Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"The New Marie"

In 1980, the Osmond family tried to re-tool Marie Osmond's image as sexy and alluring with a new variety show all to herself.

Somehow it failed, which is hard to imagine, given her sexy take on Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust"--which she even disco-fies!

by Anonymousreply 10305/13/2014

That is beyond bad.

Marie was beautiful though.

by Anonymousreply 103/20/2013

Wow, those state-of-the-art computer graphics in the intro are a thrill ride.

What the hell are the first and third images that emerge from the purple horizon? Inkblot nightmares? Flowers? Probably, but why?

by Anonymousreply 203/20/2013

She looks better with her hair pulled back. The look is 100% better than her usual look.

by Anonymousreply 303/20/2013

Isn't it about time she adopted another baby?

by Anonymousreply 403/20/2013

The choreography in that number is not bad, actually.

by Anonymousreply 503/20/2013

In that video, she seems like a very talented 16 year old at the school talent show... and just as sexy.

I met her once at a convention. She had the big hair and makeup plastered on with trowel. Later that evening I ran into her in the elevator. She was wearing jeans, a t-shirt, hair pulled back, and no makeup. She was quite beautiful. I guess she knows what her audience wants and she gives it to them.

by Anonymousreply 603/20/2013

Whenever I see clips like that, I always want to know what the background dancers are doing today. The shelf life for a background dancer must be fairly short so where do they go from there? Do they work a variety show circuit? Playboy? Playgirl? And yes, we all know JLo's start as a dancer but what about the rest?

I still want to WHET the two background dancers from Madonna's Dress You Up live concert video.

by Anonymousreply 703/20/2013

She gave me nightmares when I was young.

by Anonymousreply 803/20/2013

That dress in that clip is beautiful.Is that dress Bob Mackie? Yes, I agree, she does look fantastic in that clip. R7, a lot of those guys are probably dead from getting AIDS. I remember there was a poster on a thread around a year ago who said he used to be a background dancer and he said most of those guys on many of those variety shows died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 903/20/2013

This duet redeems the whole sick, twisted series.

Andy Gibb was supposed to play the male lead in Xanadu, and he would have been way better on the soundtrack than Cliff Richard.

Did he ever perform (or lip-sync) this song with Olivia? I think not!

by Anonymousreply 1003/20/2013

Marie's version of "9 to 5" below.

Did she change the lyric to "glass of ambition" because Mormons don't drink coffee?

by Anonymousreply 1103/21/2013

It's always been glass of ambition r11, to rhyme with "kitchen". Stumble out of bed and stumble to the kitchen, pour myself a glass of ambition.

by Anonymousreply 1203/21/2013

It's CUP of ambition.

And Grant Goodeve in the clip!

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

R12, it's CUP of ambition

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013

Lol r13, sorry, as soon as I posted I was telling myself that nobody has glasses of coffee..I'm an idiot.

My brother and I had Donny and Marie dolls when we were like 8 or so maybe. They had purple matching outfits, Marie's was a dress and Donny's a leisurey suit, satiny and cool. They also had microphones and maybe even a tape of their "hits".

by Anonymousreply 1503/21/2013

I'm sure most of those back-up dancers (male) are long dead.

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

I know people like her here but I've always found her unbearable. She just comes across as brash and phony in a way I don't respond well to.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

She does r17 and I don't like her now but as a kid her show with Donny was the thing to do on Sunday night! She doesn't bug me as much as the chanteuses from the OTHER Mormon family. I would like to punch Debby Boone right in her lifestyle lifted face because I can't take that song anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1803/21/2013

Just LOOK at her. You can tell right away that she's going to have a lesbian daughter in 6 years.

by Anonymousreply 1903/21/2013

Her and me both r19...

by Anonymousreply 2003/21/2013

She is doing her very best to sound exactly like OLJ in that number at R10.

Marie has no voice of her own.

