Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What were the weakest Oscar Best Actress years?

By request for 11 in the Best years thread

by Anonymousreply 3804/29/2013

1994, 2005, 1986, 1963 comes to mind

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2013

1986 was ok....I like Jane Fonda in The Morning After and Sigourney in Aliens...Sissy is funny in Crimes of the Heart is a little old for the part. Marlee was just deaf and I never got the appeal of Kathlenn Turner in Peggy Sue...if you watch the video Turner seems to think she will win:

by Anonymousreply 203/21/2013

Other than the ones already mentioned:

1970 had Glenda Jackson (Women in Love), but the rest are forgettable: Sarah Miles (Ryan's Daughter), Carrie Snodgress (Diary of a Mad Housewife), Jane Alexander (The Great White Hope), and the absolutely terrible Ali MacGraw (Love Story).

1992 was also pretty bad. Emma Thompson (Howards End) was an incredibly deserving winner, but the rest were good actresses in weak roles: Michelle Pfeiffer (Love Field), Susan Sarandon (Lorenzo's Oil), Catherine Deneuve (Indochine) and Mary McDonnell (Passion Fish).

by Anonymousreply 303/21/2013

I want to say 2003 because Charlize had it wrapped up from the beginning and there wasn't much of a race and Keisha Castle Hughes got in somehow, but Diane Keaton was wonderful in Something's Gotta Give and Naomi Watts and Samantha Watts were good too.

Hmmm. 1993 was kind of weak. Holly Hunter, Angela Bassett, Stockard Channing, Emma Thompson, and Debra Winger.

by Anonymousreply 403/21/2013

The sad thing about 1986 is that they didn't have many other options at all. The only replacements could have been the two other leads in "Crimes of the Heart," or Helena Bonham Carter as the least interesting character in "A Room With a View."

Sigourney was great in "Aliens," but that's the type of performance that, no matter how good, doesn't get in unless the Academy has no real choice but to nominate it.

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2013

Natalie Portman for Black Swan

Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook

Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side

Meryl Streep for Iron Lady

Reese Witherspoon for Walk The Line

a lot of recent nominees and wins have been outright laughable

by Anonymousreply 603/21/2013

I think you missed the point of the OP, R6.

by Anonymousreply 703/21/2013

I think one of the weakest was the year that Louise Fletcher won (1976) for Cuckoo's Nest. Yes, she gave a fine performance, but Nurse Ratched was a supporting role (not a lead).

The other nominees were Ann-Margaret (Tommy), Carole Kane (Hester Street), Isabelle Adjani (Story of Adele H) and Glenda Jackson (Hedda). I love Glenda Jackson, but that was not one of her best performances. The mother in Tommy is also not a lead role.

by Anonymousreply 803/21/2013

[R4] Keisha Castle Hughes getting nominated makes it a very weak year by default. She hinted at potential in the speech/crying scene (youtube link below) but in the rest of the movie was totally wooden. She has real trouble showing expression.

by Anonymousreply 903/21/2013

What r8? Of course the mother in Tommy was a lead role. She was a big part of the story, the whole reason why he was what he was. And she was the lead female in the movie. I don't think it was Oscar worthy but I do think it was a lead role. I remembered her in that movie over anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2013

1975 was a really controversial year...according to Inside Oscar there was a movement started by Ellen Burstyn to eliminate the Best Actress category for that year as a protest to how few good women's roles there were.

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

You’re right about Jackson in Hedda, R8. It was a case of an admired actress + a classic part = a nomination, regardless of the actual performance. The irony is that she should have been nominated (and win, compared with the competition) that year for her turn in The Romantic Englishwoman.

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

What is r4 smoking?

1993 was a fantastic year, and Bassett/Hunter/Thompson/Winger/Channing were ALL deserving, every single one of them.

Also, Catherine Deneuve was great in Indochine, and Adjani was wonderful in Adele H. -- those are career defining roles, not 'filler' nominations. Please.

In any case, the weakest best actress race was the year Reese f*cking Witherspoon won, stealing it from Imelda Staunton. The other nominees were so forgettable, I can't even remember them. Oh yeah, tv actress Felicity Huffman was in there. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

1947, the year Loretta Young won for THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER.

