Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead

Just finished watching it after not having seen it in years (or rather decades) and it holds up extremely well.

Josh Charles is so adorable, as is Keith Coogan.

Shame the younger son OD'ed a while back.

by Anonymousreply 3803/21/2013

The alternate ending is much better.

by Anonymousreply 103/20/2013

I'm right on top of that, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 203/20/2013

What is the alternate ending?

by Anonymousreply 303/20/2013

What's the alternate ending? Just read Hollywood is remaking this one.

by Anonymousreply 403/20/2013

This is one of my guilty pleasures.

by Anonymousreply 503/20/2013

Chris Petiet (the one who overdosed) was a great friend of Leo's back in the day, I bet if was alive he would be on the yacht with him and Lukas.

by Anonymousreply 603/20/2013

Christina was fabulous in it.

by Anonymousreply 703/20/2013

Here you go, R6...

by Anonymousreply 803/20/2013

I absolutely love this movie. I've never heard of an alternate ending. Are you sure you're not thinking of Heathers?

by Anonymousreply 903/20/2013

R8, I cannot see the picture.

by Anonymousreply 1003/20/2013

I love the remake of "Dragging the Line" that's in this movie. It's a cool little teen flick that takes me back to my youth. Keith Cooogan was way too old to STILL be playing a teenager by this point, however.

by Anonymousreply 1103/20/2013

LOVE this movie.

by Anonymousreply 1203/20/2013

I love it! And Joanna Cassidy is in it as Christina's diva boss.

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2013

I'm right on top of that, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2013

I used to watch this movie EVERY time on t.v. Keith Coogan is gay, right? He gave off that vibe. Loved how cute he was after his "chef" make-over. In any case, he was a recurring character in the first couple of seasons on Will and Grace. He played one half of a couple who were friends of Will's. Still cute back then.

The movie also featured David Duchovny in an early douchebag role, and IIRC his then real life girlfriend played the receptionist.

by Anonymousreply 1503/21/2013

I love it too. Wow, r15, I didn't know that was his real life gf. I love the part where they go to the party and the stoner valet parking kid calls Duchovny "Metallica breath" lol, say what? How is that an insult when the kid who says it likes Metallica? I love shit written by 40 year olds for teens.. I think Duchovny calls her a "void" too. How edgy.

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2013

My favorite scene is when Applegate's car is stolen by three drag queens done up as Liza Minnelli, Dolly Parton, and Marilyn Monroe. FYI, the actor playing "Marilyn" also played the tranny who kicks James Caan's ass in "Freebie and the Bean".

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2013

Is Keith Coogan related to Jackie Coogan?

by Anonymousreply 1803/21/2013

Yes r18.

by Anonymousreply 1903/21/2013

Grandson. Keith changed his last name from Mitchell to Coogan early in his career as a tribute to his grandfather.

by Anonymousreply 2003/21/2013

A cult classic!

There's a funny Facebook page called: I know what petty cash is thanks to Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead

DTMTBD is just so campy. It's an early 90s movie, and it captures that time perfectly.

They've been having festivals for it in recent years. Keith Coogan even appeared, along with the writer. The writer did a big interview, revealing the back story to the script. No one wanted it. His agent submitted it. It was originally called "The Real World." A lot of things were changed, characters added. I do wonder if the writer is gay. I sort of got that impression, but with very little physical evidence to back it up.

"Talks like she's chewing her face?"

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2013

Oh and don't forget the "hip" uniforms from the fashion show r21. God those outfits were ugly and considering that most nurses are to put it delicately, not even close to being a size 2, I doubt they wouldn't want to wear those skin tight spandex monstrosities. Oh and a huge, dirty feather on a pen is "just what the doctor ordered" when dealing with people with open wounds that can easily get infected.

by Anonymousreply 2203/21/2013

They did a bunch of bad dubbing to not get an R rating. Christina is dubbed saying "punk" when she's actually saying "prick." In the drag queens screen, Christina says shit. They dubbed it to "Liza?"

Joanna Cassidy is divine!!! Her laugh is legendary.

The film is pretty ludicrous though. The babysitter's death has next to nothing to do with the plot, and how did they thing they were going to explain her death once the mother returned? The film called for a suspension of disbelief.

David Duchovny was funny. The receptionist was the biggest cunt of all-time, so perfectly captured.

There's a lot of goofs, including the calendar seen in the background, and the age on her driver's licence. IMDB has all of it.

They announced a remake two years ago. The writer brought up some good points about the problems trying to do that, most easily: technology. It's harder to get away with what Sue Ellen got away with today.

Did anyone have the VHS tape? In the beginning they had a contest to win Mrs. Sturak car.

Dan Castellaneta (Homer Simpson) did the voice of animated Mrs. Sturak.

I never put together who Danielle Harris was -- I had no idea that she had become a 'scream queen.' She still talks about Don't Tell Mom today, as fans still rush up to her and bring it up.

by Anonymousreply 2303/21/2013

That wasn't Coogan.

by Anonymousreply 2403/21/2013

It's such a fabulous film and every character is distinctive and lovable.

"TV ROTS YER BRAINS!!!! Go to your room - I expect a COMPLETE REPORT tomorrow morning on the life of the aardvark."

by Anonymousreply 2503/21/2013

It's SO moving:

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2013

I also thought the mom was a deadbeat for leaving her kids behind as she travels to Australia.

by Anonymousreply 2703/21/2013

To this day, if I'm feeling overwhelmed I'll say to myself, "Don't feel overwhelmed--just do one thing at a time!"

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2013

"AH YES! The QED report. I have that for you, Rose!"

"What are YOU doing with it? Sue Ellen, what is CAROLYN doing with it?!!"

"Cathy Henderson brought it by. It seems she's been COVERING for Sue-Ellen. Doing her work FOR HER."

"You let Cathy do the QED report?!"

"I was wondering... how you were going to get that and the research for the presentation done at the same time. BRAVO! You REALLY know how to delegate responsibility. Carolyn, you want to be EXECUTIVE material? KEEP AN EYE on SUE-ELLEN!!! YOU... YOU... ARE A PARAGON!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 2903/21/2013

I remember seeing this movie at the movie theater when I was a kid! Loved it!

by Anonymousreply 3003/21/2013

I love when Rose points out that Sue Ellen's computer has a mouse. Gurl you FAAAAANCY.

by Anonymousreply 3103/21/2013

What exactly IS a QED report?

by Anonymousreply 3203/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 3303/21/2013

I think Carolyn was playing a sex pervert on Southland last night.

by Anonymousreply 3403/21/2013

You can meet Keith Coogan and get the DVD signed at the Chiller Autograph show in Jersey next month.

by Anonymousreply 3503/21/2013

I always wanted a boss like Rose :)

by Anonymousreply 3603/21/2013

The ugly brother from Poltergeist was a little creep and so was the one who bought the girl a diamond. I always wondered why Suell didn't smack them for that. I liked Kenny though. Oh, excuse me, Kenneth.

by Anonymousreply 3703/21/2013

Whenever I'm dealing with someone stupid I say, "You need to PER-SO-NNEL."

by Anonymousreply 3803/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!