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2013

Oh please Marie had a voice of her own. Youtube, googl, her recordings & her voice lazy ass. ONJ wasn't the only singer at that time you silly fag

by Anonymousreply 2203/21/2013

Back then this was a standard, almost prerequisite "star-lifting/diva trouncing leaping chorus boys" number, and it was actually done in an above average way. The kind of number Candice Bergen ("CANDY") and Merrill Streep would spoof in SNL and 'Death Becomes Her' respectively.

by Anonymousreply 2303/21/2013

There should be a thread with just clips of numbers like these from the 60's/70's/80's where the tough, sexed-up star walks and leans on subservient chorus boys who carry her all through the number.

90's pop princesses who can actually dance but are too wasted to do so need not apply.

by Anonymousreply 2403/21/2013

I can't believe Andy Gibb did himself in.

by Anonymousreply 2503/21/2013

R22, your Marie dolls are coated in dust and grease.

Really, can you tell her voice apart from... I don't know, anybody's?

Filty, urine-soaked liar.

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2013

I always forget how beautiful Andy Gibb was--Marie looked like a frump next to him.

I hated Marie's first metamorphosis during the D&M run. I remember my 12-year-old self gagging over this gushing promo:

by Anonymousreply 2703/21/2013

Those teeth could take over the planet.

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2013

This will blow your mind.

Marie's take on Billy Joel's "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me."

Love what her production team thought was a "punk"look.

by Anonymousreply 2903/21/2013

Ha, r29! That is too funny. It's like the 80's movies "punks" who always wore an ear cuff that was referred to by the good girl's parents as an earring. Like it would be so fucking hard to have a fake hoop or stud earring to go WITH the cuff. And the green hairspray streaks with the ripped jeans. I think I had one of those lightning bolt sweatshirts, it wasn't punk and I was an 8 year old girl. It looks like Nigel's sweatshirt that his lame girlfriend made him in Spinal Tap.

by Anonymousreply 3003/21/2013

More horrors: Donny and Marie's cover of "Reelin' in the Years" by Steely Dan.

by Anonymousreply 3103/21/2013

R29 she looks like Bride of Frankenstein.

by Anonymousreply 3203/21/2013

The Bride of Frankenstein, only crossed with a sculpted rendition of a lotus blossom.

by Anonymousreply 3303/21/2013

The Osmonds had built that huge, state of the art studio closer to home in Utah, to film all their future million dollar endeavors. Except... it didn't happen. Their popularity tanked as music and TV changed. So they ended up renting the facility out to other performers.

by Anonymousreply 3403/21/2013

She must have been costumed by devout Muslims. She's covered neck to toe albeit in shiny stretchy fabrics. It's reminiscent of how Janet Jackson Rhythm Nation videos were the only female centric videos allowed in the Middle East during the first Gulf War because she was similarly attired.

by Anonymousreply 3503/21/2013

I know someone who recently was her assistant - they come and go very often because no one can take the crazy. Her main job was to make sure that Marie kept to her pill regimen - "health stuff" sprinkled with prescription fortifiers, amounting to buckets of pills in the course of a day. That and making sure Marie was never alone, and that she was kept cheerful.

She said that Marie is not a bad person or anything. She wants to be a nice person. But she's an absolutely out-of-it lunatic with more fits and spells than a state hospital.

by Anonymousreply 3603/21/2013

Variety shows failed because they couldn't get the best singers to do them. A good famous singer is too busy with their recording and concert career to host a weekly tv show, so instead you get hacks like Marie. And she just couldn't sing well enough to keep people interested in turning in every week.

by Anonymousreply 3803/21/2013

R21 I felt she was channeling OLJ also, but all I could do was look at Andy Gibb and think "what a shame".

by Anonymousreply 3903/21/2013

It's like a slightly hipper Lawrence Welk Show, big surprise it flopped.

by Anonymousreply 4003/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 4103/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 4203/21/2013

I don't know r41. My close friends (like Karen Carpenter) called me ONJ, not OLJ.

by Anonymousreply 4303/21/2013

Olivia Lewton John

by Anonymousreply 4403/21/2013

[quote]Variety shows failed because they couldn't get the best singers to do them. A good famous singer is too busy with their recording and concert career to host a weekly tv show, so instead you get hacks like Marie.

