Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama Does It Again – Speech Humanizes Palestinians To The Cheers Of Israelis

The president had a message to the Israelis and Palestinians but one that should resonate at home.

Excerpts from link:

“And let me say this as a politician. Political leaders will never take risks if the people do not push them to take some risks. You must create the change you want to see. Ordinary people can accomplish extraordinary things. I know this is possible.”

Americans should take heed. Inasmuch as there are problems in the Middle East those needs taking care of, the American wealth and income disparity could cause degeneration in our society that creates our own conflict, not between Israelis and Palestinians but between the haves and the have-nots.

by Anonymousreply 4003/22/2013

I actually watched CNN's coverage of the speech this afternoon and whoever put the events together was quite smart to have audiences of young people including members of the army. When Obama made some comment about stopping settlement expansion, the correspondent (sorry, can't remember her name) said that he got enthusiastic applause from soldiers. I found the report very interesting. Appealing to they younger demographic tired of having the country and their lives, even, dictated by right wing, Orthodox settlers.

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2013

Idiot at r2.

by Anonymousreply 303/21/2013

R2 = innumerate

you DO realize the difference between zero and forty? or one hundred?

by Anonymousreply 403/21/2013

Obama's all talk.

Always has been. Always will be.

Nice assist he gave Dianne Fienstein! NOT!!

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2013

[quote]When Obama made some comment about stopping settlement expansion, the correspondent (sorry, can't remember her name) said that he got enthusiastic applause from soldiers.

That must have been a carefully selected section of Israeli army. From what I can tell, the army is enforcing the building of illegal settlements.

by Anonymousreply 703/21/2013

So Primetime's off...

by Anonymousreply 803/21/2013

Obama loves to talk about "being pushed" to do things - but when liberals pushed HIM, the White House said it "irritated" him.

Obama's pretty speeches are nothing but hot air.

by Anonymousreply 903/21/2013

[quote] Political leaders will never take risks if the people do not push them to take some risks.

He is really talking about himself here, isn't he?

And, by the way, this is not even true.

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2013

So, you only want Obama fangirls to be able to post?

Sounds positively cliquish!

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

Free Republic must have become too dumbed down for some hence the exodus?

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

And you my dear... are a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

I address that "cunt" to R11.

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013

can we get back on topic?

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

There's no crying wolf when it's self-evident.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

cute... little boy throws cunt around like he's wielding a sword.

LMCO!

Want some milk and cookies, honey?

by Anonymousreply 1803/21/2013

[quote]From what I can tell, the army is enforcing the building of illegal settlements.

The Israeli government tells the Israeli Army what to do. Soldiers don't have any say.

by Anonymousreply 1903/21/2013

[quote]The Israeli government tells the Israeli Army what to do. Soldiers don't have any say.

Well, that is true. It is, also, true that Israeli soldiers are very trigger happy. It's all I'm sayin'...

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2013

How it must burn the freepers to see Obama doing so well!

by Anonymousreply 2203/21/2013

He was amazing in how he breaks free of the bullshit his distracters devour like oxygen.

by Anonymousreply 2503/21/2013

R24, if you're critical of Obama because he isn't progressive enough, that's one thing. If you're here as a rep for a party that has reverted so far back that even fire mystifies them, you're in no position to tell anyone to seek therapy.

There is nothing freakier these days than someone thinking they'll be taken seriously if they're speaking on behalf of the troglodytes in the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2013

Oh, and let me beat you to the punch: I don't worship Obama. No one has to worship Obama to know the Republicans have become a joke. Just an absolute embarrassment in every conceivable way.

by Anonymousreply 2703/21/2013

My pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2013

I hate Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 2903/21/2013

"Yea, he was beautiful, but he fucked like such a pig...and if you've seen one scene with him, you've seen them all. No real connection with his bottoms."

One can say that about a great many soldiers in any country on earth, including the U.S.

But just as there are a great many American soldiers who want to do what's right and oppose injustice, the same is true for a great many Israeli soldiers.

by Anonymousreply 3003/22/2013

Read it and weep, freeps.

by Anonymousreply 3103/22/2013

I am to the left of Obama on Israel and Palestine. I believe in a one state solution.

But I am very glad to see him audaciously presenting a reasonably argued progressive two state plan in Israel.

And I am very happy for this to be a chance for the world to perhaps stop equating the Israeli people with their government. The political ideology of a huge part of the Israeli people does not necessarily equate with their government's. Just like in the U.S. or anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 3203/22/2013

I resent Israel's problems being made into my problems. They don't produce and export high end goods so nobody needs them.

by Anonymousreply 3303/22/2013

Israel exports more than you think.

by Anonymousreply 3403/22/2013

[quote]I am to the left of Obama on Israel and Palestine. I believe in a one state solution.

That is not called "being to the left" of anyone. It's called being a dumb fuck.

by Anonymousreply 3503/22/2013

Why do people resort to name-calling whenever someone has an alternative opinion to something? It's a hallmark of not being informed, to skip over debating the issue or actually discussing it. Just make the discussion personal and make it so there's no beneficial conversation. Thread after thread, year after year. It's a fucking vacuum.

by Anonymousreply 3603/22/2013

It's what the politicians are doing, essentially, r36! I agree though, it gets tiring.

by Anonymousreply 3703/22/2013

Am I the only having a problem viewing the front page right now?

There is no threadlist.

by Anonymousreply 3803/22/2013

"That is not called "being to the left" of anyone. It's called being a dumb fuck."

Why? because I don't believe in state religions or ethnicities? Because I believe that differences between people based on religion and ethnicity are no reason to divide a nation or to treat people different in terms of national status? Because I believe it's akin to apartheid? Because I would oppose such a thing in my own country and don't approve of it in anyone else's?

That makes me a dumb fuck?

by Anonymousreply 3903/22/2013

That sounds wonderful, r39 and I could hear the choir from Beethoven's 9th symphony in my head while reading it.

But why start your project of abolishing nation-states with ethnic identities with the Jewish one? Did you know that Finland gives permanent residence to anyone with Finnish ancestry? They seem to think Finland belongs to the Finnish! And I bet they never even asked you what you think of this!

But you do have a point that this ethnic chauvinism is particularly galling in cases where it results in the division of a nation. I still mourn the fact that Milosevic didn't manage to prevent the Bosniaks from dividing Yugoslavia and creating their own ethnic domains. Maybe after you've delivered Finland from Finnish supremacism, you could try to persuade Bosnia, Crioatia, Slovenia et al to overcome their petty ethnic chauvinism and reunite with Serbia?

And when that's done, your next task will be to reunite India and Pakistan. 60 years after they were created in a bloody division along religious lines, surely they should now be mature enough to realize that this apartheid-like system simply has no future?

I wish you good luck in all these endeavors.

(Oh, and regarding the "to treat people different in terms of national status is akin to apartheid" thing, I'll let you know that Israell is pretty much the only country in the Middle East where everyone has equal civil rights, regardless of religion, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation.)

by Anonymousreply 4003/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!