Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gave "Modern Family" another try last night...

and I just don't enjoy it.

One thing that struck me is that I don't sense any warmth. Cam and Mitchell doen't even act like they like one another.

And that Lily brings down every scene she's in. Doesn't anybody at ABC see what a bad actress she is?

by Anonymousreply 4003/22/2013

Well at least you tried. Move along then.

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2013

A lot of married couples don't like one another.

by Anonymousreply 203/21/2013

Last time ABC had a horribly acted infant role, it catapulted into a 1-billion dollar empire.

And "Modern Family"'s Lily doesn't come in a set.

by Anonymousreply 303/21/2013

I say recast the role- again.

by Anonymousreply 403/21/2013

Lily is awful. She actually has funny lines but she ruins them.

Plus, she's ugly.

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2013

The characters are all rich, mean and unlikable. Well Ty Burrell's isn't so mean, and I like him. But I've tuned out as well. The cast is a bunch of preening ego-ed out assholes.

by Anonymousreply 603/21/2013

She did well in a scene with Sophia a couple of weeks ago. Apart from that , I've not been impressed.

by Anonymousreply 703/21/2013

I like the new Lily. She's very dry! Did you see her delivery when she was getting photos taken as famous movie stars?

by Anonymousreply 803/21/2013

I kind of liked the bumper that she did with Elizabeth Banks a couple of episodes ago-but, other than that, she's shit. The whole show has sucked for the last 2 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 903/21/2013

Oh, maybe it was Elizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2013

First season was great when it was all fresh and new. Then they got popular and self-satisfied. The show went to shit. As with many/most popular sitcoms. Same thing with Big Bang Theory. They are all so self-conciously "funny" now. Modern Family might have been ground breaking when it first aired but, honey, that ground was broken a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

This show was wretched in every way since day one and --OP is right-- time has not improved it.

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

R11, who are you calling "honey"?

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

The very successful show portrays an out and proud gay couple raising a daughter as totally normal and acceptable. Of course DL hates it.

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013

I think it's good for what it is, but I realized recently that I'm just completely over the sitcom genre. It's such a limited format, even for those that consider themselves boundary-breakers (and most of them aren't).

by Anonymousreply 1503/21/2013

Lily is funnier in one episode than that Whitney woman her entire career. I seriously would not want to meet anyone who thought Whitney was funny.

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

OP, we've seen this thread before -- probably started by you.

If you don't like Modern Family, move on. Don't know why you're obsessing over a show no one forces you to watch.

And Lily? The kid is HILARIOUS.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

The whole Godfather thing was overdone last night.

by Anonymousreply 1803/21/2013

Uh-oh... r17 is really tetchy because it's her favorite show and she looks forward to it every Wednesday night, and now you've clearly pissed her off and she's having a moment and maybe we'd all just better quietly exit....

by Anonymousreply 1903/21/2013

But it's the truth, r19 (except for the part about Lily being hilarious). We have seen this thread twice before within this last month - one about how Cam and Mitchell's relationship is so despicable and one that had a title very similar to yours (something along the lines of "I decided to try MF and give it the benefit of the doubt").

by Anonymousreply 2003/21/2013

[quote]The very successful show portrays an out and proud gay couple raising a daughter as totally normal and acceptable. Of course DL hates it.

Really? So, just because it shows a gay couple, we're supposed to love it even if it is a piece of shite? Is a black person racist if he hates some of the blaxploitation movies and programs that come around and aren't very good?

I do get annoyed at the constant bickering between Cam and Mitchell and I don't think the kid is very good, but the show is still ok. I never thought it was more than ok before and I don't think it is more or less than ok now. I hate Ty, btw. I have to mute the tv when his Verizon advert comes on.

