Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does anyone else find clown and ventriloquists dummies creepy?

I don't why but they are horrible.

by Anonymousreply 2903/21/2013

It's because you saw that Anthony Hopkins film from decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2013

No, you're the very first person to ever think this.

by Anonymousreply 203/21/2013

I have always hated clowns

by Anonymousreply 303/21/2013

Everyone feels this way.

by Anonymousreply 403/21/2013

Not in the slightest. You're hallucinating.

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2013

Odd question, OP.

Clowns have been a "cool" thing to say that you're afraid of for about 30 years. You've really never heard some hipster yammering on about how they're afraid of clowns? (Substitute dummies, mimes, Lisa Frank etc for variety). It seems it's almost become a cliche to say you find them scary not funny.

It would be more unusual to meet someone nowadays who said, "Clowns aren't scary or weird at all! I think they're a real hoot!"

by Anonymousreply 603/21/2013

So how do clowns still find employment if everyone finds them creepy? Do any kids actually enjoy them?

by Anonymousreply 703/21/2013

I remember as a kid being a little scared of the commercial for the movie 'Magic' with Anthony Hopkins and a ventriloquist dummy.

by Anonymousreply 803/21/2013

Yes. Ever since the aforementioned Magic with Anthony Hopkins. But I've always found clowns really scary.

by Anonymousreply 903/21/2013

Not in the least.

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2013

[quote]So how do clowns still find employment if everyone finds them creepy?

Isn't it amazing how every person on this planet finds all clowns creepy! Everyone at DataLounge totally agrees with this.

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

There used to be a commercial where a Mrs. Butterworth bottle started talking and actually slid across the table. It was horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

I've never understood how Edgar Bergman and Charlie McCarthy became a nationwide sensation.

A ventriloquist on the fucking radio? Simpler times, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

I was scared shitless of ventriloquists dummies when I was a kid. Its not because of the movie thats been mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013

[quote]A ventriloquist on the fucking radio? Simpler times, I guess.

You know, I never thought about it that way! But I think he was also famous for working in clubs so people knew he was an entertainer. But, yeah, totally didn't have to worry about his lips moving.

by Anonymousreply 1503/21/2013

Yes. One time when I was about 17 and at the gym this gay ventriloquist dummy my dad knew kept telling me how handsome I was. Totally creeped me out.

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

[quote]It's because you saw that Anthony Hopkins film from decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

One of the only times I ever picked up a guy at a bar and brought him home I noticed he was covered in clown tattoos. He also had gone to "Klown Kollege" and worked in a circus. I couldn't go thro with it. But it worked out, he ended up doing my much hotter roommate. This guy used the word "clown" as a verb.

by Anonymousreply 1803/21/2013

They're creepy because the mouth is smiling while the eyes are not.

by Anonymousreply 1903/21/2013

As a really young kid, my grandma tells me that I was terrified of clowns. There was a local clown show and supposedly when it was on, I would hide behind the couch until it was over. Fear of clowns is fine if you're a kid, but why would a teen or adult be afraid of them? For the record I don't find them funny or amusing either.

by Anonymousreply 2003/21/2013

In all honesty I get creeped out by people who state that they're creeped out by clowns. You sound stupid going around saying that clowns creep me out even if they still do.

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2013

I've always enjoyed ventriloquist dummies.

by Anonymousreply 2203/21/2013

r17, I remember watching "Three's Company" as a child, and during the commercial break the "Magic" commercial appeared. I was scared stiff.

As for clowns, I never liked them. I don't funny or scary--just sad. It just seems like the make-up and colorful costumes hide sad, lonely, attention-starved people. And the only time I ever got close to a clown he had bad breath.

by Anonymousreply 2303/21/2013

I feel the same way about drag queens.

by Anonymousreply 2403/21/2013

I have no problem with the old school professional circus clowns. I just assume they're degenerate alcoholics, and I can respect that.

It's the amateur clowns that raise flags for me. Maybe part of it's Gacy, but I automatically assume that the person is either nuttier than a fruitcake or is a phedophile.

Mimes, clowns, and magicians, they all pale in comparison to model railroaders.

by Anonymousreply 2503/21/2013

Maybe Gacy ruined them for everyone R25. Maybe we subconsciously think of them as serial killers or pervs.

Pennywise didn't do them any favors either.

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2013

I like clowns.

by Anonymousreply 2703/21/2013

Clowns don't bother me. But that dummy from Magic scared me shitless back in the day

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2013

I dated one in college and could not understand why he always had this guy following him around. Then it turned out he was into being fisted.

by Anonymousreply 2903/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.