The variety show was an incredibly successful television genre in the 1960s and 1970s. Ed Sullivan, Jackie Gleason, Carol Burnett, Lawrence Welk, Bob Hope, Perry Como, Dinah Shore, Andy Williams, Julie Andrews, John Denver, Mac Davis, Sonny and Cher, Bobby Goldsboro, Tony Orlando and Dawn, Flip Wilson, the King Family, The Captain & Tennille, Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell sisters, and, yes, Donny and Marie (with their first show) brought in millions and millions and millions of viewers.

by Anonymousreply 4503/21/2013

R32 R33 More like Ursula from The Little Mermaid.

by Anonymousreply 4603/21/2013

Marie you've done some changing Marie some rearranging

I still remember the promos from when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 4703/21/2013

And they ultimately failed, r45. Get with the times, especially since they'd only require you to be current with 33 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4803/21/2013

There were many ways you could land a show, most of which had to do with comedic talent or charisma. But no, you couldn't be a pop star charting hits while doing a variety show.

Most of them who were recording stars (Tony Orlando, Sonny & Cher, Donny & Marie, Captain & Tenille, hell, even the Jacksons as a single act) did their variety shows after they stopped charting. That subset of pop variety stars who gave good TV later found a better, less stressful and more commercial venue to stardom - through videos.

by Anonymousreply 4903/21/2013

By that logic ALL shows ultimately fail, r48.

What a stupid line of argument.

by Anonymousreply 5103/21/2013

So Marm, you're impervious to harm from the WM. Fine, then why not just post and ignore him? These taunting posts are unnecessary and clutter up the board. I've seen about 5 of them in the last few hours, so you must've made 10 or more.

by Anonymousreply 5203/21/2013

the Judy Garland tribute.

by Anonymousreply 5403/21/2013

If only you keep repeating the exact same argument over and over again, maybe other people will think you're really important and serious!

by Anonymousreply 5503/21/2013

R29, WOW! That is really scary! Oh My Gosh!

When I was a little kid we used to watch The Donnie and Marie show religiously. Now The Donnie and Marie show reminds me of variety shows I see when I channel surf passing the Chinese and Japanese stations with a male and female singing duo and having similar hair styles. I remember we used to watch Sha Na Na religiously as well around that time.Does anyone remember that show? They used have a 50s theme and have guest singers singing 50s and early 60s music and they would have little skits. I think it was one of the better shows in the late 70s and early 80s as far as variety shows.

by Anonymousreply 5603/21/2013

Now the link in R54 is very good on Marie. That outfit can be worn today because it's very simple and not trendy.

by Anonymousreply 5703/21/2013

I remember watching this show when it was on and I always associated it with Christmas. It premiered on December 12th. Ahh.

by Anonymousreply 5803/21/2013

r57, many of Marie's outfits are still extremely relevant to fashion today--many women today would look very hip in them:

by Anonymousreply 5903/21/2013

More Marie demonstrating her continued fashion relevance--while rockin' it to Phil Spector by making her own Wall of Sound with Donny:

by Anonymousreply 6003/21/2013

Her 'punk' look is Ursula from 'The Little Mermaid'

by Anonymousreply 6103/21/2013

Marie was a knockout in that clip, to look at.

Here is one of my favourite variety show medleys. Eydie Gorme and Carol Burnett singing songs from the movies.

There will be sequins and jazz hands and cornyness but also some spectacular singing, gentle harmonies and humour and a pow finish!

by Anonymousreply 6203/21/2013

True R45, and also certainly popular earlier than the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 6303/21/2013

Damn, Ruth Buzzie sp? made a career out of appearing as a guest star in all those shows.

by Anonymousreply 6403/21/2013

Wow...who knew Utah produced so much cheese?

by Anonymousreply 6503/21/2013

I remember when Mac Davis' wife Sarah ran off with Glen Campbell.

by Anonymousreply 6603/21/2013

I took a friend who loved Donny and Marie to their Christmas Show a couple of years ago expecting to be treated to a campy Vegas lounge act. But they both came off so well, real pros, and Marie really surprised me when she came out and did the opera number. I had no idea she could sing like that.

