Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the difference between a "public" school and a "private" school?

I live in Canada. Once I had teacher in high school who was American and she told us that in the U.S. it was the poor people who sent their children to public schools in the U.S. In Canada, private school and public school are practically the same. Did you come from a public school and a private school? And is there a difference?

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013

In rich urban/surburban areas in New York/LA/DC,Virginia/etc, the magnet public schools are usually much higher quality than comparable private schools. In places like New Orleans, etc., the private schools are much better than public schools. It all depends on locale.

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2013

Public school is a school subsidized by localities and state government (through federal funds) that is part of an official school district. The school district system is the basis of governmental assurance that all Americans can receive education at public expense.

A private school is a school that is not part of the public school system. It may be part of a religious system (Catholic diocesan and Lutheran schools), part of a preK-through-high-school set of affiliated schools, a military academy, a Jesuit private academy, a rich Episcopal institute in the suburbs, the Quaker school where the Obama girls go, a school run independently by some other group, or any other expression of non-public education.

by Anonymousreply 203/21/2013

If the OP actually is simply (and like a typically vague Canadian) asking about comparative quality, as R1 reads it, then, yes, quality varies considerably.

But, really, OP - if you're an example of the Canadian education system you do need some remedial care.

Private here. It made a difference in my locale.

by Anonymousreply 303/21/2013

in the us public basically means it is free....private means you pay tuition

by Anonymousreply 403/21/2013

So if Canadian private and public schools are practically the same, why would someone in Canada pay tuition to send their kids to a private school?

In the US the case is usually that people put their kids in private schools because they consider them superior to public schools.

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2013

r1, what's a "magnet" school?

by Anonymousreply 603/21/2013

In Canada rich people send their kids to the same private schools they attended when they were young.

The difference in Canada is that the elite are better hidden from view. I didn't realize there was a real Canadian upper class until I was in my twenties. And now I'm annoyed that Canada is not the meritocracy we pretend it is.

But we have healthcare and a social safety net so it's less of a call to arms than in the states.

by Anonymousreply 703/21/2013

[quote] The difference in Canada is that the elite are better hidden from view. I didn't realize there was a real Canadian upper class until I was in my twenties. And now I'm annoyed that Canada is not the meritocracy we pretend it is.

Almost everythinbg is hidden in Canada, especially the RACISTS. Canadians like to pretend. It is why I prefer the US, I want to kn ow who the racists scumbags are, and in the US they show their colours, so you know what to expect and where/who to avoid.

However in Canada, they all pretend we all hold hands and sing kumbaya but the minute you turn your back, racist insults are thrown at your back. Or you are refused service or given hostile attitude not knowing why, when all along you thought so-and-so was cool with you.

Canada - Avoid the people at all costs!

by Anonymousreply 803/21/2013

"Private school" is an inconsistent use of the word private in American English. An establishment that is open to the general public for use, as in "public accommodation" or pub(-lic house), should be referred to as "public". A private school should be, as with a "private" club, open only to certain people, like with a Jewish school or something.

by Anonymousreply 903/21/2013

Very much depends on location, even within the metropolitan. Since public schools are funded by taxation that's appropriated via district, the richer districts can and do vote for higher taxes to fund a superior public education. In turn, the notable public school helps to keep property values up since parents of school-aged children will keep public education quality in mind when house hunting.

Of course, the opposite can happen when areas that distrust the appropriation of tax dollars vote against fully funding public education. These are typically the conservative leaning constituencies. The private schools that cater to these families are inferior to the truly outstanding private schools, schools that require passing a tough entrance examination to attend.

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2013

In a private school you child associates with the right people and makes connections that will benefit him/her throughout life.

In a public school your child associates with riffraff and will pick up heavens knows what substandard behavior and idiotic notions.

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

Look at at this why....people like me went to private school....people like you people went to public.

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

R9, it's a proper use of the term "private."

Private schools are only available to certain people, those who can afford to pay for their child's admission. They aren't available to everyone, that's the point, that's why they're generally viewed as prestigious and exclusive. Many in New York have long waiting lists or you have to "know someone" to even get a shot at an interview.

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

In wealthier places, few upper class parents send their children to private schools. Their taxes pay for a superior public education.

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!