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2013

Did anyone ever tell that you look lke a young Van Johnson?

by Anonymousreply 2203/21/2013

I think it's terrific, for the most part, and miles funnier than most other alleged comedies. Of course the freshness has worn off to an extent, but when it's firing on all cylinders it is laugh-packed.

by Anonymousreply 2303/21/2013

The camera work alone makes it intolerable. It's not a documentary on the Battle of Stalingrad. If you can't tell your story without shaking the camera around, you can't tell your story.

by Anonymousreply 2403/21/2013

Sofia Vergara is tedious and not funny. Same with the blonde nervous wife. They're just not funny or likable characters. Bring back Roseanne!

by Anonymousreply 2503/21/2013

I am OP and have never started a thread on this show before.

Anybody who finds Lily funny has to be kidding. That child is the death of comedy.

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2013

I can't stand Patty Heaton as a person but for some reason, like her projects and I think "The Middle" is a lot funnier.

by Anonymousreply 2703/21/2013

The cast of MF is most annoying on the red carpet. Bunch of attention whores who still think their show is the "it" show.

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2013

Agree about The Middle. Plus you get the hot boy with the yummy treasure trail near nude every episode! Those characters are more relatable to the 98% as well.

by Anonymousreply 2903/21/2013

They portray Jay and Gloria in particular as rich, entitled assholes and yet somehow we're supposed to find them both deeply lovable.

I feel like the show's going to get even more intolerable once Luke and Manny hit puberty which seems like it could be any second now.

by Anonymousreply 3003/21/2013

Charlie McDermott as Axl is the only good thing about that show. He is the only likable and genuinely funny person on that show.

And the older Atticus Shaffer gets, the creepier he looks. That kid could easily do an American remake of "The Tin Drum."

by Anonymousreply 3103/21/2013

I agree r30, they are going to be even more annoying than they are now. I kind of stopped watching as Lily got older too. Add the fact that Lily went from being a toddler to being a seven year old in one summer and it's pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 3203/21/2013

Jesus, can the anti-Modern Family trolls just give it a rest?

I'm sure we all thank you for "giving it another try", dear, but who cares? Get a blog.

by Anonymousreply 3303/21/2013

OP, it makes me cringe, it's so bad. I agree. I have friends that love it, and I simply stay busy in the kitchen while they watch it.

by Anonymousreply 3403/21/2013

Does anyone know what an oaf like Jay does for a living to get so rich? I'd like to know. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 3503/21/2013

My husband and I love the show. Undoubtedly, there is an instance every episode when we look at each other and roll our eyes. I agree with previous posters that say the show has become too self-aware. But the writing is mostly good, and it has a good message.

I too will echo how bad Lilly is in the show. We figure she belongs to someone on the set with a lot of power. Bad acting, and just...odd looking.

by Anonymousreply 3603/21/2013

You know who looks retarded? Jaime Oliver.

by Anonymousreply 3703/21/2013

I like watching it and only cringe at three things:

Lily (never funny - pangs of Michelle in "Full House" what with the script asking her to spout out hip phrases for cheap laughs, esp. when the actressette evidently doesn't even know what they mean).

Manny (lousy actor, rarely funny - sounds like he's reading all the time. Must be good at memorizing copy b/c they give him a lot of boring shit to say. Has no excuse, because this actor, as opposed to Lily, knows the meaning of the words he's spouting out and he's still unfunny).

The show's portrayal of Colombians (sometimes funny, sometimes bordering on offensive, especially this week. Yes I like when Gloria - an individual character - is portrayed as an expert gunslinger, to effective humor. But when every reference and link to her hometown and heritage is depicted as backwards and/or opportunist, "I no like so much." And what is Elizabeth Peña, age 51, doing playing mom to Sofia Vergara, age 40? I'll tell you what! - Sofía is gorgeous and playing 35, and Elizabeth, with extra pounds, a matronly figure, and matronly hair/clothes, is being groomed to look 55. the irony is that the latter is more assimilated to American culture than Vergara).

by Anonymousreply 3803/21/2013

Plus you get the hot boy with the yummy treasure trail near nude every episode!

He and the show's gratuitous [thankfully] weekly exposures of his physique deserve a thread of their own, So don't derail this one, however repeated the subject matter.

by Anonymousreply 3903/21/2013

Uh-oh...R19 is really tetchy because she started ANOTHER thread about Modern Family and it's pretty much gone nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 4003/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.