by Anonymousreply 6703/21/2013

Back to the fascinating mess that was the "Marie" variety program:

Here, the head-to-toe spandex returns, along with the silver boots, in a tribute to Pat Benatar.

by Anonymousreply 6803/21/2013

R61, see R46

by Anonymousreply 6903/21/2013

Donny was a hottie back then too. He seems kind of douchey now and his good looks as teen just don't translate well into adulthood, imo

Marie is pretty but her lips are looking pretty bad recently. I wonder if that messes with a singer's ability to sing, when their lips are practically immobile and overstuffed.

by Anonymousreply 7003/21/2013

Marie does Diana Ross's "I'm Coming Out" in the first scene of the first show:

Again with the not-bad choreography (I'm a fan of the fist-bump shimmy at 3:14).

by Anonymousreply 7103/21/2013

Oops. Correct link here:

by Anonymousreply 7203/21/2013

I was never a big fan of Donny and Marie and their "Goin' Coconuts" shtick... but the absolute worst was that phony little twerp Jimmy. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 7403/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 7503/22/2013

"Broadway Medley":

by Anonymousreply 7603/22/2013

Everyone was so Quarter Pounders with cheese.

by Anonymousreply 7703/22/2013

Marie must have particularly thin, R77. Her makeup added about 20 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 7803/22/2013

It was never cool to say so, but I always worshipped the Osmonds in the '70s. They were all very talented (save Little Jimmy). I played The Osmonds' Crazy Horses constantly. Donny had Puppy Lover, Marie had Paper Roses. I was in heaven everytime they sang.

My brothers could keep their Led Zeppelin and Peter Frampton shit and stuff it up their backsides. My sisters had their ABBA and K.C. & The Sunshine Band and those were okay. I always thought The Osmonds deserved a lot more respect. I think it was their youth that made everyone think they were a kiddy bubble gum act. They were awesome and I stand by that forever.

by Anonymousreply 7903/22/2013

R79 I sincerely hope you're joking.

by Anonymousreply 8003/22/2013

I remember Marie performing Ozzy's "Crazy Train" and The Runaways' "Cherry Bomb" on an episode and I can't find those clip anywhere. I know I did not imagine it.

by Anonymousreply 8103/22/2013

R81 If you didn't dream it, you were in an L.S.D. induced hallucination. She never performed those songs LOL. It would have been interesting to see. She did perform T-d N-gent's "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" though (just kidding).

by Anonymousreply 8203/22/2013

I remember an article in TV GUIDE after MARIE was canceled - her mother Olive was pissing and moaning saying, "I should never have let them to that to my little girl [presumably she meant NBC or whatever network it was on]. I knew it wouldn't work and was just the wrong way to go."

All I could think was - if it had been a hit, I am sure the old hag would have taken all the credit for the "new" Marie and been one of its biggest boosters!

The Osmonds re-invent themselves once a decade. I they are very talented and relentless. We are stuck with them until they die.

by Anonymousreply 8303/22/2013

My young life in the '70s was dominated by the music of The Osmonds and The Jackson 5. I think almost all gay men had a thing for them. It's part of our DNA. A lot of people don't like to admit it, but face it, it's true.

by Anonymousreply 8403/22/2013

R84 Not this gay man. I loathed the Osmonds with a raging intensity. I thought the Jackson 5 sucked ass too. My youth music in the '70s was Kiss, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Boston, The Stones, T.Rex, Heart, Styx and Aerosmith.

by Anonymousreply 8503/22/2013

R84 - Uh, no. Just no. I hated the Osmonds and the Jacksons. Both were acts for little kids and little old shut-in ladies.

by Anonymousreply 8603/22/2013

I think Marie was far more talented than the rest of her siblings. She could have had Olivia Newton-Lesbian's career if she had chosen to do so.

by Anonymousreply 8703/22/2013

R87 Or, if she had really changed her image, she could have had Wendy O. Williams' career. She would have looked great wielding a chainsaw on stage, wearing a loincloth, and with electrical tape covering her nipples.

