Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What if Letterman retires?

Will Leno move to CBS?

by Anonymousreply 3803/21/2013

No he is too old

They would rather go with Drew Carey or Wayne Brady.

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2013

Hasn't the speculation been that when Letterman retires, CBS is going to go after Jon Stewart?

by Anonymousreply 203/21/2013

[quote]They would rather go with Drew Carey or Wayne Brady.

umm....no...I doubt that.

by Anonymousreply 303/21/2013

Letterman will be carried off kicking and screaming -- he won't retire.

by Anonymousreply 403/21/2013

Let me clarify. They would rather go to Carey or Brady as a last resort, before Leno

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2013

R4 his production company owns the show. Ownership was very important to him when he moved to CBS. Before when he was at NBC he only an employee.

But if he goes, he will take the show with him. The only thing he can't take is the time-period.

by Anonymousreply 603/21/2013

Letterman and Leno should both go away and retire. Neither are funny and they're both smug.

by Anonymousreply 703/21/2013

Maybe Conan would take over The Late Show.

by Anonymousreply 803/21/2013

Letterman's CBS show is painfully unfunny. His NBC show was brilliant, however.

by Anonymousreply 903/21/2013

R8 Conan needs to just stick to his stupid show he's got instead of trying to take over ANOTHER show.

If networks want to get a younger audience to watch these late night talk shows, then they need to get some younger hosts like Fallon. People are bored with all these old men like Letterman, Leno, Ferguson, and O'Brien.

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2013

I agree with both R9 and R10.

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

If networks want to get a younger audience to watch these late night talk shows, then they need to get some younger hosts like Fallon. People are bored with all these old men like Letterman, Leno, Ferguson, and O'Brien.

Sure would be nice if, for once, one of the networks would give a shot to a woman or a person of color to host a late-night show. Why not promote Arsenio from syndication to NBC? Or Anderson Cooper? Or Joy Behar? It should not be the exclusive domain of straight white men.

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

[quote] then they need to get some younger hosts like Fallon

That is why Leno is getting kicked to the curb. Because Kimmel is gobbling up the younger audience, NBC wants to fight fire with fire.

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

[quote]If networks want to get a younger audience to watch these late night talk shows, then they need to get some younger hosts like Fallon. People are bored with all these old men like Letterman, Leno, Ferguson, and O'Brien.

Sure would be nice if, for once, one of the networks would give a shot to a woman, person of color, or out gay person to host a late-night show. Why not promote Arsenio from syndication to NBC? Or Anderson Cooper? Or Joy Behar? It should not be the exclusive domain of straight white men.

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013

R14 Joy & Arsenio are too old and AC is a newsman

by Anonymousreply 1503/21/2013

You know Ryan Seacrest probably wants a job like that.

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

R14 I completely agree - why is it always unfunny straight white men? In Europe, there are several gay late night tv show hosts and they're way funnier than the old straight white men on American tv.

I disagree about Anderson Cooper though - I'm tired of him being the "go-to gay". He's already everywhere and no way does he have the sense of humor to do a late night show. It would be nice if they would give an unknown a chance and find some new talent.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

Letterman has already made it known he's out at 70. His son will be an active teen and he is very realistic about how much time he has left to be in his life. His contract takes him to that point.

I think John Stewart is a shoe in IF he wants to devote the amount of time the shift would require.

by Anonymousreply 1803/21/2013

Mario Cantone

by Anonymousreply 1903/21/2013

They should put Howard Stern on at 11:30. He would probably destroy the competition.

by Anonymousreply 2003/21/2013

That would be my dying wish!

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2013

R20 Again, we don't need anymore old white men. We need younger hosts.

[quote]Mario Cantone

No. Just no.

[quote]I think John Stewart is a shoe in IF he wants to devote the amount of time the shift would require.

No again.

by Anonymousreply 2203/21/2013

Honestly, out of all of them, Howard has always done the best interviews. I hope he gets a shot at late night.

by Anonymousreply 2303/21/2013

To R10 and R15:

True, and those were all just examples off the top of my head (which is why they weren't such great examples) but I think the question is still a valid one: it's time the networks thought beyond the straight white male as host of a late-night show on network television. Nothing against straight white males, it's just there seems to be a very closed-minded approach to this particular role in American culture.

