbucks and/or get into a fender bender?

by Anonymousreply 5203/22/2013

Look at the cover of her first record. That explains it all

by Anonymousreply 5303/22/2013

[quote]If you believe the rumors, she is on a mood stabilizer; Seraquel or something similar. Trust me when I tell you that those drugs make you a living zombie, that is why she's lost her ability to dance. Moving is an effort.

Most people are fine if they take Seroquel or other mood-stabilizers at night. If must be tough for her to stay at the weight she's at on that kind of medication. She's an inspiration to us all.

by Anonymousreply 5403/22/2013

She's not talented, can't sing great, is kinda dumb, a mess, not always attractive, quite trashy.

And yet I just like her. There's something approachable and real about Britney the person, even if the act is marketed. And she has great choice of material relative to her talent and unreal staying power. Would anyone have expected her to still be on top and Christina the has-been?

Can't wait for her to see off Gaga, too.

by Anonymousreply 5503/22/2013

[quote]Would anyone have expected her to still be on top and Christina the has-been?

Christina's not a good singer, doesn't dance, now a jolly woman and a major cunt.

I like Britney. She may be talentless but she seems nice.

by Anonymousreply 5603/22/2013

I worked at Target when 'Baby One More Time' came out. We had the video playing on a loop in the electronics department. I will never forget seeing groups of grown men clustering around the tv wall staring at Brit dancing in her schoolgirl uniform.

That said, she had an effortless sexuality and innocence about her. She also OWNED the stage - 'im a Slave' MTV performance. Classic.

by Anonymousreply 5703/22/2013

So R55 just proved R6 right - our society prefers talentless, dumb, stupid people who won't challenge you and will just smile like a moron and agree with everything you say.

Someone like John Lennon, Tracy Chapman, or Phil Collins who all hat lyrics that made you think and told stories with their songs would never make it in today's music scene because we live in a world that doesn't want to think and doesn't care about talent. People can't get any deeper than a song about sex, bragging about money, or going to the club.

by Anonymousreply 5803/22/2013

Before I get an "Oh, dear", I meant "had" instead of "hat".

by Anonymousreply 5903/22/2013

I'm sorry r58, did you say Phil Collins?

by Anonymousreply 6003/22/2013

Tracy Chapman???

by Anonymousreply 6203/22/2013

That is exactly what I like, R58.

Someone unassuming and down-to-earth like Spears.

by Anonymousreply 6303/22/2013

Didn't her mother fuck K-Fed to break Britney's spirit?

by Anonymousreply 6403/22/2013

She was an effortless coquette at age 16 - confident dancing paired with shy glances at the camera. Absolute catnip to straight men.

John Waters once said white trash is incredibly sexy until age 21, then falls apart. Case in point.

by Anonymousreply 6503/22/2013

What R2 said. Of course that doesn't hold true today (she's practically a nostalgia act now), but it explains her initial rise to celebrity status. She's not a good singer, that's true, but she had a string of catchy hits for several years that solidified her pop culture legacy. Add to that her train wreck of a personal life and you have the classic ingredients for lasting celebrityhood in America. It's equal parts sex appeal, commercial success and notoriety, a formula that explains probably 99% of celebrities from the last 20 years.

Is this really so hard to figure out? I'm not even a fan of hers, but her popularity is hardly that baffling.

by Anonymousreply 6603/22/2013

Christina Aguilera has an amazing voice. You may not like how she uses it now but when she started out she had good control and beautiful tone. Her early stuff was equal to the fluff Brit put out.

But then Xtina got Irving Azoff for a manager and she insisted on making all musical decisions for herself. Since her Christmas album she has not had anyone guiding her musical choices and now she has tanked her career.

by Anonymousreply 6703/22/2013

She started out as a cute but sexy underage teen, so she got all the teens and tweens of both sexes interested, and then on top of that a huge fanbase of adult male pervs. Recipe for success.

by Anonymousreply 6803/22/2013

[quote]Christina Aguilera has an amazing voice. You may not like how she uses it now

Her style of singing is awful. She is the worst singer I've ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 6903/22/2013

Remember when Britney and Christina performed Like a Virgin with Madonna and they both kissed her? Everybody focused on the Brit-Madonna kiss and absolutely NOBODY paid any attention to the Christina-Madonna kiss that happened seconds later. That's Christina's career in a nut shell.

by Anonymousreply 7003/22/2013

Christina being the poor man's Britney is the very definition of "the poor man's..."

by Anonymousreply 7103/22/2013

Christina horribly over-sings, but then her idol is Mariah, so over-singing is inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 7203/23/2013

I have photographs of Britney that I took back in the 80s when she was about 4 years old, 2' tall, all spangled up in glittery gold lame and singing at grocery store and department store openings in Louisiana. She sang at the opening of Catfish Town in Baton Rouge and was quite a firecracker back then with lungs like Ethel Merman.