She could have called her band the OSMATICS.

by Anonymousreply 8803/22/2013

Does anyone know who is the famous creep molested Marie when she was a little girl? Maybe that is why she acts the way she does as r36 described.

BTW, I never thought Donnie was hot. I once read on an online gossip website ,which was always on target with their gossip, claimed Donnie is in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 8903/22/2013

[quote]Does anyone know who is the famous creep molested Marie when she was a little girl?

It was one of her brothers, I always assumed.

by Anonymousreply 9003/22/2013

I didn't realize Marie was molested.

Back to Donnie. I thought he was very cute as teen until his early 20's.

I saw him on stage in Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat years ago, he was shirtless and looked quite fine.

I think his face is better looking if he doesn't smile. Too toothy otherwise.

I don't think his boyish good looks work well for a man who is in his 50's. Baby faces just don't age well. Not that he looks old, per se, just that his face didn't gain much with maturity.

Marie, was very pretty. A bit too plastic now, but very pretty. My thought when looking at all these old clips of her was that I can remember back in the day, before The Donnie and Marie show, that she was considered to be a little bit chubby. But when I see those shows, she is very thin. Was our sense of fat/thin really different back then?

by Anonymousreply 9103/23/2013

I'm utterly fascinated by the revelation that 'the dazzling new Marie' had a show of her own in 1980. I really had no idea! Interesting that they really did try to separate her from her past by introducing her simply as "Marie," and not Marie Osmond.

She likely could have had a much bigger career if her ridiculous Mormonism hadn't prevented her from playing Sandy in Grease, but then, the movie might not have been the massive hit that it was without Olivia Newton John in that role. Marie could have made that movie a massive bomb.

I had a friend who worked on the daytime Donny & Marie talkshow in the 90's, yet another reinvention that went nowhere, and he said that Donny & Marie were truly as nice and kind and as sweet as could be.

And people have always questioned Donny & Marie's talent but they have a very long contract in residence in Las Vegas, and are making millions from it, and they did a Christmas show here in LA this past year which opened to AMAZING reviews. People were somewhat blown away by what good singers they both are and said they could and should have had bigger singing careers.

by Anonymousreply 9203/23/2013

r89 You don't even have to qualify why you say it, this is DL, everyone is gay/closeted.

by Anonymousreply 9303/23/2013

[quote] don't think his boyish good looks work well for a man who is in his 50's. Baby faces just don't age well.

Pardon me?

by Anonymousreply 9403/23/2013

Holy shit, is that Robby Benson?

by Anonymousreply 9503/23/2013

I worked and toured with the osmonds back in the early 70's so have actual first hand insight (fwiw). They really ARE that wholesome and they pretty much have all gone through some pretty tough personal tragedy. Life was not easy for them and Marie wasn't naturally that thin....

And sorry, in my opinion Donny is not gay. He was with his wife from the time they were teens. Never saw any indication in any of them, although I would say that obviously there were tour people who were. And a nice percentage of the teens who mobbed them in every city were gay. Even back then Marie gravited toward them in the meet and greets where the guys, eh not so much although polite to all. Marie was in her element with them.

That family was tight, religious, and didn't have much personal freedom. With the mobs of teens everywhere (and grown creepy people) there always had to be tight security.

by Anonymousreply 9603/23/2013

This begs the question; when was "The Old Marie"?

by Anonymousreply 9705/13/2014

With Scott Baio.

by Anonymousreply 9805/13/2014

Before the variety show, she did a sitcom pilot for ABC, also called [italic]Marie[/italic] (1979). Not surprisingly, it didn't get picked up. Worth watching for the camp factor, though.

by Anonymousreply 9905/13/2014

I despise that fame-whoring fucking gash.

by Anonymousreply 10005/13/2014

R99 - Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 10105/13/2014

That sitcom is awful. If she's from Nebraska why is the shrill M.O. trying a sort of Noo Yawk accent? I've never heard of that accent rubbing off on anyone; you have to be born with it.

by Anonymousreply 10205/13/2014

R102 - But it's so awful, it's funny.

by Anonymousreply 10305/13/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!