Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It seems like my happiness never sticks

Do you ever get that where you are just not happy for an extended period of time? You are happy one day and the next you are really depressed.

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2013

See a doctor. Happiness isn't a guaranteed every day or your money back kind of deal, but sounds like you're worried about depression. It might be that Prozac is your friend here or maybe some light therapy.

We all get depressed now and then but if it's worrying you it's time to do something about it.

by Anonymousreply 103/20/2013

It could be dysthymia, OP. Maybe try talking to your Dr. about starting on an antidepressant if you haven't already. I've been on Celexa for a few months and it's already helping me a lot with my chronically low moods.

by Anonymousreply 203/20/2013

Sounds either unconsciously you think you don't deserve happiness and somehow sabotage yourself or you aim too high and you are bummed out for not being closer to reach your goal(s) than you expected.

by Anonymousreply 303/20/2013

Yes, OP, I know exactly what you mean.

I think that the swing back and forth is just part of being human.

The human condition.

Moods can easily swing from day to day....and within a day, changing from morning to afternoon to evening.

I agree that happiness is certainly not something that can last very long.

by Anonymousreply 403/20/2013

What's happiness?

by Anonymousreply 503/20/2013

I never know from day to day whether I will be in a low mood and teary-eyed or in an average mood.

I rarely feel happy.

I might have a few hours in any given day where I feel somewhat good.

But I have to fight for any good mood. It doesn't happen often or easily.

by Anonymousreply 603/20/2013

Read this: 10 simple ways to save yourself from messing up your life.

Worrying about whether or not you're happy is on the list.

by Anonymousreply 703/20/2013

If you do go the anti depressant route, please read up on side effects and withdrawal symptoms. I had a lot of difficulty with withdrawal symptoms, and I vowed I would never go on them again. I'm currently receiving cognitive behavior therapy.

Pills can help many people, but doctors tend to play down the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 803/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 903/20/2013

Read R8. Pills can help but they can also create more problems. I've had bouts of depression. Most of my unhappiness came from failed relationships. I went to a therepaist and talked it out. No help, I tried to shoot myself. I tried to deal with it on my own but after the depression, came anxiety. So my practioner prescriibed lexipro or some anti depressant/anxiety med of that name. I gain 50 pounds. It was a side effect. I am now alone but not depressed, anxious, or bummed out but I am 100 pounds overweight which can, in of itself, be a source of extreme unhappiness.

by Anonymousreply 1003/20/2013

Being happy is too much work for some people. You need to constantly focus on the positive and good stuff that is happening around you while dismissing all the negativity and bad stuff or at least spin those into some (spiritual) learning experience.

by Anonymousreply 1103/20/2013

Oh get the fuck over yourselves and get on with it. Happiness is a choice.

And I say that as a formerly depressed person.

by Anonymousreply 1203/20/2013

No, It's not normal, called bipolar, see. Shrink

by Anonymousreply 1303/20/2013

That's because what you're talking about is relative happiness. Happiness that is attached to objects or your self worth. Temporary happiness. Absolute happiness depends on whether you feel your life has meaning and or a purpose.

by Anonymousreply 1403/20/2013

It could be dysthymia or cyclothymia, or just a reaction to life circumstances.

I have intermittent FMLA and have hardly been at work the past few weeks, due to back problems, exacerbated by job-related stress.

I went in this morning with a positive attitude. I'm happy to be employed (and need the money). It turned out to be one of the worst days I've had in months. I left work today completely miserable, knowing I'm going back tomorrow.

Obviously, I need a new, more rewarding job but so that's easier said than done. There are thousands of people who would love to have a reasonably paying job, or any job at all.

Still, knowing that did little to ease my pity party this evening.

by Anonymousreply 1503/21/2013

Well it may not be all great and good but it ain't that bad, so cheer up world it may never bloody happen!

Cheer could be worse!

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

Don't see a doctor, they prescribe pharmaceuticals to make you dependent. Do yoga or something more holistic.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

Are you exercising?

by Anonymousreply 1803/21/2013

Ah, such nostalgia! A character in "The Boys in the Band" observed "Show me a happy homosexual and I'll show you a gay corpse." Haven't we made any progress since then?

by Anonymousreply 1903/21/2013

All the time

by Anonymousreply 2003/21/2013

When spring comes for real, you'll be happier OP.

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!