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013

R13, Witherspoon was not nominated the same year as Staunton, but a year later. Swank got her second Oscar over Staunton, who, indeed, should have won for Vera Drake.

by Anonymousreply 1503/21/2013

That year Reese Witherspoon won is the year that realy stands out for me.

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

Yeah, 1993 was a great year. All five of those women deserved their nominations and I would have been ok with Winger, Hunter, Bassett, or Channing winning.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

2002, 2003, 2005, 2009

by Anonymousreply 1803/21/2013

2005 was awful, probably the worst. Not a single actress deserved it that year nor would've got it any year. Then in a turnaround 2006 was great.

[quote]1947, the year Loretta Young won for THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER.

That was actually an okay year. Not good but there were worse, Young won because they wanted to give her the award.

by Anonymousreply 1903/21/2013

I'm the Vaseline smeared on the lens for close-ups.

by Anonymousreply 2003/21/2013

Sorry, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2013

This year was pretty bad

by Anonymousreply 2203/21/2013

R13/Streep troll, Reese Witherspoon didn't steal anything from Imelda Staunton. Staunton was nominated the previous year for Vera Drake and lost to Hilary Swank (for Million Dollar Baby).

R13, if Reese stole her Oscar from anyone, it was Felicity Huffman. To call her just a "TV actor" does a real disservice to the brave work she turned in in Transamerica.

Overall, I'm not quite sure you know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 2303/21/2013

2005 was disastrous. The actor category made it look like a joke.

by Anonymousreply 2403/21/2013

The 1975 race:

Isabelle Adjani, "The Story of Adele H"

Ann-Margret, "Tommy"

Louise Fletcher, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

Glenda Jackson, "Hedda"

Carol Kane, "Hester Street"

by Anonymousreply 2503/21/2013

1995 was especially weak. Jessica Lange's winning performance in Blue Sky was nothing special. She was nominated against:

Jodie Foster - "Nell" Miranda Richardson - "Tom and Viv" Winona Ryder - "Little Women" Susan Sarandon - The Client"

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2013

Hey! I take exception to that r26, I love Blue Sky and watch it all the time. The rest are lame though.

by Anonymousreply 2703/21/2013

2005 and 2009

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2013

One embarrassing thing about the year Lange won for "Blue Sky" was that if Linda Fiorentino -- nobody's idea of a great actress -- were nominated for "The Last Seduction," she might have been the deserving winner.

by Anonymousreply 2903/21/2013

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 3003/21/2013

Felicity Huffman was fantastic in Transamerica, "tv actress" or not.

by Anonymousreply 3103/22/2013

Agreed R32,she should have won over Witherspoon.

And please, everyone, stop using the word wonderful. It makes you sound like those boobs on All That Chat.

by Anonymousreply 3203/22/2013

1947 Loretta Young The Farmer's Daughter (won) Joan Crawford Possessed Susan Hayward Smash Up, Story of a Woman Dorothy McGuire Gentlemen's Agreement Rosalind Russell Mourning Becomes Electra

by Anonymousreply 3303/22/2013

No way, R25, the other 3 may have been weak filler, I don't know, but not the winner and certainly not Adjani.

Louise Fletcher was supporting in terms of screentime and may have been too restrained for some but at the very least Nurse Ratchet was one of the most iconic characters in cinema history and unforgettable.

Isabelle Adjani in Adele H though is one of the best performances of all time.

by Anonymousreply 3403/23/2013

Just watched Silver Linings Playbook and am riddled at how Bradley did not get a boatload of buzz and how Jennifer Lawrence was nominated, much less won. She imitated a petulant high school senior for most of the movie and didn't move her face for at least three scenes. Ole Harvey spins gold yet again.

by Anonymousreply 3504/29/2013

Ugh, Transamerica played like a young adult novel.

by Anonymousreply 3604/29/2013

[quote]Nurse Ratchet was one of the most iconic characters in cinema history and unforgettable.

And a supporting role, as it is in the play. Ann-Margret won raves and The Golden Globe for "Tommy" a tough role that is all sung. It was hardly a supporting role, she's in 85% of the picture. She should have won.

by Anonymousreply 3704/29/2013

The year Streep won for The Iron Lady (2011) was a good year. The Oscar clip with Colin Firth announcing all five of the nominees is classic.

The year Jessica Lange won for Blue Sky (1994) was weak. I can't remember any of the other nominees.

by Anonymousreply 3804/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!