Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A 1,300-year-old house, Tasteful Friends

Impressive, or missed opportunity?

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2013

I love the house but the inside is too white, stark and modern. I like the fact they kept some of the stone walls inside.

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2013

I love, live and work with animals but the description of 1300 years of animal excrement smell grossed me out. Also, He should've stuck with art deco.

It also reminds me of a novel (a good one) about an American couple who bought a Tuscan villa and were renovating it. I loved that book, I wish I could remember the name of it.

by Anonymousreply 203/21/2013

I'm sorry, but I saw Under the Tuscan Sun and if two hours of it was too much for me, even with Raoul Bova, I don't think an actual property would be worth owning.

by Anonymousreply 403/21/2013

There's not much to it, is there?

Usually we get 20 photos of 300 square ft. apartments. Here we have very bland photos of an enormous space.

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2013

That is the life.

by Anonymousreply 603/21/2013

Beautiful place, poorly done article.

by Anonymousreply 703/21/2013

A lovely building, and the church next door extraordinarily so, but the renovation is a mixed bag.

The newly installed windows and doors, in particular, look cheap and mean -- inside and out, but especially outside where the rich texture of the old building is thrown off by the ill-fit demilune and other glazing. The spaces are very nice, the finishes a bit boutique-hotel-generic, and the furnishes and decoration somewhere between adequate and emir's palace compound (on a budget.)

[quote] Elisabetta Bruscolini and Giancarlo Astrologo are passionate collectors of friends, objects and, yes, homes.

Too bad that with all that collecting they didn't pick up much taste, or even a sense of personal style.

by Anonymousreply 803/21/2013

It's nice except for the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 903/21/2013

Are you all insane? It is a breathtakingly gorgeous home, and I absolutely ADORE their minimalist style. Who needs all kinds of clutter everywhere, and all sorts of patterns and tchotchkes and crap all over the walls and on every available surface?

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2013

What R1 said.

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

I LOVE old, OLD homes, but this just seems dank and horrible, both the exterior, the grounds and the decor. It depresses me just looking through it.

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

It's old but rather unattractive, and furnishings are pretentious and ugly. I love the way they light it up like an amusement park at night. Somebody has too much money.

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

I'll add, WHY do people with large amounts of money go overboard in their pretentiousness? Why must every 1% douche's home be a 'gallery'? I realize it has a lot to do with individual tastes, but aren't ANY of these people into making their homes comfortable and inviting? Must every rich person's unique home be all about stacked books, 'edgy' stark artwork and primary colors??

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013

Those antique Syrian chairs are gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1503/21/2013

I like the correction at the bottom of the page. Tuscan, Turkish... well, it's close enough.

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

[quote] Elisabetta Bruscolini and Giancarlo Astrologo are passionate collectors of friends, objects and, yes, homes.

God, the New York Times really makes me long for a better Occupy movement.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

Why buy a really old house and turn it into some bland white walled hotel resort? Just because you can?

by Anonymousreply 1803/21/2013

[quote]I'll add, WHY do people with large amounts of money go overboard in their pretentiousness? Why must every 1% douche's home be a 'gallery'?

If you are going to collect art you have to have somewhere to display it. I agree the house is stark. It seems they don't spend much time there.

by Anonymousreply 1903/21/2013

It's a foreclosure sale. The home's been on the market since 1563. Stay away.

by Anonymousreply 2003/21/2013

I like it very much.

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2013

Perfect house, if it's all comparable to the pictures. In practice, I suspect there would be substantially more clutter. But Italian modern is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 2203/21/2013

I could live there happily. I'd add a [italic]bit[/italic] more color, but I wouldn't want to clutter it up either.

by Anonymousreply 2303/21/2013

Worth it if you can afford it. Love everything they did except for the austere contemporary fireplace.

by Anonymousreply 2403/21/2013

It's in Italy so the interior decoration must be beyond ostentatiously tacky.

by Anonymousreply 2503/21/2013

Love it! Okay, I'd redecorate a bit, since none of the art is really to my taste, and the windows are all a bit small and low by modern standards.

But when I got bored I could shoot arrows and pour boiling oil out of those small old windows. That would be cool.

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2013

The house is to die for, but I wish the interiors were a bit more relaxed. Inside, it looks like it could be a city interior. I love contemporary modern, but not in a villa in Tuscany.

My fantasy is to retire in a home like that; away from the world, near a small town; to live like a peasant.

by Anonymousreply 2703/21/2013

I prefer the minimalism of this artist who converted a wing of an Italian monastery:

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!