Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's so great about drinking?

Alcohol smells so bad, why do so many people love this? Maybe everyone is different but I absolutely hate alcohol-all forms of it. It tastes real bad and plus you say things you regret later on when drunk. This most likely will get me into trouble later down the road when I'd have to drink it on business trips...I'll just pretend to drink it when in company...

Oh and what does a hangover feel like?

by Anonymousreply 3103/24/2013

When did 11 year olds start posting on Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2013

This thread = EPIC FAIL

by Anonymousreply 203/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 303/23/2013

People have been drinking alcohol since the dawn of time. Hell, even ANIMALS drink alcohol that naturally fermented in the wild to relax and enjoy themselves. If you drink responsibly (like everyone should) you will not act crazy or say anything you will regret later on. Don't feel pressured to drink if you are at a business thing and don't want to drink...people won't care and if they do, it's their problem, not yours.

by Anonymousreply 403/23/2013

Brain vacation..... And a delightful one!

by Anonymousreply 503/23/2013

If you really think you have to drink on business, and not being an 11 year old troll, then you are too immature to be in the business world let alone drink. I have not had any alcohol in 30 years, by choice, and not because I have ever had a problem. I am in a profession that traditionally has had a lot of heavy drinkers. No one has ever tried to force me to drink or held my non-drinking against me, as far as I know.

by Anonymousreply 603/23/2013

OP stop littering the board with dumb question threads. Why don't we meet up for coffees and creme brulee? Hit some cruising spots?

by Anonymousreply 703/23/2013

Within the bubbles lies a release,

a vacation from life's disease

So clink, drink, pour and pass,

let us have another glass

by Anonymousreply 803/23/2013

I hate wine.. can't stand the smell of it, and beer tastes like piss. But I'm ok with alcoholic soda and alcoholic cider.. plus the usual drinks. But yeah.. considering beer and wine is what people drink, I often feel awkward at parties etc, sigh.

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2013

[quote]Maybe everyone is different

by Anonymousreply 1003/23/2013

r4 and r6 are right. Why do people act like they live in an afterschool special where they will be ridiculed if they don't drink? I don't always drink when I am out and I doubt anyone cares. Unless you are a teen at a kegger and someone is trying to Steubenville you then this doesn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 1103/23/2013

I drink to make you more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1203/23/2013

Ordering a Perrier will make you seem far more interesting than anyone who orders an alcoholic drink. It implies an adventurous past where you drank too much.

by Anonymousreply 1303/23/2013

I had a meth addicted, HIV infected ex-high rent call boy who had destroyed his life and looks with his dissolute behavior tell me I was "stupid" after a mutual friend told him I didn't drink or take drugs.

Oh, the irony!

by Anonymousreply 1403/23/2013

OP, I agree 100%. Drink causes lots of problems. Right now, on the East Coast, am watching "20-20"; just did a segment on problems caused by drunk (before and during flight) passengers. I found myself wanting to scream at the screen:

Why don't airlines STOP serving booze?? Why????

by Anonymousreply 1503/23/2013

Damn but booze is delicious - good wine, craft beer, all kinds of single malt scotches, liqueurs, cocktails. Nothing like it. Sometimes I wish I didn't like it as much as I do like you teetotalers.

by Anonymousreply 1603/23/2013

I've never been drunk, but tipsy is really nice =D. I also hate alcohol tastes besides mixed spirits.

Coconut rum with sprite. *Homer Simpson drool*.

by Anonymousreply 1703/23/2013

I won't call you an 11 year old, OP, because I actually know a group of people like the ones I suspect you're talking about. They constantly try to peer pressure others into drinking despite the fact that they are adults in their mid- to late-20s. These coworkers go out to drink at 9 o'clock on a Thursday knowing that we all have to be at work at 8 am on Friday. A simple "No thanks, I can't make it," isn't enough; they want to know why, and what else you have to do that could possibly be more important than drinking. (You need a better excuse than "I have to work tomorrow," since they also have to work tomorrow.)

I don't care if they want to go get drunk on a weeknight. It's their inability to recognize that someone 15 years older than them (1) might not want to spend all night in a bar and (2) might not recover as well if they did.

I just ignore them because they're assholes (and, I suspect, alcoholics), but I know someone else in the office who is not as good at saying no and who also doesn't want to miss out on office-related discussions. So to everyone saying that kind of culture doesn't exist, in some places it does.

But they're the only one I've ever met like that. And I doubt they're going to get very far if they keep showing up to meetings hungover and with red eyes. Just keep your head down and do your work, OP. Once you get past a small group of idiots, no adult, and especially no professional, will judge you for not drinking.

by Anonymousreply 1803/23/2013

Nonconformist guys who have never taken part in alcohol or drug use and aren't smug, preachy assholes about it are the kind of guys I want to marry!

TOTAL turn on and for me FAR more interesting than those who need "enhancements" in order to be interesting,witty or socially adept.

by Anonymousreply 1903/23/2013

A famous whiskey speech, read by John Grisham.

Pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 2003/23/2013

OP, your body is your temple; don't abuse it with alcohol or drugs. You truly are not missing anything by not drinking;in actuality, you are doing yourself a favour. Spend your money on HEALTHY delicious drinks like fruit juice; beverages that don't kill your brain cells, damage your liver or age you. Drinkers are idiots and some are reckless murders.

by Anonymousreply 2103/23/2013

Sober Sammy = Buzzkill

by Anonymousreply 2203/23/2013

I do miss the buzz I'd get after three cocktails or a couple of big glasses of wine. But my doctor said I had to quit because of a heart condition. Every now and then I get the urge, but my health comes first.

by Anonymousreply 2303/23/2013

It relaksheshh you! Plushh, it'shh inekshhpenshhive!

by Anonymousreply 2403/23/2013

OP, I'm with you. I've been drunk twice. both times in college. In fact, the first time I think I might've blacked out. I've never liked the taste of it, but I did it because everyone else was!

Occasionally I might have a beer for the novelty of it, but I don't really find the buzz enjoyable. I do like a frozen margarita though. That does taste great.

Thankfully no one (even as a teen/young adult) has ever peer pressured me into drinking, but recently I went on a few dates, and in hindsight I think my dates might've thought I was an alcoholic and that's why I was abstaining from drinking and ordering a water only.

by Anonymousreply 2503/23/2013

The weight of medical evidence suggests drinking in moderation is healthier than abstaining (unless you have liver/medical problems aggravated by alcohol consumption, medication interactions, or a tendency for alcoholism, obviously).

by Anonymousreply 2603/23/2013

To each his own. Certain foods mix well with certain drinks, champagne and caviar, brats and beer, cognac and chocolate, etc. These are some of the pleasures in life. If you prefer any other of the many pleasures life has to offer be my guest.

by Anonymousreply 2703/24/2013

r26 = alcoholic trying to rationalize

by Anonymousreply 2803/24/2013

Plenty of people don't like it. You're not special.

As to what's so great about it, for those who do like it?

(1) It can taste really good

(2) it can be relaxing when done in moderation

(3) It can be a social lubricant, loosen people up. Though, it can obviously lead to bad things if too much (horrible hangovers, violence, bad hookups, DUI, etc.), but the loss of inhibition some people seem to enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 2903/24/2013

As far as I'm concerned, nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3003/24/2013

r30 I am in the same boat. I had been straight for awhile and drank tonight, I feel shitty and will probably feel shittier tomorrow, you had it right, I fucked up, don't be like me.

by Anonymousreply 3103/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!