Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING--Elaine Stritch to retire next month at 88!

But she has so many years left in her!

by Anonymousreply 4803/21/2013

Aw, I'm sure her health problems have gotten a lot more severe. She didn't look well when she guested on 30 Rock a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 103/20/2013

[bold] 71 Years in New York City Is Enough for Elaine Stritch [/bold]

Ms. Stritch, the husky-voiced actress who, with a Tony Award and three Emmys to her credit, became a beloved cabaret star in recent years at the Carlyle Hotel, said on Wednesday that she was giving up her apartment there and returning to her home state, Michigan. But not before she performs one last show, “Elaine Stritch at the Carlyle: Movin’ Over and Out,” from April 2 to 6.

Mere mention of the word “retirement” drew a gasp and flat denial from Ms. Stritch, who is 88. “What actor would ever say they’re done?” she fairly shouted over the telephone.

Still, in fragile shape after two recent falls and a hip replacement, she said she knew it was the end of an era.

(More at link)

by Anonymousreply 203/20/2013

I'm sure shes on the point of death if she's announcing this. She's one of those freaks like Joan Rivers who thinks she won't even exist if she's not still hearing applause.

by Anonymousreply 303/20/2013

Three Emmys?

I'm still pissed that she beat out Dixie Carter for Desperate Housewives. Stritch was doing her usual routine on 30 Rock.

by Anonymousreply 403/20/2013

As long there are gay men who want an old woman on stage to act loudly and obnoxiously and stridently so they can say to one another, "Isn't she a HOOT?", Elaine Stritch will always have a job.

by Anonymousreply 503/20/2013

Elaine Stritch is the only person in TV history to win Emmys in Both Drama and Comedy in the Guest Actress Category

[quote] I'm still pissed that she beat out Dixie Carter for Desperate Housewives. Stritch was doing her usual routine on 30 Rock.

It was in the COMEDY category. Dixie was playing it pretty creepy and rather dramatic

by Anonymousreply 603/20/2013

Know people who have worked with her. A real horror show.

by Anonymousreply 703/20/2013

A lovely woman. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 803/20/2013

She can go back to drinking.

by Anonymousreply 903/20/2013

No way she paid 1.5 mil for a condo in Michigan.

Please, you could practically buy all of MI for that amount.

by Anonymousreply 1003/20/2013

Please. Dixie Carter was one note, and basically talent-free. And she married Hal Holbrook, a known asshole. Elaine rules!

by Anonymousreply 1103/20/2013

Elaine Stritch should have been nominated for her role in Woody Allen's September.

Critics raved about her performance.

by Anonymousreply 1203/20/2013

She should have retired about three and a half years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1303/20/2013

I thought she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 1403/20/2013

Why would anyone who's that old voluntarily relocate to MICHIGAN? Don't older people usually prefer warmer climates? Or does she have a second home in somewhere with warmer winter weather?

by Anonymousreply 1503/20/2013

She feels her voice has been losing some of its lilt in recent weeks, so this is a way to leave while on top. If her voice regains its sweetness after a short break, she can make a big comeback on a national tour.

by Anonymousreply 1603/20/2013

SHIT!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1703/20/2013

I never liked Dixie either. Elaine, even less.

by Anonymousreply 1803/20/2013

[quote]Please. Dixie Carter was one note, and basically talent-free. And she married Hal Holbrook, a known asshole. Elaine rules!

And Elaine Stritch isn't one note? Honey, she's one note, off key and tone deaf too. She's moving to Michigan so one of her nieces or nephews will find the body before the cat eats her.

by Anonymousreply 1903/20/2013

Don't forget Dixie Carter was a Republican!

by Anonymousreply 2003/20/2013

I wonder how these nieces and nephews feel about this... They probably already went through the burden of caring for their own parents through their old age - and now here comes demanding, difficult Aunt Elaine, re-locating to a boring place where she doesn't know anybody and will be entirely dependent on them for socialization, visits, etc.... I wouldn't blame them for being less than thrilled.

by Anonymousreply 2103/20/2013

Dixie Carter SHOULD have won for Designing Women.

by Anonymousreply 2203/20/2013

LILT IN HER VOICE? When did she ever have a lilt in her "voice"? She's done nothing but bray and call it singing for most of her years.

by Anonymousreply 2303/20/2013

CLASSIC!

by Anonymousreply 2403/20/2013

BREAKING NEWS: Elaine Stritch's nieces and nephews have sold their homes in Michigan and are moving to homes in Punta del Este, Uruguay alongside the estate of George Bush friend Ken Lay. The Stritch relatives were hoping to keep their destination a secret but they were outed by blogger Perez Hilton.

by Anonymousreply 2503/20/2013

If you need someone to look after you and your finances, there's a spare bedroom next to zsa zsa...

by Anonymousreply 2603/20/2013

Attending Elaine Stritch At Liberty is a high point in my 34 years in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 2703/20/2013

[quote] Please. Dixie Carter was one note, and basically talent-free

You're dead to me. LEAVE NOW.

by Anonymousreply 2803/20/2013

R11/R18:

I'll have you know that Dixie did not just twirl ANY baton.

