Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon' To Film In New York, Says New York Times

Bill Carter of The New York Times reports that NBC has "quietly" been building "Late Night" host Jimmy Fallon a new studio in 30 Rockefeller Center in Manhattan for his expected move to "The Tonight Show" at 11:35.

The report comes as the clearest signal yet that NBC plans to oust current "Tonight" host Jay Leno in favor of the younger-skewing Fallon in the near future. Although the network has summarily dismissed all rumors citing as such, unnamed executives told Carter that the transition will occur "by the fall of 2014 at the latest."

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

This new must explain Leno's constant digs at NBC executives during his current monologues.

After what Leno did to Conan, well, fuck him.

Who will take over Fallon's time slot? Hope he keeps The Roots, they are excellent.

by Anonymousreply 103/21/2013

When I was a kid I wanted to be an NBC page (like Kenneth) but I forgot to apply! Oh well now that Sue Simmons is gone I'm less interested.

by Anonymousreply 203/21/2013

Leno did nothing to the bitter and unfunny Conan.

NBC and Conan did it to themselves.

Conan forced NBC to give him the job when the time was clearly not right.

Also, Conan is not right for the Tonight Show. I don't think Jimmy Fallon is either. Jimmy is much more likeable than Conan, but still not quite right.

And according to Deadline: Despite NBC’s bad shape in primetime — finishing fifth in the February sweep among adults 18-49 — and the buzz surrounding ABC’s 11:35 PM newcomer Jimmy Kimmel, Leno won the sweep decisively in both 18-49 and total viewers.

by Anonymousreply 303/21/2013

From Deadline.com...

Somehow, another NBC late-night transition has turned into a public drama. And this time, the two hosts involved are not even feuding. The network has found itself in a groundswell of speculation surrounding The Tonight Show host Jay Leno and Late Night‘s Jimmy Fallon. The network is staying mum on its plans, but a few things appear settled: Fallon is poised to replace Leno on The Tonight Show. When he does, he is not expected to copy his predecessor Conan O’Brien’s cross-country move from New York to Los Angeles. I hear Fallon and his producers had been lobbying for staying put in New York. Fallon’s current studio is being renovated, which sources say was part of a planned refurbishing of 30 Rock, and it will likely house the future Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon, marking the show’s return to the East Coast after more than four decades in Burbank. Leno’s current contract, which is up in September 2014, will likely be late-night host’s last one. In an interview with GQ, Late Night executive producer Lorne Michaels also hinted at the inevitability of Fallon’s anointment as new Tonight host. “I’m not allowed to say it — yet,” he said. “But I think there’s an inevitability to it,” He added: “He’s the closest to Carson that I’ve seen of this generation.”

With the players and the framework set, the biggest uncertainty in the transition appears to be the exact timing. There is speculation that NBC brass may have settled on an end date for Leno and that Leno and Fallon, who regularly chat on the phone, have discussed the issue in a call initiated by Fallon — though all sides are denying that there is a plan in place. For now, sources at NBC indicate that the network has no plans to announce Leno’s Tonight exit at NBC’s upfront presentation in May,though the rampant speculation may force their hand in the decision-making. An announcement of Leno’s retirement is tied with the introduction of Fallon as new Tonight host, something he has not been contracted for yet. I hear NBC has not started or is in very early stages of making Fallon’s deal for The Tonight Show.

Additionally, NBC is expected to give a final-season send-off for Leno, who continues to deliver for the network. Despite NBC’s bad shape in primetime — finishing fifth in the February sweep among adults 18-49 — and the buzz surrounding ABC’s 11:35 PM newcomer Jimmy Kimmel, Leno won the sweep decisively in both 18-49 and total viewers. And despite a series of jabs at NBC’s woes by Leno on The Tonight Show that led to emails of disapproval from NBC topper Bob Greenblatt, the two appear to be on good terms and are reportedly dining together this week. Also needed for a Tonight transition is a replacement for Fallon. While I hear potential candidates have been pitched (Howard Stern also recently threw his name in the ring), NBC executives are not taking official meetings yet. Of course, there are the potential internal candidates that had long been rumored about, like Saturday Night Live‘s Seth Meyers, who would follow in the footsteps of Fallon, also a former Weekend Update host; or E!’s Chelsea Handler.

As for Fallon, he tries not to get wrapped up in all the speculation. “It would be great, sure, I guess,” he told GQ about hosting Tonight. “I’d love it, but it’s not on my mind.”

by Anonymousreply 403/21/2013

Who the fuck will watch Fallon? He is a charmless snooze. (Not that Leno is any better, but how about finding someone better.)

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2013

How about Miss Tina Fey as hostess...her lay about husband could write the theme.

by Anonymousreply 603/21/2013

I like Leno and Jimmy Kimmel, Fallon not so much. the only segment (fallon) that cracked me up was the one where him and the star flip cards over and whoever has the higher card pours water over the other's head. so funny.

by Anonymousreply 703/21/2013

[quote]the only segment (fallon) that cracked me up was the one where him and the star flip cards over and whoever has the higher card pours water over the other's head. so funny.

Wow. Sounds hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 803/21/2013

I haven't watched those late night shows in years. However, I find Leno to be esspecially unappealing. Surprisingly, I like Kimmel.

by Anonymousreply 903/21/2013

I bet they have Andy Samberg replace Fallon. He's the latest SNL vet to flunk at movies and is probably the type NBC would go for.

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2013

R8, yes, Tom Cruise took part in this game and it was priceless.

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

Lorne Michael is truly GOD at NBC. His endless supply of comedic talent is viewed as a huge asset.

I am guess if Lorne wants something, he gets it. Jimmy owes everything to Lorne and worships him.

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

There are still a lot of us not dead yet.

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.