I don't know what happened to her. She was better back THEN than she is now.

by Anonymousreply 7303/23/2013

When she first came on the scene in the late nineties, she sometimes sang live and her voice sounded decent.

by Anonymousreply 7403/23/2013

She was a product of the 2000s: corporate creation. Teen pop was all the rage. You had the Backstreet Boys, Nsync, 98 Degrees, etc. It was the corniest time in music history, a time when conservatism was the mainstream. Britney was a virgin and shit. She really was the death of music.

by Anonymousreply 7503/23/2013

She played the Lolita. The end.

by Anonymousreply 7603/23/2013

[quote]When she first came on the scene in the late nineties, she sometimes sang live and her voice sounded decent.

No, britbot. All she ever could do was that cheerleader dance shit.

by Anonymousreply 7703/23/2013

The first few posters answered the question, which reduces to timing.

To be fair, she was quite talented at dance performance when she was young, through her MMC years. Her pop voice got fairly good on the show, but it was very short-lived, because she had to fake it something awful and probably screwed up any chance she had at actual vocal training.

But the most mind-blowing case of timing goes to MaryKate and Ashley Olsen. They became billionaires with, in retrospect, ZERO talent. Now the pool is too huge. No two small child actors will follow suit anytime soon, if ever.

by Anonymousreply 7803/23/2013

Success? I wonder more about her basic existence period.

by Anonymousreply 7903/23/2013

Max Martin

by Anonymousreply 8003/23/2013

R78 is right. Britney's success isn't surprising and can easily be explained. The Olsen Twins on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 8103/23/2013

Um, OP? Her last name is Spears, not Spear, so the apostrophe goes after the "s".

by Anonymousreply 8203/23/2013

She's successful because white trash and stupid gays buy her shit, even though she does nothing for gays.

Gay people would rather support some talentless whore like her than support an actual gay artist with talent.

by Anonymousreply 8303/23/2013

She is a product of MK Ultra.

by Anonymousreply 8403/23/2013

R61 When Britney writes and sings a song like "Another Day In Paradise" or "No Son of Mine" and can play the drums on stage, get back to me.

R62 When Britney writes and sings a song like "Fast Car" or "Talkin' 'Bout a Revolution" and can play guitar on stage, get back to me.

by Anonymousreply 8503/23/2013

Spear Britney!

by Anonymousreply 8603/23/2013

Britney:

by Anonymousreply 8703/23/2013

R85 we're talking about Pop Stars. If you really wanted to go down that line of thought, you might as well continue on and say Tracy Chapman pails in comparison to Mozart.

by Anonymousreply 8803/23/2013

A lot of stupid people with no taste in music.

by Anonymousreply 8903/23/2013

R72

Correction. Christina used to cite Mariah as her idol. When Mariah called her out for whatever it was, Christina changed her bio to read that her musical idol was Etta James, ha.

by Anonymousreply 9003/23/2013

The Catholic school girl uniform!

by Anonymousreply 9103/23/2013

To say that Britney had nothing to do with her own success isn't exactly true or fair. She was after all the vessel. While you might say she can't sing, she can (could) sing well enough for what she was singing and no one can legitimately deny that she could dance.

Plus, apparently she wasn't as stupid as people thought. She's the one that chose that school girl outfit and staged her first photo shoot for Rolling Stone. She was at least smart enough to know (right or wrong) that sex sells.

by Anonymousreply 9203/23/2013

R75

Except that she came out in the late 90s and not in the 2000s.

Yes, Britney has had a career and been in our Pop Culture now for 15 fucking years.

by Anonymousreply 9303/23/2013

I attribute it to being around at the right during the pop era of music.

by Anonymousreply 9403/23/2013

r92, of course she does, she's a whore.

by Anonymousreply 9503/23/2013

R95

A very RICH whore.

by Anonymousreply 9603/23/2013

how can you deny this little powerhouse?

by Anonymousreply 9703/23/2013

Pubescent kids and horny men.

by Anonymousreply 9803/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.