There's a certain prestige to being host of a late-night show on one of the Big Four networks, so much so that it has become the last frontier of sorts for the non-straight white male in television. And after the success of people like Rosie and Arsenio in syndication in years past (not to mention Ellen and Steve Harvey now), I think it's time we see a different approach by the networks at night.

by Anonymousreply 2403/21/2013

Although he still takes tons of shit from fraus and fundies who haven't listened to him since the early 90's, Howard is considered one of the best interviewers in the business. Many journalists with blue chip credibility have said as much.

And lets be honest: he may be knocking on the door of 60, but he seems light years younger than Leno and Letterman.

For the record, I do not think John Stewart at 48 is too old. Leno was near that when he took over.

by Anonymousreply 2503/21/2013

Jon Stewart is too old to take over a show like Late Night. He's early fifties. They need someone in their 30's.

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2013

Who?

by Anonymousreply 2703/21/2013

I'd like to see Justin Timberlake take over Letterman's show. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2013

30's?? Ya kidding? That would be like appointing a Supreme Court Justice in his/her early 40's.

45-49 would be perfect. Remember, there are a whole lot of fly overs out there who find JL funny.

They would be completely tone deaf to someone like Tosh or Katt Williams.

by Anonymousreply 2903/21/2013

Btw, read today that Seth Meyers might be a contender to take over Jimmy Fallon's show once Fallon takes over for Leno.

Also, re Conan, this question came up the other day in Robert Bianco's TV chat in USA Today and he said he doubts Conan would be considered for a network slot again because they (the networks) feel he has already "had his shot" and have moved on from him, so TBS is likely where he'll stay.

by Anonymousreply 3003/21/2013

I like Conan on TBS.

by Anonymousreply 3103/21/2013

Conan is brilliant comedy.

by Anonymousreply 3203/21/2013

The thing that Fallon did that was so brilliant is to actually act like he likes his job! Just like Letterman's surly attitude was so refreshing when he came on the scene, so is Fallon's earnestness. Leno is running on fumes. Conan (who I like, btw) sort of copied Letterman's schtick with some added nerdiness, Ferguson also is too self-deprecating (and we get it...you're an alkie).

Kimmel and Fallon both seemed to love their jobs and that's why both are doing so well. Plus, Fallon is a great, great performer.

by Anonymousreply 3303/21/2013

Amy Poehler

by Anonymousreply 3403/21/2013

I don't watch TV. I have a fire place.

by Anonymousreply 3503/21/2013

If Letterman retires, then I think Ferguson will take that spot. I can't imagine David doing to Craig what NBC did to him when Carson retired. I love Craig Ferguson and I would be happy if he was on an hour earlier.

by Anonymousreply 3603/21/2013

The key to late night at 11:30 has always been 18-49. Following his AGT judge role,I think Howard has gained a broader base of people who like him. Yeah he is 59 but I he audience on Sirius is a mix of young and fiercely loyal long time listeners. I think he would translate all of that very easy into a huge win in late night. I still remember his channel 9 show. To this day the funniest thing I have ever seen - he was interviewing Richard Simmons who brought on people he helped lose weight..and as he in talking to them his is lowering down twinkies on fishing line in front of them. Some of the greatest stuff he has ever done was with Richard. I remember the e show where they butched him up and he made out with Sandra Bernhart.

by Anonymousreply 3703/21/2013

[quote]Just like Letterman's surly attitude was so refreshing when he came on the scene

I've watched Letterman since 1982 and will continue to do so till the day he retires; even though his act has weathered over the years, I will remain a dedicated fan to the end. I also love Fallon, think he's a genuinely good guy, and very happy for his success.

It's weird but as much as I like Conan, I've yet to watch his TBS show (mostly, I think, because I just tend to forget about him opposite Stewart, the 11 o'clock news, and reruns of SEINFELD). Never liked Leno but do think he's a good interviewer. And Kimmel is just meh to me and I don't really understand how he's gotten to where he is, but whatever.

R36, I like Craig Ferguson, too, but wonder if CBS would see him as being competitive against Fallon and Kimmel should they move him into Letterman's spot after Dave steps down. I see them going after Stewart or Colbert first.

by Anonymousreply 3803/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.