That baton was. on. FIRE.

by Anonymousreply 2903/20/2013

R29 Wrong sister.

by Anonymousreply 3003/20/2013

LINE!!

by Anonymousreply 3103/20/2013

[quote]LILT IN HER VOICE? When did she ever have a lilt in her "voice"? She's done nothing but bray and call it singing for most of her years.

You need to listen to her performance in SAIL AWAY from 1961. You will be surprised at how effectively she sings her love songs. And of course she excels at delivering comedy numbers. It's a pity she was not a bigger box office draw. This album suggests that she was perfectly capable of carrying a show.

by Anonymousreply 3203/20/2013

I said "most of her years". Not all. Most. 1961 was over 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3303/20/2013

You also asked when she had a lilt in her voice. If you would listen to SAIL AWAY from 1961 you would have your answer.

by Anonymousreply 3403/20/2013

[quote]She can go back to drinking.

Uhm....I believe that's already happened. I wonder if drinking contributed to the two recent falls...

by Anonymousreply 3503/20/2013

[quote]Uhm....I believe that's already happened. I wonder if drinking contributed to the two recent falls...

Being fucking 88 might have contributed to her falls too you Moron.

by Anonymousreply 3603/21/2013

The thing about Elaine Stritch is that if you like her you like her. But if you're immune to her charms (like I have always been), then nothing other people will say will ever convince you she's funny or fun or likable. She will just seem like the horrible loud obnoxious grandma you dread seeing.

by Anonymousreply 3703/21/2013

If she hasn't gone back to drinking yet, she will as soon as she spends one day in her Michigan condo with nothing to do and nowhere to go. Do you think she cooks!? Where will she eat? Cracker Barrel?

by Anonymousreply 3803/21/2013

R38, at this point she probably gets all her nutrition from sucking on a piece of zweiback with an occasional sip of Ensure laced with vodka.

by Anonymousreply 3903/21/2013

Drunk or sober she always sounds like she's soused.

by Anonymousreply 4003/21/2013

She's 88 -- let 'er drink!

by Anonymousreply 4103/21/2013

I only know her from 30 Rock. I love her.

by Anonymousreply 4203/21/2013

Does she have an autobiography or just the one woman show? If so, is the book good?

by Anonymousreply 4303/21/2013

[quote]If she hasn't gone back to drinking yet, she will as soon as she spends one day in her Michigan condo with nothing to do and nowhere to go. Do you think she cooks!? Where will she eat? Cracker Barrel?

C'mon she's already reserved the condo community center to put on shows. For a $125 cover charge of course.

by Anonymousreply 4403/21/2013

R37 nails it. I agree, from the other angle. I really like her work. Don't know her, can imagine she could be difficult - I have been known to be a bitch too, but only on days with a "y" in them.

by Anonymousreply 4503/21/2013

[quote] Does she have an autobiography or just the one woman show? If so, is the book good?

It's a pop-up book with sound effects. So to answer your question, no, the book isn't good.

by Anonymousreply 4603/21/2013

I met her at a party and we had a blast...of course she was 'on' the whole time so I was seeing persona vs. person, but persona is a charmer.

by Anonymousreply 4703/21/2013

It's funny listening to her tell the tale of her blown audition for The Golden Girls. Her own description of her actions recalls the behavior Noel Coward wrote about in his diary when he began to work with her on his musical, Sail Away.

Coward had been warned that she was difficult. He concluded that her troublesomeness wasn't of the evil kind. She was merely scattered and unprepared: the last to learn her lines and possessed of the annoying habit of re-writing dialogue that didn't need changing. Ultimately she stepped up and carried the show but only after a few childish and amateurish displays.

Stritch was originally cast as the second female lead. Her role and the leading lady's were combined into one and she ended up being the star. While she was still only a supporting player, Stritch complained loudly to Coward that an actress with an even smaller role (presumably Alice Pearce) was going to receive special billing with her name set off in a box and the word "and" before it. Coward warned Stritch that the next person who wasted his time with such trivia would find her name on the poster set off in a box with the word "but" in front of it.

by Anonymousreply 4803/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.